Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Jestery posted:

Madonna is another one here, you sort of draw your hands out to a point from your breast to show the pointed bra

Maybe because I'm a fashion nerd but my brain goes to Jean Paul Gautier first.

Content: The joke of Happy New Rear instead of Year works in Spanish too if you forget:

Ano - Anus
Año - Year

:haw::butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Umpire Tom Hallion singlehandedly brought "in the jackpot" back (at least into baseball/Mets fan vernacular), which, as far as I can tell, basically means "in trouble".

I would have guessed this was due to William Gibson, personally.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I was delighted to learn that names for friends in sign language work like nicknames -- you can sign someone's name using letters if it's important but most of the time when you're talking about someone you know you'll either use a sign for a word that sounds like their name, or a sign that references something about their personality or appearance: https://youtu.be/9hHt3wzxXjc

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Whybird posted:

I was delighted to learn that names for friends in sign language work like nicknames -- you can sign someone's name using letters if it's important but most of the time when you're talking about someone you know you'll either use a sign for a word that sounds like their name, or a sign that references something about their personality or appearance: https://youtu.be/9hHt3wzxXjc

Yeah the Register of formality don't really exist as strongly as they do in english/hearing culture so you get interesting context violation

I've met one of Australia's Deaf representatives to the UN and he's a funny bloke with a sign name that is a bit of an open secret among litteraly everyone that it is a reference to a fight he got in when he was in his early teens and he got a broken nose

They are also considered a sign of acceptance into the Deaf world , like you get your Deaf name after you interact with the Deaf enough

I've often thought of this as if you are talking like incredibly eloquent cave man

Conversation can go like this

"I MEET-FINISH HAIRY-ARMS M-A-R-K WEEKEND AGO"

"I KNOW HAIRY-ARMS, THAT SIGN NAME GOOD, THE ARMS HAVE HAIR , TRUE"

My sign name is represents a dumb hat I used to wear all the time when I was learning sign

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Today's word is costochondritis!

Not a word you're gonna drop into conversation any time soon, but I'll tell you why it made me think of this thread.

I got diagnosed with it today, and I really liked that the doctor right away broke down the word for me. (I probably had a "oh god what the hell is THAT" look on my face.) He nicely said "costa" means rib, and "chondritis" means inflammation of the cartilage.

Having the big scary word busted down into its parts and plain English made it less big and scary, and more doctors should do this, imo.

Then he prescribed some fun painkillers, which I'm getting p hosed up on right now. THE END

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Whoa! But I'm glad you're doing ok, being sick loving sucks.

Also I just realized from your post that hypochondriac means underneath the cartilage*, as in it's a disease without external symptoms. That makes a lot of sense for a word that's older than medical science, basically "you look fine, stop whining"

* btw its really stupid that Greek has hypo for under & hyper for above, and Latin has supra & super. those words are way too important to be that similar

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

Whoa! But I'm glad you're doing ok, being sick loving sucks.

Also I just realized from your post that hypochondriac means underneath the cartilage*, as in it's a disease without external symptoms. That makes a lot of sense for a word that's older than medical science, basically "you look fine, stop whining"

* btw its really stupid that Greek has hypo for under & hyper for above, and Latin has supra & super. those words are way too important to be that similar

Thanks for the kind thoughts! It's nothing life-threatening, it just really sucks because if you have arthritis, you can avoid or favor the joint that hurts. Your ribs... not so much, kinda gotta move those just to breathe. Sneezing's like someone's just shivved me.

Speaking of joints, the doc also explained costochondritis as "arthritis, but your ribs". While waiting in the exam room I wondered what "arth" meant, and it's "joint". So arthropods are our jointy-footed friends!

And yeah, I agree about those prefixes. "Intra vs inter" is another one that always got me, until computer networks became part of my library job many years back, and I had to distinguish between intranet and internet daily.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I introduced a goon to the phrase “could poo poo through a screen door” in another thread and figured y’all might appreciate it.

It’s a situation that’s exactly what it sounds like- pure liquid diarrhea. Southern construction workers have fun turns of phrase.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Whoops, nothing to see here

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Oct 9, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I introduced a goon to the phrase “could poo poo through a screen door” in another thread and figured y’all might appreciate it.

It’s a situation that’s exactly what it sounds like- pure liquid diarrhea. Southern construction workers have fun turns of phrase.

I may have posted this before itt, but I had a teacher in high school who got totally frustrated with a class clown who couldn't grasp a simple subject because he was always goofing off and not paying attention.
One day the teacher exploded:

"Trying to teach you anything is like pushing diarrhea uphill with a rake!"

A similar, powerful verbal image.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Then he prescribed some fun painkillers, which I'm getting p hosed up on right now. THE END

Thanks for the kind thoughts! It's nothing life-threatening, it just really sucks because if you have arthritis, you can avoid or favor the joint that hurts. Your ribs... not so much, kinda gotta move those just to breathe. Sneezing's like someone's just shivved me.

Speaking of joints, the doc also explained costochondritis as "arthritis, but your ribs". While waiting in the exam room I wondered what "arth" meant, and it's "joint". So arthropods are our jointy-footed friends!

And yeah, I agree about those prefixes. "Intra vs inter" is another one that always got me, until computer networks became part of my library job many years back, and I had to distinguish between intranet and internet daily.

Guess the drugs are kicking in :lsd:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Inceltown posted:

Guess the drugs are kicking in :lsd:

WHOOPS

(In all honesty, I think was also me not being used to phone posting. But yeah, lortab clan ain't nothing to post with)

Or,

Hey guys! I've been working out!

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Was hanging out with my parents the other day and my dad busted out a Colombian idiom that I grew up with but had forgotten-- mamar gallo, literally to suck rooster. Sometimes it means joking around or pulling someone's leg, but it can also mean dicking around, which is the context my dad used (I had been complaining about my new job taking their sweet time giving me my official start date)

For whatever reason, he always says the phrase in English and puts on a really thick Colombian accent so it comes out as "esocking rrooster." Even if he's speaking Spanish while on the phone with his brother, he will say "esocking rrooster" to mean he's just sitting around not doing anything

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

After hearing a radio interviewer and interviewee both mispronounce "hyperbole" as "hyper-bowl" today I found:

Calliope Syndrome (intentionally mispronounced "callie-ohp", rhymes with "nope") - mispronouncing a word because you learned it from reading it but haven't heard it spoken (or haven't connected the word in your head with the spoken word).

Coined by Judith Wynn Halsted in her book Some of My Best Friends Are Books.

There's some good examples in this Metafilter thread.

My own example: I was in my early 20s before I realized that "facade", which I pronounced "fay-cade", was the same word as "façade" the French word. I knew and used "façade" in speech but thought they were two different words until someone called me out on it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Lawen posted:

My own example: I was in my early 20s before I realized that "facade", which I pronounced "fay-cade", was the same word as "façade" the French word. I knew and used "façade" in speech but thought they were two different words until someone called me out on it.

Me and the word "segue."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Eppy-tome

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Calvin and Hobbes taught me that one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(my emphasis)

Paladinus posted:

Said the actress to the bishop.

Rust Martialis posted:

My mother (born in 1926) used that exact phrase, and I have used it, and never seen anyone else use it.

Hello!

I have heard it from older members of my family as well, but none who lived in the last decade. Old expressions are neat.

My great grandma (born in Denmark late 1800s) used to say "up so early, and not even crying!" (my bad translation) if someone got up late, which always makes me laugh. I've often wondered if it's a quote from something, but I haven't been able to figure out if it was.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Nov 20, 2020

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
My Colombian mother would always ask "has a horse passed through?" if you forgot to close the door behind you. I know that in the US the phrase "were you raised in a barn?" is used in the same situation. Then I went on to look up some more idioms for when someone doesn't close the door.

Russia: Were you born in an elevator/a wigwam/the taiga?

Switzerland: Do you have bags for doors?

Italy: Are we at/do you live at the Colosseum?

Turkey: Were you born in a house/village without doors?

Hungary: Do you think the doors slide closed on snot?

Austria: Are you a Gypsy?

Finland: Were you born in a goahti?

Portugal: Are you from Braga? (One of several explanations of this idiom is that the town of Braga had its walls rebuilt in the 16th century without a door, as they anticipated never being besieged again)

Slovakia: Don't you have a door at home?

Pakistan: What, is your dad/uncle going to come close the door for you?

Scotland/Ireland: Were you born in a field?

Poland: Do you come from Africa? :(

Germany/Romania: Were you raised on a hillside?

Multiple languages: Do you have a long tail/Is your tail still coming through? (In certain Hispanophone countries can be a pun about the size of your rear end)

Multiple languages: Were you born in a boat/Were you born in a church/Were you born in a tent/Were you born on a bus/Do you live in a cave/Were you born on the subway (or U-bahn, S-train, etc.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kevin DuBrow posted:

yeah, that's no good (i assume the smiley is yours)

the Polish one is also pretty hosed up, racism against the Romani is a huge blind spot here. A Dane might have said that, tbh.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Kevin DuBrow posted:

My Colombian mother would always ask "has a horse passed through?" if you forgot to close the door behind you. I know that in the US the phrase "were you raised in a barn?" is used in the same situation. Then I went on to look up some more idioms for when someone doesn't close the door.

I'm sure it's just a translation issue, but what the hell, Hungary? That's gross. No, I don't think anybody has ever thought that a door slides closed on snot. Nor has anyone thought that someone else might think that.

Also, that was a neat list, thanks for sharing it! I've always heard the "born in a barn?" thing, but I live in Wisconsin, where there are a lot of barns, so I never really thought much of it. My dad also used to say "you make a better door than a window" if one of us was sitting/standing in front of the television, but I'm pretty sure that's just a dad thing rather than a nation/language thing.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 02:51 on Nov 21, 2020

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My Colombian dad said the tail thing if we didn't close doors or push our chairs back in after getting up from the table!

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Russia: Were you born in an elevator/a wigwam/the taiga?

Switzerland: Do you have bags for doors?

Italy: Are we at/do you live at the Colosseum?

Turkey: Were you born in a house/village without doors?

Austria: Are you a Gypsy?

Finland: Were you born in a goahti?

Portugal: Are you from Braga? (One of several explanations of this idiom is that the town of Braga had its walls rebuilt in the 16th century without a door, as they anticipated never being besieged again)

Slovakia: Don't you have a door at home?

Pakistan: What, is your dad/uncle going to come close the door for you?

Scotland/Ireland: Were you born in a field?

Germany/Romania: Were you raised on a hillside?

Multiple languages: Do you have a long tail/Is your tail still coming through? (In certain Hispanophone countries can be a pun about the size of your rear end)

Multiple languages: Were you born in a boat/Were you born in a church/Were you born in a tent/Were you born on a bus/Do you live in a cave/Were you born on the subway (or U-bahn, S-train, etc.)

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah, that's no good (i assume the smiley is yours)

the Polish one is also pretty hosed up, racism against the Romani is a huge blind spot here. A Dane might have said that, tbh.

Yeeeah some of those are surprisingly racist. And a few are especially dumb, since a goahti does have a door! and so do wigwams (generally one made of hides).

Are there any Hungarian goons who can explain what's up with their version? I can't say I'd usually associate snot with doors.

beats for junkies posted:

My dad also used to say "you make a better door than a window" if one of us was sitting/standing in front of the television, but I'm pretty sure that's just a dad thing rather than a nation/language thing.

My family says this too. The correct response to it is to stay where you are and do a stupid dance, or exaggeratedly lounge even more in front of the TV.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1332111899861934080

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Telemaze posted:

My family says this too. The correct response to it is to stay where you are and do a stupid dance, or exaggeratedly lounge even more in front of the TV.

My family days this too and the answer is to dramatically make a creeeeeak sound as you pivot 90* to the side.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They do this to the scots on QI all the time!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

so what's the word for being afraid of tongues?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

so what's the word for being afraid of tongues?

Touloungeaphobia is the abnormal and persistent fear of tongues. Some with this phobia have a fear of swallowing their own tongue. Those who suffer from Touloungeaphobia can't stand to be licked and French kissing is most likely out of the question

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks. Weird that nowhere describes the prefix that I can find. It's not in Merriam-Webster or Oxford, and there aren't even any wikipedia/wiktionary articles that start with touloung-.

Almost sounds like a pun on "too long" lol

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I was going back through my Kindle highlights from last year and ran across a few new words for y'all:

ineluctable - inevitable, irresistible, inescapable
estivate - to be in a dormant or torpid state during a hot dry period (as opposed to hibernate, the same for a cold period)
gravid - pregnant; distended with or full of eggs
parturition - the action or process of giving birth
enthymeme - a syllogism in which one of the premises is implicit. E.G. "Socrates is human, therefore Socrates is mortal" has an implied but unstated premise that "All humans are mortal"
guignol - a puppet, especially a hand puppet; a puppet show; a theatrical production featuring melodramatic tension, horror, and shock
emetic - a drug or agent that induces vomiting
contumely - harsh language or treatment arising from haughtiness or contempt
maskirovka - Russian military doctrine of deception developed in the early 20th century that covers a broad range of measures from camouflage, imitation with decoys/dummies, maneuvers intended to deceive, denial, and disinformation
refulgence - a radiant or resplendent quality or state
anodyne - serving to alleviate pain; something that soothes, calms, or comforts. OR something unlikely to offend or arouse tensions
duumvir - one of two people jointly holding power
panjandrum - a powerful personage or pretentious official
keloid - a thick scar resulting from excessive growth of fibrous tissue
esker - a long, narrow ridge or mound of sand, gravel, and boulders

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I do not want to know what you’ve been reading.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Anodyne is a favourite word on mine

Feels like silk out of the mouth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jestery posted:

I feel this way about appellate

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

interlocutor

/ˌɪntəˈlɒkjʊtə/

noun

FORMAL

a person who takes part in a dialogue or conversation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jestery posted:

Eh, it's fine I guess.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Jestery posted:

Yes -- it's beautiful :sparkles:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lawen posted:

estivate - to be in a dormant or torpid state during a hot dry period (as opposed to hibernate, the same for a cold period)

I've seen this one spelled aestivate as well. Comes from the latin root for summer the way hiber- does for winter.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This is an old post, but I don't feel like there's any racist subtext to this phrase, the way I always interpreted it is "do you come from Africa, where there is so hot that you don't need to keep the door shut?"

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Pocket had a roundup of articles about words without English equivalents and there were some good ones:

• kalsarikännit - Finnish, literally "pantsdrunk" - the Finnish tradition of getting drunk at home in your underwear
• ubuntu - Nguni/Zulu/Xhosa - a quality that includes the essential human virtues of compassion and humanity
• sobremesa - Spanish (Spain) - the time you spend at the table after you've finished eating -- chatting, relaxing, joking
• saudade - Portuguese - a pleasure that you suffer, or an ailment that you enjoy; also a melancholy nostalgia for something that perhaps has not even happened, and likely will never happen again
• mamihlapinatapai - Yaghan (indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego) - a look shared between two people when both are wishing the other would do something that neither wants to do
• greng-jai - Thai - when you don't want someone to do something for you because it would be a bother for him or her
• ikigai - Japanese - the idea that you can and should find something that you love, are good at, that the world needs, and that you can be paid for; more simply, the thing(s) that brings you joy in your daily life
• jayus - Indonesian - a joke so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh (bad puns, dad jokes, etc)
• uitwaaien - Dutch - literally "outblowing"; doing some kind of physical activity, usually a walk or bike ride, outside in the wind
• firgun - Hebrew - taking pleasure in another's good fortune, the opposite of schadenfreude
• shemomechama - Georgian - when you are full but continue eating anyway -- usually because something tastes so good that you can't stop -- and it's the food's fault, not the eater's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I found a neat article on wiki about obsolete units of Russian measurement and most of these now only exist in idioms

"Obsolete Russian units of measurement - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_Russian_units_of_measurement

There are some good idioms in there

The obsolete units of measurement survived in Russian culture in a number of idiomatic expressions and proverbs, for example:

Слышно за версту: (It) can be heard a verst away - about something very loud

Бешеной собаке семь вёрст не крюк: 7 versts is not a detour for a mad dog - about excessive energy or hassle

Милому дружку семь вёрст не околица: 7 verst is not too far for a darling friend

Верста коломенская: Kolomna verst - about a very tall and slim person (in this case the reference is to the verst pole road mark: (verstovoy stolb))

Косая сажень в плечах: Skew sazhen in the shoulders - about a strong, wide-shouldered person

Мерить всех на свой аршин. To gauge everybody by the same [literally: one's own] yardstick

Проглотить аршин. To swallow an arshin (yardstick) - about standing very straight and still