Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ork faces are my favourite thing in the world to paint. i think gw do a great job of putting character into them and i love working on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I love the goofy dumb ork faces of the boyz kit, I even like their silly hunchback butt-sticking-out pose. Whenever GW releases a new boyz kit, I hope they don't make them too serious looking like the AoS orcs. They look great but the faces seem to be generically angry-aggressive (I'm thinking of savage boys box) which is cool but has way less character

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Every move or(ru)ks make away from comic relief is a step further from God. They’re supposed to be fun :mad:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah the most recent 40k ork releases (like the speed freak buggies) have more serious faces than I prefer. Thankfully I have at least 3005 extra ork boy heads so I'm not in danger of ever running out.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

This one's probably out for me just because vallejo's in short supply in these parts lately

I have a few options here - I made a white wash a long time ago using a standard dip recipe, a testor's off-white wash that might work but is really fidgety, and an oil wash

I have a lot of room on the scales to patch test and oil is the most forgiving of the washes, so that's where i'm starting.'

edit: might need to adjust consistency but it's hard to get the recesses of the scales without slopping it all over. this one's a puzzle! I might just abandon ship on the idea and do a darker wash to make the details pop and accept that we can't always have what we want. white washes, ugh.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 25, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Every move or(ru)ks make away from comic relief is a step further from God. They’re supposed to be fun :mad:

:agreed:

i love the psychic gestalt "our junkk werks cuz we sez it does" lore as much as it grinds some people's gears and every stupid thing orks do that works just makes them funnier and more appealing

the 40k universe is full of bleak lovely garbage, please just make one thing fun, just one thing

space orks were always a stupid and funny idea and if you're gonna have them at all please just keep them goofy psychic teddybears who want to rip off your arms, not out of malice, but because fighting is fun and they don't grasp the concept of mortality. if there's no hilarious gonzo scifi bullshit it's just a really boring space opera at the end of the day

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 25, 2020

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

ork faces are my favourite thing in the world to paint. i think gw do a great job of putting character into them and i love working on them

You might find this 3D printable face practice tower to be of interest, then:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4645368

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i got such a huge pile of things i wanna buy but man a 3d printer is pretty high on that list lately

i know you can just order off shapeways or whatever but i've already got so much crap to paint i'd rather just save for the thing that makes new crap to paint

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mirthless posted:

This one's probably out for me just because vallejo's in short supply in these parts lately

I have a few options here - I made a white wash a long time ago using a standard dip recipe, a testor's off-white wash that might work but is really fidgety, and an oil wash

I have a lot of room on the scales to patch test and oil is the most forgiving of the washes, so that's where i'm starting.'

edit: might need to adjust consistency but it's hard to get the recesses of the scales without slopping it all over. this one's a puzzle! I might just abandon ship on the idea and do a darker wash to make the details pop and accept that we can't always have what we want. white washes, ugh.

Games Workshop's contrast paint Apothecary White diluted with contrast Medium can serve as a white wash in a pinch, but contrast paint can be rough to work with as a wash, it can pool and leave some nasty rings.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Chainclaw posted:

Games Workshop's contrast paint Apothecary White diluted with contrast Medium can serve as a white wash in a pinch, but contrast paint can be rough to work with as a wash, it can pool and leave some nasty rings.

I'm not really wanting to get into the contrast paints personally, I've got some good wash consistency paints I've mixed myself and the contrast line is a little pricy for me.

I'm making a trip to one of our more niche stores (historicals and large scale boutique minis) in the area probably today and I'll see if they have anything that'll work. For now, my best results have oddly come from Testor's FX driftwood acrylic wash. This line is pretty garbage for the most part and I'm not sure if it's what I'll ultimately end up using but it'd be nice if I could find one thing it was good at

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm actually going to get some of the liquitex titanium white ink today to test out making my own white wash. Also so I can do freehand with white a lot easier.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm actually going to get some of the liquitex titanium white ink today to test out making my own white wash. Also so I can do freehand with white a lot easier.

I use it in my airbrush and it's fuckin incredible, I might have to try making a wash from it myself

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mirthless posted:

I use it in my airbrush and it's fuckin incredible, I might have to try making a wash from it myself

I made my own black/blue wash the other day to test out and I don't think I made it thin enough so I'm going to keep messing with the recipe.

The one on the left is just straight drybrush layers over dark brown and on the right is white then wash then a little drybrushing.

Honestly I way prefer the brown one so I'll keep playing with that recipe too. Like doing a light brown then drybrushing up to dark on the fur or something idk yet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mirthless posted:

:agreed:

i love the psychic gestalt "our junkk werks cuz we sez it does" lore as much as it grinds some people's gears and every stupid thing orks do that works just makes them funnier and more appealing

the 40k universe is full of bleak lovely garbage, please just make one thing fun, just one thing

space orks were always a stupid and funny idea and if you're gonna have them at all please just keep them goofy psychic teddybears who want to rip off your arms, not out of malice, but because fighting is fun and they don't grasp the concept of mortality. if there's no hilarious gonzo scifi bullshit it's just a really boring space opera at the end of the day

I really like Fun 40K :unsmith:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 26, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bucnasti posted:

If you’re looking for vibrant colors also check out the Vallejo Mecha line, should be available in nerd stores that sell a lot of Gundams.

I've had good luck with paints actually being in stock, or fairly quickly restocked, from https://www.scalehobbyist.com/.

e. I particularly like how their search engine will let you drill down to a brand, and then colors. "Show me all the Model Air Greens" has been very useful.

Also, lol, I got drunk and ordered paint again.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 26, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

yum posted:

I love the goofy dumb ork faces of the boyz kit, I even like their silly hunchback butt-sticking-out pose. Whenever GW releases a new boyz kit, I hope they don't make them too serious looking like the AoS orcs. They look great but the faces seem to be generically angry-aggressive (I'm thinking of savage boys box) which is cool but has way less character

I really like to the Ardboys though. They look kinda serious and scary but then in the same sprue they have their helmets which are maximum Orc goofiness

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I said this in the Battletech thread, more people should go buy real art brand paints. The hobby branded stuff is ludicrously expensive and tends not to use the finest or highest quality pigments. Artist grade fluid acrylics (thin with thinning medium or water in a pinch) from your local art supply store should generally both be cheaper and of higher quality than the hobby branded stuff.

Also treat yourself to some good brushes from said store, you won't regret it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

The Demilich posted:

I usually prime pink or magenta for the basecoat, zenithal titanium white, then blast it with yellow.

From all the testing I did for my Ironjawz, this is the Correct Way. It also happens to be the Easiest way. It's not often that the Easy Way is the Correct Way.

You could also shoot darker pink from below to reinforce the shading. I'd use ink for the yellow.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bucnasti posted:

If you’re looking for vibrant colors also check out the Vallejo Mecha line, should be available in nerd stores that sell a lot of Gundams.

I never got the point of those paints. Is the goal to have colored metallic paints? So you could paint "realistic" giant robots (maybe space crafts I reckon) ?

I tried their Gunmetal and I found it inferior to even the regular Game line Gunmetal, when it came to weapons anyway.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

My Space Hulk - Deathwing project continues.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Professor Shark posted:

I really like Fun 40K :unsmith:

the thing that i like the most about orks is that, if they actually grasped death on a fundamental level, they might be hesitant to just go around killing people

it's a very weird juxtaposition between being good natured and absolutely murderous, it makes terrible grimdark characters actually likable and fun because they have such positive attitudes about the things they're doing

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

My Space Hulk - Deathwing project continues.

extremely sick

how did you do the white armor, and what wash did you use?

I just got a set of terms myself, i'm just not a fan of the smaller marines generally but I've always loved the terminator models.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 26, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Finally got some nail polish displays to tidy my paints

The steps aren’t quite big enough to make it convenient to see what dropper bottle is behind what, but it’s way better than the random pile

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Mirthless posted:

extremely sick

how did you do the white armor, and what wash did you use?

I just got a set of terms myself, i'm just not a fan of the smaller marines generally but I've always loved the terminator models.

Thank you!
I primed Wraithbone and washed Sepia to have a base colour, and then covered most of the areas in Bleached Bone (Ushabti Bone now in current range I think?), highlighted with Pallid Wych Flesh, and the final highlights are Corax White/White Scar.

And careful with old terminators because I wanted mine to be from the 94 range, as these, but then I got some from 89 and now I want to paint those as well. I don't know where this madness will stop.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finished Lord of Pain for AoS this morning. Had a lot of fun playing with contrasts with this one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tried out painting camo for the first time today. I think it came out well but I can do better. Mostly doing more random shapes in the stippling and maybe a tiny bit of dark blue instead of just greyscale.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I can't update my LP, but I can still paint.

Finished a Gnoll cackle leader and her husbands:

As well as their daughters and sons:

Gnolls in my setting are very fastidious, and touching raw meat with their bare hands is a cultural taboo. Only the truly desperate, like aging males trying to prove their virility, actually fight with their claws. They'd probably get along pretty well in the First Cities but they hate lions and exterminate them at every opportunity; and there are lion people living in the cities.

Edit: and some more random tavern terrain bits.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 27, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noticed this recently and thought I would mention it. There's a big box retailer in the US that specializes in clearance, last season and closeout goods, called Ross. They're affiliated directly with the craft store Michael's, the slightly less evil competitor to hobby lobby. I think there may have been some Michael's closures recently because every Ross in my area is flooded with very cheap art supplies right now. I really recommend dropping by if you have one in your area, most of what they have is just cheap crap from the bargain bin, but this is maybe the cheapest way to buy decent paintbrushes short of bulk ordering off Wish/AX and with those services you never know what you're gonna get until it arrives

Four gold taklon #2 rounds, Four gold taklon #6 rounds, Four white taklon #6 flat shaders, and a pile of natural hair dry brushes for $8

I also got a couple of royal & langnickel gold taklon brush variety packs for $3 a pack.

Aside from miniature stuff, we also found two packages of Koh-I-Noor Hardmuth Polycolors which are very nice colored pencils, at $3.99 a tin. These are normally $25. They're somewhere between prismacolours and polychromos with a wax/oil core, I love coloring with them and if you can find them at that cost they're really fun to play with, even if you're not very good with colored pencils. They blend and layer well and don't get super waxy. I have prismacolors too and the polycolors are on par for sure

You can find alcohol markers too for a hell of a lot cheaper than copics, probably a roulette spin on whether or not they're any good

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 27, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Painted my first Warcaster model today.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Looks good. I haven't followed that game / PP closely, didn't realize it was out. Are the models all plastic, or is it a mixed bag of metal, plastic, and resin like WarmaHordes?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Looks good. I haven't followed that game / PP closely, didn't realize it was out. Are the models all plastic, or is it a mixed bag of metal, plastic, and resin like WarmaHordes?

All metal, they are very heavy models.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

At least one of the Heavy Warjacks, the Nemesis, is resin and metal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

Painted my first Warcaster model today.

Looks good, I've been meaning to post the group shot of what I've completed so far. Did you magnetize?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

All metal, they are very heavy models.

I know it's cheaper or whatever but ugh. GW has ruined me on other minis companies because I just can't be bothered to work with Not Metal

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Looks good, I've been meaning to post the group shot of what I've completed so far. Did you magnetize?

I didn't, but should really do that for the other two factions.

Sab669 posted:

I know it's cheaper or whatever but ugh. GW has ruined me on other minis companies because I just can't be bothered to work with Not Metal

My main complaint is paint scraps off very easily with metal, and I could use tips and help with this, cause I must be doing something wrong and just not understanding what.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I said come in! posted:

My main complaint is paint scraps off very easily with metal, and I could use tips and help with this, cause I must be doing something wrong and just not understanding what.

Gloss varnish as a protective coat. It'll form a kind of armor around the paint job and make it very resilient to paint chipping.

It'll make it shiny though, so you'll want to hit it with a coat or two of matte varnish afterwards.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

Gloss varnish as a protective coat. It'll form a kind of armor around the paint job and make it very resilient to paint chipping.

It'll make it shiny though, so you'll want to hit it with a coat or two of matte varnish afterwards.

What's the reasoning behind gloss + matte instead of just matte?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Communist Walrus posted:

What's the reasoning behind gloss + matte instead of just matte?

Gloss is a lot tougher a varnish than matte. This isn't to say matte isn't protective (it is!), and if your models are in a cabinet 95% of the time you could probably just stop with that. But if they are being handled/transported regularly, gloss is something you want to consider first--especially for metal models.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gloss also provides a smooth surface for your matte varnish. Matte varnish can get cloudy if it ends up being applied unevenly either due to the method of application or surface texture of your model.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I said come in! posted:

I didn't, but should really do that for the other two factions.

I've got a Scourge mostly magnetized and it was really easy, the surfaces drill out easily and the connection points all seem solid. I just need to build a rig of some sort to be able to keep the polarities of the tiny-rear end magnets straight, especially since all the Warjacks will need to be cross-compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i also like putting gloss varnish on before using a wash because it helps it run off flat surfaces and find the recesses