Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

I have a pair of running tights, that I’ll try today. Im inclined to wear them over my bib shorts cause I’m thinking the chamois needs to be in contact with my bum to reduce friction?

Gonna try out with a thick pair of socks, don’t have overshoes atm, but only doing a short ride, 1,5 hrs at most, so I’m hoping it’ll be fine.
Asked a proper pair of cycling gloves from Santa, gonna try with fingerless gloves first and bring a pair of leather ones as a back up. It’s currently 7 C out, we’ll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

jamal posted:

Something like those big lobster gloves would be nice but am unsure on how that's going to work on the mtb where I want my middle finger around the bars.

I have a pair of these hybrid lobsters that I really like for when things get below freezing. Haven't used them on the MTB, but they're a godsend for Shimano road shifters.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Just got back, only thing that got cold are my toes. Running tights worked fine over the bibs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Latex gloves over the front of your socks works extremely well for cheap/emergency toe warmers. I always carry a couple sets in winter for repairs/numb bits.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Latex gloves over the front of your socks works extremely well for cheap/emergency toe warmers. I always carry a couple sets in winter for repairs/numb bits.

Always heard of using latex gloves as glove liners and grocery bags/ziploc bags over your feet.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

That works too but I carry gloves for repairs anyway and they are easy to reuse if you put them over your socks

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah just tights over top is pretty good way to go, I did that for a long time before finally getting the bibs. I have a pair of garneau tights that have some windstopper type material over the knees and a raised waist in the back which are pretty good, and I think they were like $45 on a sale rack. Bib tights with a chamois is better though.

I was complaining about my new fancy *cycling specific* jacket, but something like a slimmer fitting softshell works just fine. Previously my go-to in colder weather was a salmon jacket made for xc skiing and running.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 28, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wow the screen died on my elemnt boot after six weeks and zero rain

piece of shiiiiit

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i put my thermal running tights under my bibs because im chaotic evil

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

BraveUlysses posted:

wow the screen died on my elemnt boot after six weeks and zero rain

piece of shiiiiit

Maybe you should have got a elemnt boat, BTW mine is 3years old and going strong,

numberoneposter posted:

i put my thermal running tights under my bibs because im chaotic evil

I find I catch the crotch on my tights on the front of my saddle when I sit down, hence wearing them under my shorts.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

honestly yah i think under the shorts is the better way to do it even if its seems wrong

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for road shoes? My feet are a little narrow with slightly high arches. I'm looking for something with plenty of room to set the cleats back from the back of my foot. Also, does anyone have a link to that chart that compared different brand's sizing?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gonna ride tomorrow in ~36 F weather

excited to wear my leg warmers and look dumb as poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I want to ride outside tomorrow but plague. On track for 400mi of internet bikes in the past two weeks :[

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Anyone got recommendations for some warm streetshoes for pedalin'? Warm socks not cutting it.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

sweat poteto posted:

Roubaix bib tights (eg), a long sleeve thermal jersey and a wind shell would be enough for moderate temps like that. Add a base layer for below 5.

Sealskinz are my go to for winter gloves. But if I lost them tomorrow, I'd probably go try one of those knit ones like theirs or the Showers Pass version.

Once the topstone is in, we should go run around Marshall Mesa to break it in.

Dirty Bismarck loop?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

So my gravel bike (All-City Gorilla Monsoon) has a Shimano GRX 1x11 setup with a 38t chainring and a 11-46 cassette. I'd love to get even more climbing ratio out of it, but according to Shimano the biggest the RD can accept is 46t. The cranks and chainring are a FSA direct-mount, and i've been thinking of going to a 36t or 34t for a bit until I get stronger. Is it possible to swap this without swapping the cranks? Is the mounting standard so I can use any shimano-compatible chainring? Is this even a good idea?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You'd be climbing walls on 38/46 anyway. I don't think it'd be worth it to mess with that setup at all.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

luminalflux posted:

Is the mounting standard so I can use any shimano-compatible chainring?

Lol, cute!

You’d buy something like one of these.

36x11 is a really low max gear ratio though.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 29, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You'd be climbing walls on 38/46 anyway. I don't think it'd be worth it to mess with that setup at all.

It’s a bit less gearing on the low end compared to the 3x9 it replaced and I’ve been missing it a bit on rides here in the LA hills

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got recommendations for some warm streetshoes for pedalin'? Warm socks not cutting it.

As in not cycling specific? I work in a warehouse turned bike shop with a tiled floor that exaggerates the outside temps and wear Supra Vaider CW for work, they were cheap somewhere. Otherwise Vans MTE are good and always on clearance if you look around and aren't too fussed with colours. There seems to be a good range of winter skate shoes around, Etnies also do some I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
May God strike us down

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5f-B1wAp0s/?igshid=17yebloouy1ql

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

sunday brunch posted:

As in not cycling specific? I work in a warehouse turned bike shop with a tiled floor that exaggerates the outside temps and wear Supra Vaider CW for work, they were cheap somewhere. Otherwise Vans MTE are good and always on clearance if you look around and aren't too fussed with colours. There seems to be a good range of winter skate shoes around, Etnies also do some I think.

Yeah I was thinking of some vans. My daily drivers are nike trainers and the breathability is a problem when it's cold and moving on the bike.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

One (giant fat wooden) Spoke To Rule Them All

I'd ride it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Yeah I was thinking of some vans. My daily drivers are nike trainers and the breathability is a problem when it's cold and moving on the bike.
I've never owned Chrome shoes but I think they are similar but sturdier. Also I've never owned Vans.

https://www.chromeindustries.com/footwear/sneakers/

My favorite non-cleat shoe for cycling are actually my friggin birks on account of how stiff and flat the sole is. But obviously they have maximum breathability.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Got invited today to do a route that I do often, but at night. Managed to keep pace with the group on a gravel bike, and not only did I set my best time on the way up, but also on the way down.

I guess I go faster if I can't see where I'm going. My light choise was inadecuate.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

I've never owned Chrome shoes but I think they are similar but sturdier. Also I've never owned Vans.

https://www.chromeindustries.com/footwear/sneakers/

My favorite non-cleat shoe for cycling are actually my friggin birks on account of how stiff and flat the sole is. But obviously they have maximum breathability.

oh dang these look niiice. i've had a few pairs of vans and their build quality is poo poo imo. thanks bruv.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I recently retired my first pair of Chrome Dima shoes to yard duty and bought another pair. Good stuff.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Chinatown posted:

oh dang these look niiice. i've had a few pairs of vans and their build quality is poo poo imo. thanks bruv.

They are nice and sturdy and it sucks they don't make them with cleats anymore because I finally wore mine out enough to want to replace.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So after fifteen years of riding in San Francisco and several attempts by would be thieves my vintage Schwinn Le Tour (worth $2000+ with parts) fixie was finally stolen when my building was burglarized Thanksgiving night. This cuts especially deep because I'd just spent $500 and several months rebuilding my wheelset after a previous burglary. I was luckily able to get a good deal on a complete bike that will get me back on the road but I have a bunch of components I'm going to want to replace. I was hoping for suggestions for reliable distributors for fixed gear parts. Namely I'm looking for a Chris King headset and a good red anodized 44-48T crankset. Later on down the road I'm going to be building a new wheelset and want to go with Phil Woods hubs with either Velocity Deep V or B43 rims. Any suggestions would be welcome. For those curious this is what I got.

https://bildabike.com/product/50cm-nyc-messenger-factory-closeout-eta-july-1st-preorder-for-discount/

I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the old hipster bike.

Edit: RIP Hipster bike 9000

James Woods fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 1, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

James Woods posted:

So after fifteen years of riding in San Francisco and several attempts by would be thieves my vintage Schwinn Le Tour (worth $2000+ with parts) fixie was finally stolen when my building was burglarized Thanksgiving night. This cuts especially deep because I'd just spent $500 and several months rebuilding my wheelset after a previous burglary. I was luckily able to get a good deal on a complete bike that will get me back on the road but I have a bunch of components I'm going to want to replace. I was hoping for suggestions for reliable distributors for fixed gear parts. Namely I'm looking for a Chris King headset and a good red anodized 44-48T crankset. Later on down the road I'm going to be building a new wheelset and want to go with Phil Woods hubs with either Velocity Deep V or B43 rims. Any suggestions would be welcome. For those curious this is what I got.

https://bildabike.com/product/50cm-nyc-messenger-factory-closeout-eta-july-1st-preorder-for-discount/

I'll see if I can dig up a picture of the old hipster bike.

Holy moley how is that tiny bike 30 pounds? I love that they advertise it as fitting up to 5'9", too, lmao.

The parts you're looking for aren't esoteric in any way, so you don't really need a fixed-gear focused retailer. If you don't feel like buying from your local shop, but do want to buy from a fixie e-retailer, retrogression is good.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

bicievino posted:

Holy moley how is that tiny bike 30 pounds? I love that they advertise it as fitting up to 5'9", too, lmao.

The parts you're looking for aren't esoteric in any way, so you don't really need a fixed-gear focused retailer. If you don't feel like buying from your local shop, but do want to buy from a fixie e-retailer, retrogression is good.

Yeah it's not exactly light but I'm coming from a steel frame so it shouldn't be too bad. Later on down the road I'll probably upgrade to a Unknown or if I feel like spending some real money a LOW. I'd love to give business to my local brick and mortar shops but unfortunately parts are super dry all over the city.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

James Woods posted:

Yeah it's not exactly light but I'm coming from a steel frame so it shouldn't be too bad. Later on down the road I'll probably upgrade to a Unknown or if I feel like spending some real money a LOW. I'd love to give business to my local brick and mortar shops but unfortunately parts are super dry all over the city.

squid is just over the bridge

https://www.squidbikes.com/collections/ready-made/products/so-ez-gold-splatter-size-52

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hi bike thread, in addition to the original trash kit reorders happening after the holidays, I've been working on a follow on, this is what I have so far.

I will probably tweak a few more things but it's most of the way there I feel.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I will probably tweak a few more things but it's most of the way there I feel.
I'm not a big fan of the left hand covering the H.
Those brand-font trash food sponsors look amazing

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

evil_bunnY posted:

I'm not a big fan of the left hand covering the H.
Those brand-font trash food sponsors look amazing

I’m just working from the source material

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

There's a Batavia Champion steel bike from the 90s for a pittance on my FB marketplace. It's single speed. I know objectively it's not worth it, but would it be at all worth picking it up and rebuilding it with a random used Campy group for a COVID project? How much will it suck to do vs will it be fun at all to ride?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

There's a Batavia Champion steel bike from the 90s for a pittance on my FB marketplace. It's single speed. I know objectively it's not worth it, but would it be at all worth picking it up and rebuilding it with a random used Campy group for a COVID project? How much will it suck to do vs will it be fun at all to ride?

Batavus Champion? I had one for awhile. It’s not a particularly good bike and you’re going to sink in a bunch of money on out of date standards.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Batavus Champion? I had one for awhile. It’s not a particularly good bike and you’re going to sink in a bunch of money on out of date standards.

Yeah, Batavus -- autocorrected. Kinda what I figured. I live in a pretty remote area so old steel project bikes don't come around too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A project like that is going to be 100% how you feel about it, I doubt any of us could give any meaningful input. For the little money you're talking about, why not go for it? Worst-case, you sink a couple of hundred (??) into something you can donate or turn into an Art or something.