Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched a little season 1, Crepes of Wrath and Krusty Gets Busted. Both hold up fine. I forgot that when Bart is going from the Paris airport to the farm he passes through famous paintings, or that the reveal of Sideshow Bob framing Krusty probably wouldn't have worked if he didn't confess. All Bart knows is the guy can read, doesn't have a pacemaker, and has large feet. Deny involvement and Bart would look crazy, maybe point out his mention of the pacemaker warning makes no sense as Krusty wouldn't follow a sign he doesn't understand.

Sideshow Bob spends the next 30 seasons trying and failing to kill a little boy, he's just not smart enough to keep his mouth shut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Krusty's illiteracy went back and forth a bit before being phased out, though he's usually shown as being barely literate. All the drug use might have something to do with it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Phlegmish posted:

I remember that episode with the dead bird making him more nuanced...even though apparently that's in Season 10, beyond the Golden Age.

Bart canonically has ADHD, right? A lot of his behavior makes sense in that light.

he definitely has 1990s "ADD" or straight "hyperactivity" but yeah i know it wasnt super intentional but pretty typical, can focus like a madman on things he's interested in, can't spend 10 seconds focusing on school.

plus they actually do a pretty good job of showing that homer especially never really punishes the boy... which i know wasnt a new idea, but seems ahead of its time tbh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bus hustler posted:

he definitely has 1990s "ADD" or straight "hyperactivity" but yeah i know it wasnt super intentional but pretty typical, can focus like a madman on things he's interested in, can't spend 10 seconds focusing on school.

plus they actually do a pretty good job of showing that homer especially never really punishes the boy... which i know wasnt a new idea, but seems ahead of its time tbh.

It doesn't help that his school makes no real effort to engage him, even Lisa is only satisfied with her schoolwork because she coasts through it. (she'd definitely be the type to hit a brick wall in college, but then again dealing with her family might have taught her she needs to put in effort to really succeed because things are stacked against her despite her smarts) And yeah, Homer does lash out at Bart but doesn't really properly discipline him, while Marge does actually seem to be able to appeal to Bart's conscience.

I remember they also do highlight early on that Homer had a pretty lousy childhood, and Abe barely supported him if not outright verbally abusing him, and it's clearly affected him in adulthood. Not sure if that's meant to be the 'Boomer kid raised by PTSD-ridden, emotionally closed off Greatest Gen parent' thing)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ulex minor posted:

was my favourite book when I was about 9, I wonder if I read it again it would be painfully unfunny or not. The fact it's 20 years old is kind of killing me. Still in the good old days but Simpsons humour never really translated that well into book form.

I do remember the donut rating chart was my favourite bit, wish I could find a picture because I'm sure it would derail the thread for a bit where people argue about whether plain cake donuts deserve to be on the bottom or not.

I had the official episode guide to the Simpsons and read it so much it fell apart.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder how long it'll be before they start mining the audience for content. I'm surprised they haven't that Dead Bart Creepypasta or The Simpsons Predict The Future! yet.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It doesn't help that his school makes no real effort to engage him, even Lisa is only satisfied with her schoolwork because she coasts through it. (she'd definitely be the type to hit a brick wall in college, but then again dealing with her family might have taught her she needs to put in effort to really succeed because things are stacked against her despite her smarts) And yeah, Homer does lash out at Bart but doesn't really properly discipline him, while Marge does actually seem to be able to appeal to Bart's conscience.

I remember they also do highlight early on that Homer had a pretty lousy childhood, and Abe barely supported him if not outright verbally abusing him, and it's clearly affected him in adulthood. Not sure if that's meant to be the 'Boomer kid raised by PTSD-ridden, emotionally closed off Greatest Gen parent' thing)

they've retconned Abe's parenting skills in later episodes... there are all these heartwarming things he did now, which undercuts the previous bad parenting generational message

I feel as though the unengaged teacher thing is partly outdated now, too. it's still a job people often drift into rather than picking because they love it, and it's criminally underpaid, but I remember having a cavalcade of lovely/mean/petty/stupid teachers, and my kids in the same school system have had a much smoother experience.

meanwhile, I'm old enough that the teachers could smoke in the teachers' lounge, and Krabappel and Hoover smoking now reads much more like them being worse than Hitler.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

they've retconned Abe's parenting skills in later episodes... there are all these heartwarming things he did now, which undercuts the previous bad parenting generational message

I feel as though the unengaged teacher thing is partly outdated now, too. it's still a job people often drift into rather than picking because they love it, and it's criminally underpaid, but I remember having a cavalcade of lovely/mean/petty/stupid teachers, and my kids in the same school system have had a much smoother experience.

meanwhile, I'm old enough that the teachers could smoke in the teachers' lounge, and Krabappel and Hoover smoking now reads much more like them being worse than Hitler.

If smoking wasn’t permitted in the DMV why was there an ashtray on the employee side of the counter? Hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've been thinking more than I'd like to about a couple of comic strips in this same sort of context.

Curtis is a story of two kids living with their parents in a big city. the older son gives his father poo poo for smoking indoors. he gets the hell spanked out of him (off-camera) when he misbehaves. his mom generally but not always seems to be home. he does poo poo by himself or just with other kids. it's meant to be a slice-of-life thing, but it's very clearly a gen-X childhood, no matter how many cell phones are in the strip.

Dustin is the story of two adult / nearly adult kids living in generic suburbia. the son has graduated college, but cannot / will not get a job. the wife shops too much. despite the son's name in the title, the father is the sympathetic figure, and despite the fact that it debuted 10 years ago, the father is boomer as hell.

both of them will continue forever, I imagine, bc the comics page is a bastion of static mediocrity in more or less the same way network sitcoms are

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bus hustler posted:

There's a Season 11 episode where Bart gets put on ADD medication. He becomes paranoid and locks in on a conspiracy theory he develops that Major League Baseball is spying on everyone. He steals a tank from a nearby military base and uses it to shoot down an MLB spy satellite. Mark McGuire cameos by coming in at the end to distract everyone from the spy satellite by hitting dingers.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

There's a Season 11 episode where Bart gets put on ADD medication. He becomes paranoid and locks in on a conspiracy theory he develops that Major League Baseball is spying on everyone. He steals a tank from a nearby military base and uses it to shoot down an MLB spy satellite. Mark McGuire cameos by coming in at the end to distract everyone from the spy satellite by hitting dingers.

I remember that one. To be fair, the ending of that episode is probably the funniest moment. It's not very good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

I remember that one. To be fair, the ending of that episode is probably the funniest moment. It's not very good.

Yeah every cartoon in the '90s did an ADD episode, and the Simpsons didn't really innovate on the formula for one EXCEPT the ending where Bart's delusions are real but everyone is easily distracted from the implications.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol remember when South Park did an episode on ADD where they said all you have to do is smack the kids and they will stop acting up

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They definitely had their finger on the pulse of small town america

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Data Graham posted:

Lol remember when South Park did an episode on ADD where they said all you have to do is smack the kids and they will stop acting up

The lowest point of south park was always

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There were some good South Park episodes, like the San Francisco fart huffing one, the Casa Bonita one, and the World of Warcraft one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ikanreed posted:

The lowest point of south park was always

maybe the truth is

in the middle

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Das Boo posted:

I wonder how long it'll be before they start mining the audience for content. I'm surprised they haven't that Dead Bart Creepypasta or The Simpsons Predict The Future! yet.

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1084668932571709440?s=19

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oooooof.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

South Park is still funny after 20-something seasons, something The Simpsons could not accomplish

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nah posted:

South Park is still funny after 20-something seasons

Ehhhhhhh *hand tilting side-to-side gesture*

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

nah posted:

South Park is still funny after 20-something seasons, something The Simpsons could not accomplish

fantastic username / post synergy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, thinking about it now, kind of hosed up. ADD means part of your brain is wired differently, you can't help it no matter what, and medication absolutely can be useful.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
That macguire episode was the second time I saw a celebrity in an episode and felt incredibly off put by it. A feeling we all know and hate now.

The first being the Ron Howard one, of course.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, thinking about it now, kind of hosed up. ADD means part of your brain is wired differently, you can't help it no matter what, and medication absolutely can be useful.

The episode ends with Bart going off "Focusin" and getting put on good ol' fashion Ritalin. hahaha see the joke is that the drug that made him a tweaked out conspiracy theorist is only a sideways move from Ritalin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IS_v77asiw

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ikanreed posted:

That macguire episode was the second time I saw a celebrity in an episode and felt incredibly off put by it. A feeling we all know and hate now.

The first being the Ron Howard one, of course.

It's like "This is the same show that made Homer At the Bat? Really?"

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I assumed at the time that the Simpsons take on ADHD was at least partly because of Nancy Cartwright being a Scientologist.

Anyway, new episode tomorrow.

quote:

It will contain a Steamed Hams reference

Meme's dead.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The Simpsons lowest point was when Matt Groening refused to pay me for sex.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Phlegmish posted:

Bart Leaves for Syria

Ah, the Caro episode. B plot, Homer builds an inept barn-like addition to the house.

Phlegmish posted:

Bart Becomes a Drug Addict

Falling into Parisian catacombs, etc etc

Phlegmish posted:

Bart canonically has ADHD, right? A lot of his behavior makes sense in that light.

According to a terrible episode with Mark McGwire appearing at the end, yes. Though it did yield a great reading of Homer squealing "The frame store?!? You monster!!"

nah posted:

You remember their great Family Guy episode?
Yeah current South Park is made the same way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

If Groening had pulled the plug end of season 8 and never did anything else other than an occasional life in hell comic, would we consider him a Bill Watterson figure?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If Groening had pulled the plug end of season 8 and never did anything else other than an occasional life in hell comic, would we consider him a Bill Watterson figure?

If Futurama had also ended before the "movies", yes

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Jollity Farm posted:

Meme's dead.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before they got a hold of that one

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My controversial cartoon opinion is that the early seasons of Family Guy are actually pretty bad and it's way better now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

My controversial cartoon opinion is that the early seasons of Family Guy are actually pretty bad and it's way better now.

Whoa that's a weird one. Gonna need to analyze

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

nah posted:

South Park used to come up with one joke and beat it to death throughout an episode. Now they come up with one joke and beat it to death throughout an entire season.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
It's still one joke.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

J-Spot posted:

South Park used to come up with one joke and beat it to death throughout an episode.

I remember I stopped watching when this became really apparent. I just remember seeing the Hardy Boys going on about their "clues" and thinking it was aggressively unfunny, and was shocked to see how many people thought it was great.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Whoa that's a weird one. Gonna need to analyze

Well it was at it's worst when it first came back but the early seasons are just kind of lame if you watch them now. Remember that episode where Meg can coo at pigeons real good and Peter wants to make her famous? Remember when Brian sings to that old lady about cell phones and the big joke is that Meg mistakes Louie Armstrong for Neil Armstrong? Remember the "I need a Jew" song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Remember the "I need a Jew" song?

That was very funny