Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ApplesandOranges posted:

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with shooters (and honestly if it's too jerkycam or aim dependent they might put me off), so I imagine I'd have to be sold on the cast and storylines. A good worldbuilding can overcome a lot but if the gameplay is too much of a slog I could just read a synopsis or something.

Or to put it in DA terms, I couldn't play Origins now because despite there being a lot of significant lore and some decent customization, the gameplay is too slow and cumbersome. DA2 I'm a bit better on despite the lackluster third act, because the cast sells it for me and the tactics/AI are probably the best of the three games. Inquisition was okay but it was way too open-ended and long.

A tight streamlined story, with enough deviation to explore side characters if I want to is fine, as long as I can handle the gameplay.

Honestly I've heard good things about ME2 which is why I was gonna grab it on the way to ME3, it's just a matter of 'do I really need the lorebuilding from playing ME1'.
Everything but the story and characters is rear end in ME1. Combat is godawful, it's ugly (unless you install a texture pack, but then you just get to look at the same prefab 100 times in higher resolution), and the leveling system is poo poo. I LP'd the entire trilogy, normally I don't plug my own stuff but I cut out the dumb timewaster crap in 1 so watching the whole game will take about 12 hours. It's here on the LP Archive if you'd rather just see the meat and bones. Once you've played through the other two you might like it enough to go back and play 1 with your own decisions but even then I recommend hacking the poo poo out of it so you can just enjoy the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
DAO starting off lower fantasy, gritty and the setting pulling back more curtains to reveal ancient evils and massively powerful lost magics is to be expected along the core series development arc.

The writers have a big challenge on their hands to keep things true to DA's established tone and people who deeply give a poo poo just have to look at Patrick Weeke's other works to see if they should have confidence in that.

imo, DA4 may see a slight bump of that comic book intensity as we're looking at Tevinter, with a big bang finale and Scouring of the Shire-esque epilogue showing how the gritty little people you first met in DAO are not coping with the hellworld let loose.

The DA series has such ASOIAF influences that we all must hope that we get the GRRM version of the ending of the overall world arc, rather than any HBO ending.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'd recommend playin ME1 on the lowest difficulty only doing main quest and maybe some talkies on the Citadel.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's the franchise starter, you really need to play it through with some degree of interest if you are looking at the sequels. Literally the entire point since day 1 was the idea of this epic space opera where choice mattered from minute 1 game 1 all the way to the planned end of the trilogy. The reality of how it shook out isn't as important as the feeling you get from seeing things carry through games.

That said, it's best played nowadays with infinite credits to avoid all the bad RPG mechanics they stuck with and poo poo rear end inventory system. It's more a game of adventure and discovery, not enjoyed for difficultly in combat.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I decided to do another run of DA:O, now as a sword & board dex tank(assuming that's possible). Do I go light or medium armor, and how much do I want to invest into things like constitution and willpower? Also, which armor set do I want to go for? Wade's superior light/medium?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Dance Officer posted:

I decided to do another run of DA:O, now as a sword & board dex tank(assuming that's possible). Do I go light or medium armor, and how much do I want to invest into things like constitution and willpower? Also, which armor set do I want to go for? Wade's superior light/medium?

Armor choice doesn’t really matter. If anything, focus on items & skills that give defense, since past 140 or so you can be only hit by special attacks.

Stats wise, just get enough STR to wield your preferred armor and put rest to DEX. Use a dagger as a weapon, obviously.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
You should play ME1 so you form an attachment to the characters

ME2/3 don’t hit as hard otherwise

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pattonesque posted:

You should play ME1 so you form an attachment to the characters

ME2/3 don’t hit as hard otherwise

Pretty much.

But that having been said, ME1 has aged like poo poo gameplay wise.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty much.

But that having been said, ME1 has aged like poo poo gameplay wise.

Yeah I really hope for the remaster they unfuck it a bit

Like it was cool to be able to snipe enemies from a mile away in ME1 but everything else in 2/3 is better

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

me1 had the jankiest physics and when you get singularity it turns the game into goofy mode

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I still remember the days when Benezia was the most dangerous boss in the whole game because there was at least a 10% chance that one of her Asari commandos would bumrush you in the first five seconds of the fight and fling you right over the railing of the arena like a ragdoll. :ohdear:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lt. Danger posted:

ME2 is the best. it has style and substance - cinematic, thoughtful storytelling and a rock-solid shooter with an impactful powers/defences mechanic

ME1 is all style, and that style is mostly boring dry nerd textbook. the gameplay is getting enough credits and XP to get strong enough equipment/skills to ignore all the shooting-enemies-bits

ME3 is basically fine. it did not live up to fan expectations but it's good enough. the gameplay is as good as ME2 but a little more frenetic. there are actually a lot of extra content mods available for it like Expanded Galaxy Mod, Spectre Mod, Ark Mod that touch up some of the flaws and improve the general experience

fwiw there are also HD texture mods for the whole series

I agree with all of this.

I am looking forward to the remaster and revisiting it all to see if it still holds up for me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fingers crossed it won't be a randomly broken lesser product with no ongoing support, like, uh, Human Revolution Director's Cut, or the Silent Hill director's cut, or the Bulletstorm Full Clip edition, or...

(None of which were unplayable, I hasten to add, just definitely less.)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

I agree with all of this.

I am looking forward to the remaster and revisiting it all to see if it still holds up for me.

ME3 has its issues but boy is the combat just exceptional. Just the weapon variety alone makes it tough to go back

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Open Source Idiom posted:

Fingers crossed it won't be a randomly broken lesser product with no ongoing support, like, uh, Human Revolution Director's Cut, or the Silent Hill director's cut, or the Bulletstorm Full Clip edition, or...

(None of which were unplayable, I hasten to add, just definitely less.)

What was wrong with Human Revolution? I played both and it seemed fine? It lost the yellow filter but that’s about it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

chaosapiant posted:

What was wrong with Human Revolution? I played both and it seemed fine? It lost the yellow filter but that’s about it.

It was the first act of the story they were trying to tell and felt like it. Didn't sell well enough, so there will only be a first act.

Mass Effect 1-3 are great. Not perfect, but great. The ending of the trilogy was kind of Contact-ish, and people were maaaaad and some still are. I maintain that it's thematically appropriate and that at no point were any humans actually anywhere near as important as we think we are. It's a Asari galaxy, we just live in it.

My face is tired.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m pretty sure you’re talking about Mankind Divided.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

HR Directors Cut was based not on the latest build of the original release. Some bugs returned and were never fixed again.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
A modder was working on re-adding the yellow filter to Deus Ex: Director's Cut, last time I checked. Don't know if the little bugs that cropped up again (which I think were mostly stuff like misaligned textures in some places?) were ever fixed through mods though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A bunch of new bugs turned up too, including a bunch of messed up lighting.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I'm thinking of picking up DA:I. I played it for a bit on someone else's pc and I can't say the mouse+kb controls endeared me. Is a controller fine, and is the game easy enough not to need active control of other party members?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

DAI works much better on a controller. I think you can get away with controlling a single character on normal difficulty.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
You never need to control other characters even on Nightmare (except when your character is incapacitated obviously). Just make sure you set your companions's preferred ability in tactics.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

I'm thinking of picking up DA:I. I played it for a bit on someone else's pc and I can't say the mouse+kb controls endeared me. Is a controller fine, and is the game easy enough not to need active control of other party members?

I played through it on the PS4 and had zero issues. I assume the PC version if basically the console version with a couple more bells and whistles, so it should be perfectly fine with a controller. For your second question, it really depends on your difficulty level. On Normal and Easy you don't have to control the other party members at all. Higher than that you may have to manually control them here or there, but it's not constant control every fight. I made it through on Nightmare and I think I really only ever controlled them during boss fights when they were doing something dumb or to set up a combo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm curious why the AI feels worse on Inquisition compared to DA2. There's less customization of tactics and it's not like the AI is particularly smarter to make up for it. Even jiggering when to use potions is a little restrictive.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys know if EA play includes all of Dragon Age DLC?

I was thinking of finally playing this series but if I have to choose between spending 30+euros to get all three games along with DLC vs 3 euros a month of EU play, i think the math definitely checks out on the latter.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I actually play DA:I on K/M and it’s fine. The trick (for me) is to map the controls as close as you can to Origins/DA2 controls. I use Shift for jump since I prefer Space for pausing. Alt for “tactical cam” and I also have it setup so pausing and zooming all the way out does NOT engage tactical cam. That alone gets you close to DA2’s level of zoom with similar enough combat controls.

The tactical cam, while a bit cumbersome, works fine for detail work. You can easily zoom as far out as you can in Origins and move it around the battlefield. Biggest issue with the tactical cam is that it still has collision as though your a character on the ground, and so you must move it as such, meaning going up stairs and not just directly “over” them, around obstacles, etc.

I think I have Q to ping/search and E to “activate/pickup.” F1-4 for character select and Tab for map. It really does work just fine. I’m sure some of my controls are the default ones but since I’ve changed them numerous times I can’t remember the defaults.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm curious why the AI feels worse on Inquisition compared to DA2. There's less customization of tactics and it's not like the AI is particularly smarter to make up for it. Even jiggering when to use potions is a little restrictive.
I think they were trying to make it as simple and streamlined as possible to be accessible to new players. If you go back to DAO there are a ton of behavioral options, Inquisition is just "use this power a lot," "don't use this one at all," "please stop chugging all the potions when you have taken 10pts of damage." Most of them are so bad at using them I don't allow them to do it at all and heal them manually. Cassandra seems to be the only one who will go "hmm I'm down to 10% health, should probably drink one" on her own. That or like a lot of things it was cut for time and they just left at "functional."

Inquisition is definitely intended to be played with a controller, possibly for the same reasons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember that in party tactics you have to set everyone's resource-using thresholds way down so that they reliably spam abilities instead of cast something every 5 seconds when they feel like it. Iron Bull's AI is almost completely useless because he'll use all the health-draining moves of Reaper spec without actually bothering to heal himself.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I also wouldn’t be surprised if the engine was also part of why the tactics options in this game are more limited than previous titles.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, didn't the forced switch to Frostbite cause tons of problems, making it a miracle the game turned out playable?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Yeah, didn't the forced switch to Frostbite cause tons of problems, making it a miracle the game turned out playable?
No, it caused the standard array of problems any dev team would experience when switching technologies between games. The DA:I development wasn't a dumpster fire and was run competently, so those problems were foreseen and accounted for.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bioware switching from their old codebase over to Frostbite is part of it. But most likely they had telemetry and playtesting data that showed the majority of players didn't use the in-depth AI tactics customization, so they didn't put in resources recreating it in the Frostbite codebase.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It was still a square peg/round hole situation as they spent the bulk of their dev time trying to make Frostbyte do rpg things, when it wasn't made for that and really didn't want them included. They did the best they could and it wasn't like Andromeda, but another engine would've been WAY easier for them.

And it shows in the final product. There's tons of weird and odd behaviour that just sort of works but not really. My favorite is just getting stuck on every little bit of terrain when you try and melee. Or not being able to automatically move towards your target like in the other two games.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Raygereio posted:

No, it caused the standard array of problems any dev team would experience when switching technologies between games. The DA:I development wasn't a dumpster fire and was run competently, so those problems were foreseen and accounted for.

Pffft hahahahaha

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Eimi posted:

It was still a square peg/round hole situation as they spent the bulk of their dev time trying to make Frostbyte do rpg things.
Creating the custom systems, middleware and necessary stuff is a core part of game development. If they had taken another engine, they would have to do similar poo poo.
Taking Eclipse/Lycium codebase and trying to upgrade that to 2014 graphical standards and have it support the larger areas they wanted would also taken a huge investment of time & resources.

Eimi posted:

And it shows in the final product. There's tons of weird and odd behaviour that just sort of works but not really. My favorite is just getting stuck on every little bit of terrain when you try and melee. Or not being able to automatically move towards your target like in the other two games.
Neither of your examples are specific to the Frostbite engine. If for example Bioware wanted to implement an auto-move like in the previous games, then they could have that. Moving away from the isometric/strategic style of DA:O to a more third-person action style of gameplay was a choice Bioware made for Inquisition.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I forgot how good Awakening is. No joke probably Bioware's best work.

Each of the zones is amazing, extremely varied and unique. Great quests. Great reactivity. All the companions are solid, sans Oghren and kind of Velenna ( though I liked her once I figured her out. ).

Vigil's Keep and upgrading it is top notch.

Hell, it also matters the power fantasy in a way few games do. Coming in as the HoF, everyone is in awe of you. Coming in as the Orlesian, you really feel the disdain for you.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Creating the custom systems, middleware and necessary stuff is a core part of game development. If they had taken another engine, they would have to do similar poo poo.
Taking Eclipse/Lycium codebase and trying to upgrade that to 2014 graphical standards and have it support the larger areas they wanted would also taken a huge investment of time & resources.

Neither of your examples are specific to the Frostbite engine. If for example Bioware wanted to implement an auto-move like in the previous games, then they could have that. Moving away from the isometric/strategic style of DA:O to a more third-person action style of gameplay was a choice Bioware made for Inquisition.
I agree that the camera/combat style can be explained as their own (wrong, obviously :v:) choice but "Frostbite is not the/an issue" is still wrong:

Jason Schreier on Bioware/Anthem posted:

BioWare first shifted to Frostbite for Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2011, which caused massive problems for that team. Many of the features those developers had taken for granted in previous engines, like a save-load system and a third-person camera, simply did not exist in Frostbite, which meant that the Inquisition team had to build them all from scratch.
[...]
“Frostbite is like an in-house engine with all the problems that entails—it’s poorly documented, hacked together, and so on—with all the problems of an externally sourced engine,” said one former BioWare employee. “Nobody you actually work with designed it, so you don’t know why this thing works the way it does, why this is named the way it is.”
[...]
Even today, BioWare developers say Frostbite can make their jobs exponentially more difficult. Building new iterations on levels and mechanics can be challenging due to sluggish tools, while bugs that should take a few minutes to squash might require days of back-and-forth conversations. “If it takes you a week to make a little bug fix, it discourages people from fixing bugs,” said one person who worked on Anthem. “If you can hack around it, you hack around it, as opposed to fixing it properly.” Said a second: “I would say the biggest problem I had with Frostbite was how many steps you needed to do something basic. With another engine I could do something myself, maybe with a designer. Here it’s a complicated thing.”

“It’s hard enough to make a game,” said a third BioWare developer. “It’s really hard to make a game where you have to fight your own tool set all the time.”
Using their own code base would have had been challenging in different ways, and so would actually using a well-documented 3rd party engine, but Frostbite being the worst of both worlds is :perfect:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Taking an engine designed from the ground up to do one thing (FPS games) and adapting it out to do whatever the gently caress is one of the dumbest things EA has ever done. Verses investing in their own more adaptive engine or continuing to use a 3rd party one. I cannot imagine the number of man-hours they've wasted attempting to wrangle all those sunk costs.

There are probably a handful of legacy folks at DICE who would happily sucker-punch whichever leadership team chained them to that boulder.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orcane posted:

I agree that the camera/combat style can be explained as their own (wrong, obviously :v:) choice but "Frostbite is not the/an issue" is still wrong:
Every single problem the move to Frostbite caused was predictable and something that could be accounted for. Which was what the Inquisition team did. All the fluff pieces they wrote about Frostbite during the development (like how they made the dialogue system and whatnot) could be summed up as "this was a challenge, but here is how we solved it".
You may disagree with the vision Laidlaw, Gaider & Co had for Inquistion (and there are certainly a bunch of design choices I don't like). But at least they had a coherent vision and were able to run a tight ship during the development.

It's still really loving stupid of EA that they didn't allocate proper support from Dice to Bioware and let Bioware figure stuff out of their own. But Frostbite isn't the reason Andromeda & Anthem are poo poo games. Those games' developments were badly run dumpster fires. If they had used Unreal, Bioware's own Eclipse/Lycium, or any tech of your choosing, then those games would still have ended up as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It wasn't the only reason, but it was a reason. Another millstone about their neck. Would the games still have been poo poo on any other engine? Sure, but that doesn't mean Frostbite didn't bog them down, limit their options, and increase their workload the same as it did for DA:I

Doubly so because the madmen running ME:A decided not to use any of the work the DA:I team put in adapting the engine to a third-person RPG. Like, the DA:I team got a fully functioning inventory system figured out from scratch and the ME:A didn't use any of it and rebuilt a whole new inventory system, again from scratch.