Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was a child! I was in love! It was wrong and you knew it!

...You knew what you were doing.

Can confirm there is a collation between trek and Indy fans.

Lol. Yeah that part has aged extremely well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

is mars terraformed in st?

According to Memory Alpha

Mars was the first planet to be terraformed by Humans. Colonists originally dwelt within domed cities while the verteron array was used to redirect comets and asteroids towards the Red Planet to impact in the polar caps. This freed carbon dioxide and released it into the atmosphere, increasing the planet's temperature and water volume. By 2155, conditions in the lowlands of the Martian surface were sufficiently altered to allow Humans to roam freely without heavy environmental suits, though one would still have to dress warmly for the near-arctic surface temperatures.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

According to Memory Alpha

Mars was the first planet to be terraformed by Humans. Colonists originally dwelt within domed cities while the verteron array was used to redirect comets and asteroids towards the Red Planet to impact in the polar caps. This freed carbon dioxide and released it into the atmosphere, increasing the planet's temperature and water volume. By 2155, conditions in the lowlands of the Martian surface were sufficiently altered to allow Humans to roam freely without heavy environmental suits, though one would still have to dress warmly for the near-arctic surface temperatures.

Unfortunately, if they/we don't figure out a way of getting Mar's core molten and spinning again, (or figuring out some way of replicating a magnetic field around Mars)
Then any sort of atmosphere terraforming is pointless.

I say hollow the planet out, and just build massive underground cities.

I would really like to see someone sciency try and figure out how much energy it would take to jumpstart Mar's core again.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Johnny Aztec posted:

I would really like to see someone sciency try and figure out how much energy it would take to jumpstart Mar's core again.

More than 5 and less than an infinite number of 9 volt batteries.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

is mars terraformed in st?

Yeah, that's why the robots were able to set the atmosphere on fire.

Edit: as pointed out above, Mars has a negligible magnetosphere IRL and won't hold any kind of atmosphere of any kind because solar winds just blow it away.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 27, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Unfortunately, if they/we don't figure out a way of getting Mar's core molten and spinning again, (or figuring out some way of replicating a magnetic field around Mars)

I always figured that if we were able to create an atmosphere via terraforming at such a short timescale, atmospheric loss would be at a relatively slow enough rate that you could just make more to replenish it. Unless there are other issues you're referring to

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah, that's why the robots were able to set the atmosphere on fire.

wow the eu stuff sure gets crazy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

to get the job you need a university degree

there's only one university

it's located trillions of miles away

We've heard of people who graduated from annexes in other systems. But really given that any job in Starfleet involves leaving your home for most of your career anyway it's not a big deal to have to leave your home at the start.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Commissioned officers live on the San Francisco Bay in a garden paradise. NCOs live in arctic temperatures under the dull black sky on the dead rust planet

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

poisonpill posted:

Commissioned officers live on the San Francisco Bay in a garden paradise. NCOs live in arctic temperatures under the dull black sky on the dead rust planet

O'Brien's from Ireland so this makes sense

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im picard's brother and space is STUPID

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

love picard bro's gnarly face, love everything about it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Omg I'm watching disco and this is so dumb. They just need a location and a time stamp, why is everyone acting like burnham is asking for all the sEcReT FiLeS?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Also Jesus Christ stop whispering for no reason!!!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Achmed Jones posted:

Omg I'm watching disco and this is so dumb

the DISCO experience i don't hate it :negative:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes the Intrepid was an all-Vulcan ship that gets blown up in The Ultimate Computer

Sorry, but it was in the Immunity Syndrome

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I always figured that if we were able to create an atmosphere via terraforming at such a short timescale, atmospheric loss would be at a relatively slow enough rate that you could just make more to replenish it. Unless there are other issues you're referring to

No, you're right, I read a study on that once and they said the loss rate would be on the scale of tens of thousands of years to be serious. Fast on a cosmic timescale, but well within maintenance ability of anyone capable of terraforming in the first place. The one potential drawback would be if civilization collapsed, you might not be able to build back in time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bula Vinaka posted:

You guys see this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQ0og_x9OI

Spock and McCoy look great, Kirk looks weird, probably because Chris Pine looks weird and doesn't have Shatner's face shape, body type, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC3uH4Xw4Xo

Harrison Ford's face looks perfect on Ehrenreich... wish they would (re)do the whole movie like this with Ford reading the lines.

Eventually they will have convincing voice replication tech and they will probably make completely new movies / shows with the original actor's voices, bodies, and faces, and it will look and sound completely believable.

My god, it's PhillipsVision! The Critic predicted this!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

Omg I'm watching disco and this is so dumb.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Fabulousity posted:

Haven't seen TMP in like over a decade. Does the director's cut change things up a lot?

The "Director's Cut" DVD was considered by most to be a significant improvement. It improved the pacing but it was done carefully enough so that I don't think it hurt the overall story. I liked the original cut, but YMMV. The biggest drawback with the director's cut is that many of the bridge and computer sound effects were changed or removed, and it just grates on me when I remember what it's supposed to sound like. For example, they completely removed the synthesized computer voice that said things like INTRUDER and RED ALERT.

Edit: note that AFAIK, the Director's Cut is only on DVD at present. The Blu Ray version of TMP is the theatrical cut.

Edit 2: Just was looking at Amazon, and saw that they have a Blu Ray collection of all 6 TOS movies currently priced at $9.99, but I can't really tell what region it's for (or if it is region free).

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection [Blu-ray]
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Picture-Collection/dp/B016OLA17U

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 27, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

dude, the federation has deflector dishes. those can do literally anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brawnfire posted:

I always liked how Cowboy Bebop showed Mars, where everyone lived inside an open air colony surrounded by gigantic retaining walls that kept most of the atmosphere from bleeding out.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Did they know TNG season 7 would be the last one? Cause they're sure going all out on weird plot ideas. Ghosts, in my warp nacelle?

(come to think of it, the idea of All Good Things would indicate that they did, I suppose.)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

My Lovely Horse posted:

Did they know TNG season 7 would be the last one? Cause they're sure going all out on weird plot ideas. Ghosts, in my warp nacelle?

(come to think of it, the idea of All Good Things would indicate that they did, I suppose.)

they wrote and shot every episode in like 10 days so they could have made half the season without knowing if it was going to be the last one or not

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fabulousity posted:

Haven't seen TMP in like over a decade. Does the director's cut change things up a lot?

Also lol that there are cursed ships but the Mirandas take it to the next level by being a cursed class.

It's a goddamn miracle anyone survived from the Saratoga at Wolf 359, given it was the Saratoga and a Miranda. Presumably the presence of The Sisko is what allowed anyone to make it off at all.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well they did restart that one planet's core, in tng.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Achmed Jones posted:

Omg I'm watching disco and this is so dumb. They just need a location and a time stamp, why is everyone acting like burnham is asking for all the sEcReT FiLeS?

It's because they use forced (and inexplicable) character conflict (and a bucket of Michael's tears) to try and somehow produce drama/tension. When Disco is bad, it's like giving a toddler random story/character tropes/devices and expecting Citizen Kane to magically appear. When Disco is "good", the toddler managed to make Scary Movie XXI.

Also, Burnham (imo) is nearly unwatchable now since she never stops crying or being a loving annoying rear end in a top hat. It's like Caillou in space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

It's because they use forced (and inexplicable) character conflict (and a bucket of Michael's tears) to try and somehow produce drama/tension. When Disco is bad, it's like giving a toddler random story/character tropes/devices and expecting Citizen Kane to magically appear. When Disco is "good", the toddler managed to make Scary Movie XXI.

Also, Burnham (imo) is nearly unwatchable now since she never stops crying or being a loving annoying rear end in a top hat. It's like Caillou in space.

I don't think she managed to have one scene this episode where her head wasn't tilted dramatically at a silly angle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That stare at her mom during the quorum meeting was... a strange choice

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Brawnfire posted:

That stare at her mom during the quorum meeting was... a strange choice

She used to be in The Wire, and now she's speaking 97% gibberish in STD. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did Vulcan have a moon in Disco S3?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ensign that keeps leaving the comm channel open by accident

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

once saw a post saying "only the finest restaurants can afford a full-time bong stroker" to which I replied "uhhhh, I believe you'll find money does not exist on 24th century Earth, public bong-stroking is clearly that man's passion"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What a charming coin press.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blistex posted:

:perfect:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hi friends, I have never watched TNG before or really any Star Trek for that matter but just started watching catching random episodes on Pluto.tv and I think this show might be kinda good! I went back and started watching from the beginning on Netflix, I particularly liked the episode where everyone got covid if covid just made you super horny. Picard grunts suggestively at one point when he realizes he's been infected and it was really loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Blistex posted:

It's like Caillou in space.

Holy poo poo lmao new thread title