Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Star Trek: Voyager, and why it is good, actually: A video Essay.

(I like voyager in all it's trash fight me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Movie bob sucks

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
hey

you

yes, you. the poster reading this

WATCH KAMEN RIDER OOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHMxCemoRI

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

hey

you

yes, you. the poster reading this

WATCH KAMEN RIDER OOO

OOO and Kuuga, like I said, are fantastic works of art.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OOO and Kuuga, like I said, are fantastic works of art.

yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NDGkoPhyE&t=1s

god I should make a youtube essay about OOO. all the rider youtubers are terrible

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DoctorWhat posted:

yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NDGkoPhyE&t=1s

god I should make a youtube essay about OOO. all the rider youtubers are terrible

Do it, there isn't enough Rider content out there that isn't just like, lists of the coolest riders.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"Kamen Rider OOO: Power, Desire and Manufactured Discontent". Yeah, I could do that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

"Kamen Rider OOO: Power, Desire and Manufactured Discontent". Yeah, I could do that.

We'll partner up and I'll let you post my doctoral thesis: "Violence breeds violence and in the end we are all broken: An analysis of the themes, writing, and morals of Kamen Rider Kuuga. Part 1- Violence in defense of others, in spite of ourselves."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

McCloud posted:

Again, this is a retelling of a story by the spartans "best storyteller", if the film is intent on making a point about propaganda being used to inspire warfare then it makes sense to include a variation of the dolchstoßlegende. It's also not a coincidence that Ephialtes is hideously deformed, it's just a historic version of "this guy sucks, look how ugly he is, inside and out" (the unmentioned truth being that if the spartans hadn't been dicks towards him the betrayal would never have happened).

We as the audience are not meant to relate to the spartans. Like, even in this idealized version of them as told by Dillios, they still toss babies off cliffs and send kids out to fight wolves, it's a barbaric society filled with hosed up traditions. I'm not sure if Miller intended for there to be a similar context to 300 (I've certainly read a few opinions that think so) but it is possible to recontextualize a film to say something different than the work it is based on, starship troopers being the most famous example.

i liked it when the spartan kicked the guy down the hole and yelled this is sparta

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

The only thing I know about Kamen Rider is that Segata Sanshiro's actor played a Rider. Which Kamen is the best one to start from?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Certainly compelling, how worthwhile is prior knowledge of the franchise? Is it self-contained or part of a larger continuity?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

The only thing I know about Kamen Rider is that Segata Sanshiro's actor played a Rider. Which Kamen is the best one to start from?

Kuuga is a much older show but a bit darker in tone (Most of the motw bad guys are basically framed as serial killers in a mystery thriller) so that's a unique and honestly all time high for the franchise.

If you want something recent Build is fairly consistent good and interesting outside of a small stretch right at the end. Ex-Aid is...an insanely goofy premise (Video game based disease fought by doctors) that Goes Places, like the villain basically being John Activision who only refers to the rest of the cast as their Product name kinda places. Slightly less recent is OOO and W (or Double). If you want something that's lighthearted and more character drama focused but with a lot of heart please check out Den-O.

If you need to find good subs for them please come to the Toku thread in the Anime subforum so that this thread doesn't become me and Dr. What talking about how good Kamen rider is.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Certainly compelling, how worthwhile is prior knowledge of the franchise? Is it self-contained or part of a larger continuity?

Most riders, outside of summer movies of dubious canonicity are entirely self contained. There's two anniversary shows that do crossovers as their gimmicks. There's a little crossover here and there like Agito was originally going to be a straight sequel to Kuuga but that get s dropped like 3 eps in outside of one or two lines acknowledging the events of Kuuga happened. You're basically fine to just get a rider show and start at episode 1 and go with it.

a little * With OOO about that tho, it's got a 2 parter that's mostly just goofing around that's celebrating the franchises 1000th (Get it? 1 OOO ) episode that's mostly in jokes about old old rider poo poo. You can mostly just skip that if the jokes do nothing for you

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 29, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Do it, I'd love to watch it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

you ever think about how weird it is that we call films movies

we don't call songs "soundies" or books "wordies"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'd compare post-2000 Kamen Rider continuity to the old Superman and Spider-Man crossovers. Kamen Riders exist in their own little worlds except when a crossover is actively happening. No series, except for Decade and Zi-O (being anniversary shows) are dependent on any other.

Kamen Rider is a kid's show that has to sell toys. Some shows, like Kuuga, Agito, and Ryuki, predate the merchandising explosion and can grate less in this regard, but I recommend just yes-and-ing the whole operation. The belts say funny things and new powers and equipment roll in over the course of each season to sell new product. The best Rider shows in the merchandising era (roughly 2009-on) perform some pretty impressive narrative judo to turn those toy-selling moments into vectors to explore character growth, raise stakes, and do cool new stuff with stunts.

If you don't enjoy wrestling or anime or both, Kamen Rider might just not be for you. That being said, I don't like wrestling very much and I watch maybe two anime a year, and Kamen Rider is roughly my favorite thing.

Here's some recommendations:

If you want to see how it all started, in a Batman '66 With Pathos kind of way, check out the first few episodes of the original Kamen Rider from 1971. It's very ambitious and has no resources at the same time. They made 98 episodes of this and it's not exactly brilliant serialized storytelling so don't stress yourself out about it. This is the one with Segata Sanshiro.

The first attempt at doing serious, long-form storytelling with Rider is Kamen Rider Black, in 1987. Hugely popular at the time and today, Black is 51 episodes of high melodrama and sibling rivalry starring the coolest motherfucker to ever wear a transformation belt, Kotaro Minami.

After Black (and its comedic followup, Black RX) was a long hiatus of TV movies and spinoff material. You could compare this to Doctor Who's wilderness years, and fittingly, it returned in much the same way. 2000's Kamen Rider Kuuga (which, along with '71, is one of only two Rider series currently licensed for streaming in the US) is... it's not cynical but it is very invested in the consequences of violence. Yusuke Godai takes on the burden of Kuuga in order to beat back an ancient tribe of serial-killing shapeshifters known as the Grongi, whose sick games have death tolls in the hundreds. As Godai grows in power, Kuuga's mighty abilities threaten to transform him into a merciless warrior without fear or pain - or anything else. Meanwhile, Japan's institutions struggle to cope with the invincible monsters' murder sprees and the fact that only Kuuga's violence seems capable of stopping the Grongi. Kuuga is beloved for a reason - a serious-minded soap opera with great, visceral action that doesn't talk down to its all-ages audience and balances an atmosphere of dread with a central optimistic hero doing his sincere best. If you liked the Christopher Eccleston year of Doctor Who, you will like Kuuga.

I haven't seen many shows between Kuuga and our next one, but DEN-O is a fun comedic series about an extremely unlucky young man and the four idiot time genies who live in his brain and give him superpowers. People really like this one but I haven't finished it.

Then in 2009, you get Kamen Rider W. The start of the loose "Foundation X Trilogy", solidly the strongest set of three shows in a row. W (Pronounced "Double") is a noir pastiche where our paired protagonists, wannabe private eye Shotaro and amnesiac genius Philip, combine their minds and abilities in one body as Kamen Rider Double to solve mysteries in the small city of Fuuto, plagued by drug dealers selling flash drives that turn people into rubber suit monsters. W has style and manages to balance comedy, toyetics, fun action, and real gravitas. It's got great villains, both Monsters of the Week and larger-scope, the Shotaro and Philip dynamic is great and creates great tension when their personalities clash and impair their functioning as Double, and the mysteries of the fortnight are well-constructed who- and why-donits.

Following W is Kamen Rider OOO, pronounced "Owes". OOO also focuses on a double act of Eiji, a man traumatized so badly that he no longer is capable of self-motivating or desire, and Ankh, a hot mean bird monster possessing a comatose man who happens to be an embodiment of greed and yearning. The series explores desire, greed, and want pretty drat comprehensively for a children's program, features an INCREDIBLE soundtrack with ska and punk influences, probably the best-handled toyetic crap in modern times, and great supporting characters and villains. One of the most thematically tight series since Kuuga, its only letdown is unambitious stunt action.

Lastly comes Kamen Rider Fourze. Created following the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, the premise of Fourze was "a show to make Japan smile again". Fourze is all about the limits, demands, and necessities of friendship when confronted with circumstances and institutions seemingly designed to tear people apart from each other, set them against one another, and make them into worse versions of themselves. Like high school. All-time excellent suit action with great wirework intercut with really solid human drama about the anxieties, pressures, and dangers of high school life. Following the cast of the show over the course of a full school year really hits different and the joy of everyone involved in the production, including Gurren Lagann writer Kazuki Nakashima and Power Rangers stunt directer Koichi Sakamoto, is infectious.

W, OOO, and Fourze have loose continuity with one another culminating in the mid-Fourze crossover film Movie War Megamax. All are excellent.

Other notable series are Gaim and Build.

Gaim is written by the Madoka Magica guy and it shows. It takes goofy fruit-themed samurai outfits and goes some loving places with it. If you like Madoka, you will like Gaim. If you hate Madoka, you will hate Gaim.

Build is Kamen Rider doing straightforward shonen anime with cool stunts. The plot is mile-a-minute, there's heated drama between the cast members, the suits are amazing and the villains are really entertaining. It has all the ups and downs of shonen anime and it really loving hates the military-industrial complex.

Sorry, kind of ran out of steam near the end there. I really recommend Kuuga and OOO as just really excellent television.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

josh04 posted:

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder: You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

That's the point of it? Le Mirage Spartiate isn't about the values the historical Spartiates held or embodied. It's about the glorification of violence and what Snyder considers to be masculinity and a disdain for homosexuality and what Snyder considers to be effeminacy. As a filmmaker, he could just as easily glorify the same values through Ephialtes or Xerxes, but Leonidas is a more convenient vessel.

McCloud posted:

As luck would have it, i do!

“It is not intended for you to believe that you are a Spartan in the movie,” he claims. “I think if you take the perspective of being a Spartan, then you are a very hard individual. But, on the other hand, that is sort of the gift of cinema, that maybe you get a perspective that you don’t normally take.”

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

Q. Did you ever find yourself having to reign him in at all, because he’s quite crazy really?
Zack Snyder: He is a bit of a psycho but that’s consistent with the way Frank sees him. He’s not a guy you want to be friends with. In a normal movie the audience is supposed to see the hero and say: “That’s me! I’m fighting!” But I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane…” It was also part of the fun of making it – to suck you in and make you think you’re a Spartan and then showing you something they do that’s completely morally the opposite to what you’d do as a modern person.

Q. And yet you’re completely on their side…
Zack Snyder: You are on their side because that’s the point of view of the movie. Ultimately, a good movie takes you to one point of view. If I’d made this movie from the perspective of Ephialtes hopefully you’d be on his side. You’d go: “Oh my gosh, the Spartans are so mean to him! He’s just a hunchback. He’s trying to help! Screw them!” That would be cool. I could also have made the movie from Xerxes’ point of view and you might have said: “Those Spartans are crazy! They won’t listen!”

"We’re primarily dealing with mythology rather than history here.
Snyder: Absolutely. I’d say “300” is a movie that is made from the Spartan perspective. Not just from the Spartan perspective, the cameras are the Spartans, but it’s the Spartans sensibility of the Battle of Thermopylae. If you had Spartans sitting around a fire and they were telling you before anything was written down what happened at Thermopylae, this is the way they would tell it. It’s not necessarily down to the fact that they don’t have armor on. Everything about it is just to make the Spartans more overwhelming"

"“300 is based on Herodotus,” Snyder retorts, referring to the ancient Greek who wrote The Histories, the founding work of western literature that details the Battle of Thermopylae. “However you feel about Herodotus, he wasn’t about to ruin a really great story with the truth, necessarily. He was a poet-warrior sort of historian in the classic sense.”"

"Snyder argues that many people look at the movie the wrong way. “I always have this argument: the Spartans are not necessarily the good guys. Let’s get real for a second about who the Spartans are. They look at their newborn children and, if they’re not up to snuff, they chuck them off a cliff. These are the people you’re supposed to go with on this journey?

“I wanted to really get that. I thought that was part of the fun, to say, ‘OK, these are people that basically send their children off into the woods when they’re seven years old, and if they live, they’re able to enter society. Those are your heroes?’ You can’t really frame that from our modern point of view. We’re not Spartans. All they do is train. That’s all they want to do.

“And so, the aesthetic of the Spartans is just outside of our own aesthetic. And I think that’s the difference. That’s why, to me, it was never us against them. It’s like a painting or drawing of a heroic battle. I never meant it to be some race war.”"

Also Snyder:

quote:

The events are 90 percent accurate. It's just in the visualization that it's crazy. A lot of people are like, "You're debauching history!" I'm like, "Have you read it?" I've shown this movie to world-class historians who have said it's amazing. They can't believe it's as accurate as it is.

If Snyder is trying to imitate Verhoeven's work on Starship Troopers, why are the only changes to Miller's comic to make the Spartiates more relatable? Verhoeven famously didn't even read Heinlein's Starship Troopers, tossing it out after two chapters and going with his own knowledge and experiences of growing up under occupation.

And even if we were to take Snyder at his word that 300 is a direct adaptation of The Histories (note: written 50 years after the unreliable narrator of the movie) and not an intentional piece of propaganda on his part, it would still be propaganda, as The Histories is to this day an incredibly effective piece of propaganda.

McCloud posted:

Bonus quote:

This is the gayest film ever made,” Zack Snyder tells Total Film. It’s May 2020 and we’re discussing 300, the alpha-male Spartan fantasy that redefined the historical epic, but not without attracting some controversy. The director’s comments may jar with some critics – there’s no homosexuality portrayed on screen and the Spartan king, Leonidas, played by Gerard Butler, even disparages the Athenians by calling them “boy lovers” – and yet Snyder vehemently disagrees with those who allege otherwise.
“It literally celebrates this masculine form in a way that is transformative for people,” Snyder continues. “I remember being asked, ‘Is your movie pro-gay or pro-NRA?’ I was like, ‘What? It’s both, I guess?’”

He added scenes between Leonidas and his wife specifically to make him seem more heterosexual than in the comic and deliberately coded Xerxes as effeminate and homosexual. It's not uncommon for fascist art to be homophobic and homoerotic at the same time.

edit: poo poo. Happy to stop talking about Snyder

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

a little * With OOO about that tho, it's got a 2 parter that's mostly just goofing around that's celebrating the franchises 1000th (Get it? 1 OOO ) episode that's mostly in jokes about old old rider poo poo. You can mostly just skip that if the jokes do nothing for you

don't skip OOO 1000, it has the funniest line in Rider history (if you use Over-Time's subtitles).

Also send me your thesis

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I think the moving picture -> movie word etymology is different from book ( OG to grant a charter ) or music which goes straight back to Greek name of a muse.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Microcline posted:

That's the point of it? Le Mirage Spartiate isn't about the values the historical Spartiates held or embodied. It's about the glorification of violence and what Snyder considers to be masculinity and a disdain for homosexuality and what Snyder considers to be effeminacy. As a filmmaker, he could just as easily glorify the same values through Ephialtes or Xerxes, but Leonidas is a more convenient vessel.

This is positively disingenuous in the context of the lines quoted immediately before those ones. "I really tried from the beginning of this movie to say: “You’re not the Spartans. They throw their kids off a cliff. They beat them. Their morality is completely insane."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just realised I misremembered who did the Star Trek reboot, I was mixing up Zack Snyder's miserable destruction porn with JJ Abram's extremely stupid destruction porn.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

For one beautiful, ignorant moment there I thought "Huh, what has JJ Abrams been up to lately?"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Is this the youtuber thread?

I love nisipisa and I especially love her roasting awful fast fashion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_bpHgAboJw

that is all

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

josh04 posted:

For one beautiful, ignorant moment there I thought "Huh, what has JJ Abrams been up to lately?"

I will say this in JJ's defense.

He made a movie that was so horrifically terrible in its editting and pacing and how much it just loathed you the viewer and the story it was telling that was also a billion dollars of expensive gorgeous CGI and effects that it created a feeling in me that no film before had.

That feeling was "gently caress all movies forever. T his is a dead medium only for the most blighted souls. This film is a harbinger of the end times".

And while seeing Knives out 2 weeks later at a cheaper theater filled me with some hope, time proved me right.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if Zack Snyder’s movies are meant to be satire they are extremely bad satire because out of the millions of people that enjoy his movies only a small handful that post on Somethingawful think that 300 is about the aesthetics of fascist propaganda and not about cool Spartans doing cool things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Has snyder chat ever resulted in anything of value

No, but we have to have it every 2 months or else the nuclear waste will build up to critical levels and we'll all die.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I vouch for Kamen Rider Ex-Aid it's honest good fun. Also in some translations they call it "Gamer Disease." Diagnosed with Gamer.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Augus posted:

if Zack Snyder’s movies are meant to be satire they are extremely bad satire because out of the millions of people that enjoy his movies only a small handful that post on Somethingawful think that 300 is about the aesthetics of fascist propaganda and not about cool Spartans doing cool things.

Why yes, I am a genius with correct opinions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, has anyone else been randomly recommended TLoU2 videos still?

I don't trust em still.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

So, has anyone else been randomly recommended TLoU2 videos still?

I don't trust em still.

The only one I ever got was MatthewMatosis' which I wanted to watch anyway after I finished the game a couple of months ago.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'll wait for The Last of Us Part 3 Cyborg Werewolf Vampire Demon Edition. This time everyone looks like they can Suplex gods.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Every time I start thinking people who defend snyder films in this thread have a point and I shouldn't be so hard on his films they make the mistake of posting something he said in an interview and no actually he's trash.

Love being told that I should be happy that the 300 has acres of bare man flesh I should drool at adoringly instead of questioning why any overt homosexuality was stripped out of the story.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

Has snyder chat ever resulted in anything of value

Nope! Everyone has already stated their thoughts by now. But we just keep doing it and everyone repeats themselves.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Every Snyder debate in this thread

"I don't think Snyder movies examine idea X well"
"No you see it's good because it examines idea X"
"It's a bad examination of idea X"
"No you see it examines idea X, that makes it unique and cool"

Roth posted:

In my experience it's usually claims of Snyder being a secret Hitler created to bring about the Trump presidency by the latest Youtube video followed by one or two people saying "Hmmm, that seems wrong" before somebody complains about how terrible Snyder fans are.

Even tho these posters are disagreeing, they're both saying this argument is tedious and always goes in circles. So why do we keep doing this? :negative:

CelticPredator posted:

Movie bob sucks

People got annoyed by my Movie Bob derails, but at least with Bob, everyone here, regardless on what they think about Snyder or the Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker or whatever, can agree Movie Bob sucks. And I think it's fun dunking on the guy.

It's way more fun than yelling at each other over Star Wars or Snyder atleast IMO

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 29, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Every time I start thinking people who defend snyder films in this thread have a point and I shouldn't be so hard on his films they make the mistake of posting something he said in an interview and no actually he's trash.

Love being told that I should be happy that the 300 has acres of bare man flesh I should drool at adoringly instead of questioning why any overt homosexuality was stripped out of the story.

Ok guy with McElroy brother av

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Personally I think that Snyder should direct a Dark Souls movie, and we can get Artorias and Ornstein as super spiky boys

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I need to finish watching his Ga'Hoole movie. I loved those books as kids and it's always been wild to me that he made an adaptation of them.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mall Santa Metis posted:

I need to finish watching his Ga'Hoole movie. I loved those books as kids and it's always been wild to me that he made an adaptation of them.

It's probably the least subtle of his movies besides Man of Steel.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAGiscK2Qjo

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

From what I can remember of the books, that's pretty appropriate. The owl warfare was absolutely brutal.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Ok guy with McElroy brother av
Did they write a gay character out of their latest podcast or something? Like I genuinely would like to know what you're insinuating here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Contra points was on a twitch stream playing among us with AOC, that's neat/terrible depending on your PoV I guess!