Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hwurmp posted:

maybe robots are the real victims of racism

They're just things to be owned and should be treated as such tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Just remembered Exodus is on GOG, and... wait.

E: What's the consensus on Exodus in terms of stability and DLC worthwhileness anyway? Most of the downvotes I'm seeing are for respirators being bugged to run out almost instantly, saves becoming corrupted, softlocks ruining entire campaigns...

I’ve got about 100 hours between a couple of PCs and didn’t encounter any noteworthy bugs or crashes. It probably soft locked or something in that time period but I can’t recall anything significant or specific.

Both DLC are solid standalone stories. The Two Colonels is a relatively short (maybe a couple of hours tops?) story wherein you’ll get a lot of time with a flamethrower and worms. It’s not bad.

Sam’s Story is a much more significant campaign that encompasses an area approx. the same size as one of the base game’s open worlds (probably doesn’t have a lot of relevance to somebody who hasn’t played the game, but it’s quite substantial). It’s interesting playing a character who actually speaks and interacts with other people, and there are a couple of new weapons and mutants. It’s a little rough around the edges—the world design lacks the base game’s polish, but on the other hand it still doesn’t feel rushed or bad by any stretch. It’s been about a year since I played it but, if you’re thorough, you can probably get another 5-8 hours out of it?

In sum they’re both solid additions to the game and will certainly scratch the itch of more Metro.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Strategic Tea posted:

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke :ubisoft:

Huh there's a ubi emote who knew

I think that's from when AC2 came out and the Ubi cloud was obliterating people's save games

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuligin posted:

anyone know if the new Black Mesa update fixed their aimbot marines

It did! They're just right now. Black mesa is fantastic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah I replayed through Black Mesa again and it’s definitely fixed. Those little black ops ninjas are finally manageable. The Xen levels still drag at times and I struggled on the conveyer belt guantlet with the infinity gluon gun.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They should’ve deleted that stupid rear end conveyor belt level

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Strategic Tea posted:

I honestly can't tell if that's a joke :ubisoft:

Huh there's a ubi emote who knew
i want to take this opportunity to thank whomever runs this youtube channel for validating that one time i spent almost forty minutes watching credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEm4aI3GJ4&t=2013s

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

i want to take this opportunity to thank whomever runs this youtube channel for validating that one time i spent almost forty minutes watching credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEm4aI3GJ4&t=2013s

I just keep imagining some poor composer going "You want the credits theme to be how long?"

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So this game ( Astrox Imperium ) has been on my radar for a while now and I'm wondering if it is any good, since it's currently 50% off and I'm bored as gently caress, it claims to be a single player EVE Online, which totally sounds awesome if it is actually good, but so many of these types of games and claims just kinda fail to deliver on the end result with over promises.

Any goons with EVE or X3 experience know anything about this game? Does it actually live up to what it says, or since it's still in EA should I just wait a bit more.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah I replayed through Black Mesa again and it’s definitely fixed. Those little black ops ninjas are finally manageable. The Xen levels still drag at times and I struggled on the conveyer belt guantlet with the infinity gluon gun.

I've started playing through this again, my first death was to that stupid fuckin jumping puzzle.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

During the summer sale a few months ago I decided to be a mad man and buy the entire rear end Creed franchise from the first one up through Odyssey and play them back to back. At the time, I made it all the way to rear end Creed 3 and got halfway before fatigue set in and I stopped. So many problems with 3 (more on that in a future post), but I came back to it recently and am powering through. My question for the thread is, once I’m done, should I bother with the expansion “Tyranny of King George”? Is there some good uniqueness or fun to be had? Or is it really just more rear end Creed 3 with a silly “what if” story tacked on? Should I just gently caress off to Liberation next?

The Tyranny of King George completely squanders anything interesting that could come with the premise because it has George Washington becoming a despotic king as the result of an evil Apple of Eden shooting a corruption ray at him like he's a Warcraft character. There's no real pathos but at the same time it's too grounded and boring to find campy fun in him just executing random civilians and planning to invade Britain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Im_Special posted:

So this game ( Astrox Imperium ) has been on my radar for a while now and I'm wondering if it is any good, since it's currently 50% off and I'm bored as gently caress, it claims to be a single player EVE Online, which totally sounds awesome if it is actually good, but so many of these types of games and claims just kinda fail to deliver on the end result with over promises.

Any goons with EVE or X3 experience know anything about this game? Does it actually live up to what it says, or since it's still in EA should I just wait a bit more.

I have played a very small amount. And it's been over a decade since I played EVE, but yeah. It plays like a single-player EVE. It's not super but it looks nice and it passes the time. I didn't really play enough to get sucked in, but I could see the potential for that to happen, if you see what I mean. It's nowhere *near* X3 though, it's not as complicated as that. I would take the promises with a pinch of salt but there are a good few hours of low-key amusement there. You'll know within the refund window I reckon.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Kly posted:

so i got Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor which is apparently two games? one called Martyr the other Prophecy.
do i need to install both to play the whole thing from the beginning or does just instally prophecy give me access to all of the martyr stuff?

Installing one installs the other.
Its one of those games that has everything already installed.
Martyr adds new classes.
So just use that Play button.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I played through the first part of Tyranny of King George. Some rear end in a top hat Native American grandma is trying to get me to smoke some bomb rear end weed and Conner is being a whiney bitch about it. Otherwise the story is dumb as poo poo but I’ll suffer through as commanded...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've just had a little play of Abandon Ship. It's a fun little FTL-ish take on Age of Sail naval combat. You sail around an oil-painting-looking overworld and do events that are like FTL planet visits. Sometimes fighting, sometimes not. You have to manage supplies and ship hull health. Combat is a lot quicker and more active than what I remember of FTL but perhaps not as deep? Your ship doesn't have as many 'systems' to go wrong. I like it, but I'm just coming off a binge of Hornblower books and might be heading for O'Brien next. There's plenty of time for the game to fall apart or get boring, but two things make me curious. First of all I found a port selling a lightning gun and I want one. Second of all one of my crew has a trait 'arachnophobia' which means he has trouble fighting spiders. When will that come up? Who knows! Good times. I think the full price is a bit high but for the sale price I'm pleased.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

HopperUK posted:

I like it, but I'm just coming off a binge of Hornblower books and might be heading for O'Brien next.

Take a look at Naval Action if you want some pretty Age of Sail action!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Take a look at Naval Action if you want some pretty Age of Sail action!

Thanks I will take a look!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also Assassin's Creed Black Flag (and/or Rogue) if you're looking for something a bit more arcadey in that vein

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Im_Special posted:

It appears to be a sequel/retreated/something over a previous game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/414720/Astrox_Hostile_Space_Excavation/ which isn't early access, maybe you could try it? On of the negative reviews on Imperium says the previous game is better in the current state of both.

You could also look into https://store.steampowered.com/app/2820/X3_Terran_Conflict/ which is 80% off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, how does the Shenmue trilogy hold up?

With games that old, the remastered editions usually add a fair bit of QoL improvements to the core gameplay, and I haven't heard too much about Shenmue 3 other then the usual complaining it was a EGS exclusive.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

pentyne posted:

With games that old, the remastered editions usually add a fair bit of QoL improvements to the core gameplay, and I haven't heard too much about Shenmue 3 other then the usual complaining it was a EGS exclusive.
The only QoL improvement to I and II that I remember is that saving and reloading is a snap. Though I think they added a "wait" function to Shenmue I so you're not standing in the middle of the street like an rear end in a top hat waiting for night time.

The controls are exactly as you remember them, which is to say bad.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

Shenmue 3 is exactly as awkward as the other other two. The re-releases didn’t really change anything about the games either.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shenmue III is very much the exact game Yu Suzuki would've made had he been allowed to make it right after Shenmue II came out and the Dreamcast didn't die a pig's death.

On one hand it's fascinating, like seeing an animal long-thought extinct. On the other, it's a demonstration as to why Yakuza has basically made Shenmue obsolete.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Funky Valentine posted:

Shenmue III is very much the exact game Yu Suzuki would've made had he been allowed to make it right after Shenmue II came out and the Dreamcast didn't die a pig's death.

On one hand it's fascinating, like seeing an animal long-thought extinct. On the other, it's a demonstration as to why Yakuza has basically made Shenmue obsolete.

I disagree. Shenmue 3 is a worse Shenmue than the others. Shenmue 1 and 2 had a needlessly deep combat system, whereas 3 just had an incredibly shallow grind. Playing them back to back really highlights what a dip in quality 3 was.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is what I'm looking at

Shenmue trilogy is just something I've been wanting to play but if the games are just exactly as if they had been made in 2000s I might have to pass.

It's mostly the weird sorta-jank games I've been eyeing for years .

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

Shenmue trilogy is just something I've been wanting to play but if the games are just exactly as if they had been made in 2000s I might have to pass.

Outer Worlds is bland boring trash fire that the best adjective one could use is 'mediocre' and not worth $30. you can play it for $1 using xbox game pass for pc. it wasn't even worth the $1 I spent on game pass for it, but I did get to play A Plagues Tale and Bloodstained on it which made it worth it. A Plague's Tale owns bones.

you shoudl remove Outer Worlds and instead buy Outer Wilds which would have been GOTY if not for Disco Elysium https://store.steampowered.com/app/753640/Outer_Wilds/

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

pentyne posted:

Check fanatical.com for Control. $20 is better than the €20 they want in Europe, but fanatical *might* still be a better deal.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

pentyne posted:

I had Shenmue on the Dreamcast and it is a relic of its time. I saw playthrough's of 2 and 3 and I will say the same thing there.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

If you really want to play Shenmue, then 1 and 2 will let you figure out if you enjoy the series enough to want to stick with it and you're virtually guaranteed not to be done with them before another sale rolls around.

Vampyr is okay - I don't know of they ever fixed the dialog skipping issue though. When I played it, if you skipped dialog, it skipped to the next line of the person you're talking with, instead of your next line. So if you read ahead of the voice acting it can get really annoying. That combines in a really funny way since the game takes place in England, so there are a million pleasantries to go through at the start of a conversation before you actually get to what you want to talk about.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 27, 2020

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

pentyne posted:

I thought outer worlds was all right! But I also didn’t play the fallout games so maybe I just don’t know what I’m missing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sauer kraut posted:

Exodus feels like a tedious slog to me. I made it to the desert map a few weeks ago and never went back to it :smith:
Stepping into a puddle of mud? Your weapon is now 30% degraded. Swim 10 feet? 100%, better find one of the safe rooms and spend resources to clean your weapons. Wanna explore an actual cool and interesting area? Better put on the gas mask with the time limited filters ticking away.
Oh you wanted to use one of your cool weapons/farted in the general direction of one 'wrong' enemy type? Everyone hates your guts and you probably get the bad ending after 40 hours.

I played through FC5 in one go. Skip the insane cutscenes as often as possible, it's a decent open world game in a redneck/wilderness setting.

The thing about your weapons getting dirty and degrading their performance in Metro Exodus is that it only matters with automatic or burst-fire weapons. Slow/single fire weapons never seem to jam. Like the pneumatic gun or crossbow in your third weapon slot. Or the shotguns.

So when out exploring you hold one of the above weapons. It won’t matter if you end up plunging into the Volga or end up walking through a sandstorm. No matter how much dirt is caked on one of those weapons, they’ll still be a-okay!

This is pretty much a cheat on Ranger Hardcore difficulty, since you don’t have to waste your very limited resources on cleaning weapons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's honestly a bit strange to me that someone would call Exodus a tedious slog but be able to play through Far Cry 5 without breaks, because Far Cry games are pretty much by design repetitive slogs of doing the same "take the camp, watch cutscene" stuff over and over again that they've been built around since Far Cry 3. Far Cry 5 is only exceptional for being by far the worst of the bunch and Exodus is, if nothing else, linear and fairly tightly designed by comparison.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I could enjoy Shenmue 1 since I played it to death on the Dreamcast decades ago, maybe 2 if they're basically the same game but the biggest thing that comes up when people mentioned 2 was how hard it becomes just to navigate and find things, like they got excited to make the game world 10x bigger and then did nothing to make the experience traversing that map remotely understandable.

Tbh the biggest ding against it is that Yakuza is just much better in every way for that kind of gameplay experience and I've got Kiwami 2 still unplayed from the Summer sale.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drop Outer Worlds, buy Disco Elysium, experience true philosophical thinking and despair.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Communist Bear posted:

Drop Outer Worlds, buy Disco Elysium, experience true philosophical thinking and despair.

yes do this

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I mean, do buy Disco Elysium, but Outer worlds is ok. It's a not-as-good sci-fi Fallout. I enjoyed playing it fanatically anti-capitalist, just destroying the corporation and upper class on sight or after whatever minimal dialogue I had to go through. And this didn't break the game!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'd drop Vampyr, Shenmues and The Outer Worlds from that cart.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the shenmue series spends way more time and effort on a million tiny details whose only purpose is verisimilitude than on gameplay. that appeals to some people, but unless you are sure that includes you i wouldn't recommend buying the entire trilogy all at once.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

pentyne posted:

I'm going to echo all the calls to drop Outer Worlds. Just look at the game thread if you have any doubt.

Some goon called it perfectly when they described it as 'so mediocre that it was almost offensive'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The single most interesting thing I've ever heard about Outer Worlds is that it had a bug involving follower NPCs dying which the devs suspected "might have been caused by a cow spawning into their location and catapulting them into space," which says a lot about how completely bland and ignorable everything else about it is.