Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

norton I posted:

It has the problem a lot of good games have, where the bosses are so much cooler than the the hero.

SENATOR is amazing when he's explaining his secret plot to make the world full of rad robot cyborg fights, they really needed to give him some more time to chew scenery.

Sadly MGR is a victim of cut content and I think this is why the boss fights ended up so much more memorable than the stages themselves. Nobody remembers the little airplane hangar and base you go through before the Metal Gear boss because it's only like two fights, but originally that was a whole level leading up to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The worst thing about MGR is that it has six hours of rambling codec calls and most of them don't add any value, but I fear that I might miss some good stuff if I skip them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's sad that we won't get the sequel to MGR that Platinum wanted to make, with more of a 'team up with Blade Wolf' angle to the game. But it feels like a lot of the planning for that turned into Astral Chain, which is for the best because that game is loving amazing, and Nintendo is a much nicer steward for a property like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Age of Calamity each character gets a goofy title for what they are, like Mipha is "Zora's Wellspring."

Sidon's is "Winning Smile."

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
When characters have access to bathrooms. It bothers me when in some modern settings you don't see any bathrooms in the world, people shouldn't poop on the ground, like animals.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

In Age of Calamity each character gets a goofy title for what they are, like Mipha is "Zora's Wellspring."

Sidon's is "Winning Smile."

i read the first word of this spoiler and hurled my credit card clean through my television set

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i read the first word of this spoiler and hurled my credit card clean through my television set

He owns pretty hard. His entire gimmick is that he has an "Enthusiasm" booster which involves his winning smile and if you time the button press right his attacks become flashier and more damaging.

AoC actually is extremely good about having distinct and character-fitting playstyles for almost every character. Master Kohga has a playstyle involved around him doing cool ninja tricks but loving them up if you let the animation play out. The more he does this the more upset he gets until he throws a whiny tantrum. You can eat bannanas to stave this off or wait until he's just about to flip out and then convert his whiny energy into a laser from his face called Big Flashy Beam.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
In Assassin's Creed Valhalla, being able to get Broder's name wrong after sex with them is hilarious and I love that they put that in as a thing you could do.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I usually couldn't give a crap about collectables, but the photorealistic PlayStation artefacts in Astro's Playroom are so cool that I must finish the collection at all costs.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Kitfox88 posted:

it owned till it presented the loving dude's confession and game as though it mattered at all, especially after he let an innocent kid go to prison for years and be treated like a public menace gently caress that poo poo lmao

still a fun game

all the chowder man stuff is great

Super late to this reply but we didn't write that ending to let him off. The player can choose how to feel about it. Tho I'll admit that it does feel a bit tonally weird since in real game time it doesn't feel like there were 20 years between the big thing happening and his apology.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A lot of Hyponospace Outlaw is just people being people. You'll note that in the ending Dylan still used his loving car game that killed people as part of his apology! Dude is so far up his own butt he can't see how tonally disastrous that is. Or he just can't let it go.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gaspy Conana posted:

Super late to this reply but we didn't write that ending to let him off. The player can choose how to feel about it. Tho I'll admit that it does feel a bit tonally weird since in real game time it doesn't feel like there were 20 years between the big thing happening and his apology.

I probably would have felt a little less miffed if there’d been something about him facing legal repercussions or such after the game, though I do understand why you cut at precisely that point. Really it probably would have been better of me to describe it as having read it as Dylan STILL making it about him and his lovely game while giving barely an apology, like TMA said.

Chowder Man still owns though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Cleretic posted:

It's sad that we won't get the sequel to MGR that Platinum wanted to make, with more of a 'team up with Blade Wolf' angle to the game. But it feels like a lot of the planning for that turned into Astral Chain, which is for the best because that game is loving amazing, and Nintendo is a much nicer steward for a property like that.

Plus, it turns out Raiden's actor is a sex pest, so that probably put the nail into the coffin of any Revengeance sequel.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Probably not, even if a Revangeance sequel was a thing that was going to happen I doubt Japanese developers and publishers would give a poo poo what and American actor has done. It would be up to the American arm handling the casting for the dub to decide if they want to re-cast him or look the other way and hope no one cares.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Obviously the move to make is to replace him with a Big Serious Action Hero actor and have him not say much. I nominate Vin Diesel.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Whoopsy, Raiden has lost even more of his body and we have had to replace his voice box with these vocoder nanomachines we salvaged from Armstrong and now he sounds exactly like him

The real tragedy is that we can never get a full and proper voiced Solidus fight, he was perfectly designed to be a Revengance boss

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What did Raidens guy do? He was a voice actor so I assume the standard sleeping with underage fans?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim instead of an inventory exactly there's a "thought cloud" which nicely streamlines any items and keywords into a single place. Which is a cool little thing on it's own. But the real reason i'm here is because when that menu is open the character will assume a thinking pose of some sort and i spent an inordinate amount of time just making them wander around all :thunk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

What did Raidens guy do? He was a voice actor so I assume the standard sleeping with underage fans?

https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-sexual-predator-harassment-kingdom-hearts-metal-gear/
Garbage fan harassment to get pics & videos, and getting too personal with cosplayers at the very least.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

But hey on a happier note, in AC Valhalla I went on a mission to save a trapped dog that turned out to be a wolf that turned out to be a friendly half-trained wolf, and now I have an animal friend to tactically sic on enemies during combat :cheerdoge:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

a kitten posted:

In 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim instead of an inventory exactly there's a "thought cloud" which nicely streamlines any items and keywords into a single place. Which is a cool little thing on it's own. But the real reason i'm here is because when that menu is open the character will assume a thinking pose of some sort and i spent an inordinate amount of time just making them wander around all :thunk:

and sometimes - no matter what is going on in that character's life - they will only be thinking of yakisoba pan

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Picayune posted:

and sometimes - no matter what is going on in that character's life - they will only be thinking of yakisoba pan

I’m so mad this isn’t on PC

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Age Of Calamity has 18 characters

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've been playing Watch underscore Dogs colon Legion for awhile now, and I really dig it. A couple little things I love about the driving specifically are: You can turn on autopilot (like in Far Cry or whatever), and your car will drive automatically to your waypoint, and your little hacker will look at their phone while autopilot is engaged (like you would in real life). Also, if you play music, and get out of the car, you can still hear the music playing, a bit muffled, outside the car. It adds a nice bit of verisimilitude to this cyberpunk dystopia where anyone can become a superhacker stealthgame protagonist.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.thegamer.com/quinton-flynn-sexual-predator-harassment-kingdom-hearts-metal-gear/
Garbage fan harassment to get pics & videos, and getting too personal with cosplayers at the very least.

I saw posts about this and wondered if it was Vic Mignogna, because Raiden sounds a little similar to some of his characters. But no, it’s yet another creep in the entertainment industry, because of course it is :sigh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Crusader Kings 3 added its ruler designer.

https://twitter.com/mickssecretlair/status/1331519424168341505?s=19

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So, MAD RAT DEAD is a fantastic rhythm platformer with a incredibly good soundtrack, but what's suprising is just how well written the plot is and a few neat things relating to gameplay happen because of it. You see there is this mechanic where when you die you can rewind up to a certain number of beats back and try from there, and so after doing a sedate level later into the story, after the last several have all been intense something incredibly terrible happens and your character actually rewinds outside of gameplay, so the next level is the same one, but instead of the same speed its a new song thats twice as fast, dramatic, and there are wind gusts pushing you even faster towards the exit and it feels like a completely different level.

Please play MAD RAT DEAD if you like rhythm games its so drat good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In AC Valhalla, part of building up your home base is filling up a bunch of cosmetic spaces with various things you can build, things which are not limited in being reused. Am I going to put up giganto spooky revenant statues all over town? Goddamn right I am.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Captain Hygiene posted:

In AC Valhalla, part of building up your home base is filling up a bunch of cosmetic spaces with various things you can build, things which are not limited in being reused. Am I going to put up giganto spooky revenant statues all over town? Goddamn right I am.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kind of a little thing in Valhalla but every time you find a roman artifact it plays like a scary sound. :(

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

I just found a bandit camp in AC Valhalla that had a giant bucket of booze. With the first prompt to drink, Eivor uses their hand to drink. Subsequent prompts and they just loving dunk their head in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Samovar posted:

Well now I'm just sad that you can't rename your settlement :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zoig posted:

So, MAD RAT DEAD is a fantastic rhythm platformer with a incredibly good soundtrack, but what's suprising is just how well written the plot is and a few neat things relating to gameplay happen because of it. You see there is this mechanic where when you die you can rewind up to a certain number of beats back and try from there, and so after doing a sedate level later into the story, after the last several have all been intense something incredibly terrible happens and your character actually rewinds outside of gameplay, so the next level is the same one, but instead of the same speed its a new song thats twice as fast, dramatic, and there are wind gusts pushing you even faster towards the exit and it feels like a completely different level.

Please play MAD RAT DEAD if you like rhythm games its so drat good.

did the people who worked on HELL YEAH split off and make this? artstyle's nearly identical

it looks neat but $40 is a tall ask for a 3-4 hour game

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I dunno, its made by NIS, the same people who made disgaea. It certainly was well worth the money even if it is expensive at full price, I beat it this morning and now I have the entire game but hard mode to do, where it has red double beats and the speed of the beats varies more with the song.

Also another small neat thing, after you beat a level you unlock its song, you can replay any level with that song, which is weird and neat.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well now I'm just sad that you can't rename your settlement :(

You can no longer knock people out and recruit them to your crew, sadly.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

There are a lot of people Naruto running in Pavlov :allears: I love VR

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Watch Dogs: Legion

YOU CAN RIDE THE LONDON EYE

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AC Valhalla: your viking friends have induvidual stories to tell on your longship. And you can swap in or out who rides in your ship which took me many hours to discover, so I guess this is an easy thing to miss. Some of them are pretty funny too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bony tony posted:

Watch Dogs: Legion

YOU CAN RIDE THE LONDON EYE

Can you do magic phone tricks to it? :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No, it's just a ride. I kind of don't mind that you can't hack anything, because it's a nice way to look at the cool world they made.