Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Interesting, hadn't followed this Twitter. They suggest a revised 16" Intel MBP is coming in the spring and the ARM 16 MBP is coming later in the year.

Are there any currently any paths to emulating older (x86) versions of OSX on an M1?

As an high-end MBP user, I am a little concerned in that I have occasionally had to make adjustments to an old but important multiplatform project that has some x86 assembly; as long as Rosetta is around, I'm not concerned for the few Mac users but I'm assuming I couldn't build/debug it on an M1 Mac with Rosetta.

(Maybe someone will eventually do something about it, but it's not my project and I don't know x86 assembly that well. This aside frankly I think x86's death is long overdue.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I doubt it's real but lol if you're tripping over yourself to buy a M1 machine. The next version of these things are gonna loving rip.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

American McGay posted:

I doubt it's real but lol if you're tripping over yourself to buy a M1 machine. The next version of these things are gonna loving rip.

Maybe, maybe not, I don't know much about this source but regardless it seems safe to guess the rest of the Mac line will move to ARM next year. This is also not the first rumor source to suggest there might be another Intel update in the product line for high-end machines before they move over, though.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
unleash the 40 hour macbook pro 16 tim

i'm somewhat worried they're not gonna beef up the GPU enough because those things kind of scale up with cores + power and I haven't seen any serious comparisons of the M1 gpu cores with amd/nvidia

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

American McGay posted:

My wife just went from a core-m3 12” MacBook to a 2020 M1 Air. I don’t think she will care about the M1X lmao.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The 16" macbook pro is in a tough place. It's stale as poo poo at over 300 days old but it's too soon for an Apple Silicon version. So either they let that poo poo linger to 500+ days or put out a new Intel lap warmer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

Interesting, hadn't followed this Twitter. They suggest a revised 16" Intel MBP is coming in the spring and the ARM 16 MBP is coming later in the year.

Are there any currently any paths to emulating older (x86) versions of OSX on an M1?

As an high-end MBP user, I am a little concerned in that I have occasionally had to make adjustments to an old but important multiplatform project that has some x86 assembly; as long as Rosetta is around, I'm not concerned for the few Mac users but I'm assuming I couldn't build/debug it on an M1 Mac with Rosetta.

(Maybe someone will eventually do something about it, but it's not my project and I don't know x86 assembly that well. This aside frankly I think x86's death is long overdue.)
Nothing yet afaik, something with QEMU will probably be the soonest unless Parallels/VMware are working on emulation, but everything they've said seems to point at just working on ARM virtualization.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

MeruFM posted:

i'm somewhat worried they're not gonna beef up the GPU enough because those things kind of scale up with cores + power and I haven't seen any serious comparisons of the M1 gpu cores with amd/nvidia

I’ve seen a few gaming benchmarks done by various reviewers that have the M1 gpu performing better than an Nvidia 1050ti but not as well as a 1060. Which is hugely impressive for an integrated gpu.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MeruFM posted:

40 hours seems very unlikely even if it has a 99Wh battery.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My wife just went from a core-m3 12” MacBook to a 2020 M1 Air. I don’t think she will care about the M1X lmao.

Well yeah, if you have a laptop that was never good in the first place then absolutely the M1 is a no-brainer upgrade.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

Maybe, maybe not, I don't know much about this source but regardless it seems safe to guess the rest of the Mac line will move to ARM next year. This is also not the first rumor source to suggest there might be another Intel update in the product line for high-end machines before they move over, though.

Yeah, it’s not really even a guess/rumor. It’s the stated plan. Here’s what they said in June
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/06/apple-announces-mac-transition-to-apple-silicon/

quote:

Apple plans to ship the first Mac with Apple silicon by the end of the year and complete the transition in about two years. Apple will continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come, and has exciting new Intel-based Macs in development.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

American McGay posted:

My 12" MacBook is so wonderfully sized and so painfully slow. (At things like "browsing too many websites.")

While it's not the 12" I was wishing for, that fancy new Air sure is temping...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

admiraldennis posted:

My 12" MacBook is so wonderfully sized and so painfully slow. (At things like "browsing too many websites.")

While it's not the 12" I was wishing for, that fancy new Air sure is temping...

If they stuck an M1 in that body....:allears:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This kind of a silly use case, but here's one thing that I love about a Mac vs random PC laptop: the speakers

I often have a YouTube video or podcast going to distract me from whatever I'm supposed to be doing. ThinkPad speakers sound like...dogshit. I'm sure there are PC laptops out there with much better sound, but ALL Macs have great speakers.

This is easily solvable with a pair of headphones, but still.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

This kind of a silly use case, but here's one thing that I love about a Mac vs random PC laptop: the speakers

I often have a YouTube video or podcast going to distract me from whatever I'm supposed to be doing. ThinkPad speakers sound like...dogshit. I'm sure there are PC laptops out there with much better sound, but ALL Macs have great speakers.

This is easily solvable with a pair of headphones, but still.

Yeah once they bought Beats, their speakers got WAY better. My GF got a MBA this year and I couldn't believe how good the speakers sounded.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

ALL Macs have great speakers.

The Mini begs to disagree.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Harlock posted:

I read a lot of good reviews about the Vava ones sold on Amazon. I ended up ordering one but my Air won't get here for another month to test it.

Looking at the Vava store on Amazon, I don't see anything that has more than 4 USB ports or a long cable. I guess USB-C is only being used for dock-like things? I might see if I can get an extension cable for something.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Mini has speakers? Why?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah once they bought Beats, their speakers got WAY better. My GF got a MBA this year and I couldn't believe how good the speakers sounded.

nah their push for better audio started with the 2012 retina macbook, which predates beats by a couple years.

hatty posted:

i bet it's mostly for the chime and system alerts, tbh.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

wdarkk posted:

Looking at the Vava store on Amazon, I don't see anything that has more than 4 USB ports or a long cable. I guess USB-C is only being used for dock-like things? I might see if I can get an extension cable for something.

What are you trying to do?

You can get long cables that have a type-C end, and a 3.0 type B end. You can also get multi-port 3.0 hubs that have a replaceable cable to the host. Or, you can get a cheap passive type-C-to-3.0-type-B adapter, then use whatever cables you want.

Most hubs are sold to people who want to have more ports on their laptop, so they have integrated cables and stay at theoretically-packable sizes. But there's nothing stopping you from putting your own long cable/many ports setup together.

e:

hatty posted:

The mini has a speaker, about the size of your thumbnail. It serves the same function as the terrible little speaker you get in a lot of desktop PC cases: it's just a way for the system to give audio cues to the user even when there aren't any external speakers connected.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 29, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Mini has ONE speaker. One. It's tiny and is worse than the speaker you'd get in a lovely AM radio you get free on a promotion day at the ballpark.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh so the ones they used in every iPhone before the 7 :cheeky:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something has to bong when it starts up

(Still mourning for the days when every model, and then when every vague family, of Mac had its own unique bong :rip:)

e: also mourning for when the bong was an instant piece of audio feedback to let you know that you had pressed the Power button correctly; now we're still in that weird limbo world where you have to hold down the button for like what, three seconds? before it makes a noise or the Apple logo comes up, and until that happens you don't know whether you're doing it right or it registered properly or maybe you held it down 99% as long as you needed to or who the hell knows, come on Apple just make it bong as an instant feedback so the first thing a new buyer experiences with their new Mac isn't confusion and anger

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 29, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HOLDING the power button??!?!?!?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Something has to bong when it starts up

(Still mourning for the days when every model, and then when every vague family, of Mac had its own unique bong :rip:)

e: also mourning for when the bong was an instant piece of audio feedback to let you know that you had pressed the Power button correctly; now we're still in that weird limbo world where you have to hold down the button for like what, three seconds? before it makes a noise or the Apple logo comes up, and until that happens you don't know whether you're doing it right or it registered properly or maybe you held it down 99% as long as you needed to or who the hell knows, come on Apple just make it bong as an instant feedback so the first thing a new buyer experiences with their new Mac isn't confusion and anger

The bong is back in Big Sur FYI

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I've got a pretty old Macbook Pro that has treated me well for almost a decade- a mid-2012/Retina 15.4 inch. The only problem with it at this point is that the battery life sucks - usually around an hour or so when unplugged. So, I could get the battery replaced by Apple for $199, or I can do it myself, which seems easy enough, and a battery seems to be ~$40-50, at least on Amazon.

A) Is replacing the battery myself a good or terrible idea?

B) Is there a "best" third party battery I should get? All of the ones on Amazon seem to have reviews that are 80% "This is great, it was easy to install and works!" and 20% "This poo poo sucks and doesn't hold a charge."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anker or iFixit for batteries. Should be an easy job on a 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Retina mid 2012s have glued-down batteries, and the procedure is a pain - expect a couple of hours of fiddly teardown/reassembly work, and fun with mild solvents, dental floss, and old credit cards as you actually pry out the cells.

I wouldn't buy a no-name battery unless I was trying to revive a system with a completely dead battery on an absolute-minimum budget. If you want to DIY it, I'd probably buy from a more established seller like iFixit - they're overpriced and the quality isn't that much better, but if they send you a dud you'll probably hear more than radio silence from their customer support. On the other hand I guess you can buy a "Puredick" battery if you really want.

If you can afford an extra hundred bucks to dodge the hassle, you get a free new keyboard and top case assembly out of the deal. I'd go with Apple if the extra expense is feasible.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Anker or iFixit for batteries. Should be an easy job on a 2012

you talking about this "easy job"?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

SgtScruffy posted:

I've got a pretty old Macbook Pro that has treated me well for almost a decade- a mid-2012/Retina 15.4 inch. The only problem with it at this point is that the battery life sucks - usually around an hour or so when unplugged. So, I could get the battery replaced by Apple for $199, or I can do it myself, which seems easy enough, and a battery seems to be ~$40-50, at least on Amazon.

B) Is there a "best" third party battery I should get? All of the ones on Amazon seem to have reviews that are 80% "This is great, it was easy to install and works!" and 20% "This poo poo sucks and doesn't hold a charge."

That seems to be the same type as mine, battery wise. I checked out iFixit when my battery life started to suck, and it's not good. I read "adhesive remover" and ran away, got a quote from the local Apple reseller, ran away again, and am now putting up with it until there's a fancy new 16" out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Forgot the Retinas were glued. Yeah get apple to do it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

i have the same laptop. fwiw getting it replaced by apple also gives you a new keyboard and top case. it’s a detailed pain but not that hard to do yourself with an ifixit guide but i would probably try and buy an oem battery (ofc at that point apple doesn’t charge that much more). still i completely get the reticence of spending that much more on an old laptop.

fwiw they had run out of 8gb boards when i had mine replaced a couple years ago and shoved a 16gb one in instead. ymmv on that front ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The mini speaker is lovely but it's still nice to have in a pinch. I kinda wish there was a basic microphone in it, too. Maybe the next set of displays will have a mic/speaker combo worth caring about. Even better would be if the next round of displays or the next mac mini had a homepod grafted into it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I remain disappointed at the iOS app integration. Just put touch screens on the computers you dummies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I remain disappointed at the iOS app integration. Just put touch screens on the computers you dummies.

i don’t care if they do or not but i’m doubtful and if they do i hope it’s optional so i can avoid paying for it

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Glimpse posted:

The Mini begs to disagree.

MacBooks are all that matters

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Here is what Apple's touchscreen laptop strategy looks like:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

Here is what Apple's touchscreen laptop strategy looks like:

Fwiw this is an amazing combo.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Ah Crap - drat, I looked up a non-mid-2012 macbook and it was just "take out battery > put in new battery" so I assumed it was going to be the same.
Thanks everyone, you saved me some money (at least on buying a battery that I would never actually replace) and probably a broken laptop. I'll go the official route!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw this is an amazing combo.

I actually have the Logitech Folio Touch and while the build quality isn't quite up to the Magic Keyboard, I like that I can fold it back around to use the iPad without having to take it out of the case, but yeah, smart connector-driven keyboard + touchpad + iPad is amazing.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I’ve got the 12” iPad Pro and their fancy keyboard. It’s goddamn glorious. iPad with a trackpad is a great combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

arbybaconator posted:

I’ve got the 12” iPad Pro and their fancy keyboard. It’s goddamn glorious. iPad with a trackpad is a great combo.
It's better than a Macbook lol.