Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm astounded that you were able to one shot the Trial of the Fool but unable to defeat the Radiance. The Trial of the Fool is way harder.

It sure wasn't easy, but Trial of the fool does have some opportunities for you to heal yourself, and the final boss in the trial to me had the longest window of opportunity to attack it. I happened to have the badge that lets me attack much faster, so I was able to beat the boss very quickly.

I rely on small windows to heal myself, and i'm not afforded any room to do so on the first phase of radiance as im figuring out his moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

b_d posted:

I'm working on getting all the achievements in this game... did the steel soul ones today, now I "just" have to do pantheons 4 and 5

I've done pantheon 4 and got to the last boss in 5. This is going to take a long time

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

I've done pantheon 4 and got to the last boss in 5. This is going to take a long time

Good news: you can practice the last boss now

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The last boss of 5 is a doozy, I had to practice in the hall of gods for awhile before I could clear that and Pure Vessel consistently. But you can do it!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I've gotten 3 kills out of like 30 attempts. It's really random if she's nice to me or keeps teleporting away whenever I get close.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My breakthrough was switching toward a caster-focused build. Quick Slash rarely did any good in that fight so I basically just kept Mark of Pride and then saved all of my soul to burst out a bunch of damage in phase 2.

There's definitely a tragic amount of rng to the fight, though. Keep at it, nail down the reflexes for the most problematic attacks.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I'm using Shaman Stone, Spell Twister, Mark of Pride, and Unbreakable Strength. So I have all the casting buffs unless I wanted to switch out Strength for like... soul catcher + grubsong or something, but that'd be a pretty minor gain.

But yeah I'll keep working on it. I'm getting better at the first phase. I take most of my damage trying to chase her around in the second phase and getting swords / lasers in the face

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

At the Hollow Knight, under 5 hours.

gently caress. I got overconfident because I could easily handle the Pure Vessel, but I did not realize the pillars from his slam did 2 damage, and 2 of those wiped me from 4 when he was on his last legs.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

got a cool glitch while failing p5
http://twitch.tv/videos/731741116

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

Poor fella

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

b_d posted:

Awesome. Good thing you were recording :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

b_d posted:

This just plays a video of a black screen with the sound over it for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RCarr posted:

This just plays a video of a black screen with the sound over it for me.

Well... the video definitely works so that's a you problem. Troubleshoot your browser dude lmao.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:cool:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Job well done. No one may ever tell you to git gud again.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I've been playing this for the first time and had to make something to express the feelings I have whenever I enter a new area full of a new set of adorable creatures I have to kill (particularly inspired by the rolly buddies in the mushroom area)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i found and read the Quirrel supplementary comic and it's still kind of funny what an absolute hardass Hornet is in this world of googly-eyed bug people

H: Welcome to Hallownest, traveler. Turn back or I will murder you.
Q: Haha, there's no need for that. I don't mean any-
H: You did not turn back, and so I will now murder you

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I want a prequel series about the map dude and his powerful wife

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They have a genuinely sweet and heartwarming relationship. :3:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I want a comic where Hornet isn’t obliged to play up her ‘fantasy princess of destiny’ role and has to interact with the plain old villagers of Dirtmouth like Cornifer and Iselda. It’s a real social-fish-out-of-water situation and no one seems too impressed by her.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bust Rodd posted:

I want a prequel series about the map dude and his powerful wife

:sigh: Bappanada.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Hollow Knight is going to be a free game for PS+ next month. Hopefully this is a precursor to some news on Silksong.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I got Hollow Knight free on PS+ about two weeks ago and have sunk like 60-70 hours into already. Haven’t played a game in so long where I was so enamored by it. Working on Pantheon 3 right now and at 110%.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s not for everybody but there are some of us for whom it is probably an instant classic, one of the top 10 greatest video games ever made,& something that we form a very strong, very weird, very precise emotional connection to.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Hollow Knight is going to be a free game for PS+ next month. Hopefully this is a precursor to some news on Silksong.

This month, chief. Its almost over.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

This month, chief. Its almost over.
This month was next month last month, buddy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ah, my bad. I swear there were more posts in this thread lately but I guess not :shobon:

E: Oh I mixed up the Hollow Knight and Silksong threads, because we talk about both in both. We should probably merge them lmao.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

This month was next month last month, buddy

This month is coming out tomorrow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

This month is coming out tomorrow

I heard its rushed and they cut a lot.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

MJeff posted:

I liked Steamworld Dig a bit, I should try 2.

Loved both

So It Goes posted:

Play Yoku Island Express for that sweet sweet pinball metroidvania action we all need.

Hell yes, wish it were longer

NoMas fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 26, 2020

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Without wanting to set off ten pages of Difficulty In Games Discourse, are there any decent mods for HK that make it easier? Like healing or damage reduction or not having to walk-of-shame back to bosses before you get dreamgate. I have a friend who loves the aesthetic of the game, it's exactly their thing, but they're just getting frustrated with the difficulty of it and it doesn't have a convenient godmode option like Hades does. Any chance the fan community has stepped in to fill the gap?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Without wanting to set off ten pages of Difficulty In Games Discourse, are there any decent mods for HK that make it easier? Like healing or damage reduction or not having to walk-of-shame back to bosses before you get dreamgate. I have a friend who loves the aesthetic of the game, it's exactly their thing, but they're just getting frustrated with the difficulty of it and it doesn't have a convenient godmode option like Hades does. Any chance the fan community has stepped in to fill the gap?
Just googling Hollow Knight Easy Mode mod led me to a steam discussion thread where someone described what sounds like the most popularly available general "easy mode" mod:

quote:

The EasyMode Mod does the following: (info taken from ReadMe)
- All charm costs are reduced by 1.
- Sitting at a bench gives 2 free lifeblood masks.
- Nail damage is increased, using the formula dmg = 8 + 5 * upgrades. (instead of dmg = 5 + 4 * upgrades)
- Soul collection is increased by 6 per nail hit. (with no charms, 2 hits now allows a spell or focus)
- Focus time is reduced by half.
- Dying no longer loses geo or causes a shade to spawn.
Their instructions referred to downloading a ModInstaller program from NexusMods, but it seems like that one might not be available from that site anymore. I just feel kind of weird recommending any of this because I haven't personally tested any of it myself, so you'd be running random code that I can't vouch for, but apparently the modding stuff has maybe been focused in a very popular Hollow Knight discord channel: https://discord.gg/hollowknight

Again, a part of me feels weird directing people to some random discord that I can't vouch for to download stuff, but this one has like 75,000 members and I get the impression from Youtubers mentioning it etc. that it might just be the place to go for this stuff.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ha I was just coming back to edit my post to say I found that! It looks like the mod installer is still available from Nexusmods to me? It also appears to have the mods that people use for running randomiser bingo races, so seems popular and therefore probably safe to me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Ha I was just coming back to edit my post to say I found that! It looks like the mod installer is still available from Nexusmods to me? It also appears to have the mods that people use for running randomiser bingo races, so seems popular and therefore probably safe to me.
Weird... I coulda sworn it wasn't showing up earlier, but yeah you're right. I dunno if that mod is tweakable in case it's too easy or still too hard or anything, but I guess it seems solid?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, at a glance it does look like a decent set of upgrades that will make the game still feel like a game but make it significantly less punishing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

If you want godmode Cheat Engine will hook you up no problem.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

what's the secret to Grimm (the first version) because I feel very unprepared for him despite being confident with most bosses

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Unfortunately the secret to Grimm is “learn his patterns.” He has a lot of tough attacks to dodge but fundamentally they’re the same each time; beyond which attack is chosen, there’s not really any randomness involved. As such, if you go in trying to build up the instincts to detect, dodge, and if possible punish each attack, you’ll get him eventually.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah you really just need to learn Grimm's moves and develop the muscle memory to react to them. He only has a few distinct moves, so just get used to identifying them and reacting to them

There are some optimizations you can use to maximize damage, though. For instance when he turns into a balloon you can deal a bunch of damage with abyss shriek, and you won't take damage if you're quick. And you can at least get a quick pogo hit on each of his dash moves. There's a pattern to his fire bats that you can exploit to very quickly get next to him to deal a bunch of hits

In fact if you are spell damage optimized you can deal so much damage during a balloon phase that he goes straight into another balloon phase (each balloon phase denotes a damage threshold)

If you don't have shade cloak, that makes a lot of fights much easier once you get used to being able to dodge through stuff

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

what's the secret to Grimm (the first version) because I feel very unprepared for him despite being confident with most bosses

Hit him with your nail until he dies.