Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Both systems are great but the pandemic has greatly impacted software development. I'm happy I own both and I've been very much enjoying them, but things are going to feel off in the industry for the next couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

Saw a few people mention on Reddit that their Microsoft Store orders have shipping notifications now.

Nothing on my end, I hemmed and hawed a bit and was later than most so maybe in a week or so for me.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Beach Party posted:

My buddy just sent me this, anyone know what is going on? These numbers seem pretty impossible to achieve with a $65 basic comcast internet plan.

It's a bug that crops up sometimes that has never been fixed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I feel like for the casual-ish gamer like myself, exclusives aren't that big of a deal/are dealbreakers wrt console purchasing. I think Xbox's greatest draw is Game Pass anyways. Doesn't seem like any other service can match its value. I just wonder if Microsoft is eventually going to just ditch the hardware game and focus on xCloud.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
AstroBot is a worthy flagship title. That game is great. Also gently caress off back to GBS bzilla.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Game pass is pretty good if you have to have xbl gold anyway imo

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Crafty posted:

I've got too much of a backlog to get into emulating, but i'm a little worried the apps going to get taken down with the amount of attention its getting at the moment - so i might get the app now.

I want to play me some Powerstone.

It's only the "retail" workaround that will get nuked (because it violates MS Store policy), you will still be able to buy developer mode for £20 and run RetroArch as a UWP homebrew app.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Just watched a video with footage of all the consoles it emulates and seeing it play Marvel vs Capcom 2 perfectly along with Mario Strikers Charged was really cool :aaa:

Apparently it emulates the Sega Saturn really well also? It showed footage of Panzer Dragoon Zwei (I think?) and I thought it was one of those consoles that was too difficult to emulate but here it is running great. I wonder how that version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night runs? Supposed to be a worthwhile alternative to the PS1 version? Kinda crazy one console lets you choose between the BC 360 version or the PS1/Saturn versions via dev mode emulation.

This was all on Series S as well, the XSX is going to be even better and will be great to see if resolution increases etc. are included.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm not sure if it's because I was loving around in dev mode or if it's just because the Xbox capture system is incredibly hosed up and buggy but every single screenshot and video clip I'd saved since getting my Series X just got randomly deleted. Kind of annoying.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

bradzilla posted:

Demon's Souls is not the flagship title lmao
Demon's Souls and Astro's were the only PS5 exclusive titles at launch though, it's not hard to imagine the one game you have to buy and got a ton of advertising is the flagship. Also it fucken rules.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

How do you get the PS2 core working on Series X Retro Arch? I can’t see it there and I’ve got a hankering for some upscaled God Hand...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Astrobot was a great platformer, quite cute and fun. but it is supposed to be a tech demo.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

quidditch it and quit it posted:

How do you get the PS2 core working on Series X Retro Arch? I can’t see it there and I’ve got a hankering for some upscaled God Hand...

You need the Retroarch build from a few days ago:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xxzahekaysy9j8x/RetroArch_%2528v1.9.0%2529_%2528Build_4%2529.7z/file

This build added support for PS2 (but broke N64.) You also need to put bios in retroarch\system\pcsx2\bios.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Celexi posted:

Astrobot was a great platformer, quite cute and fun. but it is supposed to be a tech demo.

So?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Trying to figure out the game that bradzilla was being smug about, and coming up empty.

I’ve tried remote play today, works well aside from the fact my iPad doesn’t seem to recognise my controller thru the Xbox app

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently the patch that fixes assassins creed on Xbox fucks it up on PS5 so keep on keeping on Ubisoft

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

What's the best looking series X title out now?

Im not into assassins creed at all so was thinking of grabbing black ops for the campaign (still enjoying mw multiplayer with my friends who don't want to buy blops)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laserface posted:

Im not into assassins creed at all so was thinking of grabbing black ops for the campaign (still enjoying mw multiplayer with my friends who don't want to buy blops)

Tetris Effect.

But seriously, I think it's Gears 5 with the updates

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently it emulates the Sega Saturn really well also? It showed footage of Panzer Dragoon Zwei (I think?) and I thought it was one of those consoles that was too difficult to emulate but here it is running great. I wonder how that version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night runs? Supposed to be a worthwhile alternative to the PS1 version? Kinda crazy one console lets you choose between the BC 360 version or the PS1/Saturn versions via dev mode emulation.

SotN isn't really worth it on Saturn except as a tech curiosity. It's a Japanese-only release (although someone literally just released an unfinished English patch less than a month ago) and that version has porting concessions, like longer load times and more of them (remember the PS1 version was literally structured around loading areas with those "CD" hallways, now there are new ones that break the flow), and instead of a proper transparency effect you get checkerboard dithering. That said, it's the only version with certain extra playable characters (the PSP/PS4 version extras are different in this regard).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Forza horizon is absolutely the most annoying game to try and pick up and just play it is infuriating.

I had like 7 menus to back out of then an unskippable cut scene advertising packs

Oh and now I'm in ANOTHER menu gently caress sake

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Is anywhere expected to have in stock for Black Friday?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laserface posted:

I had like 7 menus to back out of then an unskippable cut scene advertising packs

Those pack ads definitely suck, I’m with you on that.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

As a long time Xbox Insider and former alpha channel tester, Insider builds shouldn't install automatically, they should present a splashscreen at first boot that asks you whether you want to install the update or skip logging into XBL and use the console offline, UNLESS you are in instant-on mode. If you're in instant-on mode.....then you shouldn't be worried about your system getting updated from a really old OS version, because even if you didn't use it for weeks, it would have still been installing the latest system updates available the entire time. If you were able to go in and unenroll the box from the Insider program from your account settings/the app/the website, the console should automatically get the signal for a fresh install of the latest retail build upon connecting to the internet.

I can't be sure but I suspect that you may actually have a hardware problem. If you cannot factory reset without seeing "Something went wrong", I think you may have a real bonafide hardware problem on your hands. Try connecting an ethernet cable if you haven't got one plugged in and doing the factory reset with it hardwired to the net.

My X1X has been in the Insider program literally since the first day I got it so I'll do some snooping, if I find anything out, I'll let you know

I'm not in Instant On mode, unfortunately. I took my X to a game repair shop that can replace the HDD. We'll see if they can get it fixed :-/.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

univbee posted:

SotN isn't really worth it on Saturn except as a tech curiosity. It's a Japanese-only release (although someone literally just released an unfinished English patch less than a month ago) and that version has porting concessions, like longer load times and more of them (remember the PS1 version was literally structured around loading areas with those "CD" hallways, now there are new ones that break the flow), and instead of a proper transparency effect you get checkerboard dithering. That said, it's the only version with certain extra playable characters (the PSP/PS4 version extras are different in this regard).

Also everything is a pixel wider so it all looks off.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Laserface posted:

Forza horizon is absolutely the most annoying game to try and pick up and just play it is infuriating.

Oh and now I'm in ANOTHER menu gently caress sake

I’ve got this problem where every time I start it up I’m in Lego Island. I can travel to the mainland and save after races but it still warps me back there. What am I missing?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think you always start the game in one of your purchased properties. Go find a house you own on the main map and select it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

I think you always start the game in one of your purchased properties. Go find a house you own on the main map and select it.

Thanks, didn’t think of that. It’s been driving me crazy.

I swear the Horizon series is what kept me on Xbox last gen and prompted me to get an X. gently caress Halo, this is their killer app.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I haven't played a racing game in 15 years because I thought I find them boring, but I'm having a whole lot of fun with Horza 4. Wouldn't even have glimpsed at it if it wasn't on game pass.

Also, what's the difference between Horizon and Motorsport? I read the latter is more serious and realistic?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

John F Bennett posted:

Also, what's the difference between Horizon and Motorsport? I read the latter is more serious and realistic?

Pretty much. Not open world, more focused on perfecting the tracks/lines, tuning your car, etc. Kind of Microsoft’s version of Gran Turismo.

It seems as though the Horizon series has eclipsed Motorsport in popularity, but I haven’t looked at the numbers or anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

Gears 5

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder how that version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night runs? Supposed to be a worthwhile alternative to the PS1 version? Kinda crazy one console lets you choose between the BC 360 version or the PS1/Saturn versions via dev mode emulation.

To add to the earlier comments on the Saturn version, see the following quote on the SoTN wikipedia page by the one of the main designers of the game:

quote:

I understand why fans who've never played the Saturn version would be interested in those features, but I really, really don't feel good about them. I couldn't put my name on that stuff and present it to Castlevania fans.

—Koji Igarashi, June 2007

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The reason to play the saturn version is that there is an entire new section of the castle to explore and another character to play as.

The reason not to play the saturn version is basically literally everything else

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Barudak posted:

The reason to play the saturn version is that there is an entire new section of the castle to explore and another character to play as.

This is exactly why I'd love to play it, just to play as Maria, who is super fun to play as on Rondo of Blood. But I've not heard anyone say this game is really worth playing just for that.

They should almost add an emulator specific option for saturn to delete every 4th pixel, then it would be back to normal (sans transparency)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

American McGay posted:

AstroBot is a worthy flagship title. That game is great. Also gently caress off back to GBS bzilla.

The Xbox Series has no games

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

bradzilla posted:

well that's a relief to hear, I have a Series X and not a Series so i prolly got like infinite games, they just keep tumbling out the disc drive

meanwhile somewhere in another universe there's a third sku just called "Xbox Series" suddenly getting extremely mad

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 27, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Infinite minus Halo Infinite

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

bradzilla posted:

People really do look stupid when they refer to the two new consoles as ‘the Xbox series’ don’t they. Especially in this context.

I’ve been playing so many games that I’ve had to charge my eneloops, twice!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Crafty posted:

People really do look stupid when they refer to the two new consoles as ‘the Xbox series’ don’t they. Especially in this context.

I’ve been playing so many games that I’ve had to charge my eneloops, twice!

The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have no games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Infinite minus Halo Infinite

I hope this game ends up looking better now that its been delayed to some unknown time. I was taken aback when Microsoft had announced it was going to be a launch title right after showing the gameplay footage that they did earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

bradzilla posted:

The Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S have no games
Is it a true or false statement that they have exactly the same number of games as the Xbone currently has?