Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Too bad there's no aliens mastermind set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

Ohhh right, I forgot ninja run makes DP characters do the full tryhard Naruto run with gunnnzzz. This is Very Important.
Widows with claws too. Actually anything with both hands being equipped I would think.

Coolness Averted posted:

Too bad there's no aliens mastermind set
Not until Homecoming gets the Thunderspy MM pets using costume slots thing. Or something of the sort.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah if we could change robots to aliens, I'd be ecstatic.

I'd love to have a little team of chaotic greys like the protagonist of Kill All Humans.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's appropriate since even like ravagers are just enlarged reskinned MM robots. Those 360 torso rotations don't look healthy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
y'all know that I27 released today right

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
My titan weapons tank feels funny and my ninjutsu blaster feels good

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Flesh Forge posted:

y'all know that I27 released today right

yep! here's patch notes for anyone who missed it:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24367-patch-notes-for-november-24th-2020-issue-27-page-1/

btw trick arrow owns now

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Haven't played with it yet; but Combat Teleport really looks like a waste of a power pick, but I'm going to respec into it on every single character anyway because goddamn does it sound fun.

Need to fit it in on my widow so I can just pop into the middle of a group and scream them to death.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As long as Rooted continues to suck poo poo, Combat Teleport will remain highly relevant to poor, neglected Stone Armor characters.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It gives me more of a reason to actually play my warshade having easy (inherent?) access to at least some of those. I wish there was a convenient list somewhere of human kheldian powers now useable while transformed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dominators still look bad tbh

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I kind of need to go through and respec everyone I had teleport on, and then figure out what the requirements for LRT wound up being

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

please knock Mom! posted:

That's too bad I thought they wound up in a better place after some of the changes (like I said last time I played was before going rogue) did they windup nerfing them? Or just other things got buffed and having the ability to run dominators and controllers side by side highlighted their weakness?
I know they were generally neck and neck with assassins for being in a weak place as far as villain archetypes went.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

That's too bad I thought they wound up in a better place after some of the changes (like I said last time I played was before going rogue) did they windup nerfing them? Or just other things got buffed and having the ability to run dominators and controllers side by side highlighted their weakness?
I know they were generally neck and neck with assassins for being in a weak place as far as villain archetypes went.

Doms are doing just fine. They got a big buff with i14. They have the best controls in the game and do good dps.

Dominators and Blasters share a play style that's different than other classes. The fallacy is thinking that Doms are "Redside Controllers", and/or thinking that they're support toons. They're not. Doms and Blasters are each other's Blue = Red analog(Controllers and Master MInds are Blue = Red analogs).

Some people suck at both because they treat them like support toons. You have to be super aggressive and move around constantly. You have to hit hard up front with everything that you've got. You can't be timid. Also, they require that you, the player, are good with situational awareness.

Always avoid low level immobilizes if you can. They're just aggro magnets.

Stalkers also got a buff near the end, and have pretty much consigned Scrappers to obsolescence.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I think it's mostly just the control sets being kinda irrelevant. Woo loving hoo, I've got an AOE hold on a 4 minute cooldown. Those sets were designed in a very issue 0 world with super long fights in mind, and the game's power crept way far into everyone being invincible DPS machines at the high end so why do I really need to control anything? There's also really little "granularity" in the status effects where they either shut the enemy down 100% (hold, stun, confuse is even better) or are mostly worthless (sleep, placate, intangible.) Immob's primarily convenience or inconvenience in bad hands, and fear is probably the only one with some middle ground to it but also Fearsome Stare is in Dark Miasma too so lol.

The most relevant "control" aspects right now are basically to keep enemies from running away and like, good news, 3/4 melee ATs have taunt auras, the tanks can take AOE immobs, and anyone can pick up Fold Space.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

iirc Scrappers are still King poo poo of Melee DPS Mountain, but Stalkers got a ton more playable now that their entire class mechanic doesn't stop working once the fight begins

control powers are fine. if you actually want Peak Performance you're running a team of 8 fire/fire blasters; if you want to lock some poo poo down, you can still do that

pubby groups are a bit hit or miss, nearly anyone running TFs/SFs will just blitz through whenever possible and expect you to know whether a particular map gets fought through or whether you're just supposed to wait for the team teleport on this map

did a lot of dying on my Dominator earlier today because I kept winding up in fights alone

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Dominators are super powerful loaded with IO sets for permadom but if you aren't at that level they aren't very impressive most of the time.

Regardless of what you do they'll always be fragile and most of the highest damage sets for them use at least a few melee attacks.

LordSaturn posted:

iirc Scrappers are still King poo poo of Melee DPS Mountain, but Stalkers got a ton more playable now that their entire class mechanic doesn't stop working once the fight begins

Scrappers are a bit more durable than stalkers and have better aoe options but Stalkers are definitely king poo poo of single target melee dps.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Scrappers are a bit more durable than stalkers and have better aoe options but Stalkers are definitely king poo poo of single target melee dps.

I think WM and new EM is probably competitive with Stalker pylon times (RIP TW) but the biggest killer for Stalkers to me is not having a taunt aura for regular solo play and just having poo poo scatter. :smith:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

wasn't Tommy's sub-minute pylon time a TW/Bio scrapper?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

wasn't Tommy's sub-minute pylon time a TW/Bio scrapper?

Yeah and TW's been pretty gutted at that really high end. An EM stalker might be able to dip into that sub-1m territory, though.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

there's sub-1m times on an EM/Bio scrapper now too, with people saying stalker should be close but may lag slightly on the pylon because stalkers really want the full saturation on their crit-buff in teams

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

A friend commissioned an art piece with our characters together. That's my character, Hu'Szsersvn, with Clear View, and Citizen Thirteen with the dual pistols.

I'm on the Everlasting server, where all the roleplayers congregate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Control sets being irrelevant because "everyone is an invincible DPS" is the same busted logic as "Force Field sucks because everyone is already soft-capped". Theoretically true within a narrow band of high-performance teams, but not actually applicable the overwhelming majority of the time.

Dominators also got buffs on Homecoming via overhauls to their secondary sets. Domination is still a poorly-designed inherent and Permadom is an unfixable problem, but the AT is otherwise in the best place it's ever been.

LordSaturn posted:

I kind of need to go through and respec everyone I had teleport on, and then figure out what the requirements for LRT wound up being

One exploration accolade to unlock it, any one exploration badge from a given zone to add it to the teleporter. Worth keeping in mind most city zone LRT "exits" are within spitting distance of a transit hub, including a base portal, so you can cover lots of ground with very little investment.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 27, 2020

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Huszsersvn posted:

A friend commissioned an art piece with our characters together. That's my character, Hu'Szsersvn, with Clear View, and Citizen Thirteen with the dual pistols.

oh hey, I remember the bug person from CO Supergoon

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Huszsersvn posted:

this is really cool. i love your character

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Awwww, I love the little hands holding the spare mag.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Control sets being irrelevant because "everyone is an invincible DPS" is the same busted logic as "Force Field sucks because everyone is already soft-capped". Theoretically true within a narrow band of high-performance teams, but not actually applicable the overwhelming majority of the time.

It's definitely a major contribution. Or you can just look at what I mentioned re: so many status effects being all or nothing and muddying the entire design space of control powers, like Blasters doing 90% of the control gimmick pre-this patch with a single 90 second AOE hold that you could proc into mag 5. The insane power creep from incarnates also means Destiny and Alpha round out builds to the point where there typically aren't tremendous gaps in defenses that you need control powers for, and that's true for everyone at max level and not "just" the people who are building for softcapped defenses already.

It's funny to bring up Force Field too because it's not really that it sucks because it boosts defense: Cold boosts defenses as well, and is widely considered one of the best support/debuff sets in the game. FF sucks because loving 5 of its powers are devoted to: a "be invulnerable and don't play the game" button, 2 lackluster attacks, and 2 repel powers. Cold only "gives up" 2-3 powers for a rough equivalent of FF's entire gimmick and still lets you be a great debuffer.

Huszsersvn posted:

also this rules a whole lot. :unsmith:

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 28, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I think it's mostly just the control sets being kinda irrelevant. Woo loving hoo, I've got an AOE hold on a 4 minute cooldown. Those sets were designed in a very issue 0 world with super long fights in mind, and the game's power crept way far into everyone being invincible DPS machines at the high end so why do I really need to control anything? There's also really little "granularity" in the status effects where they either shut the enemy down 100% (hold, stun, confuse is even better) or are mostly worthless (sleep, placate, intangible.) Immob's primarily convenience or inconvenience in bad hands, and fear is probably the only one with some middle ground to it but also Fearsome Stare is in Dark Miasma too so lol.

The most relevant "control" aspects right now are basically to keep enemies from running away and like, good news, 3/4 melee ATs have taunt auras, the tanks can take AOE immobs, and anyone can pick up Fold Space.

It's a silly, reductionist argument. Why even bother playing anything other than a handful of top-tier dps sets in that case? Form what I hear, MMs are hugely handicapped in Incarnate content, but that's not the classes fault unto itself. Incarnate Powers outright broke the game.

Again, the mistake is thinking Doms are Controllers. They're not. They're Redside's Blasters. Roll Plant/, Mind/, or Earth paired with /Fire, /Psi, or /Earth.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Brave New World posted:

It's a silly, reductionist argument. Why even bother playing anything other than a handful of top-tier dps sets in that case? Form what I hear, MMs are hugely handicapped in Incarnate content, but that's not the classes fault unto itself.

Again, the mistake is thinking Doms are Controllers. They're not. They're Redside's Blasters. Roll Plant/, Mind/, or Earth paired with /Fire, /Psi, or /Earth.

I'm surprised I don't see more /earth doms, between the two AoE attacks, damage aura, and 3 high damage STs it looks on paper like it should be fun as a niche blapper dom thing. I've tried it a little with ice just so I can turn on arctic air and jump in a mob and start whacking and it worked pretty well, but I got to maybe upper 20s before getting distracted with other projects.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Brave New World posted:

It's a silly, reductionist argument. Why even bother playing anything other than a handful of top-tier dps sets in that case? Form what I hear, MMs are hugely handicapped in Incarnate content, but that's not the classes fault unto itself. Incarnate Powers outright broke the game.

Saying "they're blasters, they do damage" isn't a great defense of the control sets or CC mechanics in general. I've played Plant/Martial and a Dark/Dark controller to 50 and the majority of my focus playing them is on the secondary sets. And sure, you can play whatever you want and do fine and that's okay. I used to main MA/SR and had fun. I had a cool rear end kungfu robot and that poo poo ruled, but I'm not gonna pretend either powerset is Actually Really Good. Like ditto for tanks, I played them pre-buff because I had fun with them but I'm also not gonna sit here and go "actually tanks were totally fine with how they sat in the metagame and didn't deserve the damage/aoe buffs to set them apart from brutes who were better in practically every way."

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It doesn’t help that dominator power set balance is a bad joke.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Saying "they're blasters, they do damage" isn't a great defense of the control sets or CC mechanics in general. I've played Plant/Martial and a Dark/Dark controller to 50 and the majority of my focus playing them is on the secondary sets. And sure, you can play whatever you want and do fine and that's okay. I used to main MA/SR and had fun. I had a cool rear end kungfu robot and that poo poo ruled, but I'm not gonna pretend either powerset is Actually Really Good. Like ditto for tanks, I played them pre-buff because I had fun with them but I'm also not gonna sit here and go "actually tanks were totally fine with how they sat in the metagame and didn't deserve the damage/aoe buffs to set them apart from brutes who were better in practically every way."

Read the last dozen posts. Someone asked if Dominators suck, not if controls suck. I get your argument about controls(I disagree with some of it), some types of control *are* largely irrelevant. But that wasn't the question to begin with.

Maybe Homecoming should do a CC power pass next!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
I just...

I just want Synergist. A HC regular made the class. It's on Ourodev. Just add it, lads. It's good from my playtime on Cake Evolution :(

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

oh right, THAT was the other new AT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/hwcccn/the_synergist_a_new_custom_archetype_is_available/

seems deece! I'd still like to see an AT with a melee set paired with something besides Armor, but this incorporates a lot of the ideas I had for a melee-support AT

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
That and customisable Mastermind pets would have me remake my current multi-man character concept in a heartbeat.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

LordSaturn posted:

oh right, THAT was the other new AT: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/hwcccn/the_synergist_a_new_custom_archetype_is_available/

seems deece! I'd still like to see an AT with a melee set paired with something besides Armor, but this incorporates a lot of the ideas I had for a melee-support AT

This looks really good and cool, too bad HC isn’t super gung ho about adding new classes ime.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dinictus posted:

That and customisable Mastermind pets would have me remake my current multi-man character concept in a heartbeat.

they DID add the ability to make Phantom Army be clones of you, fwiw

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Huszsersvn posted:

This is fantastic.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Huszsersvn posted:

How did it slip by me that you're a goon. Or maybe I knew back during Champions and forgot. I played Sevdi Sevim in CO, who became Dulcet on Everlasting.

The art's way cool, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

This looks really good and cool, too bad HC isn’t super gung ho about adding new classes ime.

They seem whatever the opposite of gungho is about supporting anything that hasn't been directly made by them tbh.