Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Subversion of audience expectations is not "for the director's sake". That's just how drama works. And it's not like Star Wars has never done the unexpected before. Look at the darling film Empire Strikes Back--the great Jedi master Luke seeks out turns out to be a Muppet. As in Jim Henson himself consulted on construction of that puppet.

"Subverting expectations" has become weird Internet shorthand for "doing something random solely to piss off viewers" but that is 100% not what happens in TLJ.

Finn regressed as a character. Luke being a teacher who was burned out was not some shocking twist, it was obvious when he ran away. For that matter, if he had cut himself off from the force because now when he touched it he was drawn to the dark and he was worried he would fall to the dark side would have been more compelling reason for him to be hiding to die then him just being bitter that he failed his nephew. And you’re mom joke in Star Wars (as well as god speed) was tone wise far worse sins than “they can fly now?! They can fly now!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alan Smithee posted:

Bill Burr talked poo poo about Star Wars and wound up in one

my theory is that once Disney's power consolidation is final and absolute, all of humanity will be made to participate in a star wars, with those harboring negative thought crimes to be made front and center

Disney has already secretly turned the Moon into a Death Star. They're just waiting on the mouse ears to be fabricated in the Asteroid Belt.

My own goofy-fanfic head-canon about Thrawn is that during the time between RotJ and TFA he took over the Imperial Remnent and organized a peace treaty merger with the New Republic. Hardline peaceniks in a couple of system seceded from the newly formed Galactic Union, as did the equally hardline Imperials who formed the First Order. Thrawn was fine with letting both extremists going given that they'd likely kill each and he wanted the GU to be ready for dealing with other dangers.

Still, once Palpatine revealed himself, Thrawn took a trip into New Republic/First Order space to organize the fleet at the end, making sure to let Lando be the face of it.

With Palpatine hopefully gone for good he's back in the GU fighting a much less crappy version of the Vong and other stuff that requires grownups to handle.

Also, Ezra Bridger's Force Academy is doing fine because he employs psychological testing to screen for psychopathic tendencies before accepting a student for training.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Reik posted:

After Elsbeth knocks away one of Ahsoka's lightsabers, Ahsoka switches to her reverse grip Shien style and ends the duel in the next exchange, which leads me to believe Ahsoka wasn't taking it serious at the beginning.

Yeah. She just got done defeating her army. There are a million things she could have done. Used the force to pull the staff from her hands, or pushed her down, sliced her fingers off. And so on.

I think she just wanted to give an honorable duel and defeat her without injury so she could interrogate her.

If Ahsoka wanted to kill Elsbeth, it wouldn't have been much of a fight for a trained, experienced and powerful jedi.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionArcher posted:

It still amazes me that everyone shits on JJ when it’s clearly board executives made it hell for him and other director creators in terms of timelines. Clearly JJ wanted Finn and Ray as a couple maybe, and because China or whatever that idea got scrapped. I’m not saying ROS is some masterpiece, but considering the behind the scenes bullshit I’m actually amazed the movie works as well as it does. And yes, last Jedi had some cool ideas but Johnson took the set up’s from FA and sort of threw them away because he thought the fandom needed to eat some broccoli, with very mixed results. He also treated Finn like garbage. It’s also the only Star Wars movie without a proper light saber duel.
Also, and this is a huge pet peeve, but what the hell was up with the light sabers only being blue and red. Luke’s green should have shown up more than just a loving flash back, and rays at the very end was cool I guess but not used.

I blame bob igar

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I also blame JJ because I’m mad at him for loving with my favorite movie with his dumb ideas

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kanine posted:

If im looking at the right one, I'm actually not super happy with it so I ended up making some changes lol

Nooooooooooo bring back the wire stock!!!! (but I still like that one)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

zoux posted:

I figured we'd get to Ahsoka in the third act after another long quest, but nope! Here she is right now, doing cool stuff.

Yeah, they didn't play coy at all. She just start off with her being a murderous forest ghost on a bunch of guys. poo poo owns.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I blame bob igar

This feels justified.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So is Thrawn in the show now, or was that just a shoutout to the nerds who watch children's cartoons?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kaedric posted:

The show is so western/samurai flick that they even had Ahsoka do the Toshiro Mifune 'tuck your arms inside your robe' iconic thing.

I know it wouldn’t have fit the episode’s tone at all, but I’d have killed to hear Göransson toss a few bars of the big funky Yojimbo theme into the soundtrack.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FogHelmut posted:

So is Thrawn in the show now, or was that just a shoutout to the nerds who watch children's cartoons?

Maybe? The season could easily end on a 'Oh poo poo here's Thrawn" cliffhanger.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FogHelmut posted:

Also to nerds who read books in the 90s

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Was the magistrate in an episode of clone wars? Or was it just an off camera type mention?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LionArcher posted:

This feels justified.

Honestly hearing that he rushed TFA explains everything. Rushing TFA rushes TLJ which rushes DOTF, which causes fights which fires Colin which leads into....rushed ROS

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like how that one dude has an arc that's just kind of understated and off to the side and not made a big deal of from "beaten down old man" to "selflessly helping the vibrocrucified folks when he sees a break to do so" to "oh poo poo he's the respected old mayor and they're giving him his old job back."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kingtheninja posted:

Was the magistrate in an episode of clone wars? Or was it just an off camera type mention?

Short answer no

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Its Rinaldo posted:

Yeah, they didn't play coy at all. She just start off with her being a murderous forest ghost on a bunch of guys. poo poo owns.

The lack of build up to her reveal straight up caught me off guard. I legit yelled something to the effect of "oh my holy gently caress" or something once I saw those white sabers come into frame and continued yelling expletives through that entire opening.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly hearing that he rushed TFA explains everything. Rushing TFA rushes TLJ which rushes DOTF, which causes fights which fires Colin which leads into....rushed ROS

The craziest thing about 9 is they didn't decide Palpatine was going to be the big villain of the trilogy until after they'd made two movies and fired the first director for the third.

Something like who the villain is in a three part trilogy that's going to cost around a billion dollars to make should be decided before the cameras are rolling for the first movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know what they wanted to go for, each director makes their own thing and there’s a larger story, but there was a pretty logical through line with kylo ren.

It really seemed like a perfect progression to make him the main villain but that’s too intense or whatever.

We can’t teach kids that some people are too far gone, not in this wonderful world we live in lmao.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

I know what they wanted to go for, each director makes their own thing and there’s a larger story, but there was a pretty logical through line with kylo ren.

It really seemed like a perfect progression to make him the main villain but that’s too intense or whatever.

We can’t teach kids that some people are too far gone, not in this wonderful world we live in lmao.

TROS committed many sins, but going from Kylo ascending to the throne at the end of TLJ to just having another master at the start of TROS is some loving bullshit. Terrio basically completely undid any growth Kylo achieved in TLJ and just reset him to the angry hooded action figure he was in TFA.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Palpatine redemption when

I honestly haven't watched this series yet, and I had been looking around before starting to watch it because usually if a series is bad there are some hate-watching posts

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

galenanorth posted:

I honestly haven't watched this series yet, and I had been looking around before starting to watch it because usually if a series is bad there are some hate-watching posts

There's one episode I would class as mediocre television but so far this is easily the best Star War in some time

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s some hate around it. Some people just hate Star Wars and that’s fine. Others find it kind of boring.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

LionArcher posted:

Finn regressed as a character.

How? How is continuing directly on from where TFA left him and having him learn and grow for 2.5 hours in any way a regression?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think his character regressed in TFA. He was never going to be a Jedi nor ever weld a lightsaber again.

Such a tease.

Fuckin janitor are you out of your mind mate

Lemon
May 22, 2003

In an episode full of great shots, I think this one got me the most.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Everyone posted:

Meanwhile that bit about memorable first times sounded a little like flirting. Having encountered Din, does Ahsoka want to hit that - and not with a lightsaber?

Given that we know what Pedro Pascal looks like, the answer is obviously "Hells yes!"

Yeah, that part was oddly flirty. I wouldn't mind if they had a thing later on; being a Disney show doesn't mean the leads have to be chaste heroes anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

I think his character regressed in TFA. He was never going to be a Jedi nor ever weld a lightsaber again.

Such a tease.

Yeah, everything TLJ does with Finn grows directly out of where TFA left him. He grew from "deserter who wanted to run and hide" to "I want to protect my new friend Rey", and that's where TFA ends! I keep seeing people complain that TLJ supposedly made him redo what he learned in TFA...when that is demonstrably false.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

galenanorth posted:

LOL didn't they try to do a throughline in the old EU where actually Sheev was aware of the extra-galactic looming threat of the Yhuzon Vong and was playing the long game preparing and helping in a utilitarian sense whip the galaxy into shape; honing them to be ready to fight constant Star Wars?

Was I the only one who caught that the Asohka shot watching the crest leave with the engine light playing off her face felt like an echo of Luke leaving Dagobah for Bespin, only full of hope and joy instead of concern?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Well, I guess the DarkTrooper project has a potential new blood source now, since they've been tracking the Razor Crest.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Madurai posted:

Well, I guess the DarkTrooper project has a potential new blood source now, since they've been tracking the Razor Crest.

I pity the poor motherfucker tasked with trying to retrieve it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Madurai posted:

Oh poo poo Giancarlo is going to track Din to the Jedi planet.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
It kinda annoys me that she refers to him with his title. It feels that Ahsoka wouldn't respect him enough to use it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah, everything TLJ does with Finn grows directly out of where TFA left him. He grew from "deserter who wanted to run and hide" to "I want to protect my new friend Rey", and that's where TFA ends! I keep seeing people complain that TLJ supposedly made him redo what he learned in TFA...when that is demonstrably false.

Except what he does is practically identical to running away and his side adventure achieves absolutely nothing.

Finn's actual arc in TLJ is starting with 'I will do anything to help my friends' and ends with him being thwarted by Rose from achieving anything meaningful in the film and realising 'gently caress it maybe actually instead of fighting we should all just run away'.

If anything he ends up technically reverted all the way back to when we first meet him.

Natroga
Apr 20, 2008

Phylodox posted:

For anyone who watches Dimension 20, my wife pointed out:

- green
- pointy ears
- dad issues
- greatest wizard of our time
- name spelled almost the same

Grogu is Gorgug.

Yeah, I started calling him Gorgug almost immediatly, so much so that I forgot his name is Grogu not Gorgu.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

How? How is continuing directly on from where TFA left him and having him learn and grow for 2.5 hours in any way a regression?

He ended TFA not running but standing down a powerful and terrifying wizard to protect his friend/crush. He wakes up next movie wants to find his friend and when that doesn’t seem possible instantly goes back to running. TLJ ends the second time with him making a stupid suicide play that is in fact dumber than him trying to face off against KR, and is only stopped by the new character slamming into him in a play that looked like it should have killed both of them.

He is rewarded by this by having a character who is not the person he bonded with the entire first movie confess her love for him, because the Chinese market/America share holders are racist and having Finn paired with Ray might hurt the bottom line (it wouldn’t but you know)

In ROS because Shareholders/racism he’s paired with a third woman (because Rose was treated dirty by exes and racists) with a potentially interesting plot than was cut underused.

JB has talked about it a little, and he’s clearly pissed about the whole thing and makes a point to say JJ wanted to do more with him but behind the scenes poo poo was wack. He does not bring up RJ.

Same thing with the force ghosts at the end. Rumors they shot footage with the voices but it got scrapped because China hates ghosts sounds exactly like bs Disney would pull.

Back to mando. Great episode and I want to watch it again tonight and I need the soundtrack to it and all of clone wars rebels like right now.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 27, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Such a tease.

Stormtrooper janitor that becomes a radical revolutionary who spearheads THE stormtrooper uprising would have been cool as hell and a good alternative to Jedi Finn. TLJ laid the foundation for that. Just listen to Finn in TLJ's third act where he inspires the remaining resistance members — that character just straight up disappears in TROS and is replaced with...?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

FogHelmut posted:

If the rumors are true Thrawn will probably not be in this show, and this shout out is kind of a drop for an upcoming show. Spoilers for a RUMORED animated series that may or may not be coming next year: There is a possible Rebels sequel animated series in the works that follows Ezra and Thrawn after they space whale hyperspaced into the unknown regions. Part of the plot would be Ahsoka and Sabine hunting for them, while Ezra and Thrawn deal with their predicament. It sounds really badass so I hope its true. Rebels was firing on all cylinders by the end of the show and a continuation where the little kid main character is already grown up a bit and no longer awkward should cut out a lot of the growing pains a new animated SW series usually has.

LionArcher posted:

He ended TFA not running but standing down a powerful and terrifying wizard to protect his friend/crush. He wakes up next movie wants to find his friend and when that doesn’t seem possible instantly goes back to running. TLJ ends the second time with him making a stupid suicide play that is in fact dumber than him trying to face off against KR, and is only stopped by the new character slamming into him in a play that looked like it should have killed both of them.

Gotta disagree bud, Finn's journey in TLJ is about moving from beyond just fighting for his friends to fighting the First Order itself because the state of the galaxy sucks. Thats why he goes from being a resistance pretender to proud Rebel Scum. Rose stopping him from suiciding is more about reigning in his blood lust and living to fight another day, its not Finn's main arc in the movie. He should have come out of TLJ into the next movie as a full fledged resistance general, someone organizing stormtrooper rebellions and leading armies / being a bamf, its what they set him up for!!!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 27, 2020

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
On watching again, man you can tell immediately when the Magistrate realizes she lost the fight and it's when Ahsoka switches forms and starts to take things seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, just want to appreciate Ahsoka's theme. One of the best themes of the franchise, natch.