Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also an entire episode where Jake tries to find a form of pain that Finn doesn't actually enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The variety and unpredictability of Adventure Time was something I really admired about it. It doesn't have a singular vision. Episodes could go in wildly different directions that weren't to my taste, or they could give me something I never would've thought I wanted. Just when I thought I had it figured out it would swerve or turn around completely.

It ended up being a series that never stopped surprising me, and that's a rare and special thing that, in hindsight, I appreciate more than if it had simply been consistent and focused.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I came into adventure time late and I couldn't stand early adventure time, but later adventure time i enjoyed way more

Also, the new special was absolutely fantastic. It's one of the few times I've seen flashbacks play events backwards and actually thought it was a really clever way to present the concept

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Adventure Time had a significant strength in there being something for everyone; I felt it had fewer "good" or "bad" episodes than "episodes that were my style" and ones that were "not my style".

I mean ultimately, my favorite episode ended up being Box Prince which I don't think anyone else particularly even liked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Adventure Time had a significant strength in there being something for everyone; I felt it had fewer "good" or "bad" episodes than "episodes that were my style" and ones that were "not my style".

I mean ultimately, my favorite episode ended up being Box Prince which I don't think anyone else particularly even liked.

wrong, I LOVED box prince.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pick posted:

I liked it overall, though I felt the ending was kinda weak, but then that's the case for a lot of the show's episodes(indeed it was kinda a recurring problem with cartoons in that era, Regular Show also often had problems with weak episode endings)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

my attitude when watching a new adventure time episode was always "whatever this is, it'll be someone trying to do something interesting. it probably won't really work, but it'll be interesting enough to keep me pleasantly occupied for 15 minutes, and there's not a bad chance that everything comes together and the episode absolutely knocks it out of the park"

there's a lot of episodes that i didn't think were really great but after season 3 there aren't very many episodes that i actively disliked, they always seemed to be trying to do something unique or creative so even when it (frequently) didn't quite work out it was still worth watching

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pick posted:

This is a very solid assessment. I loved Box Prince because it was cute nonsense, the reason I started watching the show in the first place. As someone who is terminally averse to ‘twee’ Adventure Time was the only twee content I could ever consume and enjoy

drrockso20 posted:

I liked it overall, though I felt the ending was kinda weak, but then that's the case for a lot of the show's episodes(indeed it was kinda a recurring problem with cartoons in that era, Regular Show also often had problems with weak episode endings)

I really appreciated that sometimes the endings were just single tiny beats indicating that the story was complete. Not everything needs to provide “closure”, and the show really goes out of its way to address that in multiple storylines throughout the series. Sometimes things just end and you never understand why or what happened or what to do with this information, that’s a very strong recursive theme in the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Adventure Time is vaguely twee but more willing to get into genuinely weird and dark poo poo, tweeness is usually despised because it's toothless, self-indulgent and made by and for manchildren (and womanchildren) finding the worst possible ways to express themselves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adventure Time is vaguely twee but more willing to get into genuinely weird and dark poo poo, tweeness is usually despised because it's toothless, self-indulgent and made by and for manchildren (and womanchildren) finding the worst possible ways to express themselves.

But enough about Stephen Universe (:ninja:)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

But enough about Stephen Universe We Bare Bears(:ninja:)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

But enough about Stephen Universe (:ninja:)

Why do you keep using the wrong name?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's just how all of the men named Stephen in my family spell it, it's a Katie//Katy thing, I'm not doing it on purpose

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm still making my way through the new Animaniacs, since I can only do so much at a time. I didn't expect them to get rid of all of the side characters aside from Pinky and the Brain and Ralph. I think the original show had the intent of having a whole original cast like a new Looney Tunes, and they're just leaving it behind. I do like some of the bits where they totally break from the normal show style, but they're hit and miss.

There doesn't seem to be any reference to Yakko, Wakko, and Dot being from the 30s, and the show itself doesn't seem to have the dynamic of the studio trying to lock up the Warners, which is weird, since it's still in the theme song. I guess the idea of wrecking the movie studios probably didn't grab writers' attention as much because Warner Brothers itself as an independent entity is fictional these days, and it's just another victim swallowed up by megacorporations.

It's weird how much the show seems to want to be relevant with current references, seeing as how the original show was so aggressively irrelevant.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm still making my way through the new Animaniacs, since I can only do so much at a time. I didn't expect them to get rid of all of the side characters aside from Pinky and the Brain and Ralph. I think the original show had the intent of having a whole original cast like a new Looney Tunes, and they're just leaving it behind. I do like some of the bits where they totally break from the normal show style, but they're hit and miss.

There doesn't seem to be any reference to Yakko, Wakko, and Dot being from the 30s, and the show itself doesn't seem to have the dynamic of the studio trying to lock up the Warners, which is weird, since it's still in the theme song. I guess the idea of wrecking the movie studios probably didn't grab writers' attention as much because Warner Brothers itself as an independent entity is fictional these days, and it's just another victim swallowed up by megacorporations.

It's weird how much the show seems to want to be relevant with current references, seeing as how the original show was so aggressively irrelevant.

Yeah them mostly dropping the extended cast bugs the poo poo out of me too. Though to the creators credit they actually managed to make Chicken Boo work the one time they used him. If they wanted to make him a recurring villain I'd be all for it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I still hold a candle for the promise of more Stroker and Hoop

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Slappy Squirrel was my favorite segment other than the Warners segments and the Pinky and the Brain segments. I liked the Goodfeathers segments least. The rest range from okay to forgettable to "it was funny the first time, and maybe the first few times, but now it's gotten old", but they worked together better because of the variety

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Watching the Animaniacs reboot. It's fine, but the rap segment was just baffling. Yakko talking about how rap can be more than just "women and aggression"... who wrote this, and for whom?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

I still hold a candle for the promise of more Stroker and Hoop

Stroker and Hoop was amazing. Especially the episode where they revealed that they weren't just re-using a voice and that it was the same guy each time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Watching the Animaniacs reboot. It's fine, but the rap segment was just baffling. Yakko talking about how rap can be more than just "women and aggression"... who wrote this, and for whom?

Sounds like white guys and white guys

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're really just picking up where the old show left off. Past the initial 65 episode order they didn't do a lot with the whole studio premise, and apart from Slappy most of the other characters were dropped or extremely scaled back since they weren't really a hit with the audience.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
White people stop telling black people what to rap about challenge 2020

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

J-Spot posted:

They're really just picking up where the old show left off. Past the initial 65 episode order they didn't do a lot with the whole studio premise, and apart from Slappy most of the other characters were dropped or extremely scaled back since they weren't really a hit with the audience.
Are you telling me those fat hippo tourist characters weren't popular???

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weeeeeeeeelll I’m the space goblin and I’m here to say, that stayin’ in school is A-OK

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but as someone who listens to rap and is black, Rob Paulsen had some decent flow at least for the first few lines of the last part. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiMJqHk1W8

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When your first response to rap is to try to take it down with Shakespeare, it does make you sound about 4 million years old.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

When your first response to rap is to try to take it down with Shakespeare, it does make you sound about 4 million years old.
that also was a regular show plot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

isn't that a show for children? this is the animation for adults thread.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Having watched the first two episodes last night, I don't think kids are the target audience

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I posted about Animaniacs here because this is the last thread what was talking about Animaniacs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still love that Bushworld Adventures is literally just Australian family life.

The manic burnout energy of Australian Rick arguably fits him even better than his usual voice.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 29, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

You can add obama to that list too

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mantis42 posted:

isn't that a show for children? this is the animation for adults thread.

It's difficult to see how any child these days would sit through that rap segment, or the frequent call-outs to how it's a reboot of a show they never watched.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's difficult to see how any child these days would sit through that rap segment, or the frequent call-outs to how it's a reboot of a show they never watched.

To be fair the original show has been on Hulu for like almost five years now so odds are actually decent that kids have watched at least some episodes of the original

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And been just as confused by them and their old-person pop culture references as we were

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah I'd say the new Animaniacs has maybe 6 or 8 minutes of it that sucks and that was part of it.

The manspreading episode was also pretty weak in my opinion but all said I'm not bummed out that I watched it or anything, looking forward to the next season.

I hope that they'll be able to bring back more of the old cast after being glib about them having 2 seasons right off the bat and mentioning that they (the Warmer siblings) sure have been carrying the reboot a lot and there were a lot more characters in the old show right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBV5vYjG94

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: Big Mouth S4, +1 on Future Jay’s Daym Drops beard

E: also I just saw Loving and holy crap I had no idea how much of a self portrait Nick Kroll’s self insert is

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Great North is real talk-y, like Bob's Burgers, but not real funn-y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

The Great North is real talk-y, like Bob's Burgers, but not real funn-y

I think it's been alright so far for a pilot, but my love for the creators of the show and most of the voice cast may be clouding my judgement.