Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

For iRacing I have 'X' on my G29 set to say "Yeeehaw!" in the text chat. It's very useful for ovals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shameful that you don't have "NEVER LIFT" bound to a macro for ARCA brakes moments.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa

Theris posted:

Obviously it's entirely personal preference, but here's how I'd setup a G29's face buttons:

One pair of L/R buttons set to Previous Black Box and Next Black Box
Dpad Down/Up set to Select Previous Control/Select Next control
Either Dpad Left/Right, the other pair of L/R buttons, the -/+ buttons, or rotary switch to Decrement Selected Control/Increment Selected Control
Either Dpad Left/Right or the other pair of L/R buttons to Look Left/Look Right (if you're on monitor(s), if you're using VR you can use them for something else)
The "Enter/Return" button in the middle of the rotary control set to "Toggle Selected Control"

Between the Circle/X/Square/Triangle buttons you need
Pit Speed Limiter
Push to talk
Headlight flash on GT cars/Tear off Visor on open wheel cars
Also Mute Driver is nice to have, or you could use the fourth as a "go faster" button on cars with DRS or Push-to-Pass, or traction control toggle on cars with TC

Whatever you aren't using in the black box/view controls out of +/-, the rotary switch, or L/R buttons for in car adjustments as needed for each car (Brake bias, ABS/TC, etc)

Great advice, thank you!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Taborcarn posted:

Hello all, new to sim racing in general here and just got a gift sub to iracing thanks to House of the dad.

Not gonna lie I’m kind of overwhelmed with all the options after just one practice session with the MX5, but I’m eager to dive in and start learning. At the very least I got my G29 configured, now I just need to figure out what I want to set the face buttons to.

I’ll join the discord, but my online times are probably going to be limited, after 9PM US East most likely after my kids are in bed. They’re age 4 and 7 so they’re too attention-demanding for me to do most other times. Still hopeful I can do some events down the line.

Stick with one car for awhile (the MX5 is solid) so you get a feel for it, don't jump around car classes.

Figure out what track the MX5 is racing this week (iRacing is more like a real racing league than an online videogame, so there's a set schedule for sanctioned races that moves once a week to a new track) and practice that track specifically several times
(Newbie leagues like the rookie MX-5 only use free tracks too, so that's nice for you to save money)

Once you feel pretty confident doing practice laps in one car on one track, then race that one track. If you crash, no biggie, poo poo happens. Just do your best.

By focusing on one car and one track per week, you'll do much better.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Surviving rookies is more about racing clean and driving consistent than being aggressive and making passes. Welcome to the Rabbit Hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsKm8irA7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gH_rfWRqs

These are aimed more at oval racing, but lots of it still applies to road racing.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 27, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Seat time is the most important thing. Do a lot of laps. Get to where you know the track and can reasonably keep your lap times within a second of each other. Then go race.

My G29 is set like so:

L/R: Look left, right.
Up/Down: Next/previous black box option
L3: Tow/return to pit
L2: Pit speed limiter
R2: can’t remember.
R3: mute driver.
Triangle: tear off/wipers
Circle: push to talk
X: Flash headlights
Square: can’t remember.

+: precious black box
-: next black box
Red wheel:
clockwise: increment selected control
ccw: decrement selected control
center button: toggle selected control

share button: say “pass left”
option button: say “pass right.”
PlayStation button: clear tires and refuel black box options (super handy; you can use the auto-text options for other things as well).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What's the correct GT3 car to buy? Leaning towards the Audi R8 LMS just based on liking the car IRL, but I'm sure there's a best meta option.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

What's the correct GT3 car to buy? Leaning towards the Audi R8 LMS just based on liking the car IRL, but I'm sure there's a best meta option.

I really like the Merc. It’s extremely easy to drive, but also apparently the least competitive car in the class.

:v:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The Audi is currently the quickest overall, but is fairly difficult to drive. The BMW and Merc are the easiest to drive, of the two the BMW is more competitive currently. (Probably the second overall after the Audi) The Ferrari is easier than the Audi but harder than the Merc/BMW and is the slowest in straight line speed, but is ok on twistier tracks. The Mclaren actively tries to kill you, and the Ford is a special snowflake that no one uses for a reason.

So the answer is probably the BMW. Audi if you like tail-happy cars and are good at finding and riding the limit before it snap-oversteers.

Theris fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So what you're saying is I should buy the bmw but I'm probably going to buy the Audi and immediately get demoted

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I have the Merc and the Ferrari, and like the Ferrari because the Ferrari has indicators for when the ABS and TC activates, whereas the Merc (incorrectly) does not, but the Merc is easier to drive and I find myself driving it when available. The Merc is also available in IMSA, VRS, and NES (when it's running), which is nice. I'm not fast enough to really take advantage of whatever car is the best in the meta, and would rather just drive what I'm comfortable with, because that leads to more races completed without huge issues, and therefore better iRating, for me.

That said, I haven't driven a GT3 in a while, been focusing more on downforce cars the past few seasons, driving the Road To Indy cars, and this season the Dallara P217

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I think the Ferrari is the overall most bang for your buck gt3. It’s a little more challenging to drive but it’s a great car.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

share button: say “pass left”
option button: say “pass right.”

I’ve found these good while being a newbie myself. Helps other drivers overtake safely and prevents incidents which is important for getting your SR up. They were the first actions I mapped after adding more buttons to my g25.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pass left and pass right are actually super irritating because I don’t want someone trundling around for SR swerving out of the way instead of just holding their line and being predictable.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Pass left and pass right are actually super irritating because I don’t want someone trundling around for SR swerving out of the way instead of just holding their line and being predictable.
Yeah, please just drive your car

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Best way to let someone pass is just to lift enough on a straight so they can get alongside at the braking and then brake a touch early so you can slot in behind.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

This. I don't have time to cross reference the black boxes to figure out. If it's multiclass and you're the slower car, just hold your racing line and we'll make it happen, leaving room where appropriate. The most dangerous thing to do is swerve off line at corner exit on a slower car, because the best way to make a pass is for the faster car to compromise their line slightly and duck underneath on exit. Faster cars have more grip, more power, and more downforce. When they're running behind a fully committed GT through a corner, they're at like 70%, and can easily change their line to make the pass. Let them make the decision.

In a single class race, just lift near the middle to end of the straight and let the car get the overlap, and brake a little early for the next corner. They'll make it happen easily.

The best and safest thing to do is be predictable and hold your line, it'll compromise your time the least, far better than swerving around or lifting suddenly out of a corner.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 28, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KillHour posted:

So what you're saying is I should buy the bmw but I'm probably going to buy the Audi and immediately get demoted

Or wait until the start of next season and get the Lambo so you can benefit from new car OP. And immediately get demoted since it's basically the Audi under a different body shape and I assume it'll drive pretty similarly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Theris posted:

Or wait until the start of next season and get the Lambo so you can benefit from new car OP. And immediately get demoted since it's basically the Audi under a different body shape and I assume it'll drive pretty similarly.

Totally doing this. Gonna drive me a Huracan :dance:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

This. I don't have time to cross reference the black boxes to figure out. If it's multiclass and you're the slower car, just hold your racing line and we'll make it happen, leaving room where appropriate. The most dangerous thing to do is swerve off line at corner exit on a slower car, because the best way to make a pass is for the faster car to compromise their line slightly and duck underneath on exit. Faster cars have more grip, more power, and more downforce. When they're running behind a fully committed GT through a corner, they're at like 70%, and can easily change their line to make the pass. Let them make the decision.

In a single class race, just lift near the middle to end of the straight and let the car get the overlap, and brake a little early for the next corner. They'll make it happen easily.

The best and safest thing to do is be predictable and hold your line, it'll compromise your time the least, far better than swerving around or lifting suddenly out of a corner.

I don’t think anyone has suggested that the “pass left/right” buttons are a substitute for racecraft. But there are certainly situatons where it’s helpful to let another driver know which side is better for a pass. Best example I can think of is screwing up a corner with traffic bearing down and your car is no longer where one would expect it to be, or otherwise compromised.

99% of the time there’s not much call for it, but I’ve found it worth a couple of out-of-the-way binds. Worst case is that the other driver ignores the message and passes anyway.

edit: but yeah, don’t use them for normal traffic/passing situations.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't assume anyone else has whatever communication method you are using. Assuming they saw it and then acting in that fashion is a quick way to get crashed and protested. Telegraph with your car what you plan to do. In most cases, they are already planning to pass you and have set up their move. All you have to do is wait for that move to happen and then let off the gas a bit so the move is easier. If they are in the same car and you want them to pass but they can't get it set up, then let off the gas on a straight (do not brake). They will hopefully see the speed differential and go around. There's no need to actually talk to anyone. Real race car drivers figure this stuff out without texting or calling each other.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What split are you guys driving in where people are pushing “pass left” and then swerving right?

/me goes to remap my button to say: “I have telegraphed with my car that your best option is to pass on the left, and this message is to confirm that I will not swerve in front of you as you pass.”

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

What split are you guys driving in where people are pushing “pass left” and then swerving right?

/me goes to remap my button to say: “I have telegraphed with my car that your best option is to pass on the left, and this message is to confirm that I will not swerve in front of you as you pass.”

Every single split where someone tries driving someone else's car.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Communication with others via text or voice is a crutch that you should work on never having to use, not something to get defensive about when other people point out you shouldnt need to tell somebody faster than you how you want them to pass.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
If you don’t use all the options available to avoid getting murdered by lapping/faster cars then when it happens there’s nobody to blame other than yourself imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OhsH posted:

Communication with others via text or voice is a crutch that you should work on never having to use

This is my life philosophy

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't pay any attention to what other drivers say because I don't trust them to actually be able to identify the safest way for me to pass them, also there have been a non-zero number of occasions where someone will have pulled a bonehead move then yelled about 'I TOLD YOU TO PASS LEFT!!!11' as if it makes a difference.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Can't see pass left if you disable chat overlays while racing (voice is always off).

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Can't see pass left if you disable chat overlays while racing (voice is always off).

how will you know how to pass people slower than you???

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

OhsH posted:

how will you know how to pass people slower than you???

I don't pass! I'm here for SR - negative SR that is. I just ram them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

OhsH posted:

Communication with others via text or voice is a crutch that you should work on never having to use, not something to get defensive about when other people point out you shouldnt need to tell somebody faster than you how you want them to pass.

Ehhhhhh…this isn’t the local track where you see the same 20 people all the time and talk with them before/after the race. At the end of the day it’s a piece of software where you’re gonna be racing with a vastly different frequency, quantity, and quality of driver than you would in real life. On any given day, you’re usually racing with random people that you may not have raced with before, on a track that may be relatively new to some, who also have a wide variety of skill levels. Voice and text can help bridge the gap.

Personally, I use the “pass left/right” button maybe once every four or five races. It’s not a command to the other driver, it’s confirming your intentions in an unusual situation.

Idunno. Conversely it’s kind of funny to me that people are so religious about this. If you don’t like it, just ignore it. Worst case the pass takes an extra corner.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 28, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I don't like to recommend it to people because even if you, as the one being passed, are communicating in a perfectly obvious (to you at least) way, you can still gently caress everything up by confusing the guy behind into doing the wrong thing. Fewer signals are easier to process, and most people aren't expecting a text signal in the first place.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I communicate because the people that do Iracing are very funny and it is a window into the people who watch this is us and vote trump

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Powers posted:

What headset? You may need to use AlignmentFix and if WMR, you may need to use NoInterEyeRotation (a WMR setting, not iRacing). I spent months using revive for iRacing because of this problem, but for me NoInterEyeRotation solved it (along with one of the AlignmentFix settings)

E: my basic understanding is that iRacing is one of a few games that doesn't pay any attention to the headset alignment parameters. If your headset doesn't have perfect alignment, there are parameters that can be used to render correctly still. iRacing has somehow messed this up to the point where there's a setting with 4 values (1 off, 3 different types) to try to fix it. The claim is that this is related to SPS on Nvidia cards, but I still had problems even with SPS off. For me, I had to go to the WMR settings and enable NoInterEyeRotation which I assume tells the API that the game does not perform inter-eye rotation, but tbh, I have not found any documentation for what this actually does or means. This set of issues seems to be specific to the OpenVR implementation, as using Revive and the Oculus implementation is fine except for the performance hit.

Basically, I have little faith in the graphics engine devs, between this whole thing and the incredibly poor performance on certain maps in certain sections.

E: vvvv here is a reference on the iRacing forums: https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3657475.page#11660018

Thanks past self! Getting everything set back up on the new PC and knew I was going to need this, and it was the first result for me on Google!

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I verbally communicate to the leader(s) if I’m about to be lapped where I’m going to go, it’s usually appreciated and I start that communication when I see they are 1-2 seconds behind me and gaining.

It’s also track dependent where I go. Big wide track I’ll go high out of the racing line. Smaller tight track, I’ll slow down on the straights to let them pass. Road courses I’ll do the same, slow down out of the racing line before a turn. But I always try to let them know what I’m doing if I can and I’m in that situation. Most other drivers do the same, it’s appreciated in what the poster above said, it’s a video game with usually random people.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Road courses I’ll do the same, slow down out of the racing line before a turn.

You may be doing this the right way, but I want to make it clear what "the right way" to do this is: Pull off line while there is still a large gap to the car you're letting by, and slow early enough and by enough that they are clearly past you before the braking zone starts. The wrong way would be to pull off line just before the braking zone and brake early, since in the best case you're going to seem like you're defending from a car lapping you and the worst case is they rear end you as they pull out of the draft to pass you and you effectively block them.

The actual correct thing to do is stay on the racing line and lift a bit and let the lapping car handle making the pass.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theris posted:

The actual correct thing to do is stay on the racing line and lift a bit and let the lapping car handle making the pass.

b e p r e d i c t a b l e

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
We ended up with a field of 23 on Sunday, which is easily the best we've pulled for a GT3 race, good work everyone. And as far as I can tell everyone survived at least the first 4 turns! Amazing scenes.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
That's 400% more turns survived than usual. Some were even in a Ford GT3 and survived.
(the one that spun before the start line does not count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are you counting turns from the pacing start?