Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

well why not posted:

I read his autobiography years ago. It’s basically him going back and forth between rehab, Pattie Boyd and NY for 20 years, then marrying a 22 year old at the end.

I read it too, and obviously he can't remember anything important. The only insight we get is life with the new wife and buying a boat or something which takes up the final 1/3 of the book, possibly more. Recording Layla with Duane and all? ehhh who knows.

Makes me think back to Peter Garrett's book, he recorded some great interesting music in the 80s with Midnight Oil, but those albums are lucky to get a paragraph or two. But land rights court cases from the Northern Territory or Tasmania? Whole chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m waiting for the other guy from Midnight Oil to write an autobiography, the one who started a micro bikini company

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now I suddenly feel justified in never being able to get into Clapton's work. Though I wonder if his biography is like that because he don't remember poo poo through all the drugs. I don't have a source but supposedly he doesn't remember doing the eyesight to the blind scene in the movie version of Tommy because cocaine. Guess I got lucky with reading Roger Daltrey's autobiography, which was interesting, but is mostly his perspective of how events and poo poo went down and who did what in The Who and beyond, not so much about songs and the music itself. He does mention that he didn't really find his voice as a singer until Tommy, iirc.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

I’m waiting for the other guy from Midnight Oil to write an autobiography, the one who started a micro bikini company

how do we sleep while our tits are sunburned

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowy posted:

Wicked Weasel?

edit: yep, that's the one

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Chrpno posted:

I read it too, and obviously he can't remember anything important. The only insight we get is life with the new wife and buying a boat or something which takes up the final 1/3 of the book, possibly more. Recording Layla with Duane and all? ehhh who knows.

Makes me think back to Peter Garrett's book, he recorded some great interesting music in the 80s with Midnight Oil, but those albums are lucky to get a paragraph or two. But land rights court cases from the Northern Territory or Tasmania? Whole chapters.

Earlier this year, I went through Thomas Dolby's memoir and got kind of the same thing. Like, there's a bunch of good stuff about his recording days, but his last two albums of his original run get barely any play at all, the entire second half of the book is "how I became a venture capitalist techbro in the mid-90s" and his most recent album from 2011 or so, which I was hoping for some insight on, since it was his first new material in about twenty years...is literally in the last chapter of the book as the words "I recorded an album."

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

Wicked Weasel?

edit: yep, that's the one

Aha! Which brings us around to one of my early stupid music poo poo moments, here's our Wicked Weasel man himself and I was like "what the hell is that fretboard he's poking at??" He's a real good bass player but looks like he's working hard on the Chapman stick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAm7wqm18s

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

The incident with his son was nothing to do with him, but he's still a shitbag.

That cuts out the Enoch Powell poo poo, but in 2007 he walked it back a bit to say that while it was obviously the drugs making him racist he still thought Powell had some good points. No comment on whether that referred to the 'rivers of blood'.

Large oof

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Chapman sticks are a reaction from bassists after they realised they could be easily replaced by the keyboardist'e left hand. Here's the guy from 80's King Crimson rocking one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Eoek8a500

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

hexwren posted:

Earlier this year, I went through Thomas Dolby's memoir and got kind of the same thing. Like, there's a bunch of good stuff about his recording days, but his last two albums of his original run get barely any play at all, the entire second half of the book is "how I became a venture capitalist techbro in the mid-90s" and his most recent album from 2011 or so, which I was hoping for some insight on, since it was his first new material in about twenty years...is literally in the last chapter of the book as the words "I recorded an album."

On the other hand, it does have the anecdote where he fucks up waterskiing, gets a bunch of water up his rear end, and then his dad writes a poem about his being reamed by Poseidon. I'm not sure what more you could want in a celebrity memoir than that.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

OutOfPrint posted:

Chapman sticks are a reaction from bassists after they realised they could be easily replaced by the keyboardist'e left hand. Here's the guy from 80's King Crimson rocking one:

Tony Levin is an irreplaceable bassist who also happens to be a Chapman virtuoso. The link is that he's a loving weirdo.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

rickiep00h posted:

Tony Levin is an irreplaceable bassist who also happens to be a Chapman virtuoso. The link is that he's a loving weirdo.

I feel this statement could be easily altered to apply to all the members of King Crimson and I’m still deeply saddened my chance to see them back in June got cancelled due to COVID.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rickiep00h posted:

Chapman virtuoso

Pretty funny username

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

OutOfPrint posted:

I feel a little guilty that it made me think of this:

https://youtu.be/JtvGR8UX1L0

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Elissimpark posted:

I feel a little guilty that it made me think of this:

https://youtu.be/JtvGR8UX1L0

It’s the same song? :confused:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

No, Primus put it back on bass (6-string?) and made it a better song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBQ2305fLeA

Srsly though, the last time I saw a Chapman in the wild was about 10 years ago, a busker at the markets. Have they gone away for good?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I feel like Chapman sticks were made for busking, like handpans. They seem impressive in person but nobody actually wants to listen to them in a song.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

rickiep00h posted:

Friday’s was a misshapen attempt at an ABC Saturday Night Live. They had great musical guests though.

Snowy posted:

I feel like Chapman sticks were made for busking, like handpans. They seem impressive in person but nobody actually wants to listen to them in a song.

They’re like keytars with strings.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Snowy posted:

It’s the same song? :confused:

No, just imagining the Rebirth of King Crimson Mark 2 with New Wave Oddessy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

His other hilariously weird but awesome bass thing is "funk fingers", which are basically just drum sticks taped to his index and middle fingers used for percussive slapping.

The bassline on Sledgehammer is an absolute masterpiece.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

The bassline on Sledgehammer is an absolute masterpiece.

It's just the Seinfeld theme innit?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

This is all I can think of whenever I see a chapman stick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7kIclA4yq4

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chrpno posted:

Fun fact that I learned some time ago, but don't remember what program I saw it on: the bass on the Seinfeld theme is a keyboard sampler. It seems obvious after you know it, but for the longest time I thought all that was some white dude playing garbage bass. Instead it's some white dude playing garbage keys.

Fitting for the whitest show ever.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Semi-related to the musician memoirs discussion: My mom once took out a copy of Guitars from George & Leo: How Leo Fender and I Built G&L Guitars from the library for me. It was pretty fascinating to read about how Leo Fender founded and moved from company to company from the perspective of one of his closest friends and business partners; with that said, my brother and I were discussing the book, and he came up with the conclusion that "George Fullerton doesn't know how to write a book." I pretty much felt the same way on my second read through the book.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s a pretty great twenty thousand hertz episode about the Seinfeld theme

https://www.20k.org/episodes/seinfeld

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fridays had Devo on multiple times before and after Whip It. SNL canceled Elvis Costello for playing Radio, Radio.

Fridays was clearly the better show.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Chrpno posted:

Sledgehammer is a fretless Musicman with a pick and an octave pedal, no slapping.

Tony is a genius player with some goofy ideas and it's crazy how many records you'll have heard without realising he played session on: Paul Simon, Lou Reed, Warren Zevon, Alice Cooper, John Lennon, Carly Simon, Don McLean, Cher. I wonder if he ever tried to sell any of them on the stick/funk fingers sounds...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So Boss finally announced the Waza HM-2 and the founder of Lone Wolf Audio, who has made their livelihood on selling a warmed-over, poorly-built HM-2 clone, is losing his loving mind on social media.

His rant boils down to: “They don’t even care about Swedish metal!!!!! Buy mine!!!!”

Lol

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

“They don’t even care about Swedish metal!!!!! Buy mine!!!!”

Reading this in a Toki Wartooth voice and lol'in

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I vaguely recall him being canceled for some loving reason but I cant recall why. Prob just being a general prick.

Not only is his pedal a copy of theirs, the name is a copy of famous album/sound so...

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 29, 2020

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol at the person who makes clones of a pedal that literally hundreds of other people also clone getting angry about that

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
He's a notorious prick. Has an ongoing thing with Pedalboards of Doom where he antagonises their membership after being banned for charging into any thread about HM-2s, but he's also notorious for personal call-outs of critics or anyone who complains about his lovely wiring techniques. Doxxing and threatening anyone who builds HM-2 clones plus casual homophobia in DMs too - he seems to think he has some kind of monopoly on modded HM-2 circuits.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The waza pedals aren’t limited editions are they?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I really like Clapton, even into his absolutely unexciting but pleasant modern "old man playing blues and jazz stuff."

He's undoubtedly racist, even if only in the "regular" capacity of an old white guy, though he's Britishly racist so its entirely reasonable that he could be close to and a genuine friend to exceptional musical black Americans while hating the particular minorities and immigrants in England.

He seems like he'd be an awful person to be around and I've mostly skirted by on how he didn't publicly talk about anything anymore. I guess that's over now.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's about where I am too. I still like Lay Down Sally but I don't support anyone calling anyone else wogs or whatever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

The waza pedals aren’t limited editions are they?

I don’t think they are and I welcome the en-fuckening of Joe’s business.

Speaking of trolls/chuds:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I don’t think they are and I welcome the en-fuckening of Joe’s business.

Speaking of trolls/chuds:

Ah yes, the republican's dream situation. Constantly being stomped on.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Fun fact that I learned some time ago, but don't remember what program I saw it on: the bass on the Seinfeld theme is a keyboard sampler. It seems obvious after you know it, but for the longest time I thought all that was some white dude playing garbage bass. Instead it's some white dude playing garbage keys.

Fitting for the whitest show ever.

it wasn't immediately obvious that it sounds like the funk bass preset on a cheap casio?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it wasn't immediately obvious that it sounds like the funk bass preset on a cheap casio?

Between hating the show in general and the fact that I only ever watched it on pre-2000 TVs with lovely pre-2000 TV speakers, it was pretty hard for my then-untrained ear, yes. But also, this is a thing some people don't know, and so I thought I'd share since it seemed relevant. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I know the Seinfeld sounds are pretty cheesy, but I appreciate the music more when I found out the guy played a new "score" for every single episode, all 180 of them. I wonder if that's been done on any other show in the modern era? Maybe Letterman or something.