Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Bland posted:

If they were planning on incorporating this game into their extended misery universe or whatever I hope they've reconsidered after seeing how much wider their audience is with this game.

Uh, MiHoYo has outright said it's the game they wanted to do in the first place instead of HI3.

Also, misery universe seems a bit extreme. Like, what reason would there be to play the game if there wasn't an antagonist? Like, how many games are out there that have no plot, no point to the characters actions in them, and no narrative tension? They had might as well call it Walking Impact if they had gone that route.

awesmoe posted:

having to read a manga and play a bunch of other (untranslated?) games to understand the plot of this one would certainly validate my decision to spam-click through everything story-related.
It's interesting, though, because some of the dialog is legitimately clever and touching, and so moving the focus from that to the matrix would be...dumb. Lost was the worst thing to happen to media in 20 years, now everything's a puzzle to be solved.

It seems that it's going to be more like Xenogears, as others have said. Personally, I thought Xenogears was neat, even if it had some serious faults. Your mileage may vary though. :shrug:

YES bread posted:

magic energy that makes you go crazy for a reason that has yet to be explained over multiple games and several different mediums isn't any more compelling, to me

if they keep up the fun character interactions and give us a plot just sturdy enough to hang cool fight scenes on I will be content

Don't think you have to worry about that then. Since the "magic energy" was already explained a long time ago in HI3 and the real overarching mystery is something entirely different. Genshin is also clearly working on coming up with their own explanation.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just want more anime idiots interacting with anime weirdos.

the current event was very good for that

fabiopenz
Jun 22, 2015
If there's one thing that would get me to drop this game it would be a "if you want to get the plot you need to play this other game and read a manga as well" kind of thing.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

Uh, MiHoYo has outright said it's the game they wanted to do in the first place instead of HI3.

Also, misery universe seems a bit extreme. Like, what reason would there be to play the game if there wasn't an antagonist? Like, how many games are out there that have no plot, no point to the characters actions in them, and no narrative tension? They had might as well call it Walking Impact if they had gone that route.

the russians in general and the harbingers in particular are the antagonists. also the abyss people.
also if you want to talk about "no point to the characters actions, no narrative tension" i've got bad news for you about how "it was all a dream/simulation" is received by general audiences

e: having said that, i fundamentally dont care. as long as the world is pretty and interesting, and my numbers keep going up, ill probably keep playing (and shoveling money into the gatcha furnace)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

awesmoe posted:

the russians in general and the harbingers in particular are the antagonists. also the abyss people.
also if you want to talk about "no point to the characters actions, no narrative tension" i've got bad news for you about how "it was all a dream/simulation" is received by general audiences

No one said it was all a dream or simulation though? :stare: It's made pretty evident that everything going on in Teyvat is relevant to the story and characters.

Like, there's a few people claiming that on Reddit. But they're reaching for straws. The thought is that it's a distant sequel/alt-quel to HI3 or some similar game.

Incidentally, this means you don't need to play the other games or know the backstory. But it does let you know of some neat little things that might slip around other people until later on in Genshin's story. Hence the effort posts to try and explain and theory craft on what is going on in the plot.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 26, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

* One kind of awkward element to the story-telling in this game is that the protagonist obviously knows a whole bunch of poo poo that they're just choosing to stay silent about.

Archonex posted:

The tree in Li Yue may just be the alternate universe equivalent of the Honkai infected monster/Archon in China in HI3 and has no greater relation to the plot. We'll have to see when Dragon Spine comes out if there's any similar sites, or if it's just an indication of the ocean goddess that shows up in the Li Yue finale and is nothing special. I forget where she emerges from. If someone remembers it could be useful in determining if it's relevant to something else.

Isn't a quest where you're sent to the girl in front of the tree unlocked after you finish the Liyue finale (which strongly implies that it's foreshadowing future events that will occur after said finale)?

Ashenai posted:

According to the wiki, the Chinese word for Archon is 魔神, which is more-or-less "Demon God"

Oh, that's quite interesting!

awesmoe posted:

having to read a manga and play a bunch of other (untranslated?) games to understand the plot of this one would certainly validate my decision to spam-click through everything story-related.
It's interesting, though, because some of the dialog is legitimately clever and touching, and so moving the focus from that to the matrix would be...dumb. Lost was the worst thing to happen to media in 20 years, now everything's a puzzle to be solved.

There's obviously going to be some sort of reveal, just because there's a big mystery existing from the beginning of the game regarding stuff like "what are Archons/Visions" and "what are all these ruins and ruin guards and stuff from" (or who the protagonist even is for that matter).

I think the main thing that determines whether the reveal/twist is good is whether it "invalidates" preexisting elements of the plot/setting and whether it's actually adequately foreshadowed. I'm a sucker for these sorts of big twists, as long as they don't come out of nowhere and don't make past events seem meaningless (like some form of "this was all a simulation" twist).

As for being tied into another game's content, it depends entirely upon whether the game itself does a good enough job of explaining things without having played the other game(s) (or read any other side content).

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Archonex posted:

Also, misery universe seems a bit extreme. Like, what reason would there be to play the game if there wasn't an antagonist? Like, how many games are out there that have no plot, no point to the characters actions in them, and no narrative tension?

Um you're going to have to explain this leap of logic to me dude because at no point did I say the game shouldn't have any of those things. This game has been managing on the "antagonists, plot, and character actions" front so far without relying on their other games. I just have 0 interest in anything you've described about the Honkai universe, like the magical madness virus or the inevitable extinction of mankind, or any of that. It doesn't sound like a compelling story to me. As opposed to Genshin, which I've largely enjoyed thus far.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bland posted:

Um you're going to have to explain this leap of logic to me dude because at no point did I say the game shouldn't have any of those things. This game has been managing on the "antagonists, plot, and character actions" front so far without relying on their other games. I just have 0 interest in anything you've described about the Honkai universe, like the magical madness virus or the inevitable extinction of mankind, or any of that. It doesn't sound like a compelling story to me. As opposed to Genshin, which I've largely enjoyed thus far.

Misery universe implied that something is making the setting become a miserable clusterfuck. IE: An antagonist that creates narrative tension to stop it.

My point is that it seems kind of weird to call the games an extended misery universe or whatever when this is literally the standard for video games since video games first became a thing. rear end in a top hat makes things lovely for people ---> Hero shows up ---> Hero figures out the plot/who is causing problems ---> Villain proceeds to get the poo poo kicked out of him is basically a narrative ur-trope all by itself.

Like, even beyond that they're clearly explaining all this stuff in Genshin's story without needing to know about Honkai Impact or any of the other stuff outside of Genshin itself. How does that impact your enjoyment of the game, given that? It's a weird thing to complain about. Heck, the specifics of HI3's alternate universe plot device means that none of this is needed to know to enjoy Genshin's plot as a thing independent of or even considering the other games. So it's not a big deal, and is more just something for lore nerds to splurge over and try to predict where the plot is going.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any story explained via a synopsis in forum posts is going to sound awful.

On thanksgiving no less, which means i'm not giving the synopsis my undivided attention and am more focused on family. Also, I can't reference the old posts as easily as I used too due to them being in the old thread.

People used to be interested in talking about this stuff, but it seems like there's some folks that take offense to it. So should I just stop?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 26, 2020

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bland posted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

really the problem is just this

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Archon just "god" in Japanese (not sure what it is in the original Chinese)? Similarly Visions are "god's eyes" IIRC. I forget what word was used for "gnosis."

In the JP dub they call Visions "神の目 (kami no me)" or Eye of God/God's Eye, while Gnosis is "神の心 (kami no kokoro)". You can translate 心/kokoro a few different ways, but it usually refers to the mind or spirit of something. Heart is a common translation, but not in the literal sense as in the organ, more in a mystic sense as in "soul".

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
AR40+ turns the game into a resin-dependent grind and these events help flesh the game out more at this level.

I'm still enjoying the daily grind though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm fully willing to be wrong but alot of the stuff that is being said to be definitive proof of a connection between the games has been really tenuous at best to me. I don't really buy it yet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay look is HI3 worth trying out at this point or nah

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Archonex posted:

Misery universe implied that something is making the setting become a miserable clusterfuck. IE: An antagonist that creates narrative tension to stop it.

My point is that it seems kind of weird to call the games an extended misery universe or whatever when this is literally the standard for games since video games existed. rear end in a top hat makes things lovely for people ---> Hero shows up ---> Hero figures out the plot/who is causing problems ---> Villain proceeds to get the poo poo kicked out of him is basically a narrative ur-trope all by itself.

I used that term because my understanding from reading your posts is that the world in the Honkai universe is a miserable place where cruel gods go around killing millions of people out of sheer misanthropic insanity and mankind is implied to be in an arms race against extinction that it has no chance of winning. I just don't want us to end up 'peeking through the veil' in Genshin and finding out that the game's entire universe is just an extension of this nihilistic misery (and you know if they have a big reveal like that its going to be to kick off The Bad Times). In my eyes there are far more interesting directions that Genshin could go, so that's one direction I'm hoping they'll avoid.

e; And I'm not "offended" by your posts my dude, I'm sharing my opinion just like you are. There's no animosity here and I apologise if I'm coming across that way. Post about whatever you like.

Bland fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 26, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Bland posted:

Honkai's story is loving awesome though. Yeah there's a world-devouring force and so on, but that's not what makes it great, what makes it great is the characters and their struggles and their relationships with each other.

I trust mihoyo's storytelling chops, they've proven themselves to be extremely competent.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

zgrowler2 posted:

I've got Bennett c0 and Barb c2 for healers and Fischl c0 and Childe c0 for archers. Do I need to level Diona c2 for anything? I got her to 20 just because and left her there until I absolutely positively need a cryo archer for, idk, future abyss content? I haven't started abyss proper yet (only cleared 4-3), am running Klee / Childe / Fischl / Bennett in overworld, and have Chong and Kaeya for cryo support as needed.

Diona is very good filler when you need two teams but you've already got two good cryos. I'd probably worry about who is going to be your non-Klee carry more than the rest of the group, since you've got a decent cast already.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
All this ark stuff is making me want to reread all those Gene Wolfe sci-fi books that had similar tropes so I'm going to write up a quick recommendation for anyone else who's into this groove too:

Gene Wolfe wrote three series of novels about fantasy/medieval societies being built on the bones of highly technological civilizations that fell into ruin a long time ago, with the middle series being set on a Generation Colony ship much like what we're talking about with Genshin Impact. His writing is not for everyone since it's quite dense and Wolfe is considered to be the modern master of unreliable narration. Frequently the characters will interact with things/technology/AI that they don't understand but the reader can recognize...but Wolfe never ever highlights or points this out; you simply have to read between the lines. The best starting point is his novel "Shadow of the Torturer", which has won too many awards to list. Also since they're old you can probably find them used for cheap in big collected volumes.

Also Gene helped invent Pringles and you really like those.

\/\/\/\/\/
Edit: Ah, I missed your similar post, Osmosisch, but we can be good-book-buddies hm?

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 26, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

S.J. posted:

Okay look is HI3 worth trying out at this point or nah

It depends on what you want out of it I. Don't get it expecting an open world/non menu based experience like in Genshin. The game is far more "mobile game" in design.

MiHoYo originally wanted to make Honkai Impact 3 open world with a plot spanning nations and the like. Basically, they wanted it to be Genshin Impact. However due to the fact that they weren't as well funded and it was a mobile game constrained to the requisites of the hardware and consumer expectations at the time they couldn't do that. It visibly shows at many points in the game. Some of those points don't go away due to it being baked into the base design as well.

Nowadays there are open world zones. Three of them. That's it. And the combat technically has a bit more depth to it in that you have change in (Imagine if changing your character in Genshin caused special attacks.) character attacks, actual combos that require input, etc, etc. But the flow of the combat itself is visibly more clunky, less fluid, and just feels more primitive than Genshin's is. In addition to that stuff like Tartaglia and Thrilling Tales suggests that they're going to get there with the combo's and character effects. In the case of Thrilling Tales there's room for them to even add in items that trigger special attacks on switching.

Plot wise? You can skip it. There's enough people in the Genshin thread that are familiar with HI3 that they can explain (Or barring an explanation being available yet theorize.) anything that isn't immediately obvious. Also, the early portion of HI3's plot is tied to a lot of mobile phone tropes that made games like that successful at the time. Expect a gently caress ton of waifu's and sexualized outfits that they eventually moved away from as best they could once they had the success and funding not to be shackled to those things.

In addition to that, as mentioned Genshin's plot appears to be extremely self contained in that they're making their own in setting explanations for things. Like Delusions, Archons, etc, etc.

TL;DR: All in all i'd say play it if you really want to get a deep dive into the lore and where Genshin might end up plot wise potentially a year or more from now. But otherwise it's perfectly fine to pretend it doesn't exist since the whole "this is possibly an alternate universe" thing means that even the stuff people are theorizing about (outside of the stuff that was already confirmed, like Delusions being made of Archon residue) could be proven wrong at any given point in the story.

In addition to that it's pretty obvious that Genshin Impact is being written and designed with the intent to largely keep it separate from the other Impact games barring a few conceits that ultimately shouldn't impact anything either way. Stuff like the corruptive nature of Delusions and Archon's gnosis secretly being made of bad things have already been revealed within the narrative of Genshin itself without the need to play Honkai Impact 3.

All in all Genshin's writing is better and all around far less difficult to penetrate, it's gameplay is far more refined, it's world is more expansive and engaging, and it's pretty much superior to Honkai Impact in every way possible. So odds are that you'll miss absolutely nothing by skipping HI3 since Genshin Impact's going to do it far better and with less awkwardness or cruft.

If none of this answers your question then I will point out that MiHoYo has stated that they want Genshin Impact to be the game HI3 should have been but couldn't due to financial concerns, limitations of the platform, and consumer expectations, etc, etc. So you're probably not getting anything out of Honkai Impact 3 that you wouldn't get more out of in Genshin Impact.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 27, 2020

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Osmosisch posted:

I urge everyone to read the Book of the Long Sun by Gene Wolfe for a very well written take on where it seems Genshin might be going

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Having played an okay amount of Honkai Impact 3rd, I felt the lore was simultaneously impenetrable and incredibly uninteresting. The character drama carried the storyline on an emotional level - but the history of the world, the conflicts between the factions, time paradoxes, alternate realities, etc - all struck me as "my first fanfic" drivel.

I'm legitimately hoping that there's zero connection between the two franchises other than some Easter eggs here and there, as quite honestly, Genshin seems to have enough mystery and depth in its lore without importing all that baggage from Honkai.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ruby Prism posted:

Having played an okay amount of Honkai Impact 3rd, I felt the lore was simultaneously impenetrable and incredibly uninteresting. The character drama carried the storyline on an emotional level - but the history of the world, the conflicts between the factions, time paradoxes, alternate realities, etc - all struck me as "my first fanfic" drivel.

Blazblue, got it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Plot speculation and event chapter spoilers

I mean if the word “archon” is similar to “gnosis” and you know gnosis mythology it kind of gives the game away

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Plot speculation and event chapter spoilers

I mean if the word “archon” is similar to “gnosis” and you know gnosis mythology it kind of gives the game away

What's interesting to me about this is that the original language is as far as I can tell from things like god-eyes and such not using these gnostic terms and concepts directly, so either the translators are taking analogous concepts from european religion or there's kind of an Evangelion mishmash situation going on.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

What's interesting to me about this is that the original language is as far as I can tell from things like god-eyes and such not using these gnostic terms and concepts directly, so either the translators are taking analogous concepts from european religion or there's kind of an Evangelion mishmash situation going on.

There's some mishmash of various religions. Teyvat as mentioned is derivative of a Hebrew word for Ark. The hypostasis bosses also have semi-hidden names that relate to something from Hebrew. I forget what they were, but a quick google search should bring it up. Maybe it was demons or angels?

Genshin itself is supposed to be a word derived from what MiHoYo said was a Buddhist concept. Apparently it relates to a Buddhist philosopher? No clue there, since i'm not that read up on that religion. A quick google search reveals that he had theories on the nature of Hell in Buddhist religion. So given the demonic naming scheme maybe there's something there? :shrug:

quote:

Genshin's influence in contemporary Japanese culture today is primarily due to his treatise, particularly its graphic descriptions of the Buddhist hell realms (jigoku), which inspired a genre of horror and morality stories. The 1960 Japanese film Jigoku was influenced by Genshin's among other works. In Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, he is considered the Sixth Patriarch.

Genshin is credited as the founder of the Enshin school of Tendai Buddhism, and for espousing the "original enlightenment" teaching, or hongaku (本覚), where one is originally enlightened, but unaware of it. In all, Genshin left more than 30 works which continue to influence Pure Land thought today.[6]

The image of Amida Nyorai in the main building of Yasaka-ji Temple in Shikoku is said to have been made by Genshin in the Heian Period.[7]

It does appear to be that they're trying to make a best fit in some areas. I recall reading somewhere that Genshin was in fact not the name they wanted in english, and it was something else that didn't translate cleanly. Though I can't recall what offhand.

However like you said, if it isn't entirely accurate then at the very least they're using analogous concepts. So it does seem to fit in terms of theme and what they're getting at. See the whole Archon thing and how it translates to Demon King or something like that that an earlier poster mentioned.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 27, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Osmosisch posted:

That's just a staple of anime game translation. Cultural references get replaced all the time, usually because there's no real depth to them in the source material, it's just there to sound cool. Don't take the references to e.g. gnosticism too seriously, quite a bit of it is likely not there in the original Chinese. In e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 there's a lot of references to Christian mythology concepts and Milton's Paradise Lost and whatnot that get replaced by a grab bag of random Greek mythology and other stuff in the English translation. This isn't a problem, because the references don't actually mean anything, it's just the usual anime nonsense. (e: there's a world of difference between this sort of thing and Mamoru Oshii movies literally quoting scripture, of course - not all anime is created equal.)

Trivia: the Knights of Favonius are the "Knights of Sephiroth" (Sefirot) in the Japanese translation. Wanna go study Kabbalah?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 27, 2020

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My biggest issue with the story is that it might take years for the main plot thread to resolve, assuming it ever does.

It's an interesting story so far, and I'm ok with some of it coming from external non-game media. Shallow tropey characters unfortunately but it's anime, what can you expect?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I figure miHoYo is probably going to make sure that GI can be a standalone experience, and the events of GGZ and HI3 will be extended-universe stuff that won't be necessary for the reveals of the game to hit right. The alternative would make the story flop hard.

More HI3-based theorizing: I heard someone note an interesting bit of information in one of the speculation threads on Reddit, which is that the in-game mails we get from Paimon show the letters of her name in all caps and with dots between them (unlike other characters). More evidence that Paimon is an E.L.F.? Maybe of a weapon that belonged to Kiana or her Teyvat-analogue (who is probably the Tsaritsa, since the pseudo-Russia connection and ice-blue color scheme are connections too juicy to be coincidental)? Or she could be some other entity entirely, a P.A.I.M.O.N., whatever that is.

Ruby Prism posted:

I feel like all works involving alternate timelines get this way if they run on long enough—the conflicts become big impenetrable messes that only hit right for people who've been around since day one and experienced everything gradually enough to get themselves emotionally situated in the conflict in time for subsequent plot beats/reveals.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
*looks at Granblue and Fate Grand order*

Yeah, Genshin is gonna take a while for their story

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Archonex posted:

The hypostasis bosses also have semi-hidden names that relate to something from Hebrew. I forget what they were, but a quick google search should bring it up. Maybe it was demons or angels?

It's nothing as grand as that, they're literally just the first three letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

TheFluff posted:

That's just a staple of anime game translation. Cultural references get replaced all the time, usually because there's no real depth to them in the source material, it's just there to sound cool. Don't take the references to e.g. gnosticism too seriously, quite a bit of it is likely not there in the original Chinese. In e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 there's a lot of references to Christian mythology concepts and Milton's Paradise Lost and whatnot that get replaced by a grab bag of random Greek mythology and other stuff in the English translation. This isn't a problem, because the references don't actually mean anything, it's just the usual anime nonsense. (e: there's a world of difference between this sort of thing and Mamoru Oshii movies literally quoting scripture, of course - not all anime is created equal.)

Trivia: the Knights of Favonius are the "Knights of Sephiroth" (Sefirot) in the Japanese translation. Wanna go study Kabbalah?

Wait, why change it to Favonius then? Sefirot fits and has similar religious connotations as the rest of it.

Bland posted:

It's nothing as grand as that, they're literally just the first three letters of the Hebrew alphabet.

Yeah, I just googled it and that's what it is. Still weird, and I don't think anyone's figured out what it actually means yet outside some unverified theories like hypostasis being the building blocks of the world.

Bloody Emissary posted:

I figure miHoYo is probably going to make sure that GI can be a standalone experience, and the events of GGZ and HI3 will be extended-universe stuff that won't be necessary for the reveals of the game to hit right. The alternative would make the story flop hard.

More HI3-based theorizing: I heard someone note an interesting bit of information in one of the speculation threads on Reddit, which is that the in-game mails we get from Paimon show the letters of her name in all caps and with dots between them (unlike other characters). More evidence that Paimon is an E.L.F.? Maybe of a weapon that belonged to Kiana or her Teyvat-analogue (who is probably the Tsaritsa, since the pseudo-Russia connection and ice-blue color scheme are connections too juicy to be coincidental)? Or she could be some other entity entirely, a P.A.I.M.O.N., whatever that is.

quote:

I feel like all works involving alternate timelines get this way if they run on long enough—the conflicts become big impenetrable messes that only hit right for people who've been around since day one and experienced everything gradually enough to get themselves emotionally situated in the conflict in time for subsequent plot beats/reveals.

Given there's a book in Genshin Impact that literally reveals the fundamentals of the plot of HI3 to date (While summarizing visions in Genshin Impact itself from the perspective of a character in another setting entirely. Said setting is extremely different from both Genshin and Honkai's. It's borderline space opera that veers into...other places later on. It's a trippy book series.) it seems less like an alternate universe clusterfuck of plot lines and more like the writers are knowingly dipping their toes into one of the more potentially mind fucky narrative tricks --- embedded stories and narrative recursion. Especially when you consider that Otto in HI3 managed to peak on Dvalin in Genshin as their story was going on.

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Vera%27s_Melancholy

quote:

"There are times when I think to myself... There's nothing to do in this tiny village. What a dull place to live."
This wasn't the first time that Vera had complained about her hometown, the small country village of Delphi. Her frown eased slightly as she lay on the hillside near the village, eyes closed, feeling the breeze of the early summer.

"Then where in this world would you not consider dull?" Her buddy Sachi asked curiously.

Vera sat up and leaned forward.

"I believe on the other side of the Starry Sea is a planet inhabited by gods who can answer all prayers and wishes, and everyone bearing a wish is on a journey to get there. I believe, in our universe, there is a world currently in a war against doomsday, where the noble and elegant souls of fourteen Valkyries burn bright, if only for a brief but magnificent moment..."

Where they're going with this is anyone's guess. But if I had to make a wild, unfounded guess i'd say that at some point the PC's of one of the games still in development are going to clue into the aforementioned clusterfuck and that it keeps happening in a different way across multiple timelines. And they're going to make like that guy who ascended to a higher plane of existence, that woman who is jumping dimensions to figure out how to beat the Honkai for good, and possibly even the Travelers and maybe even Alice too assuming she's actually from another world.

That is they're just going to take the logical end point of seeing the aforementioned clusterfuck and just go full Occam's Razor by trying to obsolete the dilemma entirely by taking a third route. Which if you think about it is the same thing that guy who ascended via occult knowledge, that woman who started hopping timelines, and the assumed end goal of the Ark itself all did.

As a side note, I'd recommend reading that book series in Genshin. It's kind of weird but clearly is referencing both events in Honkai Impact 3 and Genshin itself. While the character in question is clearly not from either of those universes. There's also a character that may be an oblique reference to the Princess der Vertei-whatever there. Which lends more credence to the theory that Fischl is just a really chuuni poser and there really is a real Princess der Whatever out there somewhere.

Also, in relation to Paimon: She's literally sporting Kiana's look, has replaced Kiana as the mascot (A company standard for every game.), and is literally rocking multiple visual cues that suggest she has at least something to do with her. She's probably an E.L.F. Or whatever this AU version is. The inclusion of the whole Sea of Quanta/Tree of Life/AU thing means they can get away with having stuff in other settings show up in a different form with a different name, after all.

Also, I thought that Russia was where Sirin/whatever her name was turned into a Herrsher? She's the girl who goes nuts due to the inhuman abuse she underwent from all of the human experimentation (Which is clearly occurring in Not-Russia's nation.) with Honkai radiation she was exposed too by scientists working for the state. And after she's killed she works towards turning Kiana into the Herrsher of Void. Or was I misremembering that?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 27, 2020

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
drat this thread moves fast, thanks for the answers earlier. How do battle passes progress generally? I've skipped some dailies, and some of the weeklies seem like a chore right now. Just hit BP 24, should I start collecting Monstadt specialties or is it out of reach?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

valuum posted:

drat this thread moves fast, thanks for the answers earlier. How do battle passes progress generally? I've skipped some dailies, and some of the weeklies seem like a chore right now. Just hit BP 24, should I start collecting Monstadt specialties or is it out of reach?

The weekly missions to collect local specialities are really easy, go look up routes for things that spawn in multiples like Valberries and Jueyun chilis and you'll get there in a jiffy.

Archonex posted:

Wait, why change it to Favonius then? Sefirot fits and has similar religious connotations as the rest of it.

Sephiroth is so tightly coupled to Final Fantasy VII now that nobody even remembers it's a kabbalistic thing. But again, it doesn't actually matter, because the reference is only skin deep - it's there to sound cool, there's no deeper meaning to it. It's there to make the story seem to have more layers and background to it than it actually does. As an analogy, if Tolkien's Lord of the Rings has the feeling of taking place inside of an actual ruin that's thousands of years old, most anime has the feeling of taking place in a historical theme park (e: seriously watch that lecture it's good).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 27, 2020

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

TheFluff posted:

The weekly missions to collect local specialities are really easy, go look up routes for things that spawn in multiples like Valberries and Jueyun chilis and you'll get there in a jiffy.

I just became aware though, so it's A) is it possible and B) would I need to go all inn to max the BP now

Archonex
May 2, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Sephiroth is so tightly coupled to Final Fantasy VII now that nobody even remembers it's a kabbalistic thing. But again, it doesn't actually matter, because the reference is only skin deep - it's there to sound cool, there's no deeper meaning to it. It's there to make the story seem to have more layers and background to it than it actually does. As an analogy, if Tolkien's Lord of the Rings has the feeling of taking place inside of an actual ruin that's thousands of years old, most anime has the feeling of taking place in a historical theme park (e: seriously watch that lecture it's good).

This is a sad, but hilarious possibility.

That being said it doesn't seem like all the religious stuff is just analogous fluff. Some of it actually does seem quite relevant. Especially some of the directly gnostic and also pseudo-gnostic stuff. There's way too many times where they start referencing concepts and themes from it to just be without meaning. Though where it's all leading is kind of anyone's best guess at this point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

valuum posted:

I just became aware though, so it's A) is it possible and B) would I need to go all inn to max the BP now
I finish both weekly specialty things on day 1 every week. For Mondstadt it's all wolfhook in Wolvendom, Lamp Grass in Whispering Woods, Windwheel Astor near the big tree and Stormterror's Lair, Valberries north of whispering woods, Philanemo Mushrooms in Spingvale, and Dandelion Seeds near Mondstadt. In Liyue it's Glaze Lilies + Silk Flowers in Liyue, Silk Flowers at Wangshu Inn, Jueyun Chilies in Qingce Village/Minyin/a few other places, those Xiao flowers at the peaks near mount Aozang, Cor Lapis/Noctilucuous Jade near mining spots.

At BP 24 you will have no trouble finishing it if you do all dailies+weeklies for the next 24 days.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

valuum posted:

Most of the weekly stuff is super doable, except the stuff that requires resin. You can even fight all the bosses and world bosses without costing any resin. Battle pass is basically there to give you a weekly goal in the absence of story content. If that’s your jam, do it. Otherwise skip it.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Oo nice. With the resin thingy going now I wasnt sure how to approach it and I got the first battle pass a bit early/late(?), so wasnt sure how to approach it.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

valuum posted:

We're fourteen days in on the BP, with 24 days left. You'll probably be fine, but do try to get as many weeklies done as you can.

Lechtansi posted:

Most of the weekly stuff is super doable, except the stuff that requires resin. You can even fight all the bosses and world bosses without costing any resin. Battle pass is basically there to give you a weekly goal in the absence of story content. If that's your jam, do it. Otherwise skip it.

The only things on the battle pass that really require resin are the "use X amount of resin" quests. Just like the boss fights, completing domains and leylines without grabbing their rewards still counts towards their respective BP requirements.

Leylines can be a bit inconvenient, since new ones don't show up until the next day unless you collect their rewards. If you don't want to spend any resin on them you have to do 4/day five days per week to finish the weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's remarkably forgiving when you start calculating it out, especially since they seem to run at least one event during BP so you can get big extra chunks of BEXP.