Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Johnny Truant posted:

You can definitely listen to things after closing a YouTube video, unless it's different for these curated things? It's a dumb process: get the video to overlay your screen, close it, pull down notifications tab, play through there.

I've stuck with YTM so far and it's adequate for me, but I also have had 0 music of my own to upload, which I've read it is just rear end at.

You have to pay for a subscription to listen to music while doing anything else. It's stupid for a music player. You can't get an overlay, even.

*this does not apply to playing songs that you uploaded yourself, but you still need to pay for a subscription to use Android Auto (:wtf:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uthor posted:

You have to pay for a subscription to listen to music while doing anything else. It's stupid for a music player. You can't get an overlay, even.

*this does not apply to playing songs that you uploaded yourself, but you still need to pay for a subscription to use Android Auto (:wtf:).

Oh yeah that's real dumb. I will say they improved YTM a fuckton, but it's still just a very mediocre UI.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh yeah that's real dumb. I will say they improved YTM a fuckton, but it's still just a very mediocre UI.

I still can't get over that it pauses to refresh when scrolling at all, much less after every ~1.5 screens. It takes forever to scroll to the end of my artists list. I haven't experienced caching when playing music in years.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My only real complaint about YouTube music is that it's not very aggressive about inserting music it thinks I might like into my playlists that it generates. I am just listening to the same songs over and over again which gets pretty dull.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Nitrousoxide posted:

My only real complaint about YouTube music is that it's not very aggressive about inserting music it thinks I might like into my playlists that it generates. I am just listening to the same songs over and over again which gets pretty dull.
Thumbs up or down one or 2 in "discover" once or twice a month helps.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Finally updating my Pixel 2 since it's started to randomly turn off for no reason. The 4a 5g is on sale for $350 so it made sense to grab it over any of the other pixel phones. I think it's at $300 for new customers.

calbruc
Nov 15, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I did the exact same upgrade, but using the Google store to get a $235 trade in value on my Pixel 2 for the 4a 5g.

https://9to5google.com/2020/11/27/pixel-4a-5g-trade-in/

Seemed a better, known deal than the subscription model for the 4a. Not knowing what the "upgrade in two years" details put me off that. A known quantity of $235 off a $500 right here and now is my preference.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I always struggle this time of year. My Pixel 3 is doing just fine but the deals always make me consider upgrading. At least this time, it's not a deal on the flagship, so I'll probably wait on the 6.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I went ahead and did the 4a subscription plan - continuing in 2 years seems optional (especially since Google is more likely to kill the program than not).

OTOH, it could be good for my household - hopefully the 4a ages gracefully and my spouse can use it when the program turns over.

$235 credit for the Pixel 2 is pretty good poo poo, though, I'd probably have taken that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the Pixel 4a 5G today and it's interesting that despite being about the same screen size as the Nexus 6, it's smaller. Most of that is due to the bezel being almost nonexistant, but also it's 2340x1080 vs. 2560x1440 from the Nexus 6. They're about the same height but the Pixel 4a 5G is like 2 3/4" across vs. a little over 3" for the Nexus 6. I think that will make it easier to get into and out of a pocket, but it won't have the same native resolution as the 27" monitor on my PC. Sacrifices must be made, I guess.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just got mine today and I'm also kinda surprised by the size and aspect ratio. I've still got a case coming in, but it's pretty interesting.

Got shipped with a bum SIM card, though. I'm pretty sure every time I change phones I have to order a new one.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got the Spigen tough armor case which came in today, and while it does bulk it up a little the phone is still just a little wider than the Pixel 1, just tall! So far it's working well, and the weird bug with the Pebble Time smart watch eating its battery with the Pixel 1 (post android 9) doesn't happen when it's synced to the 4a 5G. Guess I'll just use this watch forever.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

I just got mine today and I'm also kinda surprised by the size and aspect ratio. I've still got a case coming in, but it's pretty interesting.

Got shipped with a bum SIM card, though. I'm pretty sure every time I change phones I have to order a new one.

You might be able to do a digital sim card. I know I had the option on the regular pixel 4 but I'm not sure if the 4a does.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

You might be able to do a digital sim card. I know I had the option on the regular pixel 4 but I'm not sure if the 4a does.

The 4a says it has eSIM. And the SIM from the old phone should work just fine too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh I did not know about that and it's working great now!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Typically when I'm home I put my phone into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. Lately, my phone hasn't been ringing when people call me, and I can confirm WiFi Calling is enabled. When I try to make a call, I get a message saying "turn off Airplane Mode to make a call"

Annoying because this has worked most of the time, and when it hasn't worked it has eventually started working again at some point.

Is wait for another update to fix this all I can do? Or is there any other insight into this?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I have a Pixel 3a now thats in great condition, will I notice any kind of benefit from grabbing a 4a 5G? They are on sale for $349 for existing customers which is a great deal.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

When I try to make a call, I get a message saying "turn off Airplane Mode to make a call"
Airplane disables cellular and wifi, you can choose to disable one or the other, but airplane disables both.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"I put my phone into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi."

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"I put my phone into airplane mode, then turn on WiFi."
Airplane mode should override any WiFi settings and turn it off.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BrownieVK posted:

I have a Pixel 3a now thats in great condition, will I notice any kind of benefit from grabbing a 4a 5G? They are on sale for $349 for existing customers which is a great deal.

It's got a slightly newer CPU and 2GB more RAM but I don't know if it's something you'd notice day to day. It's a 6.2" phone though so it's bigger. If that's appealing it might be worth it but otherwise I'd probably wait for the 6a if there is such a thing (which is about when your phone will stop getting android updates, after three years). 5G is pretty much a gimmick unless you're near enough to use it, and then you could blow through your data cap in minutes.

3a specs:
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_3a_specs

4a 5G specs:
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a_5g_specs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Seeing people post mobile 5G speed test results and just thinking "that would cost me $6 run on my Google Fi plan" lol.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hirayuki posted:

I think you're missing order of operations - if the user put the phone in airplane mode and THEN turned on WiFi then cellular service should be off, and WiFi should be on, right?

Unfortunately I don't know what's wrong, but the steps sound right to me!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

.....and they you turn it back on. It works fine. I guess you've never done this before. Baffling how confused people are getting over this simple statement.

I've run into the same problems with wifi calling. The fix USED to be to use the hangouts dialer, at least for outbound. But it always came back to changing location and/or waiting for yet another update. It's never consistently worked for me when I was traveling internationally.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hirayuki posted:

No. That's not true. Once I put my phone into airplane mode, I manually turn on WiFi and all my web-connected apps work just fine. WiFi Calling used to work just fine too, but has recently stopped working.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm guessing maybe it's just a carrier thing. Depending on which carrier you happen to be connected to, some will allow call initiation via wifi and some don't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

I'm guessing maybe it's just a carrier thing. Depending on which carrier you happen to be connected to, some will allow call initiation via wifi and some don't.

Not to state the obvious, but the carrier we discuss in this thread is Google Fi.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Uhh Google Fi isn't an actual carrier. It's an MVNO that connects you to other providers' cell towers. Depending on your location that could be T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

American McGay posted:

Uhh Google Fi isn't an actual carrier. It's an MVNO that connects you to other providers' cell towers. Depending on your location that could be T-Mobile, Sprint, or US Cellular.

MVNOs are carriers. And what do you think one of their underlying network provider's towers - which by definition you are not attached to in this situation - has to do with wifi calling?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I want a larger phone or not. I used to have a Pixel 2XL that poo poo the bed and I'm loving the smaller phone size of the 3a. In addition am I an idiot for having unlimited data on Fi with three lines? Lol?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So what ultimately fixed my issue with WiFi Calling, at the suggestion of Fi support, was to reboot my phone into Safe Mode. WiFi Calling then started to work. The tech believed it may be a recently installed app causing the issue.

I updated a bunch of apps while in Safe Mode, then reverted to normal mode and tested. Seems to be working now, so either a quick trip to Safe Mode did the trick, or an update to an app.

EDIT: Never mind, it stopped working again. Right after Messages updated.

EDIT 2: Working again after a Safe Mode boot and reverting to normal again.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 4, 2020

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Wifi-calling in google-fi is not native wifi-calling as if you were a tmobile or verizon customer, it's a weird voip ims hack that shows as wi-fi calling to the user.
(if you go to the info menu on android you will notice it is not provisioned for wifi calling) which explains why there is no wifi calling on iphone.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Seems hacky all right. It's not working again this morning after I got it working again last night. Given that it starts working in Safe Mode, then works briefly after reverting to normal mode, it does sound potentially like an app interfering - just not sure if it's a native Google/Android/Moto app or a 3rd party one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Seems hacky all right. It's not working again this morning after I got it working again last night. Given that it starts working in Safe Mode, then works briefly after reverting to normal mode, it does sound potentially like an app interfering - just not sure if it's a native Google/Android/Moto app or a 3rd party one.

It has to be hacky/a one off due to the nature of google fi using multiple underlying carriers. Once you get into multi-IMSI sim cards things get weird (I was dealing with this for another carrier recently).

I have to admit, when you posted this I laughed. Out loud, for real:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

EDIT: Never mind, it stopped working again. Right after Messages updated.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone else have all of your notification noises just reset to default? Cause I did and I'm really loving pissed about it!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Probably similar Google fuckery to whatever kept turning off my Assistant's personal results for months on end.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Welp, the WiFi Calling culprit seems to be the VPN by Google One.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure I bricked my pixel 1 by dropping it. I've gotten a black screen and the buttons/fingerlock are non-responsive. I've tried to do restarts, hard restarts, get into the boot menu, etc., but it's just a black screen. No vibrations, noises, or flashing lights or whatever. I wanna say I had 40~50% charge so the battery wasn't dead.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get data/photos off of a pixel that won't turn on? Is that something a repair shop would even do? I was going to upgrade anyways and I'd like to try and get my stuff off of it before I try trading it in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frogge posted:

I'm pretty sure I bricked my pixel 1 by dropping it. I've gotten a black screen and the buttons/fingerlock are non-responsive. I've tried to do restarts, hard restarts, get into the boot menu, etc., but it's just a black screen. No vibrations, noises, or flashing lights or whatever. I wanna say I had 40~50% charge so the battery wasn't dead.

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get data/photos off of a pixel that won't turn on? Is that something a repair shop would even do? I was going to upgrade anyways and I'd like to try and get my stuff off of it before I try trading it in.

First I'd check what's already backed up on google drive/google photos from a computer so you can be sure you need it. As for recovering the phone, it probably depends what's broken. I took mine apart to replace the battery and managed to crack the screen behind the glass (they mean it when they say don't go more than .5mm in on each edge to cut the glue). I replaced the battery and then the broken screen and still managed to damage one of the microphones somehow so I had to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset for a few months. If you damaged the mainboard all of your data is stored on the flash memory on it and it's probably encrypted. If you broke something else then it could be possible to replace it. One idea is a USB-C dock hooked up to a monitor so you get some kind of display but if there's something broken on the mainboard or the connector to the daughterboard then it might not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I hadn't backed anything up in awhile so I'm going to cross my fingers and try a hdmi/usb-c dock while I await the replacement. Thanks for the info!