Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't think i can cram a whole different trilogy in between there. They're not old enough to keep their storys straight after taking a short three movie detour!

Those kids can read. They now that there are more Star-Wars movies. Just lol if you think i can keep those movies away from then now that i hooked them on this stuff!

The Clone Wars show is set during II? Or was it between I and II?

between two and three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Clone Wars is set between 2 and 3.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Prequels bad

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sequels bad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Originals bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If we accept that the prequel trilogy, original trilogy, and sequel trilogy are all bad it leaves us with the same fact I claimed before, of "Star Wars" only the letter W is good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I seem to remember the Star Wars Rebels cartoon being decent as well. Out of curiosity though, where does it take place in the timeline? Sometime prior to Rogue One?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Larryb posted:

I seem to remember the Star Wars Rebels cartoon being decent as well. Out of curiosity though, where does it take place in the timeline? Sometime prior to Rogue One?

Starts ~5 years before Rogue One / ANH, finishes right around them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Anyone who watches them for the first time ever in a different order than they were released is ruining their experience.

Completely ruins one of the most monumental moments in cinema.

My brother showed his son the movies in release order recently, and did the whole "film his reaction to the twist in ESB" thing, and my nephew said, "...like Emperor Zurg and Buzz Lightyear!" so Toy Story 2 hosed that one up for him. Which is hilarious.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I only just watched the last three episodes of The Clone Wars and they really are something. Even lifting scenes straight from Episode 3 into the narrative they manage far more effectively to capture a sense of mounting dread and inevitable calamity as events reach a crescendo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Jihad Joe posted:

Prequels bad

Prequels hate is the only reason we didn't get to hear the line "Execute Order 67" in ROS, so consider the costs of your reckless contempt.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Barudak posted:

If we accept that the prequel trilogy, original trilogy, and sequel trilogy are all bad it leaves us with the same fact I claimed before, of "Star Wars" only the letter W is good.

A look at a Star Wars thread in a more just world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJcdpKYIFKs

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 27, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Prequels hate is the only reason we didn't get to hear the line "Execute Order 67" in ROS, so consider the costs of your reckless contempt.

There was an execute order 66 fan service line though

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ROS sheev was reciting some of his greatest prequel hits verbatim

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"The Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities some may consider to be unnatural."

...which explains zilch about how or why he's back and we got more exposition out of a background character who mentions dark science and cloning

top-notch writing, best of the films, let that be the new Star Wars standard

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in regards to the end, if they weren’t going to use the young Palpatine actor that was rumored why not just have him turn back into pre-makeup Ian McDiarmid instead?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pospysyl posted:

Sequel hate is why we got rise of skywalker

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lampsacus posted:

This is a very good post and has changed my mind on the sequel films. My current watch order is:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Solo
Rogue One
Episode 4
Episode 6
Never watch:
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9

You don't watch Empire?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to the end, if they weren’t going to use the young Palpatine actor that was rumored why not just have him turn back into pre-makeup Ian McDiarmid instead?

The legendary power of the Dyad can conjure new robes from nothing, but it can't moisturize.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pospysyl posted:

I'm still wish we didn't got Hayden in Force Awakens for when Ren confers with the Vader helmet+pile of ashes of incinerated folks it sits on. IIRC the conversation would have been along the lines of Luke's early dialogue in TLJ about the Jedi being chump that let Sidious take over easily because they were too full of themselves.

Hell I would have preferred his ghost popping up in TLJ instead of Yoda. I mean Yoda trained him but was still like, yup, gotta have this guy kill Vader so me and Obi-Wan can feel right about the world again. This is the guy you're taking your force advice from?!?!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I watched mst3k yesterday and thought about what it would be like for Disney to buy it and give it a 300 million dollar movie budget. Then I realized we already got that with TFA and Boyega's character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I watched mst3k yesterday and thought about what it would be like for Disney to buy it and give it a 300 million dollar movie budget. Then I realized we already got that with TFA and Boyega's character.

I forget about Revenge of the Sith but, even as a prequel liker I gotta say the Rifftrax of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are great and have some GOAT level material from them

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It might be interesting to watch Solo/R1/Star Wars as a trilogy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Shai-Hulud posted:

I don't think i can cram a whole different trilogy in between there. They're not old enough to keep their storys straight after taking a short three movie detour!

Then yeah just keep it release order, you can always introduce the prequels as "wanna know why/how Anakin became a cyborg!?" Or whatever

If you don't mind I'm curious which editions of the OT they watched

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ingmar terdman posted:

It might be interesting to watch Solo/R1/Star Wars as a trilogy

trilogies generally have any common features at all. this is like watching battle: la, district 9, and aliens as a trilogy, and that trilogy at least has three good movies rather than two

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Solo was a fun romp

Not a particularly good Star Wars movie, but fun nonetheless

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The guys playing young Han and Lando (I forget their names) were pretty well cast anyway.

It’s not a great film in my opinion but I would at least call it a watchable one with some fun moments.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Star Wars 1-6 are pretty good movies. If you enjoy them you might like The Clone Wars/Rebels.

Sorry to blast a hot take in here like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I would actually call the Clone Wars series to be one of the best things to come out of the prequels and Rebels is decent as well. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for Resistance in regards to the sequels.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 28, 2020

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Vinylshadow posted:

Solo was a fun romp

Not a particularly good Star Wars movie, but fun nonetheless

It had some great moments in isolation but it was godawful in almost every aspect

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Give me a movie that wraps up Starwars Republic Commando you cowards!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want the loving lord and Miller cut. You can’t call some of the most brilliant minds idiot Disney and them turn around and push out fuckin spider-verse.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wonder what would happen if you used younger Han and Lando to go through some of Star Wars's goofier aspects

Like giant space otters, or Waru

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

Wonder what would happen if you used younger Han and Lando to go through some of Star Wars's goofier aspects

Like giant space otters, or Waru

You'd probably get some fun, weird stories. I'm not sure what else could possibly happen. Like, rioting in the streets? Unlikely.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

More Star Wars, of any kind, really, be it adventures of Han and Lando prior to ANH, Luke's post-RotJ mission to learn about the Jedi, or adventures out in the unknown regions with Ahsoka, Sabine, Ezra, and Thrawn

Hell, I'll even take Rey, Finn, and Poe running around in the year between TLJ and ROS so they can actually be a trio like Han/Luke/Leia and Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme

There's no shortage of stories to be had, that's for sure

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

More Star Wars, of any kind, really, be it adventures of Han and Lando prior to ANH, Luke's post-RotJ mission to learn about the Jedi, or adventures out in the unknown regions with Ahsoka, Sabine, Ezra, and Thrawn

Hell, I'll even take Rey, Finn, and Poe running around in the year between TLJ and ROS so they can actually be a trio like Han/Luke/Leia and Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme

There's no shortage of stories to be had, that's for sure

Not sure about Rey but haven’t Finn and Poe’s actors basically gone on record as saying they’re never coming back to Star Wars?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Not sure about Rey but haven’t Finn and Poe’s actors basically gone on record as saying they’re never coming back to Star Wars?

Boyega would, if they treated Finn better in the writing

I imagine Oscar and Daisy wouldn't protest too much either

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oscar Isaac said he would never come back to Disney, but then signed onto the MCU. I don’t blame the guy, Disney will soon be the only movie company, but he called out Disney, not Star Wars, and that didn’t last. Money is money.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on disney's side for now, outside of the mandalorian we're in the last gasps of the sequel era before 100% of the focus turns to the old republic anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on disney's side for now, outside of the mandalorian we're in the last gasps of the sequel era before 100% of the focus turns to the old republic anyway

Still a shame Wheat Loaf self-banned and will never get the apologies they deserve