Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PlushCow posted:

How'd Dishonored 2 turn out? All I remember hearing is that it was buggy as heck. Did it get fixed? Was it fun??

I played the whole thing earlier this year. It was bug-free and extremely smooth. It's really fun, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PlushCow posted:

How'd Dishonored 2 turn out? All I remember hearing is that it was buggy as heck. Did it get fixed? Was it fun??
The bugginess and performance issues were largely fixed and it's a very fun game with a lot of fairly interesting ideas. There's one level where your usual powers are replaced with the ability to switch between the past and the present, and what you do in the past dynamically affects the present. It's pretty neat. Another takes place in a building full of moving and transforming rooms that you have to switch back and forth to get places. Really creative.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

PlushCow posted:

If you enjoyed Dishonored 1 it's pretty much that but more polished and with some really inventive levels. Non-lethal options are also greatly expanded from the first game if that's your jam.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Back when I played Dishonored 2 I went insane trying to troubleshoot a weird lag I was getting at some points and it turned out D2 really hated my wireless xbox one controller. Plug it in? 0 issues. Wireless? (using the official xbox dongle) 1-2 second input lag... sometimes.

They may have patched it out, it may have just been something local, but if you get that, try using your controller wired.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cardiovorax posted:

Protip: wolves hunt in packs.

Their kind ill like fire!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
:laffo: I know I haven't played it in a hot minute but Deep Rock Galactic is queued for an update on Monday, December 7th @ 4:32AM.

Seriously? They need to queue updates 9 days in advance due to "peak usage?"

edit oh my god i forced the update & it was 1.3 MB

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People keep quoting the "peak usage due to Covid" thing but I have also had Steam constantly postpone updates for no particular reason for years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't understand why Steam doesn't calculate update sizes before it starts the update.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just started "I Am Dead", and holy cow is it beautiful. It's like playing a game entirely made up of classic National Park posters.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Cook, Serve, Delicious 3 released out of early access a little over a month ago and is 25% off. The series revolves around you being a cook - in this one you're a food truck on a road trip across post apocalyptic America. The art and music are great, food descriptions are detailed and delightfully bizarre, and the gameplay hits a very satisfying spot that few others games can touch. You can play on regular mode for an insane rush or play on chill mode for a relaxed game.

If you're new to the series you are in for a real treat here. If you've played a CSD game before, this one improves on the pacing, finds a sweet spot between the chef for hire and freeform modes from 2, adds a lot of new recipes, and has a whole new set of bizarre food descriptions for your enjoyment.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Dishonored 2 is a great game but even recently (after the final patch was pushed out) I still had weird performance issues on an GTX 1080 and i5-6600k with a decent overclock on it.

I’m currently running an i5–10600k (overclocked a lot) and RTX 2070 Super, and I’ve been meaning to reinstall it and do another play through with the other character for some achievement hunting—so I imagine it will run a lot more smoothly now hopefully.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Are you playing on a controller or mouse and keyboard? I switched from M+KB to a controller and it made juggling abilities so much easier.

KB+M, I can see the controller making things much easier w/r/t ability juggling but I feel like I need to be playing DOOM on a PC so I'm forcing myself to deal with it lol

Estel
May 4, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

People keep quoting the "peak usage due to Covid" thing but I have also had Steam constantly postpone updates for no particular reason for years.

Yeah, Steam changed the game updates 2-3 years ago. If you have not played a game in the last 3 days it will schedule the update instead of downloading.

With the actual disk sizes lots of people have huge amounts of games installed that they are not going to play now but maybe in the future (something that never happens while the games backlog continues to grow) and Steam decided to change how it manages the updates to prevent probably lots of money being used on updates for games that are never going to be played.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Horizon Zero Dawn with the new sharpening feature they added in a recent patch is almost a completely different looking game. I have the slider set to 30% and the texture detail is incredible at 1440p.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Will I have any issues if I install Steam games to a USB drive that I'll be connecting and disconnecting a lot? I assume with save/configuration stuff mostly living in Documents or the cloud that wouldn't be a factor, and can Steam just auto-detect whether the game drive is active or not? Is loading off a USB 3.0 drive good enough for games these days

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Steam needs an actual store category for games that are "finished" but only in the sense the devs ran out of money and pushed it out as complete.

Leviathan Last Day of the Decade is a mix of a VN and a hidden object game. The art and character animations, what little there are, do a lot to build up the atmosphere of a decaying world full of corrupt and vile nobility and oppressed commoners. The game throws out a lot of what feel like major plot points that never get properly resolved or explained beyond a handful of lines as the plot jumps from scene to scene without much care for the players desire to learn more about the game world.

It's got your basic click on object, inspect, remember details from earlier puzzles, and it telegraphs the answers pretty hard either from the character narrating what is going on or just clicking the icon that highlights any interact-able area. It works out pretty well because rather then matching puzzles up or trying to mix objects to see if they effect each other it's just reading/inspecting something and getting information you then have to apply in conversation.

It's a Russian game from a small dev team, so there's a distinct euro-jank feel to a lot of it especially since there's more then a few translation errors including misspellings and getting names wrong. It's almost part of the charm given how bleak and hosed up everything in the game is that even the text itself isn't clean and polished. The story has a lot of subplots you can find that don't really go anywhere satisfying but still help build out the oppressive weirdness of the game.

The story definitely drew me in after an hour and I played it to the 'end' as it were, episode 5 being the last episode ending on a cliff hanger and from what I could find in discussions and comments the end of the series as the dev team ran out of money, and then later broke up over some dispute.

I really like the presentation as a whole despite the weaknesses. I'm not a use fan of the look/use/take/touch of the old 90s adventure games so a streamlined version like this is much easier to follow along and not get frustrated.

It's a $5 game at most so the current sale is overpriced, but if you already own it you can get a good 5-6 hours of reading out of it especially if you like playing and replaying to see various bad ends, choice options, extra scenes etc.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Awesome! posted:

i think outer worlds might have the biggest disconnect between goon reviews and outside reviews that ive ever seen in a game

The outside world are a bunch of idiots in denial who say everything is good.

Trust in goon.

EDIT: Reminder to all goons that creeper world 4 is being released soon.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Catsplosion posted:

The outside world are a bunch of idiots in denial who say everything is good.

Trust in goon.

I think a lot of it is due to Bethesda releasing FO76 around the same time and people eating up the 'Obsidian is here to save RPG gaming' narrative without looking into the game properly.

And Dishonored 2 is fantastic. I absolutely loved the setting... Karnaca is stunning and some of the level designs are very memorable.
If you have weird stutter issues, cap the framerate at 60. The game does not play well with high refresh rate monitors in my experience.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Dishonored 2 also has some really cool architecture. I especially liked that gigantic villa clashing with its environment and dominating it. It's making it perfectly clear that it is the seat of oppressive power through architecture alone.

Playing through the clockwork mansion a few times is also really interesting. The level is not actually all that complicated, but it takes quite a while to figure out how it works. The developers even made it possible to be perfectly undetected throughout.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Will I have any issues if I install Steam games to a USB drive that I'll be connecting and disconnecting a lot? I assume with save/configuration stuff mostly living in Documents or the cloud that wouldn't be a factor, and can Steam just auto-detect whether the game drive is active or not? Is loading off a USB 3.0 drive good enough for games these days

That would work if you connect it before starting Steam, and disconnect after quitting. Not the best solution though. I've done it on the Linux side by moving a bunch of games to my NAS, but starting steam with a steam library that isn't mounted makes it think those games are no longer installed and you have to remove it and add it again after mounting…

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I took the thread's suggestion and installed Raft. I was up to 2am building my post- apocalyptic rickety home away from home. :thumbsup:

I don't usually go for crafting survival games but something here just scratched the right itch in my brain.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I want Raft but I also will wait until it is finished and feature complete (served me well for Subnautica).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looking at Remnant: From the Ashes and Battletech DLC for sale pickups. I liked Battletech at release, I just didn't really know what I was doing with mech customization, got stuck on one of the campaign missions and just left it.

Remnant looks like a hybrid between a 3rd person shooter/looter/souls game that could be alright.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I don't know if you bother with the Epic Games Store but if you do Remnant was a freebie a while back so you may have it already.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't know if you bother with the Epic Games Store but if you do Remnant was a freebie a while back so you may have it already.

Never touched Epic so sadly no.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just beat the story campaign of Carrier Command Gaea Mission!

PS: Next up is Hostile Waters, as I understand it's the other game in this genre and does a lot of what it does but better/more interesting, and I'm extremely into that.

Did they ever fix the goddamn pathfinding AI in this game? I bought it on release and it was literally impossible to play because you could never get your forces where they needed to go. They were hellacious shots though.

Also Hostile Waters absolutely owns and is one of my all time favorites.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Remnant is really fun and is not outright hostile to the player the way Dark Souls is

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Psycho Landlord posted:

Did they ever fix the goddamn pathfinding AI in this game? I bought it on release and it was literally impossible to play because you could never get your forces where they needed to go. They were hellacious shots though.

Also Hostile Waters absolutely owns and is one of my all time favorites.

I don't know. I found the path-finding to be fine if finicky (NO bridges allowed), but the best possible pathfinding is via the Deadly Islands mod, it's done a great job of turning fine to actually good. I'm still having trouble fine-tuning the difficulty settings so it doesn't tip too danger for me, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

dishonored 2 is kind of a retread of the first game's plot and they replaced the outsider's voice actor which was a change i really didnt like, but other than that the game owns. being able to do nonlethal moves other than slowly choking someone out was my favorite bit - dropping down onto people and (gently) slamming their heads into the pavement never got old

i'd definitely recommend playing as emily over corvo; the plot fits her better and she has an all-new set of powers distinct from the first game

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Cardiovorax posted:

Wouldn't that make it the worst MGS game in terms of gameplay, if classic Metal Gear Solid gameplay is what you actually wanted out of the game? I mean, I was able to have fun with the game when I tried to take it on its own terms, but I have to be honest that I thought it was a real disappointment when I got it after binging through MGS3 just prior.
I think another problem is that a lot of the supposedly involved stealth sections were just kind of forgettable. None of the outposts really invoke the bases in mgs3 or even Camp Omega in ground zeroes. Everything's just a little too open and low profile, it really needed a few more tightly designed interior sections for a change of pace.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 28, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Wouldn't that make it the worst MGS game in terms of gameplay, if classic Metal Gear Solid gameplay is what you actually wanted out of the game? I mean, I was able to have fun with the game when I tried to take it on its own terms, but I have to be honest that I thought it was a real disappointment when I got it after binging through MGS3 just prior.

Actually that’s a pretty good point and I agree totally. I guess I was referring to movement, aiming, cover. The guards eventually catching onto you tranquilizing them or only attacking at night is a great touch. On its own merits is a lot of fun, but you’re right. It’s a “stealth” action on its own terms but not favorably comparable to MGS in terms of level design and base layout.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

lurker2006 posted:

I think another problem is that a lot of the supposedly involved stealth sections were just kind of forgettable. None of the outposts really invoke the bases in mgs3 or even Camp Omega in ground zeroes. Everything's just a little too open and low profile, it really needed a few more tightly designed interior sections for a change of pace.
I would agree with that. As an open-world third-person shooter with stealth and weapon customizability, it's really not bad at all. If you wanted a Metal Gear Solid game, though, then it's too open, too big, and stealth doesn't really matter enough. I mean, you can stealth, but when you get right down to it, it's pretty much just an option, not what the game is about. The limited scope of MGS games is what has always helped to make them as great as they were, I think: a small, but handcrafted world full of detail and little touches that made them feel alive. MGS5 just doesn't have that sense of intricateness to it.

buglord posted:

Actually that’s a pretty good point and I agree totally. I guess I was referring to movement, aiming, cover. The guards eventually catching onto you tranquilizing them or only attacking at night is a great touch. On its own merits is a lot of fun, but you’re right. It’s a “stealth” action on its own terms but not favorably comparable to MGS in terms of level design and base layout.
:) Fair enough, then! As a third-person kinda-stealth game in its own right, I would say it's really not a bad game at all. It does some really cool things that you can really have fun with, and the engine is amazing to the point that I loved Metal Gear Survive just because it takes it and does something much more unique with it. I guess I just think it's a bad Metal Gear Solid game by the standards of what previous MGS games were.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

dmboogie posted:

i'd definitely recommend playing as emily over corvo; the plot fits her better and she has an all-new set of powers distinct from the first game

I had totally forgotten he's playable. Choosing him completely dulls the narrative of the game. Dishonored 2 is Emily's story, not Corvo's.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the other hand he sounds like Garrett, and he's just so dreamy. :allears:

But yeah, Emily is more interesting and some of her powers are really fun to use. I would recommend getting a New Game Plus save so you can mix and match as you feel like, that way you get the most out of the experience no matter who you pick.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is the PC port of Red Dead Redemption 2 any better than it was at launch. I remember hearing it had some bad performance problems.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Is the PC port of Red Dead Redemption 2 any better than it was at launch. I remember hearing it had some bad performance problems.
I bought it about six months ago and I have no issues worth mentioning on my 1070Ti. Performance is very solid, I experienced no crashes or glitches.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

buglord posted:

I thought that Splinter Cell Blacklist was a much more enjoyable game for these reasons. Similarly tight, but with level design intended for stealth action, and varying rewards for each playstyle. The MGS series has never had the best gameplay, that's always been Splinter Cell, it's everything else that it does right. And for some reason, folks love MGSV, which does everything else wrong and only has the gameplay feel right.

Cardiovorax posted:

On the other hand he sounds like Garrett, and he's just so dreamy. :allears:

But yeah, Emily is more interesting and some of her powers are really fun to use. I would recommend getting a New Game Plus save so you can mix and match as you feel like, that way you get the most out of the experience no matter who you pick.

Corvo is the best NG+ character, and it's such a smart decision to allow both, because the setting being his actual home turf really helps expand the worldbuilding side after you're done with the main plot.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And for some reason, folks love MGSV, which does everything else wrong and only has the gameplay feel right.

Farting around in central africa or the middle east is really cool though. The settings alone do a lot to prop it up. The area I hate the most is Mother Base, mostly because its this giant empty shell that feels as if a lot of content is missing. All that design, just to do the target practice minigames? That and the game just ends, then ends again on a really weird note. Despite how expensive this game feels to previous titles, it feels like a whole lot more was missing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The incompleteness of it is well-acknowledged, I think. Konami cut Kojima off because he had already spent 80 millions on it and was only planning to spend even more, so the endgame in particular is pathetically anemic by MGS standards.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
There's a lot of game to enjoy that's really fun up until the ending. Dress up your dog/horse/helicopter, go loud or quiet, punch your own soldiers with a rocket arm, celebrate your birthday, assault guards with blow up dolls, etc. etc.. MGSV is a super easy recommend and well worth the price despite its infamously famished end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dishonored 2 is arkane's best game. each level keeps getting better than the last for most of the game, the gameplay is great, and so are the graphics provided you don't have performance issues. I recommend emily because her powers are a lot more accommodating of stealth and low chaos if you choose to do that, and also corvo's powers are mostly the same as in dishonored 1 if you already played that.

wish the story wasn't dumb/the tone was more like dishonored 1 but it's fine.

John Murdoch posted:

What really blew me away was looking it up again and finding out the developers didn't just vanish and are actually making an asymmetrical co-op spy game now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335790/Operation_Tango/

thanks for linking this, I was wanting more coordinated coop games like this after I posted about the We Were Here series and this looks like just what I was looking for.