Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

My periods stopped December 2016 and by 2019 some of the effects from peri/menopause were so bad I had to start Paxil. Things that helped:
10mg paxil - did not want but hot flashes at night were disruptive and cognition fog was bad bad bad. Paxikl cleared that up in two days and now I cling to my little bottle of pills.
Black currant oil
Extra calcium
Extra vitamin d
Extra b6

Don't start taking supplements without verifying their interaction with any of your current medications. I was initially told to try evening primrose oil and had the sense to ask if it would interact with my other drugs and it turns out the stuff joins forces with methotrexate to ravage your liver.
ALWAYS ASK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I do know my iron is in the toilet so there’s that!

Intentional joke? :buddy:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't mean I was wearing pads and a cup all the time, or that it actually did leak, it was probably only like two or three times the whole time that I thought it was sealed but it wasn't. I would just get a little paranoid about it sometimes and wear a pad as well. Anyway I haven't done that in many many years now.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Double post i guess but oh my god I am being punished for my hubris, for the first time in many years my period has arrived with barely any warning and for some reason I don't have a cup in the bag I take to work (i'm so used to just putting it in at home as soon as I feel like it might start soon!) so I am using the one emergency pad that I keep in my bag in case anyone needs one. I feel like I'm 15 again, this is terrible how did I live like this, I don't even remember if I'm going to need to change it before the end of the workday or if I'm good, aaaaaaaah.

Also i was thinking about it and yeah I guess SA is not the best target audience for cup evangelism, when I was learning to make it work when I was like 21 the logic was I was going to get 20+ years of convenience out of it. The maths gets a bit worse when we are all like in our mid-30s.

ETA: I take back everything I've said about cups requiring you to be more comfortable with period stuff than pads, with my cup I just put it in and then don't think about my period at all for the rest of the day, instead of having to deal with blood every time i go to the toilet.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 24, 2020

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Mixed feelings about this round of bleeding. It's always thrilling to not be pregnant. But I may have been exposed to someone with COVID so these rowdy period shits just make me extra nervous

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Mods please change my name to rowdy period shits

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Someone has left their screwdriver lodged in my cervix. How silly of them!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Happy Landfill posted:

Mods please change Happy Landfill's name to rowdy period shits

e:

don longjohns posted:

Someone has left their screwdriver lodged in my cervix. How silly of them!

Who's your gyno, Ron Swanson?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/Period_Poverty/status/1331134811365367813

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Bled on my new white pants. It was watery start-of-period blood so the stain went right up my buttcrack and is kinda orange so it looks like I shat myself. :waycool:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Holy gently caress I was just trying to make spanikopita for Thanksgiving and got hit with a mack truck of post-miscarriage period agony. The Ob-gyn warned me, but I was still unprepared. Thankfully I was wearing my ugliest pants.

On the plus side this means my hormones are regulating so I can try to have a kid again soon. On the downside I'm gonna miss Thanksgiving cause I can barely move.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Holy gently caress I was just trying to make spanikopita for Thanksgiving and got hit with a mack truck of post-miscarriage period agony. The Ob-gyn warned me, but I was still unprepared. Thankfully I was wearing my ugliest pants.

On the plus side this means my hormones are regulating so I can try to have a kid again soon. On the downside I'm gonna miss Thanksgiving cause I can barely move.

Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I hope your next attempt goes smooth from sperm to c section.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I’m on day 4 right now, and this is sure a weird one. No cramps to speak of beyond a single twinge on day 1, no mood swings, but it’s truly like the shining down there. I usually just buy full packs of regulars, but this month I accidentally bought a mixed pack and HOO BOY have I needed them. Yesterday was three supers in 12 hours, despite never before having needed more than 4 regulars in the same time frame.
Although last night I was watching bob’s burgers with the husband (we went through all the thanksgiving episodes!) and a commercial came on that made me cry last week, but this time it left me cold. Realized the connection and audibly said “ohhhh, yeah that makes sense” and he immediately knew what I meant, even though our work schedules have been so heavy this week that I hadn’t even told him about it yet. Honestly I should just put him on permanent Period Watch, I’m poo poo at tracking myself. (Yes I’ve tried the various apps, but my wicked strong add sabotages both using the app and recognizing the symptoms on my own)

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

I've also been light on the mood swings and cramps so far, but it's just day one here. What sucks is that the washable pads I use are so thick they get wedged up in my labia when I ride a bike which is a problem cause I use a bike to haul my and my son's rear end everywhere.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chernobyl Princess posted:

poo poo, sorry that you are having a bad time, heres hoping you've a better experience next time <3

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m just starting PMS week and I’m literally comprised of farts rn. I feel like I’m this amorphous gaseous being propelled forward by these accursed farts.

At least I got a big heating pad for when the cramps kick in. If you think you’ll never need a heating pad for something you will, trust me.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I just had random gut pain, followed by a tinge of blood on the toilet paper. If this is my period, it's a tiny bit early, but it's weird that it would manifest like someone just randomly punched me in the gut out of nowhere and this tiny little drizzle would come out. Ugh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think something might have just exploded in there. No more blood whatsoever. :ohdear:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Bled on my new white pants. It was watery start-of-period blood so the stain went right up my buttcrack and is kinda orange so it looks like I shat myself. :waycool:

Very Presidential.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Anyone on the non hormonal copper iud?

I am having a hard time with moods since going back on hormonal contraception after kids. I want something that I don’t have to take every day and we’re waiting a little before getting my husband a vasectomy in case we change our mind hahahahahaha yeah right.

Currently on implanon (nexplanon clone?), but did mirena between babies and also had issues. Don’t want to take a combination pill as we have a strong family history of breast cancer.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

femcastra posted:

Anyone on the non hormonal copper iud?

I am having a hard time with moods since going back on hormonal contraception after kids. I want something that I don’t have to take every day and we’re waiting a little before getting my husband a vasectomy in case we change our mind hahahahahaha yeah right.

Currently on implanon (nexplanon clone?), but did mirena between babies and also had issues. Don’t want to take a combination pill as we have a strong family history of breast cancer.

I have one! I love it. I mostly can’t believe how long lasting it is, I got it in 2014 and still have another 6 years left on it (I think it’s officially a 10-year device, but PP said 12 was still very safe). It did make my periods a lot heavier, but mine were pretty light to begin with so YMMV there. From what I can tell, the strings that stick out just below the cervix are pretty rigid, so during the time of my cycle when the cervix is dropped my male partners have been poked in the dick. That’s only happened like twice in six years though, so not a real complaint.
When I was on hormonal bc, I remember my mood was always just kind of...gray and blah. Now I can feel all the feelings, but that includes my hormonal cycle feelings, so again, YMMV. Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Implanon and Nexplanon are identical; the only difference is that Nexplanon will show up on an x-ray. That's it

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I had a copper iud for nine years and I loved it. Seconding that it made my periods heavier but they weren't bad to begin with so it was fine for me. As far as I can recall I never had a partner complain about the string poking him in the dick.

Only got it out last year because we're trying for kids, but I'll almost certainly get another once that's not an issue anymore.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have an embarrassing question to ask as a middle-aged man.
Not really sure how to preface this. I've been through and experienced pretty much everything in this thread with one partner or another and nothing phases me. I think it's all 'great'. Whatever.
Wife get's super horned up about 4 days past her doing her deal. Then cools off a little.
I'm embarrassed to ask, but do you notice a 'window' where you're like "okie dokie" and want a good roll in the hay?
As a guy I don't get these other than a 'yes/no' type of moment, but as the years roll on it's just a trend I see.

P.S. I've had SEX

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

I had a copper iud for nine years and I loved it. Seconding that it made my periods heavier but they weren't bad to begin with so it was fine for me. As far as I can recall I never had a partner complain about the string poking him in the dick.

Same, I just recently got mine out but I was happy with it while I had it. I also chose it because I didn't like how hormones made me feel. But yeah your periods do get heavier.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Big Beef City posted:

Wife get's super horned up about 4 days past her doing her deal. Then cools off a little.
I'm embarrassed to ask, but do you notice a 'window' where you're like "okie dokie" and want a good roll in the hay?

I get super horned up right after, mostly because going a week without sex or :shlick: is torture (not as torturous as period sex though), so sex or :shlick: is like a celebration of the end of it.

I hope this answers your question.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Way back before I was on hormonal birth control I'd get like that around ovulation-- boys were just suddenly waaaaay more attractive and kissable and then I'd feel the mittelschmerz and all the pieces would fall into place.

Nowadays that's what happens when I start my next pack of pills. Maybe some kind of hormone rush?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Big Beef City posted:

Not really sure how to preface this. I've been through and experienced pretty much everything in this thread with one partner or another and nothing phases me. I think it's all 'great'. Whatever.
As a guy I don't get these other than a 'yes/no' type of moment, but as the years roll on it's just a trend I see.

P.S. I've had SEX

Yup, totally happens to me sometimes.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Yep this happens to me around ovulation as well!

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

P.S. I've had SEX

A woman ovulates about two weeks after the beginning of her period, although everyone is different to varying degrees. For me this means I get horny about a week or so after my period ends cause you get horny when you ovulate. Four days after the end of the period is within the window for fertility if she's on a schedule similar to mine (which is a pretty normal non-irregular cycle) because sperms can hang around for a few days and wait for an egg to get released, and this what the body is releasing the horny chemicals for.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HEY!

You're all wonderful.

Thanks for the kind and honest responses.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

HEY!

You're all wonderful.

Thanks for the kind and honest responses.

It's a good thread. :hai:

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
At the suggestion of the thread I installed the Clue app, because I don’t have a ready way of tracking the red tide (not on BC because it fucks with my other meds. And lol I’m asexual so I don’t need it for contraceptives).

Guess what started the DAY I installed the app. I’m sorry, nature, I didn’t mean to antagonize you. :(

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm waiting on Covid test results, because vomiting is a symptom of both Covid and PMS, but no one wants to believe it's just PMS. (Better safe than sorry, and at least my job is paying for it because I'm supposed to start working as a contact-tracer tomorrow.)

Edit: The test was negative, so it's just my uterus and hormones trying to kill me.

Haulin Oates fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 30, 2020

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Much appreciated all the advice on the copper iud. Will give this implanon another month and if it’s unbearable still, will look at the iud as my next step.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Is it possible for period blood to get stuck in your body?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

Have you tried hocking it out like a loogie, but with your vagina?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Who What Now posted:

Have you tried hocking it out like a loogie, but with your vagina?

This would be gross, but kind of awesome.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

YeahTubaMike posted:

I swear this happens to my wife. Like, she'll have finished bleeding for the month then the next time we have sex I...uh...knock some stuff loose????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

I swear this happens to my wife. Like, she'll have finished bleeding for the month then the next time we have sex I...uh...knock some stuff loose????

I'm sure this is not literally accurate but I always thought it was sorta like: if you fill a balloon with paint and don't tie it off and then turn it upside down, most of the paint will come pouring out right away, but the last little bit has to be squeezed out. And even once you've squeezed it, well, if you stick your finger in there...