Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I loving love Mike Tyson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Rjj looks sad as gently caress lol

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

jarofpiss posted:

lmao imagine putting money on that

How do you put money on an exhibition match with an unofficial scoring system, this literally had the same legal status as a pro wrestling match

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Stealth Tiger posted:

How do you put money on an exhibition match with an unofficial scoring system, this literally had the same legal status as a pro wrestling match
Draftkings baby!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bringing two old legends out to do an exhibition for a pretend, unofficial title, and the bout finishing as a draw with dodgy scorecards is the most boxing thing ever imo

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Akbar posted:

I loving love Mike Tyson

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
This is the biggest bullshit "draw" since that Chinese mma fighter vs tai chi guy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaddish posted:

I'm very much aware of Foreman's comeback, and yeah. Give me my moment

The moment was good; absolutely down to watch other legendary fighters have hard sparring sessions.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The draw is fine for what this was anyone who watched they knew Mike could have really hurt him

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

The moment was good; absolutely down to watch other legendary fighters have hard sparring sessions.

Same!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Stealth Tiger posted:

You can bet on pro wrestling matches.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So do you'll think RJJ underperform more so due to his age or just not training as much as Mike?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That was way, way more entertaining than I expected

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
That was the most entertained I've ever been by any combat sports event and any sporting event since (maybe) the last 3 minutes of game 7 of the 2016 NBA Finals

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
This is no exaggeration the worst live sporting event from start to finish I have ever seen. Between the hour and half of cringey live performances, horrible matchups, refs that don't know what they're doing, youtubers vs nba hacks and the rigged draw of final fight that Tyson absolutely won I am in awe. Tyson held back and had so many chances to just end it but didn't because of predetermined outcomes. I get it's just a money making scam for the event organizers and easy pay days/publicity for the fighters but my god what a poo poo show.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do you'll think RJJ underperform more so due to his age or just not training as much as Mike?

His style was based on speed and when you're 51, you're not going to be fast enough to slip punches

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

I like it. No lie. Would watch Tyson again

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

This is no exaggeration the worst live sporting event from start to finish I have ever seen. Between the hour and half of cringey live performances, horrible matchups, refs that don't know what they're doing, youtubers vs nba hacks and the rigged draw of final fight that Tyson absolutely won I am in awe. Tyson held back and had so many chances to just end it but didn't because of predetermined outcomes. I get it's just a money making scam for the event organizers and easy pay days/publicity for the fighters but my god what a poo poo show.

You need to watch more sports.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MakaVillian posted:

His style was based on speed and when you're 51, you're not going to be fast enough to slip punches

Mike Tyson's style was based a lot on speed too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Virginia Slams posted:

but it was fun op

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Virginia Slams posted:

Tyson gave 100% of his purse to charity

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I enjoyed myself, but I'm on the 'find a better opponent' train as well.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mike Tyson's style was based a lot on speed too.

Well yeah but Tyson is still more orthodox, RJJ used to rely on his speed to attack and then jump out of range before he could get hit, that's harder to do as you age

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tyson said he wanted to fight Anderson Silva? I can't imagine Tyson would get the upper hand with that since he's just a boxer.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

MoaM posted:

I enjoyed myself, but I'm on the 'find a better opponent' train as well.

I so very much want to see him fight Holyfield again

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes.

Yomofo717
Nov 1, 2020
I was entertained by the last two fights. It's hard to expect a lot from two guys in their 50s, with a fight sponsored by Weedmaps. Snoop's commentary helped a lot. If Tyson fought again, I'd watch it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tyson looked good and Jones didn't get badly hurt; that's a win.

What's the next fantasy match up? Holyfield is in good shape but I wouldn't want them to actually hurt each other.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Kaddish posted:

You need to watch more sports.

Idk I guess I was hoping for a semi serious pay per view event and not some weird pseudo WWE boxing event sponsored by weedmaps lol.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Tyson said he wanted to fight Anderson Silva? I can't imagine Tyson would get the upper hand with that since he's just a boxer.

This cannot be a real post.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

Idk I guess I was hoping for a semi serious pay per view event and not some weird pseudo WWE boxing event sponsored by weedmaps lol.

I thought we had some good boxing on display overall?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Kaddish posted:

I thought we had some good boxing on display overall?

The first 2 fights yea and the final fight minus Tyson's reluctance to end it

edit 2(im dumb): my mistake by first 2 I meant the last prelim Jamaine Ortiz vs. Nahir Albright and Irvin Gonzalez vs. Edward Vasquez

Virginia Slams fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 29, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

I don't know if you've ever watched any other boxing events, but every boxing event for the last 20 years is much worse than this.

That said, I don't disagree with you.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Virginia Slams posted:

The first 2 fights yea and the final fight minus Tyson's reluctance to end it

Yes, I agree Tyson could have ended the bout at any point after like 60 seconds in the first round.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

What a weird ending. Tyson looked dumbfounded when they first told him it was a draw, and I don't think he's that good an actor to have known

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Virginia Slams posted:

The best bit about these novelty cards is these people when they show up.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

I did not realize Tyson had a Chairman Mao tattoo lol

Everybody's got a five-year plan until they get hit.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

That was more or less my first time watching boxing and I was fairly entertained.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hollandia posted:

Everybody's got a five-year plan until they get hit.

Lol nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kaddish posted:

This cannot be a real post.

Boxer's only never do good in MMA. They always get taken to the ground.