Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Grogu straight purring like my drat cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alan Smithee posted:

Pick up that can

Gun nerding for a second, but I'm not sure how I feel about those blaster rifles. They look almost too modern. I like my blasters to be 1890-1930 pistols and rifles with gubbins glued on. Those almost look like they were using an AK receiver as a base (at least I think I saw a selector switch on the right side, which immediately says "AK" to me) I think Cobb also had an AK-based blaster in the first episode.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
HK-47 would be beside himself with how much more poo poo his successor models got. He goes nuts over the HK-50's but at least they could still get the business of done albeit in a way he didn't respect. The HK-87's were goddamned pathetic.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gun nerding for a second, but I'm not sure how I feel about those blaster rifles. They look almost too modern. I like my blasters to be 1890-1930 pistols and rifles with gubbins glued on. Those almost look like they were using an AK receiver as a base (at least I think I saw a selector switch on the right side, which immediately says "AK" to me) I think Cobb also had an AK-based blaster in the first episode.

the rifles look a lot like they took the silhouette of an sks (or polish wz. 1938M if you want a more obscure gun) and built in a lot of the tertiary details with shapes from a world war 2 machine gun to me. they definitely fit the dieselpunk aesthetic of star wars blasters imo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

From the first Mandalorian thread posted:

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think they would bring Ahsoka or Thrawn into live action for the first time in this series. At this point they're two of the last remaining characters that have the potential to get people excited if they appeared in one of the movies and I think Disney probably wants to keep them in their back pocket for when they need to pull out something that feels special.

Hehe.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

theres only so many guns from WW2 or earlier, eventually you will get kit bashes from newer stuff. And its a moot point anyways, rebels were using M16 kitbashes in Empire.

Kanine posted:

Speaking of blaster chat: I like to collage blaster designs in photoshop out of old random guns/airguns/etc. and I'm curious if any specific ones stick out as good candidates for translation to 3d models/physical props in your opinion. I use a lot of these also as potential items for swd&d campaigns as well.

I've been really strongly considering some kind of original character (some kind of bounty hunter/smuggler/scoundrel) for cosplay once cons happen again after covid.

Never got to weigh in on this but I just wanted to say the left side 2nd up from the bottom with the triangle stock is loving cleaaaaaaaaan and its definitely a bounty hunter rifle.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 27, 2020

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol Grogu. Everytime someone says his name it makes me chuckle because I think of Rogu from American Dad.

Every. Single. Time. Hell, I actually thought she said Rogu at first.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jerkface posted:

Never got to weigh in on this but I just wanted to say the left side 2nd up from the bottom with the triangle stock is loving cleaaaaaaaaan and its definitely a bounty hunter rifle.

I feel like the exposed recoil spring should be covered, but that is definitely a good one.

And yeah, I violated my own comment above by making a low-effort one a few days ago out of a Chinese Silenced pistol from the 60s.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I didnt watch the Clone Wars cartoon so Ahsoka was meh, but Thrawn gently caress YA!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sydin posted:

HK-47 would be beside himself with how much more poo poo his successor models got. He goes nuts over the HK-50's but at least they could still get the business of done albeit in a way he didn't respect. The HK-87's were goddamned pathetic.

The thing with HK-47 is the more removed from the original, the shitter they are.

Were the writers somehow timetravelling and reading the thread from the week before this ep because goddamn so many people here called how this was gonna go down.

I'm guessing that's the lightsaber battle for this season that disney has been spruiking in all their promos.

Ahsoka's head tails looked a bit creased and foam-like but also isn't she getting on a bit in age now? Maybe they're like wrinkles.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kanine posted:

the rifles look a lot like they took the silhouette of an sks (or polish wz. 1938M if you want a more obscure gun) and built in a lot of the tertiary details with shapes from a world war 2 machine gun to me. they definitely fit the dieselpunk aesthetic of star wars blasters imo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

the whole thing screams Remington 870/Benelli tactical to me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NGL, thought michael biehn was a bit wasted in this role. Wasn't a bad one, just very "hi. bye"

Worst to me is still Toro Callican, what a black hole of a character

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Spookydonut posted:

Ahsoka's head tails looked a bit creased and foam-like but also isn't she getting on a bit in age now? Maybe they're like wrinkles.

Ahsoka should be in her mid-40s by now, so pretty close to Rosario’s actual age.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ahsoka should be in her mid-40s by now, so pretty close to Rosario’s actual age.

Yeah so I see them as signs of aging.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That episode was basically more or less Dave Filoni saying, yes, some of the best non-movie star wars is absolutely canon.

What an episode.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Have there been season 3 casting announcements yet?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I feel like this is the Star Wars I had in my imagination as a kid reading EU novels.

I can't begin to explain how good of a feeling that is to see on the television screen.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Would Asoka be the universe’s deadliest person? She’s the only known surviving person to be trained by the Jedi before the collapse. She’s fought in countless battles and has crossed blades with Sith Lords and dark Jedi. Her combat resume is pretty insane.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013
So Baby Yoda (AKA Grogu) is 50 yo and was trained on Coruscant.
Probably knew Anakin, Qui Gon and Yoda, right?
What are the chances he makes his force-broadcast on Tython and its their force-ghosts who show up?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I am 100% expecting adult Ezra to show up next season.

With Tano saying "go to tython, never know what Jedi might show up" I fully expect Ezra to pop up

He and Sabine landing as the finale cliffhanger

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Herostratus posted:

So Baby Yoda (AKA Grogu) is 50 yo and was trained on Coruscant.
Probably knew Anakin, Qui Gon and Yoda, right?
What are the chances he makes his force-broadcast on Tython and its their force-ghosts who show up?

I fully expect that ghost Yoda shows up but Grogu sees him and Din doesn't so Din thinks it was a waste of time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sometimes Star Wars sucks but sometimes it's good and makes me go gently caress yeah

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

Have there been season 3 casting announcements yet?

Yeah Cara Dune will be played by:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

This is a stupid wish, and I know its stupid and wont actually happen. But as they get closer and closer in time to the sequel trilogy I hope they just throw in a massive swerve and more or less wipe the sequel trilogy away. Just admit the sequels were a poorly planned and wipe the slate clean and come up with a new trilogy based around Thrawn taking control of the remnants of the Empire. You have the power to do it Disney! The Mandalorian can give you a fresh new start for the franchise if you only just have the balls to do it.

gently caress I dont know if you have this much power, but if you do you can wipe away the prequel trilogy as well! Make it actually about the Clone Wars and Anakins fall instead of just skipping the big war that had been hinted about since ANH. Perhaps this is just the rambling of someone who stayed up way too late to watch this episode though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

we all know Disney is going to reboot the sequels every time they get a new CEO, it'll be their way of leaving their mark

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sammus posted:

Would Asoka be the universe’s deadliest person? She’s the only known surviving person to be trained by the Jedi before the collapse. She’s fought in countless battles and has crossed blades with Sith Lords and dark Jedi. Her combat resume is pretty insane.

Luke blew up a death star. And he did beat Vader.

Anyway I absolutely love the storytelling in this show. It's very lessons learned from the MCU in terms of sticking to what the show is, while bit by bit laying blocks of worldbuilding. It feels like they could continue at this pace for years, or at any point decide to have a sudden thematic shift into grand space opera and suddenly have huge space battles with Gideon and Thrawn and the Darksabre.

Also at some point they need to have Hamill on. Really. They just do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DurosKlav posted:

This is a stupid wish, and I know its stupid and wont actually happen. But as they get closer and closer in time to the sequel trilogy I hope they just throw in a massive swerve and more or less wipe the sequel trilogy away. Just admit the sequels were a poorly planned and wipe the slate clean and come up with a new trilogy based around Thrawn taking control of the remnants of the Empire. You have the power to do it Disney! The Mandalorian can give you a fresh new start for the franchise if you only just have the balls to do it.

gently caress I dont know if you have this much power, but if you do you can wipe away the prequel trilogy as well! Make it actually about the Clone Wars and Anakins fall instead of just skipping the big war that had been hinted about since ANH. Perhaps this is just the rambling of someone who stayed up way too late to watch this episode though.

:hmmyes:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alchenar posted:

Luke blew up a death star. And he did beat Vader.

Anyway I absolutely love the storytelling in this show. It's very lessons learned from the MCU in terms of sticking to what the show is, while bit by bit laying blocks of worldbuilding. It feels like they could continue at this pace for years, or at any point decide to have a sudden thematic shift into grand space opera and suddenly have huge space battles with Gideon and Thrawn and the Darksabre.

Goku/ Baby Yoda is what Luke was referring to as having seen this kind of "raw power" before.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't believe in canon, but I also don't believe in going out of your way to try to pretend other bodies of work aren't real as an act of spite.

The mini-retcon The Mandalorian seems to be going for is to ignore the implication in other work that the Star Wars ended 1 year after Endor and then there was 20 years of peace until TFA, instead leaning into the more sensible story that the Empire fractured and bits of it on the fringes continued to make trouble for a bit. I don't think The Mandalorian feels bound by any implication from the Sequel Trilogy that there were no wars or big space battles in the span between ROTJ and TFA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Alchenar posted:

"Hi, I'm Luuke"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Just chiming in to say I grinned like a massive idiot when Thrawn got name dropped.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sammus posted:

Either Ahsoka or Luke. Yoda was better teacher than Anakin ever was.

I really really hope mandolorian doesn't try to tie in any of the dumb sequel trilogy poo poo and just keeps vibing with its own poo poo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ancient jedi temple ruin kinda screams "ghost story!", and hey maybe they've somehow managed to keep an appearance by Liam Neeson under the radar.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I feel like the exposed recoil spring should be covered, but that is definitely a good one.

And yeah, I violated my own comment above by making a low-effort one a few days ago out of a Chinese Silenced pistol from the 60s.

nice work! Feels like it could be in the same family as a Westar-35.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 27, 2020

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Tython isn't going to be this season imo, Din is going to need to find a map or w/e to get there because deep core routes are hella dangerous.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Just chiming in to say I grinned like a massive idiot when Thrawn got name dropped.

I did a little, but I realised it also means that all the stuff with Gideon and the Darksabre is now far more likely to be dangling plot threads that might get returned to one day but there probably isn't a solid A-to-B-to-C plan to do it yet. They're establishing all of these entities as directions they might choose to go in the future.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Din was every dad during the testing.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Alchenar posted:

I did a little, but I realised it also means that all the stuff with Gideon and the Darksabre is now far more likely to be dangling plot threads that might get returned to one day but there probably isn't a solid A-to-B-to-C plan to do it yet. They're establishing all of these entities as directions they might choose to go in the future.

Gideon will show up for season finale

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well I basically couldn’t be happier. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

Tython isn't going to be this season imo, Din is going to need to find a map or w/e to get there because deep core routes are hella dangerous.

this is star wars

next episode he'll ask for directions at some outer rim gas station and the ending will be him, gro...baby yoda, and his jedi trainer fighting gideon on tython