Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

luv 2 accuse my opponents of "playing politics" while i absolutely refuse to implement a rural mandate to wear a piece of cloth over your face when you go into a business because it'll hurt my polling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
COVID lockdowns negatively affect the vulnerable therefore the govt. should do nothing.

:thunk:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dude wagging his loving finger like sonic the hedgehog going all, "if any more of you DARE die on us then boy will you be sorry"

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/T8NTraynor/status/1331388235533090823

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sounds like he's telling the truth to me. he doesn't know of any cases because they've done their damnedest to avoid knowing anything about any cases

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ah, the premlt gambit

very bold

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1331401686343184385

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Eox posted:

enough to be furious at the french name for Milk 2 Go, and i do like having radical separatism on the table

as far as i'm concerned separatism is just something in which anyone can see whatever it is they want to see. leftists see it as a return to the 60s with its nationalization of key infrastructure, breaking the hold of religion on the rest of society, and general social progress. the right sees it as nationalism that pushes away the Other and lets the people that matter be in charge. various business interests are also interested to see what they could get out of this

it just means more infighting but at a smaller scale

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/caitlinxandrad/status/1331395421344657408

On an unrelated note, doctors estimate that by December 15th people with dementia or terminal cancer will no longer receive emergency treatment in Alberta hospitals.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I had low expectations for this joke that is a government, but wow I did not think I could be let down this much.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I feel like this was set up in such a way to still let people do black friday / xmas shopping because in 3 weeks when they reevaluate we're still going to be getting hospitalizations from infections that happened today, this allows the provincial government to blame people for not trying hard enough when they do lock down

like I still don't actually expect a real lockdown ever but this is probably the on-paper logic

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I had low expectations for this joke that is a government, but wow I did not think I could be let down this much.

apparently all the school boards learned about the impending transition to online learning the same time we all did. just appallingly naked contempt for everyone. this province has seen some real shitheads at the helm but kenney's government absolutely takes the cake

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

I feel like this was set up in such a way to still let people do black friday / xmas shopping because in 3 weeks when they reevaluate we're still going to be getting hospitalizations from infections that happened today, this allows the provincial government to blame people for not trying hard enough when they do lock down

like I still don't actually expect a real lockdown ever but this is probably the on-paper logic

all of the politicians are loving slime, they will never admit anything they opened it causing infections. its all "private parties" tut tut!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weird how an overworked contract tracing system is finding "private parties", a situation where the infected both knows everyone involved and has access to their contact info, to be the most common vector of spread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vermain posted:

apparently all the school boards learned about the impending transition to online learning the same time we all did. just appallingly naked contempt for everyone. this province has seen some real shitheads at the helm but kenney's government absolutely takes the cake

totally agree that's a dick move, but at the same time how do you not assume schooling's gonna end up online sometime this winter/spring

maybe it doesn't matter when resources are already stretched, just seemed like a funny complaint

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Guess who has been playing a big role in Ontario's disease response?

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1331625704501424129

I guess bread prices are slightly easier to fix.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They got a $2.6m out of Alberta in october alone, as well. Really paying off.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hand Knit posted:

So everyone who objected to Ford's handling of this is now on a Saudi hitlist or something

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

brb changing my twitter name to 🦠📈

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Vermain posted:

Never thought that a drunk who deregulated our utilities and beat up the homeless in his free time would only be the second worst premier I've experienced.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Alberta is phasing out the concept of habeas corpus and bringing in Judge Dredd style street Judges?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHF_fULvwA

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Rutibex posted:

So apparently Alberta is phasing out the concept of habeas corpus and bringing in Judge Dredd style street Judges?

I said... Hotshot

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rutibex posted:

I'm not gonna listen to some guy talk for 26 minutes. Do you have anything about this in writing?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nelson-empire-coffee-spitting-masking-1.5815220
my lovely town made the news for a lovely reason

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm not gonna listen to some guy talk for 26 minutes. Do you have anything about this in writing?

Basically they are phasing out trials and allowing police officers to sentence you from the side of the road for various offenses. If you want to challenge your sentence you have 7 days to appeal to a special "review board" of ex cops who will tell you to go gently caress yourself:

https://www.qp.alberta.ca/Documents/AnnualVolumes/2020/p30p8_2020.pdf

https://lethbridgeherald.com/commentary/letters-to-the-editor/2020/07/29/bill-21-could-threaten-albertans-right-to-fair-hearing/

quote:

By Letter to the Editor on July 29, 2020.

I >am a retired >police officer and >court agent operating out of Medicine Hat. >I recently became aware of >the proposed Alberta Administrative Penalties Act that the UCP are trying to sneak through under Bill 21. I also note that this bill has already had second reading. >

With this new legislation traffic court would be gone. >The police will be able >to charge you with an offence under any provincial act >or municipal bylaw, and you will >no longer be an accused but a >recipient. >You will no longer receive a ticket but a “notice of administrative penalty.” >If you want to contest an >allegation you will have seven days to request a review. You >will >also have to pay a prescribed fee. >The review then has to be done >within 21 days. >Also your matter will not be heard before a judge or traffic commissioner, who are legally trained and independent from the state, >it will be heard >before >an “adjudicator” who will be appointed by the government. > > > >

>Next, >once a review is set, the officer’s notes >and documents >will be >accepted by the adjudicator as if >taken under oath. That means the adjudicator will accept these as being >true. The review will not be done in person and you are not allowed to examine or cross-examine any witnesses or >the police officer. >There will now >be >a reverse onus and you will >basically be guilty unless you can prove yourself innocent.

If you disagree with any decision made, you may appeal to the Court of Queen’s Bench. Here there are more fees and you will probably need a lawyer.

What >of those with limited education, low-income earners and those who barely speak >English? What about those who may be >targeted because of their religion, race, sexual orientation or political affiliations? >

Could our right to a fair hearing be disadvantaged? With recent events, including Black Lives Matter, I think we all >know the answer to that. There is never a good time to give up our rights and give the state and police unprecedented power. >

This >is just another UCP tactic >to cut government costs and generate >revenue. >I encourage all Albertans to contact their MLAs and ask >if they support >this new proposed legislation that takes away our access to justice and if so, >to maybe consider changing their minds. >

Ken Montgomery

Medicine Hat

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
This is also only for provincial offenses (Like traffic, poaching, alcohol laws etc ), not Federal Criminal code offenses. Still is lovely as Rutibex says as it disproportional will affect the poor/working class crowd the most, who will get fee hosed or time hosed to challenge and probably lose their "court" case.

EDIT: Runkle is a pretty good firearms lawyer who takes the time to explain legal concepts and cases, which are not very easy to parse which is why his video's take at least 15 minutes.

The TL;DR of the video is basically what the letter to the editor says. Once you are written down for an offense, the way to challenge it is to prove you didn't do the offense. Rather than the Crown/Province proving that you did the offense. IF you can't prove you didn't do it, it is presumed you did. The evidence rules are also ridiculous being that it's not sworn evidence so a police officer could literally make up everything and face no penalties as he didn't swear it to be true.

Chillyrabbit has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Nov 25, 2020

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Give workers the legal right to shoot people not wearing masks on sight.

Im not even joking. That poor lady.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chillyrabbit posted:

This is also only for provincial offenses (Like traffic, poaching, alcohol laws etc ), not Federal Criminal code offenses. Still is lovely as Rutibex says as it disproportional will affect the poor/working class crowd the most, who will get fee hosed or time hosed to challenge and probably lose their "court" case.

EDIT: Runkle is a pretty good firearms lawyer who takes the time to explain legal concepts and cases, which are not very easy to parse which is why his video's take at least 15 minutes.

The TL;DR of the video is basically what the letter to the editor says. Once you are written down for an offense, the way to challenge it is to prove you didn't do the offense. Rather than the Crown/Province proving that you did the offense. IF you can't prove you didn't do it, it is presumed you did. The evidence rules are also ridiculous being that it's not sworn evidence so a police officer could literally make up everything and face no penalties as he didn't swear it to be true.

well that's not good

edit: this is gonna be used for strikebreaking almost immediately

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

blatman posted:

well that's not good

edit: this is gonna be used for strikebreaking almost immediately

Lmao that people call Kenney a libertarian

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Another Bill posted:

Lmao that people call Kenney a libertarian

its perfectly libertarian. private, paid arbitration for all offenses

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
there's no way that's charter-compliant, right?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

vyelkin posted:

I'm sure the majority of its use will be to harass Native people, in which case the charter will fully support and encourage this.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it clearly violates section 11:

quote:

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right

(a) to be informed without unreasonable delay of the specific offence;

(b) to be tried within a reasonable time;

(c) not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence;

(d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;

(e) not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause;

(f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment;

(g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;

(h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again; and

(i) if found guilty of the offence and if the punishment for the offence has been varied between the time of commission and the time of sentencing, to the benefit of the lesser punishment.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He's using the notwithstanding clause

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rutibex posted:

Yeah it clearly violates section 11:

Wonderful to read as charter violations was one of the big reasons Alberta didn't shut down...

Anger fatigue is real.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1332027370107269121

This is the weirdest loving timeline.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
NDP fundraising strategy gettin desperate

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Yeah Hasan has been hyping it for a week or two. The stream he did with AOC and Ilhan Omar was huge.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

This is going to be good. I'm sure there will be a decent amount of normalizing socialized healthcare to a lot of Hasan's American audience. Maybe dispel some myths, provide some resources yknow the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hasan kinda sucks? He only came on my radar when he bit AGNB's style at the Save the Children rally, but he just screams at videos online all day?