Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kenny played for more than 1/3 of all the teams, including playing three stints with cleveland. my favorite lofton experience is when he played for the sox and cubs in 2002 and 2003 just doing cool poo poo in chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Joe Rexrode is a Tennessee based writer for the athletic who covers the Titans and today he wrote about the Sarah Fuller story. I feel like the first two paragraphs pretty much confirmed the subscription price was worth it.

quote:

“I’m so nervous for her,” my wife said, during an hour of SEC Network pregame coverage that preceded more than three hours of Vanderbilt-Missouri football watching that most certainly would not have been a shared family experience except for Sarah Fuller.

I felt the same way. I’m guessing a lot of people did. And I blame the shitheads for that. The good news is, I don’t think Fuller paid them any mind this week.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

I'm on a free year of the Athletic from tmobile and I have to say it's real good. If you jumped on a free month a year or two back I think it's gotten a lot better especially on long form and national stuff.

I will counter that I think it's gotten much worse, they care less about local and the national stuff is mostly the ESPN hacks I went to the Athletic to get away from.

$12 is worth taking a dice roll on it I guess to see if one likes it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't follow or care about much of the national stuff. But I love the dudes who are covering the Bulls/Bears/Cubs/White Sox. And think they do great work.

I think that's what it's going to come down to for people

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’ve definitely gotten more national but I personally haven’t noticed that affect the quality of the local writing I follow on there any. I don’t think think a month has passed that I haven’t gotten more than double my moneys worth out of the athletic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe now that LaMelo Ball is in Charlotte they’ll spend the money to hire a new Hornets writer

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dexo posted:

I don't follow or care about much of the national stuff. But I love the dudes who are covering the Bulls/Bears/Cubs/White Sox. And think they do great work.

I think that's what it's going to come down to for people

The Seattle beat guys are great, too. The Seahawks writer Michael-Shawn Dugar has been fantastic, in particular.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They hired the good Blazers writer, they’ve got decent college football writers nationally and for Oregon, and their coverage of the Premier League is really good. I re-upped at full price and I’m perfectly fine with that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bill Madden and the NYDN are at it again, this time running a claim that the Phillies lost $2 billion this year, then quietly changing it to a $145 million loss estimate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Every couple weeks the athletic busts out a piece like this and it justifies so much of the cost by itself

"‘It was soccer on cocaine’: The brief, wild life of Socker Slam"

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DJExile posted:

Every couple weeks the athletic busts out a piece like this and it justifies so much of the cost by itself

"‘It was soccer on cocaine’: The brief, wild life of Socker Slam"

I am continuously amazed about the depths of how terrible American culture got from about 1998-2003

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

LionYeti posted:

I am continuously amazed about the depths of how terrible American culture got from about 1998-2003

how dare you disrespect the legacy of soccer slam, butts up, get ready

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

LionYeti posted:

That was the peak of American society. It's all been downhill since then.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

How is rumor formed. Sweet throwback in this week's jambroo.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Oooooooff

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:chloe:

in much better things:

https://twitter.com/elleduncanESPN/status/1334986403390910468

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/hegelbon/status/492741034749620224?lang=en

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/nkalamb/status/1336094821950296064?s=20

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

end of an era

https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1337177529078198275

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Ringer union is currently doing a two hour "walk out" --which as an aside seems weird, do they all log out of slack or something -- and hourly pay is at issue.
https://twitter.com/RingerUnion/status/1337450127938621440

Cool company Bill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The Ringer union is currently doing a two hour "walk out" --which as an aside seems weird, do they all log out of slack or something -- and hourly pay is at issue.
https://twitter.com/RingerUnion/status/1337450127938621440

Cool company Bill.

Log off of Slack with an announcement or away message of what you’re doing, stop writing, editing, etc. That’s all you can really do in the remote age but it does get management’s attention.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is insanely hosed up, someone there worked really hard to find a way around california labor law.

Anyway Bill Simmons has 5 houses.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
"You're guaranteed to have to work 50 hours a week!" doesn't really seem like a selling point.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alexander Hamilton posted:

"You're guaranteed to have to work 50 hours a week!" doesn't really seem like a selling point.

it might be okay if it meant 10 hours of OT I guess (though mandatory OT sucks) but yeah this is just them artificially deflating their base pay and pretending to do them a favor, it is super hosed up!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

That is insanely hosed up, someone there worked really hard to find a way around california labor law.

Anyway Bill Simmons has 5 houses.

I saw someone comment that it's a common pay structure for PAs. Hollywood, baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I saw someone comment that it's a common pay structure for PAs. Hollywood, baby

They're working out of a studio lot and had HBO bankrolling them to some extent so that would make sense. I just know when I was living there hourly people got OT for every minute over 8 hours in a day OR over 40 hours in a week at every place I worked, but bending over backwards to enable shady hollywood poo poo is pretty standard

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's been a while since I did PA stuff but generally if you're being hired as a one off or for some small project as a PA you're going to get a day rate. So it'll be like you get 175 for the day. And that includes the entire day...even if its 12 or 14 hours. Now starting out most PA's just eat it. However if you're working on an actual reputable job you can ask for your OT hours too because California state laws are pretty strict about working hours. So if you're an editor and you get hired and the verbal is like "500 for a guaranteed 10." Meaning you're going to be paid 500 dollars today for 10 hours of work. And if you exceed that then you're owed the OT hours.

Now if you're working on a full union set even if you're not union the producers should be building in guaranteed meal times and everything. So even if you're the lowest on the totem pole PA you should be getting your time off to eat and whatever. Its very weird to me to be working in an office environment though and just not be straight hourly. Its curious to structure it the way they did especially given what we've heard about how they don't let people work outside of the Ringer on their own to make extra money or whatever.

At Fox Sports when I started I was hired as a PA but I was not a freelance per se. I wasn't getting paid in 1099, i was being paid from payroll with taxes deducted and we would punch in and out and get 30 minute guaranteed meal time etc. And if you broke 8 hours in a day or 40+ in a week you'd hit OT payscale.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ben Strauss has one hell of a detailed account about the downfall of Manish Mehta. He sounds like a real peach.

quote:

After the season, the Jets turned to a law firm, Foley & Lardner LLP, for help. The firm compiled a dossier, according to two people who have seen it, that called out reporting the Jets said crossed the line from aggressive to inappropriate, including allegations that Mehta approached the 11-year-old son of Jets General Manager Joe Douglas at a baseball game and, later, threatened Douglas with bad coverage if he didn’t grant an interview.

In 2011, Jenny Vrentas, then the Jets reporter for the Star-Ledger, was conducting a one-on-one interview. In a locker room on a crowded beat, one-on-one’s are sacred for journalists, arranged with the team ahead of time or directly with players. As she saw Mehta lurking nearby, she asked Mehta not to encroach.

Afterward, in a hallway outside the media room, Mehta screamed at her, according to multiple people who were there, cursing repeatedly: “F--- you! F--- you! F--- you!” The tirade lasted several minutes, these people said, and two other writers had to calm Mehta down.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1338043237982879745

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Dwight Howard seems like the kind of person who would buy an exotic animal as a housepet (as a bad joke), not know how to take care of it, then have to get help, so that all makes sense.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Dwight Howard seems like the kind of person who would buy an exotic animal as a housepet (as a bad joke), not know how to take care of it, then have to get help, so that all makes sense.

Hey, I have two things in common with Dwight Howard!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The pivot to SBNation's blogger model from 10 years ago must not be going well because SI just announced a bunch of hires

https://twitter.com/rynhnt/status/1338617321020121089?s=20

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

morestuff posted:

The pivot to SBNation's blogger model from 10 years ago must not be going well because SI just announced a bunch of hires

Howard Beck had been lowkey hyping his hire for a bit so he must feel like he has some editorial support behind the push as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Wasn't the thing always that they had a handful of big names to hide that they were mostly a free content farm? Which is kind of the model bleacher report was using when Beck was there

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/1338903159985504256?s=19

Seth Davis compares college basketball continuing to play in a pandemic to grocery store staying open.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Katie Strang and Ken Rosenthal of the Athletic have a very heavy read about Omar Vizquel's history of domestic violence

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/joevardon/status/1339209047275409408?s=21

Owners gotta negotiate shock collars into the new CBA

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Hater's Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalog is up.
https://defector.com/the-2020-haters-guide-to-the-williams-sonoma-catalog/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Oh no, I need to buy an account! Whomst has a discount or referral or such for me?