Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a write up somewhere on how inheriting traits works? I have a leader with Hale and a wife with Genius. We've had 7 kids and not one of them has inherited both traits, or lower versions of those traits.

Is it just not possible unless the parents both have that same trait, to pass on more than 1 to a child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there a write up somewhere on how inheriting traits works? I have a leader with Hale and a wife with Genius. We've had 7 kids and not one of them has inherited both traits, or lower versions of those traits.

Is it just not possible unless the parents both have that same trait, to pass on more than 1 to a child?

Sounds like really bad luck to me. Inheriting a trait is more likely if both parents have it, but it's totally possible with just one parent. There are things you can do to increase the likelihood of inheriting traits, like the strengthen bloodline decision or some of the choices from the blood dynasty legacy, but they aren't particularly quick/easy.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
To clarify, I'm hoping to get a child that has both Hale and Genius. Like 6 of the 7 have genius and nothing else, and 1 child got nothing. Just wondering how likely it would be to get a kid that has both.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

drat, that's pretty unlucky. Each child has a 25% chance to inherit a trait, so that's like a 13% chance none of your kids get Hale.
The wiki explains it pretty decently, I think. https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Breeding#Trait_inheritance

Midgetskydiver posted:

To clarify, I'm hoping to get a child that has both Hale and Genius. Like 6 of the 7 have genius and nothing else, and 1 child got nothing. Just wondering how likely it would be to get a kid that has both.

Are you sure your character's wife is loyal to you? Perhaps your children are not your own...

scaterry fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 25, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ah! I didn’t realize that character creator doesn’t inherit the claims that your base character had. So if I tweak William the Bastard, I do not start at war with England. Which sucks. I want my strongboi to kill the anglos

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

drat, that's pretty unlucky. Each child has a 25% chance to inherit a trait, so that's like a 13% chance none of your kids get Hale.
The wiki explains it pretty decently, I think. https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Breeding#Trait_inheritance

Are you sure your character's wife is loyal to you? Perhaps your children are not your own...

So I tested this by saving a game about a month prior to birth and just save scumming a bunch of outcomes. Sometimes (like 5% of the time) the child gains 'Hale' (which my character has) so that implies the child is mine, but like 75% of the time, they get Genius from her. I've tried maybe 20 reloads and never gotten a single child with any two traits.

E: so after about 30 tries I did get a daughter with Hale and Quick. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I wasn't getting. Guess it's just rare for two positive traits to get passed on like that? I don't know.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 25, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's making me real curious about when the game actually rolls for parentage. Not seeing your traits on that many rolls has me thinking most of the kids aren't yours.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not necessarily. Without the Blood Dynasty traits or the Strengthen Bloodline effect, inheriting a tier 1 congenital trait isn't that high of a chance. Tier 3 traits seem to roll for both the highest trait as well as the lower two, so usually seems to at least give you something.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Something's up with Duchy Claims, it seems like going to war for them isn't giving me the whole duchy anymore, even if, for example, the counties I don't get are owned by a count who doesn't have land anywhere outside the duchy. Very strange. Might need to lean more heavily on holy wars, at least they aren't causing as much fervor loss now.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 25, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"You can no longer mistake your infant child for a serial killer" is a statement that justifies the whole history of games as a medium

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

That's making me real curious about when the game actually rolls for parentage. Not seeing your traits on that many rolls has me thinking most of the kids aren't yours.

It's possible. The character's wife is +100 opinion and soulmate though.

Does the game roll for parentage when the child is born or when the mother becomes pregnant?

Also is the diplo perk that gives stat bonuses for # of friends completely not working for anyone else? I got the skill up through a special event and even though I have 10 friends, my stats didn't change at all. I know they nerfed it for 5 max with this patch but it doesn't work at all for me. Bummer.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

quote:

- Moved the Norfolk holding to a more accurate position

Between this and the new Assassin's Creed, we're getting some serious representation in games this year.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Daktar posted:

Between this and the new Assassin's Creed, we're getting some serious representation in games this year.

Do not want this attention drawn to Norwich so it stays great

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"You can no longer mistake your infant child for a serial killer" is a statement that justifies the whole history of games as a medium

but is this TRULY true

dangerous babies

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
I haven't played this game in a month or so, apologies if this is an existing bug, but I just played the game after the latest patch and I'm noticing weird visual errors with some text as well as some bugs with the notification drop down tab. Are these known bugs from the last patch?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

sdr782 posted:

I haven't played this game in a month or so, apologies if this is an existing bug, but I just played the game after the latest patch and I'm noticing weird visual errors with some text as well as some bugs with the notification drop down tab. Are these known bugs from the last patch?

Well I had the siege audio get stuck in my game last night and listened to fire and people screaming for five minutes before I was too unnerved and had to stop

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."

Trevor Hale posted:

Well I had the siege audio get stuck in my game last night and listened to fire and people screaming for five minutes before I was too unnerved and had to stop

I had this bug as well, I was playing as the duke of Bavaria and I think the music was stuck in the 'war mode' because the holy roman emperor was at war with someone and I was his vassal.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The AI needs to really chill with the tyranny. France has had 5 different rulers over the last 20 years (ever since I conquered it by pushing a wanderer's claim) deposed via faction demands in tyranny wars. Seems like every time I look over there they're losing another tyranny war.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Since the patch I appear to be getting a double -10 malus for my character being sadistic (leaving aside the compassionate vs sadistic one). One of them on the tooltip says "(Sin)" after and the other doesn't. I had this once before the patch without the (Sin) part; that time the other character was sadistic too. Both times seem a bit of a muddle unless I'm missing something.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Since the patch I appear to be getting a double -10 malus for my character being sadistic (leaving aside the compassionate vs sadistic one). One of them on the tooltip says "(Sin)" after and the other doesn't. I had this once before the patch without the (Sin) part; that time the other character was sadistic too. Both times seem a bit of a muddle unless I'm missing something.

Sadistic is a general -10 malus and a sin in certain religions, which is another -10

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Ohhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You can start Hellenist now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm gonna also need to "wait what" about this.

That's some form of balancing at least, I do remember being able to get free MAA which was quite the treat.

That's gonna make realm conversion a lot slower. And heresy outbreaks more annoying.

eugh, i'm already worried i'll hit the time limit on my current daura game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What was the indian start that people recommended because it had like an overpowered number of baronies in a county or development, something like that

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What was the indian start that people recommended because it had like an overpowered number of baronies in a county or development, something like that

Madurai in southern India, in the duchy of Pandya

25 development in 867

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Magil Zeal posted:

Something's up with Duchy Claims, it seems like going to war for them isn't giving me the whole duchy anymore, even if, for example, the counties I don't get are owned by a count who doesn't have land anywhere outside the duchy. Very strange. Might need to lean more heavily on holy wars, at least they aren't causing as much fervor loss now.

Are you sure the character you are fighting owns the entire duchy? It seems you can have the option to go to war for a duchy with another character who doesn't own all of it. Though yesterday, I went to war for an entire kingdom and only got part of it, so :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's long been a thing where if you successfully press a claim on a Duchy within a Kingdom (or Kingdom within an Empire presumably) it will give you the duchy title, but not necessarily all of the counties within it.

I think you get all the counties owned by the previous holder, and any vassals who hold land only within the duchy transfer to you, but vassals within the kingdom who hold random counties (and/or immediate vassals of the king, rather than the Duke?) retain their counties.

Conversely Holy War just straight up gives you every county within the de jure title you've seized (with the caveat that coreligionists become vassals), regardless of ownership structure.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 26, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah it's long been a thing where if you successfully press a claim on a Duchy within a Kingdom (or Kingdom within an Empire presumably) it will give you the duchy title, but not necessarily all of the counties within it.

I think you get all the counties owned by the previous holder, and any vassals who hold land only within the duchy transfer to you, but vassals within the kingdom who hold random counties (and/or immediate vassals of the king, rather than the Duke?) retain their counties.

That was what was confusing me, I didn't get 2 counties in the duchy that were owned by a count that owned them and nothing else. I would've expected to get those. Maybe he wasn't a vassal of the duke? That's all I can think of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the immediacy might be the issue, but honestly I am not sure, and have never seen definitive rules for it anywhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just started playing this game game and it's a total blast! Just managed to get my son to control all Ireland. For some reason when my first ruler died in the tutorial it said it was the end of my dynasty, even though my son and heir was controlling the duchy next door. Weird but thankfully I could just keep playing which is pretty cool.

Not entirely sure what to do with my several unruly vassals yet though... They can't all be on the council!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vassals belong in prison. It's a match made in heaven like peanut butter and chocolate

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Patch is out

fuckin yikes :nms:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Patch is out

fuckin yikes :nms:

Punished Emund letting his demon out

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How do I generate more women of my religion and culture if I'm starting as somebody extinct like Hellenic? I can get a few men from summoning champions but I don't see a similar way to spawn women. Am I entirely reliant on converting foreigners?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
If you land people in counties of that faith/culture, it will generate courtiers of that faith/culture. There are some scripted exceptions, but in general this is the only way courtiers of a specific faith/culture are generated.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

How do I generate more women of my religion and culture if I'm starting as somebody extinct like Hellenic? I can get a few men from summoning champions but I don't see a similar way to spawn women. Am I entirely reliant on converting foreigners?

Doctor decision will generate random characters with a high chance of being your religion/culture as well. If you marry your champions to random people you'll have a large group by the next generation. I usually find whatever women have good inheritable traits regardless of age to marry them to, so I get more traits in my court.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Is that the play? I’ve never bothered getting my unlanded knights married so I’ve always been co fused as to what to do with the skillful ladies just hanging out in my court

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can't say I've ever bothered to marrying my knights off, but that is an intriguing breeding strat.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t see it advertised anywhere, but they added the ruleset option to turn every male-dominated institution into a female-dominated one, universally, worldwide. It doesn’t disable achievements, either!

It looks like how it works is, when starting a new game, it tries to find the closest female relative to the default male ruler and makes that woman the new ruler. So, for example, in 867, it’s not Ivar the Boneless’s Jarldom of the Isles, it’s his daughter’s. In practice, though, since so many counts start without daughters or sisters, there’s still a whole bunch of male rulers hanging around. Plus, the new female rulers all seem to be in non-matrilineal marriages, so dynasties are gonna be pretty messed up in about one generation.

Still, pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ah gently caress! They nerfed the “have a lot of friends, get a lot of skill points” perk. It’s capped at 5 friends now