Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Godholio posted:

This is how I'm going to explain this from now on.

And like I said before, when you can rely on them not being broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles posted:

And like I said before, when you can rely on them not being broken.

And high enough voltage to not take 30 minutes to get to 80%+ capacity.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

RZA Encryption posted:

You're not wrong, but mass adoption won't happen until you can thoughtlessly go wherever (within reason). You'll know we're there when you aren't navigating to a charging station, you're just navigating to your destination and you take the first exit you see when you're low.

I have that weekly 110 mile drive to LA. I considered a 170 mi range 2020 Ionic. Leased a 240+ mile range NIRO EV instead.

With the crappy charging infrastructure and the 220v not being 220v surprise in my rental AND the corporate apartment Charge Point not being usable even though I have an account, I made the right decision.

I can get away with 110v Charging at the office and home along with the free charging at Volta.

The Ionic would have been nerve wracking.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ulf posted:

I wonder why Zero added them... lighter than a DC-DC converter, or more reliable, or cheaper?

Edit: they’re more field-serviceable I suppose. Just an off-the-shelf motorcycle battery that can be jumped by any pair of cables.

Edit 2: ah, I think I know. The original solution predates adding ABS, and when they added an ABS pump they had to spec the DC-DC converter way up for the amps needed. They couldn’t add a 12V battery (with its massive crank amps capability) without a redesign of that platform, but they did fit one into the next models which were a total redesign.

You always need a DC-DC converter, so probably a cost thing more than anything, switch mode power supplies are cheap, until you need them to handle a ton of current, if you have a battery supply the high draw loads, then slowly charge it up you can get away with a much smaller unit.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

There were lots of dumb things he did, but like the dumbest was that he didn't estimate the initial route he was riding correctly. Like, he's going up a mountain, did he not think perhaps maybe he should have a significant range margin to account for this?
Also the Livewire is in ABRP and this route has one of the speed warnings that means that you really need to pay attention. It has a 56 mph limit for the whole route, and for him 'slowing down' was drafting trucks at 60.

I mean, I guess it should be easier, but come on, he could you know, maybe lift a finger before taking a 500 mile motorcycle ride?
As a former Harley owner, I think his first mistake was taking a Harley anything, much less a Harley branded electric bike. Simply put, I feel the Harley brand is too much about drawing in older people who remember the glory days in the 20s or 40s or whenever Harley actually made race bikes, and now they are just buying what is loud and looks cool. Again, as a former Harley owner, this is not a terrible business plan, the bikes are unique and more fun than a crotch rocket in their own special way, but I simply don't consider modern Harley engineering to be on par with any other motorcycle manufacturer. For that reason, I would not trust a Harley e-bike, if anything I would expect Harley to release a piece of poo poo e-bike solely because people will buy it only for the brand. After people buy the e-bike, they will realize it's sucks but it won't be junk because it's a multi thousand dollar Harley, it has to be the best e-bike available, but e-bikes suck so we should all go back to an ancient, anemic, loud gas burning v-twin engine design. Another way to put it, a gas burning Harley has sex appeal, an e-bike does not, and I think Harley is marketing the sex appeal enough to do whatever it takes to sabotage the e-bike image, even if it means releasing a crappy product.
(or
That said, even if Harley hypothetically released a lovely e-bike, it does seem a little ridiculous that the range could vary that much. Yes, going uphill should take 10 or 20 (or more?) percent off of your range, but the average buyer is NOT smart enough to factor in elevation changes. They need a "fuel gauge" that functions better. This is like taking the e-bike up the mountains with half a tank or 40 miles of range left. and then seeing that "half a tank" plummet to empty within 20 miles. I think what they should do is display battery charge instead of estimated miles, that way a smart enough buyer might realize that a 50% charge will leave you stranded going uphill even if it's only 20 miles.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
One thing that stuck out is the Harley not having level 2 charging. Is that normal on e-bikes? If so is it a space or cost thing? If not, why would they choose that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not Wolverine posted:

the average buyer is NOT smart enough to factor in elevation changes. They need a "fuel gauge" that functions better. This is like taking the e-bike up the mountains with half a tank or 40 miles of range left. and then seeing that "half a tank" plummet to empty within 20 miles. I think what they should do is display battery charge instead of estimated miles, that way a smart enough buyer might realize that a 50% charge will leave you stranded going uphill even if it's only 20 miles.

I don't think these two things are compatible honestly.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Just picked up a fully loaded Premier Bolt for my wife today, turns out GM employee discount and the Costco rebate stack, ended up getting almost $14,000 off the MSRP for 31.7k otd. As a bonus the dealership had a black Friday deal and threw in a 55" TV on top of it.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Huh. That’s interesting, I thought the bolt would have had enough cargo space to fit a 55” tv inside.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

Just picked up a fully loaded Premier Bolt for my wife today, turns out GM employee discount and the Costco rebate stack, ended up getting almost $14,000 off the MSRP for 31.7k otd. As a bonus the dealership had a black Friday deal and threw in a 55" TV on top of it.

I'm not a Costco member nor GM employee and my otd quote was 30.5 for the 2020 non-premier version.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Not Wolverine posted:

...I think what they should do is display battery charge instead of estimated miles, that way a smart enough buyer might realize that a 50% charge will leave you stranded going uphill even if it's only 20 miles.

Yeah, this should be a lot better. In looking up about the Livewire, it seems Harley has an app to help with trips - What they should have done is spent a little bit to integrate an intelligent range estimator into it.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

One thing that stuck out is the Harley not having level 2 charging. Is that normal on e-bikes? If so is it a space or cost thing? If not, why would they choose that?

Yeah I was curious about this too. Looking at the site is seems that you can use level 2 chargers, but you will only charge at level 1 speeds. Not clear on the tradeoffs here, but this seems like a pretty big oversight considering the state of charging in the US right now. Adding ~20-45 miles in an hour is a big difference from adding 11.

With the combined city/highway estimate of 95 miles, and the battery size of 15.5 kwh it gets 163 wh/mi which isn't that much better than a model3SR+ (at ~240). How much does areo help motorcycles?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bone Crimes posted:

With the combined city/highway estimate of 95 miles, and the battery size of 15.5 kwh it gets 163 wh/mi which isn't that much better than a model3SR+ (at ~240). How much does areo help motorcycles?

It’s pretty tough to design motorcycles for truly efficient aero giving the range of different sized and shaped humans who will be sitting on top of them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
There's a blog from a guy who drove his custom built e bike across the country, tried to be the first in 2012. According to him the aero is the most important factor for the range on a bike.

Presumably they don't include a big torpedo shaped aero fairing on the commercial bikes because they look dorky.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't think these two things are compatible honestly.
That's fair but my thinking is a display that says "20 miles" implies that it will go 20 miles no matter what the conditions are. If it just said "20%" then the rider doesn't know how many miles 20% is. You would have to either start thinking and planning, or just cross your fingers and ride off into the abyss because freedom.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Or just have nav take elevation differences into account. Does the livewire do nav on its screen? I have to admit I'm not familiar with motorcycle infotainment systems.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Not Wolverine posted:

That's fair but my thinking is a display that says "20 miles" implies that it will go 20 miles no matter what the conditions are. If it just said "20%" then the rider doesn't know how many miles 20% is. You would have to either start thinking and planning, or just cross your fingers and ride off into the abyss because freedom.

The estimated range has always been based on your recent average consumption through, even with ICE cars. Otherwise (unless it has integrated satan) it would just have to assume the worst like that you're towing uphill at WOT, and show 1/10 of the actual likely range.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s pretty tough to design motorcycles for truly efficient aero giving the range of different sized and shaped humans who will be sitting on top of them.

Same is true for bicycles, where velocity squared is much lower, yet they spend huge amounts of resources on streamlining everything.

Apparently a rider in full tuck on a race bike has a coefficient of drag of 0.6: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

Which is basically a barn door. Maybe it would help to somehow duct air behind the rider's back.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ola posted:

Same is true for bicycles, where velocity squared is much lower, yet they spend huge amounts of resources on streamlining everything.

Apparently a rider in full tuck on a race bike has a coefficient of drag of 0.6: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

Which is basically a barn door. Maybe it would help to somehow duct air behind the rider's back.

Also a way to sell ever more expensive and over designed bicycles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A fairing on a recumbent is insanely aerodynamic, you just look like an absolute wanker.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Also a way to sell ever more expensive and over designed bicycles.

Which makes you really wonder why motorcycle manufacturers aren't doing it. Ducati Hyperaero would sell like whoa.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This must be a forum dream. Miata EV swap. 100 mile range, weight gains = 1 person, same weight distribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZws7kE3U5k

e: came for the MX5, stayed for the CCS capable, Tesla swap 911 kits.

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 28, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ola posted:

Which makes you really wonder why motorcycle manufacturers aren't doing it. Ducati Hyperaero would sell like whoa.

I guess with the mortorcycke you e got other talking points like horse power, torque, etc which have a much bigger impact on performance while with a bicycle it’s uhh how good you are at pedaling. So all their effort is put into how this new design will make your pedaling better.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I'll never be free of dealing with Tesla for these solar panels. I've been trying to get them to send me an invoice/receipt for the Maryland tax rebate for about two weeks. Apparently it's not something that is possible on their end.

I also have to deal with them for my SRECs. Customer service folks are claiming I sold them to Tesla despite no evidence.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That's the first I've heard of an EV conversion with fast charging. Very exciting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ola posted:

Yea, the main issue with trying build a bike around aero is that you end up with clip ons and the rider needing to be in a full tuck to get behind the fairing to make it at all worthwhile and most people who are going to ride a motorcycle long distances aren’t going to want to do it in a full moto gp crouch. The most comfortable long distance bikes (and around town bikes) have the rider in a pretty upright position and either the windscreen or the rider is basically a sail at that point.

With a car you have pretty much absolute control over the surfaces and how they interact with the air. On a motorbike (or peddle bike) you’re basically at the mercy of the rider deciding if they want to be aerodynamic or not, within the limits of their own body and the bikes geometry.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Ola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmibwafGXc

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

This is the peak cycle aerodynamics. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-akkbNyiXE&t=85s

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Speleothing posted:

There's a blog from a guy who drove his custom built e bike across the country, tried to be the first in 2012. According to him the aero is the most important factor for the range on a bike.

Presumably they don't include a big torpedo shaped aero fairing on the commercial bikes because they look dorky.

My employer co-sponsored this:

254 MPH: The Voxan Wattman Is Now the World's Fastest Electric Motorcycle

I used to be active in the Human Powered Vehicle scene. With streamlining, on flat roads with no drafting, the current record for a human powered bike is almost 90mph (flying 200m).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOmP63m1byA

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

VideoGameVet posted:

My employer co-sponsored this:

254 MPH: The Voxan Wattman Is Now the World's Fastest Electric Motorcycle

That looks loving awesome

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

tranten posted:

Huh. That’s interesting, I thought the bolt would have had enough cargo space to fit a 55” tv inside.

I appreciate you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

This must be a forum dream. Miata EV swap. 100 mile range, weight gains = 1 person, same weight distribution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZws7kE3U5k

e: came for the MX5, stayed for the CCS capable, Tesla swap 911 kits.
Yeah I posted about it either earlier or in a different thread, the swap is well engineered and executed but it somehow makes the miata even slower and costs $30k so it really makes little sense unless you're really desperate for an EV convertible or something.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I almost ran out of battery on the way up to the mountains yesterday. I had forgotten to put my PIN into the charger (very dumb system) so it didn't charge at all overnight so we set off with 21% to charge on the way. Then there was a crash on the autoroute so we got to sit in a jam for an hour watching the charge % gradually go down. First EV charge point had the wrong kind of plug and by the time we got to a decent one the car was down to 2%. Nerve wracking!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
pics

Got my RAV4 Prime and it's beautiful. gently caress the dealership though - wish Toyota was more like Tesla here.

Location is Palos Verdes overlooking the Pacific and facing towards West Los Angeles (Santa Monica Bay). Was a clear day so you could see all the way to Malibu (~25 mi away).

Car finished manufacturing on 11/2, made it to the dealer on 11/25, and was in my hands as of 11/27 (Friday).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nice! I look forward to hearing about your %EV vs %gas stats.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I applied for the California Clean Vehicle Assistance program yesterday, has anyone done this recently and could tell me about how long the application takes?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nitramster posted:

I applied for the California Clean Vehicle Assistance program yesterday, has anyone done this recently and could tell me about how long the application takes?

As long as 128 days if they decide to verify your income.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/faqs/how-long-will-it-take-process-my-application

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not the best method of charging, but an interesting video nevertheless.

https://youtu.be/EEIN6-cVLRg

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Kandi K27 EV Test Drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrVGTzM81L8

So I guess they really are shipping these now.

Video claims that in Colorado the net cost would be $6000.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Changli is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When do they actually start delivery though? They're all sitting around in a lot, at least when the video was made. Fairly impressive though.