Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it was pretty lame, especially because they kept up with the whole "so is Iscra like living confirmation bias, or what?" mystery, but overall it wasn't bad. It just felt rushed, like all of the last three weeks have.

As I understand it, she only switches sides when the situation is hopeless for the side she's on. Otherwise she just doesn't lose.

Effectively a more limited version of Darwin with victory instead of survival. The turncoat thing being kind of like what happened when Darwin fought Hulk. His powers took the path of least resistance and just booked it out of there. But they could have gone further if teleporting away wasn't an option.

I imagine Isca turns traitor once beyond a certain point of likely victory but, given she's an omega level mutant, if attaining victory by switching sides wasn't an option her powers would find another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Adder Moray posted:

As I understand it, she only switches sides when the situation is hopeless for the side she's on. Otherwise she just doesn't lose.

Effectively a more limited version of Darwin with victory instead of survival. The turncoat thing being kind of like what happened when Darwin fought Hulk. His powers took the path of least resistance and just booked it out of there. But they could have gone further if teleporting away wasn't an option.

I imagine Isca turns traitor once beyond a certain point of likely victory but, given she's an omega level mutant, if attaining victory by switching sides wasn't an option her powers would find another way.

Where's it say she's Omega level, I mean I guess she is because of how Hickman redefined what "Omega Level" meant, but did anyone actually say that?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Where's it say she's Omega level, I mean I guess she is because of how Hickman redefined what "Omega Level" meant, but did anyone actually say that?

Data page on the 10 Swords of Arrako in X of Swords: Destruction.

On another note, it just occurred to me: There is now a better option to punish mutants who break the law. Send them off to live in Amenth for however long you decide their sentence to be.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 26, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did I make this up or didn't Hickman say he wasn't gonna invent any new mutants because there were already enough of them for whatever stories you wanted to tell?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Did I make this up or didn't Hickman say he wasn't gonna invent any new mutants because there were already enough of them for whatever stories you wanted to tell?
Definitely something like that said. Though to be fair, I don't really count the faceless masses that are going to come from this and the mutant Sword Bearers were a necessity for mutant villains unless we wanted Krakoa already going to pieces.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Definitely something like that said. Though to be fair, I don't really count the faceless masses that are going to come from this and the mutant Sword Bearers were a necessity for mutant villains unless we wanted Krakoa already going to pieces.

You don't think any of the teaming masses in Arroka are gonna start getting screen time, or Doug's large wife?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

You don't think any of the teaming masses in Arroka are gonna start getting screen time, or Doug's large wife?

Doug's Large Wife is lumped in with the rest of the Arakki swordbearers as being necessary for this story. I figure all of them are going to be showing up. Hell, I peg Isca as taking Apocalypse's council seat. But as for the millions of unnamed Arakki mutants? Eventually, but not any time soon.

The only ones I see as unnecessarily breaking that rule is the guy the Hellions fought and the sidekick characters from the upcoming book. And that last set is kind of necessary for the premise, we just have to see if the premise is worth exploring.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He's also allowed to have changed his mind especially since he's working alongside so many other writers playing with the same setting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

He's also allowed to have changed his mind especially since he's working alongside so many other writers playing with the same setting.

I mean, I'm gonna be pissed if we never see Pogg-Ur-Pogg again, I just thought it was funny and like technically we got new mutants (not to be confused with The New Mutants) in the second issue of X-Men with Summoner/Apocalypse's (grand?)son.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I'm gonna be pissed if we never see Pogg-Ur-Pogg again, I just thought it was funny and like technically we got new mutants (not to be confused with The New Mutants) in the second issue of X-Men with Summoner/Apocalypse's (grand?)son.

Ok, I see what you're saying-- Pogg-Ur-Pogg should immediately join the New Mutants-- and I agree entirely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Doug's Large Wife is lumped in with the rest of the Arakki swordbearers as being necessary for this story. I figure all of them are going to be showing up. Hell, I peg Isca as taking Apocalypse's council seat. But as for the millions of unnamed Arakki mutants? Eventually, but not any time soon.

The only ones I see as unnecessarily breaking that rule is the guy the Hellions fought and the sidekick characters from the upcoming book. And that last set is kind of necessary for the premise, we just have to see if the premise is worth exploring.

isca joining the council would be hilarious because she always wins, which would almost certainly include debates and votes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

isca joining the council would be hilarious because she always wins, which would almost certainly include debates and votes.

She'd be loving terrible at it because she would only ever join the side of a debate that was already winning. Given the horrible people already on the council I can't imagine anyone else who would be a worse choice, she's not a tie-breaker she's a hanger on.

Sebastian Shaw's son (can't remember his name) is a great person to put on the council because Shaw is so terrible it won't take long for his son to realize how loving terrible he is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Honestly, Isca is a one note character and I don't want to see more of her. Her unique trait is going to be ran into the ground fast and, aside that, there's little more to her.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Honestly, Isca is a one note character and I don't want to see more of her. Her unique trait is going to be ran into the ground fast and, aside that, there's little more to her.
After Hickman's run we'll probably never see her again unless a writer is being cute and wants to punctuate a victory.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
I love Hickman Cyclops so much.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Bonus meme

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, that's my favorite part of the run so far. Scott and Jean telling the council to shove it while calling themselves the X-Men, which the council didn't want to be used anymore.

Just like usual, Cyclops was right.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Skwirl posted:

Sebastian Shaw's son (can't remember his name) is a great person to put on the council because Shaw is so terrible it won't take long for his son to realize how loving terrible he is.

Shinobi, which I believe is Japanese for "the absolute loving worst."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That drat smkapwing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gently caress yeah, mutant politics. Totally ridiculous event, but it was a lot of fun. Nightcrawler said what I was thinking, Cyclops continues to be a total ace under Hickman, and Apocalypse having a family, and a secret history is such a refreshing change after all the lackluster Apocalypse plots we’ve endured through the last thirty odd years.

Poor Doug and his Big Wife both have swords that may be manipulating them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope things work out for small doug and his large wife

but lol, saturnyne's trolling sure deflated all that portentous talk about how doug was certain to die in a sword duel but was determined to go anyway.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

i hope things work out for small doug and his large wife

but lol, saturnyne's trolling sure deflated all that portentous talk about how doug was certain to die in a sword duel but was determined to go anyway.

It is kind of weird how, uh, not actually pivotal at all that plot thread ended up being to the conclusion, given how much time was spent on it. Jubilee ended up having a lot more impact than Doug.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It is kind of weird how, uh, not actually pivotal at all that plot thread ended up being to the conclusion, given how much time was spent on it. Jubilee ended up having a lot more impact than Doug.

If you've been reading Excalibur before the event Tini Howard clearly has way more affection for Jubilee than Hickman has for Doug, and she was co-architect or whatever for the whole thing.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Yeah as someone who gives not the slightest poo poo for Excalibur stuff (don't @ me, there's only so many hours in a day) there seemed to be a few "out of nowhere" bits that were probably less out of nowhere if you'd been reading that. Maybe.
The pacing overall was fuckin' wack, but I don't think it was too rushed at the end. There were basically three issues of End, and one was double-sized. I was thoroughly satisfied by the end result of the Apocalypse/Genesis/Annihilation fight and while the big "and now all the X-Men are here, wooo" and "and now Jubilee and some fairy things are here, wooo" and "and now Cable's sword released a horde of some other guys to fight for us, wooo" moments were all made less relevant by each other, I sure didn't need the battle to take another issue to make them each feel more powerful. If I were the editor I woulda ditched the latter two entirely because Cyclops and Jean showing up with everyone like it's Gamesmaster Anthony's birthday come early this year was earned by the those two being their badass selves telling the Council we're going to do the right thing whether you like it or not.
The whole Invasion > Turned into a Tournament > Blatantly rigged to end in a Tie > Final gently caress You Battle progression ending with "gently caress the rules, invasion anyway" was dumb and semi-invalidated the whole tournament concept, otoh it was hardly surprising and the tournament semi-invalidated itself by not taking itself seriously at all and, like, neither one of those sides was actually going to back down no matter the outcome of the tournament, don't be stupid. And the structure it provided was better and way more fun than 22 issues of A War Happening woulda been.

I guess what I'm saying is Otherworld is a land of contrasts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*from the back of the room* i think there should be more Domino

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alaois posted:

:hmmyes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

Go on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

I mean, if I'm in what's basically a huge gambling competition with very poorly defined rules I'd absolutely want Domino on my team.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I feel like they kept reminding the audience that Shogo's dragonfire destroyed reality and then... uh... that didn't happen, too.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if I'm in what's basically a huge gambling competition with very poorly defined rules I'd absolutely want Domino on my team.

I've been sitting here for awhile wondering what happens if you pit Domino and Isca against each other and it's pretty much the only thing I want to see Isca again for.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Maduo posted:

I've been sitting here for awhile wondering what happens if you pit Domino and Isca against each other and it's pretty much the only thing I want to see Isca again for.

Don't know if you're referencing this or not, but Magik and Cable wondered the same thing at the banquet.

I propose that Marvel get Adam Warren to write (+ draw?) a Domino vs Isca one-shot, since his story about Scarlet Witch and Domino in A+X ruled.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

For those who missed, Domino vs Longshot already happened. They ended up just short circuiting each others powers.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah all this talk about luck and unbeaten, where's my hockey mullet mutant at?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
longshot gets lost a lot, it's nbd.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Isca wins and Domino benefits from it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Adder Moray posted:

Isca wins and Domino benefits from it.

Am I the only one not charmed by Doug and his Large Wife?

It's a great concept, especially the language barrier, but I don't buy the romance. Well ok I buy Doug being hot for Bei, but even by pulp standards I don't buy that Bei has developed any affection/attraction for Doug. Doug is great, but so far all he's done is spout clingy nonsense toward her. I get that her whole deal is that she's Worf levels of honor-bound, but that only explains why she'd put up with the marriage and not why she seems to be as into Doug as he is to her. That's definitely something that would have been a lot more fun to see sprung in the story during the first third and developed in the second. I trust it'll get fleshed out as we go, but so far it's even more of a half-baked fetish than the X-Men usually are.

longshot gets lost a lot, it's nbd.
Are secondary mutations still a thing? They should totally make this his. "Yeah after I use up all my luck I just get... lost. I'm not even sure where I go."

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Am I the only one not charmed by Doug and his Large Wife?

It's a great concept, especially the language barrier, but I don't buy the romance. Well ok I buy Doug being hot for Bei, but even by pulp standards I don't buy that Bei has developed any affection/attraction for Doug. Doug is great, but so far all he's done is spout clingy nonsense toward her. I get that her whole deal is that she's Worf levels of honor-bound, but that only explains why she'd put up with the marriage and not why she seems to be as into Doug as he is to her. That's definitely something that would have been a lot more fun to see sprung in the story during the first third and developed in the second. I trust it'll get fleshed out as we go, but so far it's even more of a half-baked fetish than the X-Men usually are.

Are secondary mutations still a thing? They should totally make this his. "Yeah after I use up all my luck I just get... lost. I'm not even sure where I go."

the end of the last book hints that one of their swords were influencing them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The end of the book hints that both their swords might be influencing them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The worst part about Doug and Large Wife is that everyone was freaking out about Betsy shattering minutes before, but then they're all in attendance for the wedding and behaving themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oh yeah, hes that nightclub owner from Madripor, right? I wonder what he's doing there, are they going to reveal he's a mutant or some evil mastermind?