Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sexpig by night posted:

that would literally be one of the funniest movies made if it was just played 100% straight thriller about a kid hiding from robbers after a fight with his family and all and then the final scene is just him getting his head taken off by his own paint bucket trap.

I don't even want the thriller bits. Play the exact same movie that exista now but like he just electrocuted himself setting up the door bell or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

In addition to the lesbian kristen stewart christmas movie, I also watched The Princess Switch: Switched Again (the sequel to The Princess Switch, starring Vanessa Hudgens as the titular doppelgangers) and I hope that they make a third film that continues to escalate the number of lookalikes. I propose that the next film should be centred on the two princesses daughters with their respective husbands, who look identical to each other and to their mothers. Both generations MUST be played by Vanessa Hudgens, with the mothers wearing terrible aging makeup and graying wigs.

Plot is irrelevant.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Farm Frenzy posted:

seeing shadow firing his deagle at a group of soldiers is makign me question everything i thought i knew about sonic the hedgehog. this is not the sanitized power fantasy i grew up with. i am finally an adult

*The seven Chaos emeralds rotate around Shadow*

Shadow: Finally, I've got ALL the Chaos Emeralds

Sonic (collapsed on the ground): Man... I didn't think you had it in ya.

Shadow: I'm Shadow the Hedgehog...and now I am the most powerful hedgehog in the world! The power of these Emeralds makes me invincible! I am the ultimate hedgehog. This is WHO I AM! Hahahahahaha!

<cut to credits>

I AM ALL I AM

sexpig by night posted:

that would literally be one of the funniest movies made if it was just played 100% straight thriller about a kid hiding from robbers after a fight with his family and all and then the final scene is just him getting his head taken off by his own paint bucket trap.

Isn't that basically the plot to You're Next?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

McCloud posted:

Even for a strawman this is an incredibly stupid post, and you should really strive to do better.

I think if anything I'm being overly generous to Snyder, in that with that statement I'm assuming he's trying to critique anything at all instead of merely celebrating violence.

"Wouldn't it be hosed up if Superman punched somebody through a building in real life" is a message that's about as applicable as a CAD punchline. The common thread in Snyder films is hypercompetent protagonists inflicting violence on others, and the graphic nature of this violence is just a way of emphasizing its effectiveness.

Snyder's films are still sanitized power fantasies—the violence is still stylized, hypercompetent, and usually presented as justified—they're just sanitized power fantasies that pretend to be realistic to allow manchildren to pretend what they're watching isn't an edgy version of a children's cartoon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Karloff posted:

The rating systems also focus a lot on repeatability. They don't want kids replicating actually dangerous fight moves on their siblings, which is why the most gruesome contemporary film series at the PG-13 level is Jurassic Park. You get severed arms, people being torn in half and to pieces on screen, waterfalls of blood, one poor dude getting crushed flat and getting stuck to the bottom of a Tyrannosaur's foot and getting repeatedly crushed into pulp. But no kid is gonna eat another kid* so it sneaks through.

*In theory.

weirdly enough poo poo like that was why i couldnt get into Jurassic park. i always liked the book more because it potrays John Hammond as an amoral rear end in a top hat who takes short cuts and is a dickhead tycoon/weirdo. painting him as some jolly caring dude makes me wonder how he sleeps at night. like how many people died and turned into dino poo poo. like sure the blame can be placed on "bad corperations" but jesus. also i hate the new ones because they always felt weirdly cruel. like that loving minute long secretary death, like wtf was that poo poo. i guess i own enough lizards to know they don't play with their food for like 10 minutes.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 28, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Shut up about Snyder and watch this new baywatching instead :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAz4WupTcyU&ab_channel=MovieNights

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Ralphthemoviemaker did a deep dive into terrible Bruce Willis movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP47VQTxufM
Weirdly a lot of those direct to streaming movies he's doing nowadays seem to be made by only a couple of directors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Microcline posted:

I think if anything I'm being overly generous to Snyder, in that with that statement I'm assuming he's trying to critique anything at all instead of merely celebrating violence.

"Wouldn't it be hosed up if Superman punched somebody through a building in real life" is a message that's about as applicable as a CAD punchline. The common thread in Snyder films is hypercompetent protagonists inflicting violence on others, and the graphic nature of this violence is just a way of emphasizing its effectiveness.

Snyder's films are still sanitized power fantasies—the violence is still stylized, hypercompetent, and usually presented as justified—they're just sanitized power fantasies that pretend to be realistic to allow manchildren to pretend what they're watching isn't an edgy version of a children's cartoon.

I'm not sure what critique or message you think is being presented?

Snyder's films have stylized, justified, violence, not because Snyder is making some galaxy brained Big Point about violence, but because that is par for the course for super hero stories. The difference between his films and the actual cartoons (as shown last page) is almost wholly aesthetic. McCloud seemed think this was largely the objection people had with his films, that even though the content was the same between the two his style made it "uncomfortable."

And... as far as I can tell you seem to agree.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So do we like the Patrick Willems 'Please, if you're going to made 'Adult' superhero movies, just make them with good stories instead of using sex, boobs, swearing and rape as supposedly adult themes' video or is he actually the rear end in a top hat here?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

was it an intentionally disturbing and realistic depiction of violence when doomsday started firing dragon ball z lasers

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not sure what critique or message you think is being presented?

Snyder's films have stylized, justified, violence, not because Snyder is making some galaxy brained Big Point about violence, but because that is par for the course for super hero stories. The difference between his films and the actual cartoons (as shown last page) is almost wholly aesthetic. McCloud seemed think this was largely the objection people had with his films, that even though the content was the same between the two his style made it "uncomfortable."

And... as far as I can tell you seem to agree.

With Watchmen, I don't think Snyder is offering a coherent critique or message. Which is a problem, because Moore and Gibbons' original is a masterpiece about how superheroes are informed by our society's racism, imperialism, and the nuclear Armageddons of our past and future. Unlike Snyder films, which include a large number of highly stylized fight scenes, I would only say there's one conventional fight, and it's the one Ozymandias deliberately stages. McCloud argued that the reason Snyder added a bunch of highly choreographed slow-mo fight scenes is as some sort of critique. I pointed out that even if we accept this (which I don't), it still doesn't mean Snyder is making an intelligent point.

My disagreement with McCloud is that I think Snyder is a Randian who glorifies and fetishizes graphic violence, and that provides a very clean explanation for why he hosed up Watchmen in the way that he did.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think the fights are there because it's a summer blockbuster about fancydress vigilantes.

imo it's far more interesting how he transforms ozymandias' plan to unite the planet against an external threat by committing a false flag alien 9/11 to instead be having an american superweapon created by america and used as a weapon of war and nuclear deterrent against the rest of the world detonate in an american city and then step 3: world peace enforced by the ominous spectre of the american ubermensch as god.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Microcline posted:

With Watchmen, I don't think Snyder is offering a coherent critique or message. Which is a problem, because Moore and Gibbons' original is a masterpiece about how superheroes are informed by our society's racism, imperialism, and the nuclear Armageddons of our past and future. Unlike Snyder films, which include a large number of highly stylized fight scenes, I would only say there's one conventional fight, and it's the one Ozymandias deliberately stages. McCloud argued that the reason Snyder added a bunch of highly choreographed slow-mo fight scenes is as some sort of critique. I pointed out that even if we accept this (which I don't), it still doesn't mean Snyder is making an intelligent point.

My disagreement with McCloud is that I think Snyder is a Randian who glorifies and fetishizes graphic violence, and that provides a very clean explanation for why he hosed up Watchmen in the way that he did.

I definitely agree that the stylized slow-motion violence in Watchmen is meant to critique the characters that engage in it or superhero movies of the period or both, and also agree that Snyder doesn’t really offer a coherent statement about anything in Watchmen. Remember that the rape scene is shot the same way, and also that the sex scene in the owl plane is ridiculous and makes the characters look ridiculous. There’s also the part where the old man gets killed by the punks, which keeps cutting between his youth as a guy beating the poo poo out of people and him dying the same way, which seems like some kind of indictment of him as the one who put the whole story in motion. But it’s just monkey-see monkey-do, in that Snyder understands that the comic makes its characters pathetic and inadequate and so he finds movie-specific ways of doing that without bringing any kind of vision of his own.

Really, the problem with adaptations of Watchmen is that they’re all done by huge loving nerds who treat it with reverence that is not appropriate. The best parts of the HBO sequel are when they’re making the characters from the original look like stupid assholes.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Microcline posted:

You're inventing some made up fantasy about a director in order to reinforce your opinion of his work while McCloud is offering their reading of the film as they saw it. It's just much easier to say you didn't like the film because you think the source material is unassailable and unadaptable and Zack Snyder's interpretation of that work wasn't to your liking.

It's super easy and makes talking about those films less like pulling teeth and more like general film discussion because headcanon strawmen aren't being brought into the equation.

"I didn't like Watchmen because Zack Snyder's slick direction of the hyper-violent action doesn't support that it's a deconstruction of superhero violence. He failed to communicate that because of how focused it was on its own style."

Is much more believable than "he's a secret randian who gets off at violence and destruction" that weirdos like to go on about. And really, as someone who really doesn't give a poo poo about Watchmen, the argument for both points of how it's too slick and betrays the point its trying to make or how that slick violence is what hits home that point really do make sense for me. Most criticisms, valid or more of that radian nonsense, I see just stem insufferable comic nerds clutching their crusted copies of Watchmen close to their chests, bemoaning "he didn't get it!!!!!!!" the same way Snyder hardcores do to just about any critic.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Really, the problem with adaptations of Watchmen is that they’re all done by huge loving nerds who treat it with reverence that is not appropriate. The best parts of the HBO sequel are when they’re making the characters from the original look like stupid assholes.

This show's some hardcore copaganda. I liked it well enough and the show treating the original characters like baffoons was definitely my favorite part. They were just old and tired and done with everything which made them so incompetent.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Microcline posted:

Ok so in your own words, can you please explain how Snyders work is Randian?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I don't want to get involved with the rest of this mess, but I'm losing my mind that someone would consider Zach Snyder's movies as mature. :psyduck:

I enjoy them fine, but they're solidly in the teen level of maturity.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They're actually Randian reinterpretations of Watchmen using Kant's categorical imperatives to claim that 9/11 was an inside job, but we need a war with Iran anyway. In this video essay, I will show how the rule of threes was broken on accident.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
its dumb as hell that pa kent killed himself for no reason in a tornado. also there was a line where the lady military lady was all ''oooh baby superman is SEXY!'' and that sucked. this is in the superman movie

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

but what if superman was sexy

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weirdly enough poo poo like that was why i couldnt get into Jurassic park. i always liked the book more because it potrays John Hammond as an amoral rear end in a top hat who takes short cuts and is a dickhead tycoon/weirdo. painting him as some jolly caring dude makes me wonder how he sleeps at night. like how many people died and turned into dino poo poo. like sure the blame can be placed on "bad corperations" but jesus. also i hate the new ones because they always felt weirdly cruel. like that loving minute long secretary death, like wtf was that poo poo. i guess i own enough lizards to know they don't play with their food for like 10 minutes.
John Hammond in the movie is much more Carnegie in the movies than Walt Disney in the books; Scottish Industrialist who is obsessed with dinosaurs who had much worse people under him that were responsible for disasters that lead to mass death.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Bingo Cop Metis posted:

but what if superman was sexy

i mean yeah but it was more 'oh the competent professional lady has to be out of character horny as a joke in the end? of the movie'

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farg posted:

i mean yeah but it was more 'oh the competent professional lady has to be out of character horny as a joke in the end? of the movie'

If you wouldn't be horny in the presence of that Superman I'd question if you had a pulse

Roth posted:

They're actually Randian reinterpretations of Watchmen using Kant's categorical imperatives to claim that 9/11 was an inside job, but we need a war with Iran anyway. In this video essay, I will show how the rule of threes was broken on accident.

lol nice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still definitely swore that the 'Darkseid being punched through buildings' part of the cartoon was from a simulation or fake planet or something. Totally didn't think they were on Earth because as far as I'm aware Darkseid showing up on Earth is rare.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The first Jurassic Park is actually rather tame. The most extreme thing that happens is Arnold's severed arm.

Compared to the book where Wu is still alive while his intestines get spilled everywhere by a raptor, or Nedry having his head crushed by a dinosaur's foot and that movie could have easily been an R-rating if they wanted.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I still definitely swore that the 'Darkseid being punched through buildings' part of the cartoon was from a simulation or fake planet or something. Totally didn't think they were on Earth because as far as I'm aware Darkseid showing up on Earth is rare.

For a fight, yes.

To sit on some guy's armchair, all the drat time.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Matt Baume talks about a juicy trend in commercials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jlavonpaBY

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 28, 2020

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

R rated home alone that's the 2 hours of story and then the kid dies setting up one if his own traps.

Is there a youtube channel, but its just elaborate rube goldberg machines? Preferably without dead children.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Is there a youtube channel, but its just elaborate rube goldberg machines? Preferably without dead children.

Just search "Dominoes", there's probably something there.

Or watch a longplay of The Incredible Machine, I guess.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

RareAcumen posted:

It's the finale of JLU, Darkseid comes back from the dead and only gets defeated by a deus Lex machina.

Also the Watchmen comic is a. extremely violent all the way through from literally the first scene and b. way smarter than saying "violence isn't cool" because Alan Moore isn't a Chick-tract writing hack.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

In the Timm animated one, it was Saturday so all those buildings were empty.

lol the old DBZ dub used this exact excuse when Vegeta destroyed an entire city.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

It was the big series finale. Spoilers for an old rear end cartoon I guess: Lex Luthor spent the entire final season going desperately trying to bring Braniac back to life after having spent a prior season merged with him and turned into a symbiotic ultimate life form sort of deal. What he accidentally does is bring back Darkseid fused with Braniac because in like the first season Darkseid loving dies along with Braniac when the asteroid they're on blows up and their bits just get mulched together in space. So the Darkseid that shows up to take over earth out of sheer spiteful revenge is super charged, basically, and the villains and heroes unite to fight off his invading army. IIRC that specific scene plays out after the other heroes evacuate the city and they explicitly tell superman to just take him out because as far as they know superman cutting completely loose is the only thing they have that could possibly even compare to Darkseid.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I do like the film version, mainly as it gives the Hammond character a sliver of Frankenstein esque tragedy. It still manages to bring in the corporate nobhead character with Gennaro, who in the book is far more decent. The cruelty has always been there, but yes was definently ramped up for the sequels. Nedry's death for example was drawn out but he was a somewhat villainous character, Eddie Carr and Secretary lady were innocent. I didn't mind the secretary lady death too much as it fit with the film's anarchic tone. The first three JP films set things out in a realistic, "what if this were to happen" kind of way with the dinosaurs portrayed like real animals. The JW films embrace camp and eccentricity and the dinosaurs come off as movie monsters and are far more anthropomorphic. It is a different take, probably an inferior one, but I enjoyed both for what they were.

The problem with MOS is it doesn't show the consequences. The film ends with a happy "well done Superman" ending despite the mass destruction and wants to pretend all those people didn't die, Clark certainly doesn't acknowledge any if the deaths. It is very much not interested at all in examining the human cost, which makes it come off as quite shallow in its destruction.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lobster22221 posted:

Sprice Machines is good for breathtakingly long setups using household elements.

https://youtu.be/7VODC7nFrYs

Kaplamino is also a favorite of mine. Much shorter tabletop setups, but they also use some really risky tricks, sometimes even involving fire.

https://youtu.be/yldlBIZeQ2w

And even though I’d say marble machines are distinctly different from Rube Goldberg machines, I’d feel remiss if I didn’t mention Wintergatan, who made a musical marble machine 4 years ago and since then has spent all his time working on a new version of the machine that’s robust enough to take on tour.

https://youtu.be/IvUU8joBb1Q

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Karloff posted:

I do like the film version, mainly as it gives the Hammond character a sliver of Frankenstein esque tragedy. It still manages to bring in the corporate nobhead character with Gennaro, who in the book is far more decent. The cruelty has always been there, but yes was definently ramped up for the sequels. Nedry's death for example was drawn out but he was a somewhat villainous character, Eddie Carr and Secretary lady were innocent. I didn't mind the secretary lady death too much as it fit with the film's anarchic tone. The first three JP films set things out in a realistic, "what if this were to happen" kind of way with the dinosaurs portrayed like real animals. The JW films embrace camp and eccentricity and the dinosaurs come off as movie monsters and are far more anthropomorphic. It is a different take, probably an inferior one, but I enjoyed both for what they were.

The problem with MOS is it doesn't show the consequences. The film ends with a happy "well done Superman" ending despite the mass destruction and wants to pretend all those people didn't die, Clark certainly doesn't acknowledge any if the deaths. It is very much not interested at all in examining the human cost, which makes it come off as quite shallow in its destruction.

Batman v. Superman does a great job of taking Man of Steel to task for its horrifying climax and showing what a disinterested, irresponsible sociopath Snyder's Superman is all without saying barely a word... and then it devolves into being Batman v. Superman, but still.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

nine-gear crow posted:

Batman v. Superman does a great job of taking Man of Steel to task for its horrifying climax and showing what a disinterested, irresponsible sociopath Snyder's Superman is all without saying barely a word... and then it devolves into being Batman v. Superman, but still.

I can definitely see why someone would not like the conflicting tones in the ending of MoS.

I’m having trouble with “Superman did a bad job protecting the city in his fight with Zod, therefore he’s an emotionless sociopath who hates all life”, though.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
henry cavill is like the concept of watching paint dry anthropomorphized

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Georg Rockall-Schmidt discusses product placement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQClrlzbekU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Equeen posted:

I can definitely see why someone would not like the conflicting tones in the ending of MoS.

I’m having trouble with “Superman did a bad job protecting the city in his fight with Zod, therefore he’s an emotionless sociopath who hates all life”, though.

Yeah, Cavill's Superman is a character who is constantly second-guessing himself. There's definitely some tonal whiplash at the end of MoS when it jumps to the drone scene but right before that he's definitely pretty upset about things.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JordanKai posted:

I am once again begging for a moratorium on posting MovieBob tweets Zack Snyder. Please... :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Karloff posted:

They did a whole movie about the consequences, it was called Batman v Superman, perhaps you heard of it?

nine-gear crow posted:

See, this is the exact weird hyperbole I'm talking about. Mos goes to great lengths to show Superman as the kind of person who innately wants to help and can't stand by while others get hurt, but because he was unable (key word, unable, not unwilling) to stop property damage he's a irresponsible sociopath?

It's like they're ascribing Superman with omnipotence, he didn't save everyone, this must clearly be because he didn't care, and not because he was unable to, because something something hypercompentent violence something something hypercompentent randian sociopath hypercompentent ctrl alt delete :thunk:

McCloud fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 28, 2020