Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

SLUM KING posted:

Rey is the easily the most mistreated world champion of all time. A better, less racist company would have built around him (and Eddy) and made some huge loving money but Vince is a dumb bigot who booked the greatest face of the last 30 years as a joke.
My favorite piece of bad Mysterio booking from that time period was his match against RVD. It's non-title of course, and the finish was RVD placing a chair on top of Rey and going for a frog splash. Rey manages to toss the chair away right before the moment of impact, and then just... gets pinned anyway.

Like the obvious story directions would be Rey taking the devastating chair-assisted move and losing valiantly, or getting the chair out of the way just in time and kicking out at 2.99999... but lol nah they came up with a 3rd option that made everyone look less cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
All I remember about Rey as champion is when Great Khali squashed him completely effortlessly and pinning him with his foot, while JBL yelled "HAHA COME ON MEXICAN" and such. WWE blows.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
was there an AEW show last night?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

"Finally won the big one at the big one, then beat KENTA, had many months off before an interminable feud with EVIL where he dropped the titles in his 2nd defence, won it back immediately & then his first defence of that reign was also against EVIL."

From the last page but my the funniest part to me about Naito vs EVIL is that Naito himself in one of his promos basically went, "Really? I'm fighting EVIL again? This is like the 4th time this year. If you decide to skip our match, I get it, I do. It'll be a great match, but yeah. I get it."

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

was there an AEW show last night?

No you’re probably thinking of Dynamite on Wed which has the title match.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was, thanks

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Was Master Wato ever good? I thought he was a well regarded young lion and that there was a desire for him to come back from excursion but now, he’s a joke right?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t Master Wato the flying anteater that owned Darth Vader’s mom?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

Was Master Wato ever good? I thought he was a well regarded young lion and that there was a desire for him to come back from excursion but now, he’s a joke right?

Look at comments on him from Cagematch from 2017 & 2018. It's all stuff like "He is the best young lion in New Japan History, great moves and great storytelling for a guy who have 21 years. He will be the next ace of the company and IWGP Heavyweight champion as well" & "I can definitely see him as a future star in the light heavyweight division, Kawato has all the tools to make it big." He was absolutely a good Young Lion. And then had a disastrously underwhelming excursion in CMLL & got stuck with a dumb gimmick while also seemingly being real uncoordinated & poo poo.

That said, it's been 6 months, there's nothing to say he can't recover from this. There was at least hints of a solid guy in there.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

TV Zombie posted:

He was goofy but had a certain amount of charisma and promise when he was a young lion. Then he went to Mexico and never got better. In fact, he got worse. He botched more catches than the Miz. He was so sloppy and bad that I can't get behind even ironic Wato love. He stunk up every match he was in in Mexico, and he was dangerous while doing it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn’t Master Wato the flying anteater that owned Darth Vader’s mom?

That was Master Watto, underrated high flyer from the Tatooine territory

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Big Bidness posted:

He was goofy but had a certain amount of charisma and promise when he was a young lion. Then he went to Mexico and never got better. In fact, he got worse. He botched more catches than the Miz. He was so sloppy and bad that I can't get behind even ironic Wato love. He stunk up every match he was in in Mexico, and he was dangerous while doing it.

I think it's unfair to say he stunk up every match he was in. He was mostly fine towards the end of the excursion in random six mans on Puebla cards, and when Volcano was in the match he wasn't even close to the worst wrestler!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

master wato

bartok
May 10, 2006

Honestly I really liked the recent match Wato had against El Desperado otherwise I haven't been too impressed but he hasn't been complete garbage during the Best of the Super Juniors.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Wato noticably improved towards the end of his run in CMLL and his caballera contra caballera match with Dulce Gardenia on New Year's Day 2020 (which admittedly feels like a lifetime ago now) was actually good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D85KkwML6oM&t=7205s

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

do people think wato has been having bad matches in BOSJ? i feel like they've been quite good on average

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i have a question, for the thread. how many wrestlers shaved their heads when they had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline? i thought of this after looking at the wrestling character beaver cleavage in the other thread. i can think of him and possibly danny basham but i don't have evidence of an 'after' photo on that. i am doing this for school

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
does eric bischoff count

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm going to ask my teacher tomorrow

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Cavauro posted:

i have a question, for the thread. how many wrestlers shaved their heads when they had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline? i thought of this after looking at the wrestling character beaver cleavage in the other thread. i can think of him and possibly danny basham but i don't have evidence of an 'after' photo on that. i am doing this for school

joey mercury

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Procrastinator posted:

do people think wato has been having bad matches in BOSJ? i feel like they've been quite good on average

Mostly mediocre. Of the stuff I've seen so far he's been solidly OK despite being in there with 3 guys who you'd be expecting to have better than OK matches (Taguchi, Eagles & Despy)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The problem is that people here keep describing him as "fine" or "pretty solid" when just a couple years ago he was considered a prodigy and the best of his YL class. Even if he didn't have the goofy gimmick it's hard not to see that as a huge disappointment.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TY very much

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cavauro posted:

I'm pretty sure trips levesque had good hair still when he shaved it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Road Warriors

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

forkboy84 posted:

Mostly mediocre. Of the stuff I've seen so far he's been solidly OK despite being in there with 3 guys who you'd be expecting to have better than OK matches (Taguchi, Eagles & Despy)

ok. i disagree with you. i hope you enjoy stuff more.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

incredible reply to the only answer you were asking for with that question

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Flair. It didn't grow back nearly as thick.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Kane?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Jeff Jarrett had thick hair and a completely in-tact hairline when he lost his hair vs hair match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i begrudgingly accept jeff jarrett and ric flair but not kane. he has the 'mange' style of hair where it slowly deteriorated all over his head in a chaotic yet paradoxically even pattern, and i don't trust that it had not started yet when he unmasked and had a friar's hair.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kane's hair was a wig

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
kane had psychological hair

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Seth Rollins posted:

kane had psychological hair
ty for the hearty, involuntary laugh

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Who was the first 'Express' tag team in Wrestling? The Midnights? The Rock and Rolls? Why was 'Express' ever even a suffix you'd attach to a tag team?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Midnight Express was a pretty big movie in 1978, though not one that has much of an obvious connection to the wrestling gimmick, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

In the book The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams Condrey explains that the name did not stem from the movie Midnight Express (although later versions of the Midnight Express would use the film's theme by Giorgio Moroder as their theme music) but from the fact that they all dressed in black, drove black cars, and were out partying past midnight.
So you can chalk that up to the grand tradition of "something sounds cool, let's just use it unmoored from its previous connotations."

The Midnight Express formed in the summer of 1981, and the Rock N Roll Express came along in 1983 and I believe just borrowed "Express" from the Midnights because they were a hot tag team.

That same year in Florida, Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo started feuding with "The Zambuie Express" (Leroy Brown and Randy Candy wrestling as "Elijah Akeem and Kareem Muhammad" in a.... "What if Mister T were two people who wore camo and maybe hinted at being part of the Nation of Islam?" gimmick"). Possibly coincidentally, Windham and Rotundo were called the US Express a year or so later when they jumped to WWF. Within a few more years, you got the Can-Am Express, the Orient Express, etc. and "Express" just became like a buzzword for tag teams regardless of if it made sense or not.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Midnight Express was a pretty big movie in 1978, though not one that has much of an obvious connection to the wrestling gimmick, according to Wikipedia:
So you can chalk that up to the grand tradition of "something sounds cool, let's just use it unmoored from its previous connotations."

The Midnight Express formed in the summer of 1981, and the Rock N Roll Express came along in 1983 and I believe just borrowed "Express" from the Midnights because they were a hot tag team.

That same year in Florida, Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo started feuding with "The Zambuie Express" (Leroy Brown and Randy Candy wrestling as "Elijah Akeem and Kareem Muhammad" in a.... "What if Mister T were two people who wore camo and maybe hinted at being part of the Nation of Islam?" gimmick"). Possibly coincidentally, Windham and Rotundo were called the US Express a year or so later when they jumped to WWF. Within a few more years, you got the Can-Am Express, the Orient Express, etc. and "Express" just became like a buzzword for tag teams regardless of if it made sense or not.

The name US Express has always been curious to me since in the early 80s the Cannonball Run successor US Express was running, but these events were mostly kept secret to avoid law enforcement crackdowns. There was some contemporary coverage, but not a lot. With all the Express teams forming it wouldn't be weird for two guys to go "Well, let's be the US Express" but it would be kind of neat if they named themselves after the illegal road races.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cavauro posted:

i begrudgingly accept jeff jarrett and ric flair but not kane. he has the 'mange' style of hair where it slowly deteriorated all over his head in a chaotic yet paradoxically even pattern, and i don't trust that it had not started yet when he unmasked and had a friar's hair.

I thought we all agreed he had baby hair

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no thanks. cultural appropriation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The 70s and 80s also loved the word connection, the best one being the “miracle violence connection.”