Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay rewatched Two Mrs. Cranes and here's my report.

I couldn't remember this episode at all until Clive showed up then I had a massive flash of realization.

The bad:
1. The actor who plays Clive is loving awful and his accent is stupid and his character basically doesn't exist
2. Horny Niles kinda crossing the line a few times

The good:
1. Constant farcical escalation and nervous tension
2. Marty having lots of fun
3. Definitely a few laugh out loud moments

It's not a bad episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also some real egregious examples of the Magical Sound Deadening Kitchen. That's the thing where people go into Frasier's kitchen and have real loud conversations that other people right outside somehow don't hear.

Does anyone else have any standout examples of the MSDK?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also some real egregious examples of the Magical Sound Deadening Kitchen. That's the thing where people go into Frasier's kitchen and have real loud conversations that other people right outside somehow don't hear.

What, I should give you an example?

It's been a while, but I remember them loudly arguing about how to be Jewish in Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Also pretty much any episode involving a party.

edit:
Speaking of, my low key favorite moment from any of the party episodes is when Frasier says the ice is melting and Marty freaks out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

With notable exception of Niles telling off Mel :haw:

OPERA TIME! OPERA TIME!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Saaaavory laAAAmb tenders!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

....people will go almost anywhere for free food and booze...

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

https://fraszier.tumblr.com/post/40711177366/mushroom-cranedom posted:

Mushroom Cranedom

Frasier and Niles both decide to grow mustaches to spice up their lives, but once they’ve come in, Roz can’t contain her laughter and begins referring to the brothers as “Mario and Luigi”. An attractive new female intern at KACL overhears Frasier being called by his new nickname, and is aroused by how “exotic” he must be. Frasier immediately takes advantage of the misunderstanding, claiming to be half-Italian and inviting the girl over to sample his extensive red wine collection. He soon begins showing up to work wearing mousse, bronzer and silk dress shirts unbuttoned to reveal dyed-black chest hair. When the female employees are all wooed by this and fawning over him, a jealous Bulldog shouts “Oh gimme a break - if he’s half-Italian, then I’m a full-blown goomba!”. Without missing a beat, Frasier leaps six feet into the air and lands squarely on Bulldog’s head, squashing him flat.

Though long since restored to financial supremacy, Niles is still haunted by nightmares of his time at the dingy Shangri-La apartment complex. He eventually hires a mafia-run construction union to illegally tear it down. Watching the demolition begin, he strokes his mustache and recites: “In Xanadu did Koopa Crane a tacky bachelor-dome destroy”.

http://fraszier.tumblr.com/post/47788571924/colonization posted:

Colonization

Frasier claims the act of exercising free will is in itself an ethical triumph; begins defending increasingly deplorable exploits with a righteous “Because I choose to.” Roz goes out with a smart-aleck ventriloquist’s dummy but has no interest in his refined puppeteer; brings Daphne along on their next date to converse with him while she and the dummy make out. Martin and Eddie play fetch in the park; gradually retrieve an entire skeleton. Niles joins a tai chi class; dies.

https://fraszier.tumblr.com/post/36835915437/shellfish-egos posted:

Shellfish Egos

While advising an underconfident caller to seize the day and engage in more “boisterous behaviour”, Frasier accidentally says “oyster-ous behaviour” and immediately becomes the laughing stock of the entire city. As the nautical puns pour in and the lines are flooded with a tidal wave of marine-themed prank calls, an eerily calm Frasier warns Seattle that the sea is no laughing matter, and that continued abuse will not be taken lightly.

When the jeers refuse to let up, he turns the tables by uncharacteristically embracing his new image, changing his name to Frasier Crayfish and accepting a lucrative endorsement deal from a prestigious new seafood restaurant located at the Seattle Marina.

At the glitzy opening night dinner, the Crane family attends in full ball regalia, but when Frasier takes the stage to give the opening address he is drenched from above by a hidden bucket of rotten shrimp and chum. The audience howls with laughter and begins to pelt him with breadsticks, but a livid Frasier simply walks out of the restaurant, down the pier, and slowly strolls directly into the ocean until he is completely submerged. The Coast Guard is alerted and a rescue party deployed, but the body is never found.

One year to the day later, a tsunami engulfs Seattle, completely destroying the Marina and devastating the city. As the camera pans slowly over the wreckage, a man can be heard softly singing Charles Trénet’s “La Mer”. The shot eventually reveals a briny, seaweed-covered Frasier singing it while floating lazily by on a piece of flotsam, still dressed in the tux he wore to the restaurant opening.

The credits scene depicts Martin fishing in the “streets” off the balcony of Frasier’s condo(now surrounded by 40-foot-deep water). Having snagged something big, he begins to holler and frantically try to reel it in with all his might. An excited Daphne comes out to help pull midway through, but the pair are disappointed to discover that Martin’s “catch” is in fact a waterlogged corpse.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh ya i remember those ones

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I have always felt uncharitable toward fanfic that doesn't fully capture the spirit of the source material or actually understand the characters

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Thoughts on the finale? I thought it was good, overall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's OK. It's fun to think Frasier somehow got swept up into an elaborate farce that lead to him assuming the identity of Tom Kane and then watch Boss.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thoughts on the finale? I thought it was good, overall.

It somewhat limped across the finish line, but it did get there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The last season's romance flopping was dumb and proves that Frasier should never date anyone

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's OK. It's fun to think Frasier somehow got swept up into an elaborate farce that lead to him assuming the identity of Tom Kane and then watch Boss.

Tragically cut short

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still say if there's going to be a Frasier crossover it should involve Arkham Asylum.

Probably something about the Joker calling into Frasier's show for laughs, he tries to kidnap him but ends up with Niles, who keeps arguing with Harley Quinn, while an oblivious Frasier has Bruce Wayne cornered at a party, and a worried Marty and Daphne reluctantly call in a favour from estranged relative Jonathan Crane.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Frasier should have married Claire. What a dumbass. At least you get that really good episode with him arguing with imaginary exes in a cabin after he dumps her. Like a dumbass.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still say if there's going to be a Frasier crossover it should involve Arkham Asylum.

Probably something about the Joker calling into Frasier's show for laughs, he tries to kidnap him but ends up with Niles, who keeps arguing with Harley Quinn, while an oblivious Frasier has Bruce Wayne cornered at a party, and a worried Marty and Daphne reluctantly call in a favour from estranged relative Jonathan Crane.

Marty gets shot by the Joker and is disabled... oh wait

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I was thinking about it, and I think Frasier makes me actually laugh out loud more than any show I've seen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Skratte posted:

Frasier should have married Claire. What a dumbass. At least you get that really good episode with him arguing with imaginary exes in a cabin after he dumps her. Like a dumbass.

In the finale Ronee and Frasier should have realized they loved each other and ran off together.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The time when they take Marty to the restaurant with the bull paintings is a particularly good example of them talking loudly about the paintings and nobody nearby noticing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone nearby agrees with them. It's only the owner that they would have had to hide their opinions around.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzVCE7Pz-c

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

In general for the general populace and the Frasier-implied timelines, I have to say that I disagree with the sentiment that the gentlemen should wear white vest and vest shoes before the evening, after all there is 6 PM for a reason. Are they scouting for the ladies of the night, or are they just proposing that their immediate urges are for the improper of nature?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The only Frasier episode I won't defend is the Greeks one, Daphne's room, and the episode where Frasier and Roz have sex. However, I dont watch the holiday episodes outside of the holiday season. Which is the best Thanksgiving and which is the best Christmas episode?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only Frasier episode I won't defend is the Greeks one, Daphne's room, and the episode where Frasier and Roz have sex. However, I dont watch the holiday episodes outside of the holiday season. Which is the best Thanksgiving and which is the best Christmas episode?

A Lilith Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lilith Thanksgiving and A Miracle on Third or Fourth Street. I also really like The Fight Before Christmas, but I'm giving Third and Fourth street the nod because it was in the first season and I think was the first time the show leaned hard into the "Frasier loses faith in humanity and finds it again" which I'm a sucker for.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

https://twitter.com/mcleemz/status/1332778668901412865?s=21

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I like the daphne's room episode. Frasier being all "I'm being very nice" and that bit where they're all in there just going nuts through her stuff for some reason?? those bits make me laugh. That Greeks episode feels so out of place. I won't defend that one.

I almost want to say I don't like the parking garage episode, because I just don't like bottle episodes of tv shows, but it has some great bits, like Niles calling Frasier a dumbass and the pay off at the end.

I just watched the Bar Mitzvah episode and goddamn those photos at the end are just amazing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My current dream is that someday some youtuber does a supercut of all the times people describe Maris' physicality.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Frasier and Niles are basically shonen rivals.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like the Daphne's room episode but I like any episode where Frasier tries to right a wrong by doing the wrong again, eventually.leading to himself and Niles and even Marty all yelling at each other about how unethical they are while doing the worst things they can in the moment

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

My current dream is that someday some youtuber does a supercut of all the times people describe Maris' physicality.

And hires a police sketch artist to give their interpretation.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I like the Greeks episode because Aunt Zora and Cousin Curvy Titty are fyne.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So Roz decides to call in a huge personal favor from a senator just so Frasier and Niles can get into a even more exclusive part of La Porte D’Argent, an idea which she had been making GBS threads all over a minute before

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A good friend will help a friend out with something even if they think the idea is dumb. I think a big part of Frasier and Roz's friendship is that they recognise they're very different people, and respect that.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

poonchasta posted:

I like the Greeks episode because Aunt Zora and Cousin Curvy Titty are fyne.

Seriously. Live a little, Niles.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

oldpainless posted:

So Roz decides to call in a huge personal favor from a senator just so Frasier and Niles can get into a even more exclusive part of La Porte D’Argent, an idea which she had been making GBS threads all over a minute before

Roz is a good friend and it's awesome

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I would happily take Roz as a friend, I can't really think of a downside to being friends with her other than being on the receiving end of some sick burnz and that's only a "downside" it's actually awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean most of the cast has some potential for redemption, until Daphne's family shows up. They should all have been immediately tossed from Frasier's balcony