Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
So I've read that theorizing multiple times on how CIG can't do what EA does in terms of moneygrabbing and I still don't get it.
They simply propose that "because backers" CIG can't risk doing it, but I can't see any thread of reasoning that ties those 2 thoughts together. CIG already has your money, so let's pretend that the game releases and OH NO, CIG puts in lootboxes. At this point their business model is identical to EA lootboxes, the fact that the game was developed using crowdfunding instead of publisher money makes no difference at all.

The people complaining online about lootboxes may seem loud but the fact is that FIFA money continues to pour in from the people that just quietly buy the game and play it for hundreds of hours while not being extremely online.

I would think that CIG would not be too concerned about microtransaction complaints when tens of thousands of people have spent a minimum of $200-ish already on a game that doesn't even function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Fidelitious posted:

So I've read that theorizing multiple times on how CIG can't do what EA does in terms of moneygrabbing and I still don't get it.
They simply propose that "because backers" CIG can't risk doing it, but I can't see any thread of reasoning that ties those 2 thoughts together. CIG already has your money, so let's pretend that the game releases and OH NO, CIG puts in lootboxes. At this point their business model is identical to EA lootboxes, the fact that the game was developed using crowdfunding instead of publisher money makes no difference at all.

The people complaining online about lootboxes may seem loud but the fact is that FIFA money continues to pour in from the people that just quietly buy the game and play it for hundreds of hours while not being extremely online.

I would think that CIG would not be too concerned about microtransaction complaints when tens of thousands of people have spent a minimum of $200-ish already on a game that doesn't even function.

Lootboxes will be physicalized. You will have to pick them up in the Lootbox Decks. When you try to open it, you may clip through the floor. You cannot even try to make a joke about lootboxes and money here because citizens already payed for loving land claims, not even land. They will eat them up and praise CIG for allowing them to make another record year in money made

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

smellmycheese posted:

As a noob to playing in the exciting space world visions of Christopher Croberts this stumped me last week. I got as far as the landing pads and ordered up a 300(?!??) I think. I then spent a good 10 minutes waking around the loving thing clicking on any and every surface to try to get in and the only thing I could find that was clickable was this dumb loving box on the side. I suppose I could have googled for the answer to how to do something as obtuse, obscure and arcane as actually getting into your spaceship in a goddamn space shooty game but frankly I couldn’t be arsed and just logged out.

It's hard to believe, but that's the redesigned 300i which is actually significantly easier to get into than the first iteration lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ryan archer does it again, that incredible visionary

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

New Reboot cartoon looks a little weird

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Taintrunner posted:

Ryan archer does it again, that incredible visionary

I've been wondering for ages what it meant in this thread when people say that something has been "Archered". Now I know!

For anyone else who needs a refresher:

http://ryanarcher.n8logic.net/2016/art-controversy/#more-181

Ryan Archer posted:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They still haven't figured out natural secondary motions with the hands and fingers. This guy is always waving a straight fingered open palm around like his arms end in sticks.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sarsapariller posted:

So uh,

There is some kind of aUEC generation exploit now

This was always going to happen eventually- because the ships are so expensive, it's way way cheaper to spend 30 bucks or whatever to buy millions of exploited in-game currency and then buy the ship in-game. With money like that on the table and CryEngine's poo poo code, there was no way somebody wasn't going to figure this out.

For reference, the CIG store price for credits is $1 = 1k. The Ebay price is $1 = 1mil. You could buy the $600 hammerhead in-game for 12 actual dollars. :lol:

lmao Star Citizer is paypal2win

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hey MoMA:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dial A For Awesome posted:

As noted economist Lethality pointed out on the previous page, the price of everything always rises over time. If you had had the foresight to buy those games in the ‘90’s you’d have only paid a nickel.

I'm glad I listened to those commercials back in the 70's to buy commemorative dinner plates!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1332121685030408193

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sure right after they revisit the other, like, 80 ships that need revamps. And right after they revisit the others that aren't even in the game. And, most realistically, right after they release yet more previously-unannaounced ships for people to buy and fly right away.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

"Fearsome bounty hunter" and it's the space equivalent of this guy

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XekNLGms.jpg[/img]"]If you don't open more systems, now, you will push back development years and it's already going to take a dozen as it is. Do you really want this to come out in 2028?

Also, that's incorrect. Montreal is working on expanding the StarMap, not making more systems.

quote:

:thinking_face: you dont need to build up to a 100 person studio over the next 3 years to work on a map. they are building the star systems O_o

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XekNLGms.jpg[/img]"]They have ZERO experience building such a thing. CIG has taken away such duties from other outside contractors. There is no way that Montreal is building star systems. They likely mistook the the context. Turbulent made our StarMap and that StarMap is to be integrated into the game. These are the star systems they are working on, not for the PU. CIG wouldn't make the same mistake they made with Illfonic.

quote:

pls read this :sweat_smile: https://wccftech.com/turbulent-founds-star-citizen-studio/ it contains direct quotes from CIG

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XekNLGms.jpg[/img]"]I know what it says, but I'm telling you that it is wrong. It was incorrectly quoted, or misinterpreted. There is ZERO chance that Turbulent is making systems for the PU. Being in charge of something they have never done before is beyond insane. I don't care what developers they bring in, they aren't qualified to oversee this.

The "Montreal has an amazing talent pool of developers and a rich video game history..." should give you pause. Montreal has been the center of mediocrity in gaming for over a decade. If this is true, this will set back CIG 2-3 years, just like Illfonic did. I just don't see CIG making the same mistake twice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. Honked posted:

I've been wondering for ages what it meant in this thread when people say that something has been "Archered". Now I know!

For anyone else who needs a refresher:

http://ryanarcher.n8logic.net/2016/art-controversy/#more-181

Ah, brings back memories of the Warlord loading up his credit card during the Archer/avatar/ignore fiasco.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Qwertycoatl posted:

How persistent is the persistent universe? Is a ship bought with funbux just as "real" (yeah I know) as a ship bought with real money or will it be deleted at some server reset?

About as democratic as the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Fun at 5 frames per second.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

UnknownTarget posted:

They still haven't figured out natural secondary motions with the hands and fingers. This guy is always waving a straight fingered open palm around like his arms end in sticks.

Don't shame people wearing prosthethics That's what they were aiming for, right??

Ah yes. You see this official statement by contractor for CIG saying what they're be doing for them? They got it wrong, they're opening a new studio to make a map :smuggo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Next patch we can regatta through some gas clouds...should make for great screens and footage.

Whoa there! That's surely worth the $950 price of admission.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
These whale regattas. Do you think they take turns crewing on each other's ships so they can pretend to be the captain and order their plebe crew around?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Popete posted:

These whale regattas. Do you think they take turns crewing on each other's ships so they can pretend to be the captain and order their plebe crew around?

Of course not, can't have a ship with nine captains.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

What if I had all my money invested in trapper keepers?

If you did not cover it in stickers and badly drawn horses you were a loser. :3:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

DigitalPenny posted:

I love how you can buy it now for a 10% discount when it's already 10% of the price

Qwertycoatl posted:

How persistent is the persistent universe? Is a ship bought with funbux just as "real" (yeah I know) as a ship bought with real money or will it be deleted at some server reset?

Sorry, I should have emphasized- do not buy the ebay aUEC. In any other game I'd say "Because it's hacked and they'll find it and ban you," but let's be realistic here. Chris will never figure it out. However, CIG reserves the right to just reset your poo poo at any point. They've promised to do so less frequently but anything you buy with in-game currency will eventually get wiped. Also, the game is a grotesque mockery of better products and does not deserve any amount of your money.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
So I installed this garbage fire with one goal in mind. Making it to the expo. Any guesses on how far I got? All done? Okay here it is:

First I walked out of the apartments or hotel or whatever and saw this:

Okay, not a good sign.

Then I got on the hyperloop (lol) to try and get to the expo. I got in, nearly experienced a seizure because some rear end in a top hat lined the hyperloop with lights and put windows in the car. Okay...

Get to the next station and......

The doors won't open! I spent another three trips on this stupid seizureloop for the doors to not open each time I arrived at the expo station.

Well, that was fun.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

UnknownTarget posted:

Motion capture doesn't usually capture stuff like hand motions. You need to animate that by hand.

Though I figure they have experience here, but maybe this was banged out super fast or something.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

They undress their avatars and walk into the translucent plane that is the pool water and stand in it pretending to give each other champagne salutes.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Here's how these things typically go:

1) 2 weeks to spread "Awareness" of the event, maybe more, depending on how expensive your ship is. In this case they are doing it with the free rented version, only available at the expo today and tomorrow, so it might have been a spur of the moment thing. Otherwise it is more-or-less impossible to get this many 1000-dollar whale chariots together under any circumstances.

2) About 2-3 hours for all of the players to spawn in and fly to the moon, plus time to account for about half the ships exploding on the way there, and needing to be reclaimed. The more expensive the ship the longer the reclaim time, so again, 1000+ dollar whale chariots make this VERY tedious. This particular set of Citizens wisely rented the ship, took the elevator right upstairs to the hangars, and spawned it immediately, rendezvousing right outside on the ice, so they also eliminated the need for this step.

3) Mill around for 15 minutes. If you have a real drill-sergeant of a streamer organizing things, he will probably have you noclip-hover into formation but otherwise you're just going to form a small blob of spaceships. Everyone takes screenshots to post on the sub/twitter about the infinite possibilities of the game. Usually around the 15 minute mark, somebody rams somebody else and ships begin to die. Nobody shoots guns because the bigger the ship the less likely the pilot even has access to any. This yacht, for example, only has manned turrets. So it's just ramming left and right.

4) That's it. You can't actually do anything with a bunch of ships in the game. Anybody who died to ramming is now respawned in loving Andromeda, and the event won't last the 40 minutes it takes for them to get back, and nobody wants to come sit in your jacuzzi or whatever because they already have those screenshots from their own jacuzzis. The streamer will probably want all of you to like, formation-fly through the city for the benefit of other Citizens, but your event is literally eating the capacity of the entire server. There is nobody else.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Popete posted:

These are 100% "one guy flying an 890J that he owns/rented" lol. There are absolutely 0 people crewing these things for these meetups.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ah, brings back memories of the Warlord loading up his credit card during the Archer/avatar/ignore fiasco.

lol my guy really said "I'll never post here again if you don't stop talking about Ryan Archer."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The final big spaceship of the expo is out for sale and it's one of the more blatant cash-grabs I've ever seen them do. $600 new-money-only, $675 for store currency, it is not even a capital ship but it's "Designed to hunt them" and costs as much as one.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

The final big spaceship of the expo is out for sale and it's one of the more blatant cash-grabs I've ever seen them do. $600 new-money-only, $675 for store currency, it is not even a capital ship but it's "Designed to hunt them" and costs as much as one.

:laffo: you gotta be kidding me. Those giant chariots these people paid real money for, that is supposed to put them at the top of the pack permanently, are their big money makers. So they release a ship specifically designed to take them out. I wish this game actually existed and would come out, CIG has no shame, this is Lord of the Flies with manchildren and spaceships.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Luckily you'll never run into other players so you won't have to be worry about your yacht getting blown up (from combat at least).

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

lmao it's literally a baby Idris that follows their absolutely moronic "rock paper scissors" design philosophy. It'll "kill capital ships" (it won't, that would make the whales mad) but be completely defenseless against fighters (fighters will not be able to penetrate its shields, that would make the whales mad).

Amazing

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How well are the developers paid at this company? How experienced are they? Why would you work there? The culture? The fulfilling work? Surely all that cash is being funneled to employees.. right?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Can we make anime bannable again?

I came here to quote this

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Also, I've had a pineapple/pizza conversion

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m loving the 5-10 FPS (I’m sure Eve scale battles are coming soon), and the no-clip flight model giving no sense of motion or flying what is essentially a giant brick through an atmosphere.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

toggle posted:

How well are the developers paid at this company? How experienced are they? Why would you work there? The culture? The fulfilling work? Surely all that cash is being funneled to employees.. right?

Devs are paid well below industry standard and treated very poorly, based on internal leaks. Anyone with more than a year of experience left ages ago, and they are basically fully staffed by 1st-year Full-Sail graduates at this point. The only people making bank off of this are the Roberts crime family and their lawyer.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I’m awestruck by how bad their not-Jeremy Clarkson looks. But I’m wondering did they make him in a different engine, just to be able to reach even this low bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hahaha this thing looks like poo poo lol. Going price is $675 - for a ship you can’t actually fly in-game.