Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that Miu guessed the the culprit also made use of the camera intervals.

She also immediately pointed fingers at Kirumi and Kiyo during their trials.

All I'm saying is, Miu is the true Ultimate Detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

wologar posted:

Ryoma is the best. Everyone else still has a ways to go.

yeah, rip sweet prince

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget that Miu guessed the the culprit also made use of the camera intervals.

I honestly thought that there was gonna be a reveal at some point that Kokichi was the true Ultimate Detective, because he always seemed like he was 10 steps ahead of everyone, and that Shuichi would just be some dude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Miu had good intuition, but bad reasoning.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

wologar posted:

There was an update that showed JUNKOS in the hidden room with Mothrkuma, saying that the killing game will never end. Now we can infer that was Tsumugi cosplaying, but that's actually impossible because she can only cosplay fictional characters

How do we know the latter?

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

TheDavies posted:

How do we know the latter?

Cospox! It's been a while, but, back in the first investigation, it was established that Tsumugi couldn't have disguised herself as anyone else in the school because she breaks out in hives if she tries to cosplay actual people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How do we know she didn't have a makeup kit or something while she was changing?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rith posted:

Cospox! It's been a while, but, back in the first investigation, it was established that Tsumugi couldn't have disguised herself as anyone else in the school because she breaks out in hives if she tries to cosplay actual people.

How do we know Junko Enoshima is real? If they "remembered" the events of the first game, then it's very possible that false information.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, given the reveal that she is the mastermind it makes cospox feel substantially more suspect. And it was suspect from the start.

That said, it's so stupid I want to believe.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

How do we know she didn't have a makeup kit or something while she was changing?

But she'd have to be like, an ultimate master of disguise to do that! :v:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

VIDEO: The Ninth-to-Last Trial Video

All this time, the mastermind...

...was hiding in plain sight.

:cool:

You don't have anything to say...?

A-Anything to say...?

Even if you keep saying all that stuff...I...still don't get it...

Ah...!

Although we were forced into these class trials by the mastermind, that's how we survived!

It was the only way... It was the only way we could survive!

Please...

Tsumugi...I don't wanna suspect you... I wanna believe in you.

E-Even...if you say that...

Puhuhu... Tsumugi is taking her sweet time, but waiting around is so boring...

What?

C'mon, that's, like, your thing. Present the truth and end this.

Cuz there are people who don't know what the heck is going on until we get to this part!

This one's much shorter than all the others, but it requires a specific order with no wiggle room.

It's still not that hard.

We were waiting for the mastermind to trigger the trap we set in the library.

The mastermind was probably irritated that no murders had yet occurred. After the motive was given, they knew that Kaede was planning something... But the mastermind wanted some insurance. They would take action, if necessary. The mastermind excused themself from the dining hall and went to the bathroom. And from there, to the hidden room in the library that only the mastermind could enter.

With less than an hour before the time limit expired, Rantaro moved the library's bookcase...

It turns out, that was just what the mastermind wanted us to believe. In reality, Kaede's murder plan happened quite differently.

But his fate was sealed.

How's this for a French slant, you bastard!?

And in their hand, the real murder weapon—their own shot put ball.

The mastermind had probably just finished their crime.

...and reached the "truth" that Kaede was the culprit. But that truth had been twisted by the mastermind!

A little careless of them...to not get rid of all the evidence. They probably believed no one would ever get into that room. But we did.

The passageway led from the hidden room all the way to...

While the mastermind was pretending to use the girls bathroom...they were actually using the hidden passageway.

Anyone could have used the hidden passageway, not just the people in the dining hall. But looking at the survivors...only you could possibly be the mastermind.

Please tell us you aren't the mastermind, Tsumugi Shirogane, the Ultimate Cosplayer!

W-Well...what?

Y-Yes! What a scorching hot twist! My hand holding the detonator is tensing up...

D-Don't get tense! C-C-Calm down!

Daddy! Please, stop this!

How I used to be...was more suited to a different story than this one.

...Huh?

Well, Tsumugi? Are there any flaws in Shuichi's logic?

If so, then...please tell us.

F-Flaws? There's a bunch of flaws...all over it.

Y-You can do it! You can do it, Tsumugi!

E-Even if you cheer me on...

Fight back, Tsumugi! C'mon! You can do it, you can do it!

Daddy, you're tensing up again!

I still wanna live so please don't push the button!

Tsumugi, please just say something! If you don't defend yoursel—

...What?

Cuz...it's always been her. In the Hope's Peak killing game and in the Jabberwock Island killing game... Junko Enoshima didn't participate. She controlled the game from outside.

Junko Enoshima is dead. She's not part of this killing game.

Y-You're wrong... She hasn't been eliminated... She's...

Junko Enoshima is?

Cuz Junko Enoshima is...

Junko Enoshima is!?

Look at our cute faces! Can you really bear to be without us!?

Junko Enoshima is...

Junko Enoshima is what!?

No it isn't!

See, we're a good comedy group, too! So please don't—

TSUMUGI: Junko...Enoshima is...

???: Right the gently caress here!

Solitair fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 2, 2023

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aw yeah here it GOES.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Video is private again.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Reveilled posted:

I wish there had been a kind of fourth wall breaking secret ending if you chose Tsumugi as the culprit during the first trial.

As an amusing side note, this is the first game in the series that actually allows you, the player, to cast a vote. Makoto and Hajime automatically cast their votes for the correct culprit. There's one particular trial that forces you to vote for the correct person; Shuichi will bitch if you choose the wrong culprit and then the game forces you to try again. I think it's the Kaito/Kokichi trial. Actually, I think it forces you to vote for Kokichi mid-trial when Shuichi is absolutely convinced that Kaito is the victim. But otherwise you can vote for whoever you want.

It changes absolutely nothing as far as the result; the other characters always vote the same way every time. The only thing it affects is your trial grade, which in turn affects the number of Monocoins you get afterward. It does show the actual vote on the vote tabulation board, though.

Because of this, I just vote for whoever I find amusing at the time. Sometimes I vote for the victim. In the second trial, I double vote along with Kirumi for Shuichi. In the fourth trial, I cast a second vote for Kokichi. I pretty much default to voting for Rantaro. :allears: At some point I need to see what happens if you let the timer run out; Monokuma states several times throughout the game that abstaining from a vote is punishable by death.

It would be interesting to see if anything changes if you vote for Tsumugi in the first trial; it would be really great if they actually put in a special sequence where Shuichi gets called a dumbass for voting for a clearly innocent person.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Video is private again.

Jeez, I need to remember to actually publish the video before posting the update. Y'all can watch it now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's me, Austin!

Aw, son of a bitch.

What?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I went back and read the update where we get plain evidence of what cospox looks like. I noticed that Tsumugi makes a point of saying that her cospox will flare up if she cosplays as someone who exists, not that it will flare up if she cosplays as someone who existed. So, it's possible that this is still Tsumugi since Junko no longer exists (she's dead) and so the cospox can't flare up.

Tsumugi has, after all, utilized careful use of words before (not triggering Motherkuma by avoiding the words 'give birth').

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This gets me every time, hands down the funniest moment in the game

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rarity posted:

This gets me every time, hands down the funniest moment in the game

I think I laughed pretty much from here all the way to the very end of the game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I mean, cospox could have been made up.

Which means that this is the moment that Oma's going to drop the disguise and reveal that 'Tsumugi' was him all along.

It's a plain old lie!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's me, Austin!

Aw, son of a bitch.

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vThKwfGRnfo

...! posted:

As an amusing side note, this is the first game in the series that actually allows you, the player, to cast a vote. Makoto and Hajime automatically cast their votes for the correct culprit. There's one particular trial that forces you to vote for the correct person; Shuichi will bitch if you choose the wrong culprit and then the game forces you to try again. I think it's the Kaito/Kokichi trial. Actually, I think it forces you to vote for Kokichi mid-trial when Shuichi is absolutely convinced that Kaito is the victim. But otherwise you can vote for whoever you want.

It changes absolutely nothing as far as the result; the other characters always vote the same way every time. The only thing it affects is your trial grade, which in turn affects the number of Monocoins you get afterward. It does show the actual vote on the vote tabulation board, though.

Because of this, I just vote for whoever I find amusing at the time. Sometimes I vote for the victim. In the second trial, I double vote along with Kirumi for Shuichi. In the fourth trial, I cast a second vote for Kokichi. I pretty much default to voting for Rantaro. :allears: At some point I need to see what happens if you let the timer run out; Monokuma states several times throughout the game that abstaining from a vote is punishable by death.

It would be interesting to see if anything changes if you vote for Tsumugi in the first trial; it would be really great if they actually put in a special sequence where Shuichi gets called a dumbass for voting for a clearly innocent person.

I voted for Shuichi in the first trial because I'd rather be dead than live without Kaede I thought it might lead to some extra dialogue, but sadly no. Never thought to try Tsumugi though, I didn't do a replay of the game

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Reveilled posted:

I think I laughed pretty much from here all the way to the very end of the game.

I just love how clearly the game says 'yes we're tired of this bullshit too'

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
goddamnit junko. 3 games and an anime later and that goon who posted on like page 1 of the first game is still right.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Hell yeah

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vThKwfGRnfo

I voted for Shuichi in the first trial because I'd rather be dead than live without Kaede I thought it might lead to some extra dialogue, but sadly no. Never thought to try Tsumugi though, I didn't do a replay of the game

I can't wait for the retroactive plot twist that Tengan was brainwashed to believe he was Junko.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Falconer posted:

I went back and read the update where we get plain evidence of what cospox looks like. I noticed that Tsumugi makes a point of saying that her cospox will flare up if she cosplays as someone who exists, not that it will flare up if she cosplays as someone who existed. So, it's possible that this is still Tsumugi since Junko no longer exists (she's dead) and so the cospox can't flare up.

Tsumugi has, after all, utilized careful use of words before (not triggering Motherkuma by avoiding the words 'give birth').

That would be my guess. Otherwise the writers would be making trying to lampshade something dumb by doing it. No writer would ever do something that dumb, right?

*turns and states into camera*

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

TwoPair posted:

I honestly thought that there was gonna be a reveal at some point that Kokichi was the true Ultimate Detective, because he always seemed like he was 10 steps ahead of everyone, and that Shuichi would just be some dude.

It's clearly shown multiple times throughout the game that Kokichi is by far the most intelligent of all of them, including Shuichi. He figures out quite a few things before Shuichi does (and in this chapter we see that he even figured out several things that Shuichi never did!) but doesn't share his thoughts with him because of his own deeply suspicious/paranoid nature. His whiteboard shows that he thinks he can trust Shuichi but isn't 100% sure, so he doesn't take the chance. Even Tsumugi pointed out that the others would have stood a much better chance if Kokichi had just worked with everyone rather than trying to do everything himself.

So, again, Kokichi is the best. :colbert:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Falconer posted:

Funnily enough, other than the obvious point that cospox was made up by Junko, there's also technically a possibility that Junko actually does has cospox, and since she cosplayed the whole game as the nonexistent Tsumugi, it didn't trigger.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

eating only apples posted:

Tsumugi has been easily the worst, most boring character in the game and only now am I getting why some people really seem to like her, respond to posts cosplaying as her, etc. Just assumed she wasn't for me but no she is actually boring on purpose.

I actually loved her and finished her free time events... right after Kokichi and Miu.

I sure did pick em.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Falconer posted:

It's a good theory, but the evidence of the flashback light machine giving contradictory memories hasn't come up yet, so it's much more likely that Junko Enoshima never existed, and the killing game has been orchestrated by a cosplayer who fully dedicates herself to the roles she plays.

Furthermore, there's a hint in the title, isn't there? This isn't exactly a sequel.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

...! posted:

It's clearly shown multiple times throughout the game that Kokichi is by far the most intelligent of all of them, including Shuichi. He figures out quite a few things before Shuichi does (and in this chapter we see that he even figured out several things that Shuichi never did!) but doesn't share his thoughts with him because of his own deeply suspicious/paranoid nature. His whiteboard shows that he thinks he can trust Shuichi but isn't 100% sure, so he doesn't take the chance. Even Tsumugi pointed out that the others would have stood a much better chance if Kokichi had just worked with everyone rather than trying to do everything himself.

So, again, Kokichi is the best. :colbert:

Totally disagree that Kokichi is smarter than Shuichi, Shuichi just has a different deduction style where he gets every single fact possible and then works through them one at a time (for the purposes of gameplay), he never failed to arrive at the truth. Kokichi is a lot more proactive though, and basically wasted no time hanging out with people, he seems to have been dedicating every moment to clue hunting.

I think definitive proof that Shuichi is smarter than Kokichi comes from Shuichi single-handedly unravelling Kokichi's master plan. Kokichi was sure that his plan would work and even gave his life for that purpose but Shuichi broke through it.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
One of my current hypotheses is that somehow this is all boring-Makoto's idea, all the Dangitronald games a fiction that he came up with and other people are making a reality for some reason. I don't really know how to explain everything that's going on like the school and the crazy technology but he's got to be involved somehow, I don't see why else they would just drop in someone using Naegi's name like that.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SoundwaveAU posted:

Totally disagree that Kokichi is smarter than Shuichi, Shuichi just has a different deduction style where he gets every single fact possible and then works through them one at a time (for the purposes of gameplay), he never failed to arrive at the truth. Kokichi is a lot more proactive though, and basically wasted no time hanging out with people, he seems to have been dedicating every moment to clue hunting.

I think definitive proof that Shuichi is smarter than Kokichi comes from Shuichi single-handedly unravelling Kokichi's master plan. Kokichi was sure that his plan would work and even gave his life for that purpose but Shuichi broke through it.

Highly disagree -- the most important information here between the two of them is that Kokichi doesn't brush Gonta off. Gonta is talking about the tiny bugs for ages and nobody but Kokichi believes him. Kokichi also sees what Miu can bring to the table and actively works with her. Kokichi is absolutely used to pulling together outcasts, and that's what he tries to do here, too.

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

SoundwaveAU posted:

I'm not sure I can agree with Kokichi being sure that his plan would work -- I feel like he found himself in an awful situation where someone had to die, and just threw together the best plan he could under the circumstances.

Of course that's just my opinion; unless I'm forgetting something, there isn't any solid evidence either way re: Kokichi's faith in his plan's success.

Arkanian fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 28, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The real thing I'm getting from the last cases is that people really underutilized Miu while she was alive. She built so much useful poo poo for Kokichi (and Keebo) behind the scenes that her making some automatic motion cameras out of disposable cameras in case 1 seems like amateur hour poo poo. Shuichi (and everyone else) should have yanked her off that giant Xbox and had her whip up some more anti-Monokuma tech like the electrobombs/hammers.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SoundwaveAU posted:

Keep in mind that Kokichi was under the gun, so to speak, to figure things out quickly. He had to alter his plan on the fly once Maki unexpectedly broke in and shot him, drastically reducing the amount of time he had to finish the plan. She forced him to make a lot of last minute changes and explain things to Kaito and write a gigantic script for Kaito to follow and coach Kaito on how to convincingly portray him, all while highly weakened and in pain from the poison. That's pretty drat impressive.

Could Shuichi have figured out a plan that Kokichi had had full time to create? Doubtful.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The smartest person in the room is obviously Himiko because how the hell is she still alive.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm 110% sure they're all thick as pigshit because if you were trying to murder someone and get away with it you'd very obviously go for the person who's special skill is solving (but not preventing) murders, and none of them have done it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Deformed Church posted:

I'm 110% sure they're all thick as pigshit because if you were trying to murder someone and get away with it you'd very obviously go for the person who's special skill is solving (but not preventing) murders, and none of them have done it.

AU version where Shuichi is the first killer, and Kaede remains the protagonist for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Quackles posted:

AU version where Shuichi is the first killer, and Kaede remains the protagonist for the rest of the game.

I read a fanfic with this exact premise. Shuichi sacrifices himself to save Kaede in the first trial, and Monokuma just rolls with it. Kaede develops a serious grudge against the mastermind for killing Shuichi. She goes after them much more actively than he does, since she already knows they don't really give a poo poo about the rules (believing, of course, that she was the killer).