Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pancho Jueves posted:

AC Odyssey

You can't control the speed of your horse - you go fast in the countryside and slow in cities. So if you want to outrun an aggressor and happen to hit the city limits, you immediately slow down and give them the chance to catch up. Also works great if you want to avoid fighting the civilians who will randomly join fights in the city and add to your bounty if you kill them, but can also keep up with your horse on foot since you can't speed up.

Also, you can't light a brazier with a torch without swinging wildly at it like it's an enemy. Finesse, misthios!

There's a PC mod for called the AC Odyssey Tweak Pack that lets you remove horse speed restrictions, if you're playing on computer. It also does a bunch of other things like add or remove XP multipliers for whatever you're trying to do.

Swinging your torch wildly to break boxes and light candles is part of the fundamental AC experience, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

Swinging your torch wildly to break boxes and light candles is part of the fundamental AC experience, however.

I never really questioned it, as doing a simple task in the biggest, most unnecessarily violent way possible basically seemed in character for Kassandra.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not far in Odyssey but yeah she does not strike me as a person with finesse. She is a hammer and every problem is a nail.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

(edit: thought this was the Valhalla thread when I posted but it still applies): Also as someone who's never played an Assassins Creed, the intro for Valhalla is well presented and intense, and even though I know about the animus stuff and knew to expect it, the moment it appears it's incredibly weird and jarring in a way that is intentional and I kind of enjoyed, but also I am kinda like why are we even doing this at this point

Tender Bender has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Nov 28, 2020

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission for PSVR is easily the best VR game I’ve ever played, but I have one issue with it. A big part of the game is finding all these little robots,and they can be hidden pretty well. Thankfully the robots will cry out, and with headphones it’s pretty easy to track their basic location. However, the game has a music track where there’s a bit that sounds to me exactly like a robot cry, about 1 minute in.
https://youtu.be/J3Da7uL45rw
It completely screws with me hearing that, and then spending 2 minutes craning my neck around trying to find a nonexistent robot.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, BOTW is good because they tuned the attention/engagement aspect really well. You're rewarded for noticing something is off, doing a little thing, and finding the secret. Like these three statues are holding an apple, the fourth one isn't, if you notice that on your own and put an apple in you get the seed. You went out of your way to notice it, do a few seconds of puzzling, done. The reward is engaging your brain even in this simple way. It'd be much less rewarding if there was a Korok Seed map marker on the statues and you go there knowing something is off and looking for the Korok seed.

The problem with that is same thing is true of every other Zelda game except every other zelda game gave you meaningful rewards for finding secrets which can't be said about BOTW.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

rodbeard posted:

The problem with that is same thing is true of every other Zelda game except every other zelda game gave you meaningful rewards for finding secrets which can't be said about BOTW.

You get more slots to carry weapons/shields.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Better collect all the Skulltula so I can get unlimited money to spend on...?

Although Majora's Mask is pretty rewarding, I think.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

rodbeard posted:

Nah, other zeldas have a handful of discreet puzzles, BotW has an entire countryside where there's something to find around every corner and over every hill. Sure, that thing is always korok seeds, but a. Korok seeds are really useful and b. the real treasure is the exploration.

But it really can't be overstated how dense BotW's open world is for things to do, and how important the delicate balance of small but important korok seeds strike to make everything meaningful from a gameplay perspective while nothing is required.

The real thing it (and SMO) does is (almost) never pull control from you for a cutscene or have any on-rails tutorials, and every game that does is dragged down for doing so.

E:vvvv it's a very shallow game. And the combat sucks. But it ends when you want it to. Really what BotW does right is make good on the you-can-go-anywhere promise of the open world genre. No more "you can't step over ye waist high fence". I'd love a more in-depth game, but combine the freedom of movement with the mostly diegetic tutorials and it's hard to go back.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Nov 29, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Personally I think the exploration in BotW does eventually get old when it's yet another incremental weapon/shield slot upgrade that is functionally meaningless or a shrine that has an extreme hit or miss ratio on whether it'll be interesting. Pure environmental exploration can only take me so far. And that's an opinion from me liking the game overall, just thinking it's flawed in how it presents its open world (understandably, since it's a milestone in the series in that respect).

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kind of an important step 1 of exploration for me is the feeling of "I wonder what I'm going to find over there? I'm excited to find out!" and it didn't take long in BOTW until it was clear that the answer was always "something I already have a lot of". The only unique rewards I can recall were armor pieces, and they usually offered something pretty underwhelming like resistance to some type of damage or whatnot.

Also it's supposedly a good thing that you can ignore any or all of the open world and walk right up to the final boss but I think making it so some of my journey is about finding things that I need to beat the game would've been, uh, fine?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Some Goon posted:

Nah, other zeldas have a handful of discreet puzzles, BotW has an entire countryside where there's something to find around every corner and over every hill. Sure, that thing is always korok seeds, but a. Korok seeds are really useful and b. the real treasure is the exploration.

But it really can't be overstated how dense BotW's open world is for things to do, and how important the delicate balance of small but important korok seeds strike to make everything meaningful from a gameplay perspective while nothing is required.

The real thing it (and SMO) does is (almost) never pull control from you for a cutscene or have any on-rails tutorials, and every game that does is dragged down for doing so.

E:vvvv it's a very shallow game. And the combat sucks. But it ends when you want it to. Really what BotW does right is make good on the you-can-go-anywhere promise of the open world genre. No more "you can't step over ye waist high fence". I'd love a more in-depth game, but combine the freedom of movement with the mostly diegetic tutorials and it's hard to go back.

People used the same arguments with GTA5 where there was a huge open world with plenty of everything except GTA.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Metal Gear Survive is a game.

The game runs on the MGSV gameplay engine but the stealth is nonexistent so its a bit wasted. Feels pretty good and responsive though because MGSV shooting is really good.

The gameplay loop is gather resources/explore so you get more craftables to improve your dude and your base.

Its pretty much an endless loop where you get minor upgrades and you gotta replenish your supplies because everything uses up resources.

The game however has too few enemy types or it introduces them way too late so the gameplay becomes a chore. Majority of the game takes place in the Dust which is fog from Silent Hill, so everything looks grey, boring and you can only see 10 meters in front of you.

The game has many other problems like its way too easy for the majority of the single player (but you still gotta gather resources to keep yourself stocked) but those are couple things that drag it down for me aside from being a horrible MGS game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

rodbeard posted:

Other games don't come close to BOTW in how embedded the secrets are throughout the game. And the rewards are rarely meaningful past a low threshold. How many games do you actually get a meaningful boost from all the heart containers or skulltulas/poes/etc? After a certain point they're just macguffins. BOTW's rewards are just as useful, you need a good amount of stamina/health/inventory space.

It's significant that BOTW keeps all this stuff in the same interactive level as well. You don't walk up to a rock, try to move it, and know that by being able to move it it's special. You don't walk up to a tree and get prompted to pick a specific fruit. You interact with those things just like every other option that ISN'T special, and only by "solving" the puzzle do you know you found something at all.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

WaltherFeng posted:

Metal Gear Survive is a game.

The game runs on the MGSV gameplay engine but the stealth is nonexistent so its a bit wasted. Feels pretty good and responsive though because MGSV shooting is really good.

The gameplay loop is gather resources/explore so you get more craftables to improve your dude and your base.

Its pretty much an endless loop where you get minor upgrades and you gotta replenish your supplies because everything uses up resources.

The game however has too few enemy types or it introduces them way too late so the gameplay becomes a chore. Majority of the game takes place in the Dust which is fog from Silent Hill, so everything looks grey, boring and you can only see 10 meters in front of you.

The game has many other problems like its way too easy for the majority of the single player (but you still gotta gather resources to keep yourself stocked) but those are couple things that drag it down for me aside from being a horrible MGS game.

I played around release so things might have changed but honestly I found stealth really useful.

But yeah the first map only had two enemy types, the regular zombie and the crab things. All the others are introduced in the late/post game.

It's also very much not an MG"S" game much like rising wasn't. Though I found it thematically interesting as a response to the mainline games.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Triarii posted:

Kind of an important step 1 of exploration for me is the feeling of "I wonder what I'm going to find over there? I'm excited to find out!" and it didn't take long in BOTW until it was clear that the answer was always "something I already have a lot of". The only unique rewards I can recall were armor pieces, and they usually offered something pretty underwhelming like resistance to some type of damage or whatnot.

You find a stable, or a village, or a unique landmark, or a snowboarding lodge, or a town you can build, or an abandoned fortress, or a character who wants you to help them, or a lake with a glowing nature spirit, or a riddle to solve to make a shrine open, etc. The stuff you have a lot of is just the breadcrumb.

Triarii posted:

Also it's supposedly a good thing that you can ignore any or all of the open world and walk right up to the final boss but I think making it so some of my journey is about finding things that I need to beat the game would've been, uh, fine?

I agree with this part, I think the game could have stood to have more handplaced unique items and setpieces. Having said that I think most people get a significant amount of exploring and gear/orb/seed accumulation before fighting Ganon. And when you're done with exploring you can just go try to finish the game instead of forcing yourself to find more stuff, which is nice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The problem with BotW is that it's the Minecraft of the Zelda series and a lot of people were pretty happy with the original RE4 format of the earlier ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

The problem with BotW is that it's the Minecraft of the Zelda series and a lot of people were pretty happy with the original RE4 format of the earlier ones.

I... have no idea why you picked those games for your metaphor, but you are right.

BotW of the Wild is a neat game, I'm happy I played it because it's fun and a lot of the things it does are very interesting even if they're not always successful. ...but I don't want to play another one, I want to instead play another Twilight Princess, Link Between Worlds, or Majora's Mask.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pancho Jueves posted:

AC Odyssey

You can't control the speed of your horse - you go fast in the countryside and slow in cities. So if you want to outrun an aggressor and happen to hit the city limits, you immediately slow down and give them the chance to catch up. Also works great if you want to avoid fighting the civilians who will randomly join fights in the city and add to your bounty if you kill them, but can also keep up with your horse on foot since you can't speed up.

Also, you can't light a brazier with a torch without swinging wildly at it like it's an enemy. Finesse, misthios!

The horseriding in the AssCreed games felt really hollow after playing RDR2. Like, Bayek and Aya has a little camel race but there's nothing you can do to control the speed of the camel. You just push the analog stick forward. Compared to RDR2 where you can control the speed of your horse in the races and a you also have to make sure your horse doesn't get exhausted. So winning the races in RDR2 actually feels like you've accomplished something.

Then again, in AssCreed: Odyssey you get to ride around on an undead horse that's also on fire.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

It goes all the way to robo legs and limbs. Its, sadly, a very half-baked system outside of the transhumanism body modding being visually represented. Rest of the game isn't great either.

I liked the game a lot, it's a lot more casual than armored core and I'd love to see its gameplay and systems be expanded on and refined in a sequel; but the character upgrade system was super shallow and almost pointless, and they reflected it in those big chunky robot bits being added to your player character that overrides all of the customization you did when you designed your character and your only options are to either have customization stuff or not to since you can't just opt out of the big body altering upgrades, they gatekeep the various tiers of upgrades. So in the end, if you buy all of the upgrades, aside from your colour scheme every character is going to look the same unless they deliberately gimp themselves by not upgrading.

In fact, the entire player character is kind of redundant. If your mech gets blown up you can eject out of it and run around shooting things as your dude but you do so little damage and your movement is so slow compared to the giant hyperspeed mechs you fight that you probably won't ever actually finish a mission and I could never figure out if there was a way to revive your mech. There are stealth missions that start you off outside of your mech, but you can count the number of those on one hand. It just feels super pointless outside of walking around the lobby.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Is there a game where you can customize your player character with robo-parts and it looks cool and works well?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bony tony posted:

Is there a game where you can customize your player character with robo-parts and it looks cool and works well?

Custom Robo for gamecube.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

bony tony posted:

The medabots games were pretty fun

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I vowed never to buy another Ubisoft game after their #metoo scandal. So all I know about Valhalla is that it's as endless and bloated as Odyssey, as unpolished as III, and somehow makes the Norse Pantheon boring.

It also fails to reward you with anything cool for 90% of the game's content. What other games fail to reward you for poo poo despite having the means?

The Witcher 3's strength is in it's presentation so it never mattered when you only get a few measly coins for helping out a dirt-poor peasant. It wouldn't make sense if they could grant a level-scaled chalice when they live in a hut made of straw and saliva.

There's a dopamine rush for maxing out Death Stranding's settlements that far exceeds the actual benefits like new cosmetics or upgraded tools.

Nothing about Horizon's rewards are interesting but fighting robot-dinosaurs is its own reward.

So none of the above three are examples but you get the idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd say the biggest issue with botw is that the divine beast dungeons seem halfassed, and in particular the cutscenes at the beginning are repetitive and don't reflect whether or not you have solved one before.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I... have no idea why you picked those games for your metaphor, but you are right.

BotW of the Wild is a neat game, I'm happy I played it because it's fun and a lot of the things it does are very interesting even if they're not always successful. ...but I don't want to play another one, I want to instead play another Twilight Princess, Link Between Worlds, or Majora's Mask.

Couldn't think of a game with a story and open world that has big designed areas to navigate but still more room to explore and items to collect beyond that even though Assassin's Creed kept coming up in the conversation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Things I learned about BotW

Link physically moves around while you use the slate to pin targets

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1333157083827507202?s=19

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tender Bender posted:

(edit: thought this was the Valhalla thread when I posted but it still applies): Also as someone who's never played an Assassins Creed, the intro for Valhalla is well presented and intense, and even though I know about the animus stuff and knew to expect it, the moment it appears it's incredibly weird and jarring in a way that is intentional and I kind of enjoyed, but also I am kinda like why are we even doing this at this point

Yeah, it's a friend's first AC game and they're just completely baffled as to why there's modern day animus stuff happening since none of the trailers for the game really play that up and they were expecting just a Viking game and don't know who this modern person it. I've had to explain to them about the whole ancient aliens overarching plot because otherwise they're going to get even more confused.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Valhalla is the worst for the modern day stuff because they don't explain anything at all when the animus stuff happens. They really expect you to have kept up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Some rear end-grabbing Ubisoft executive must really love the present-day framing-device despite it's uselessness. No other franchise would bother with such a degree of cross-continuity. Continuity is for dorks anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4eDBqoOgjQ

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Breath of the wild felt like the next step in open world games and making a interesting open world to engage with but also felt like a game that will easily be surpassed by all of its successors refining its good but unpolished ideas. So much of BotW is very barebones or simple or sometimes straight up mediocre like shrines that are just fighting and the divine beast dungeons that nintendo working on a straight sequel is pretty understandable.

I myself found the game interesting the first time through but eventually I got bored simply because it didnt really have what I enjoy in zelda games and honestly some of the staples seemed dumped simply because they were, in fact, staples.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

One day we'll get an AC dev clueless enough they'll actually make the ancient Eloi aliens.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's kinda funny that the whole "ancient aliens/history-spanning conspiracies/magical pseudo-time travel" storyline is the kind of schlock that I'd love to read about, but jumping into the series for Odyssey/Valhalla it's practically a footnote to my enjoyment. Like "whoa that's a lot of computer files to read, screw this I'm going back ancient Greece"

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Zoig posted:

Breath of the wild felt like the next step in open world games and making a interesting open world to engage with but also felt like a game that will easily be surpassed by all of its successors refining its good but unpolished ideas. So much of BotW is very barebones or simple or sometimes straight up mediocre like shrines that are just fighting and the divine beast dungeons that nintendo working on a straight sequel is pretty understandable.

I myself found the game interesting the first time through but eventually I got bored simply because it didnt really have what I enjoy in zelda games and honestly some of the staples seemed dumped simply because they were, in fact, staples.

I really wonder if they're going to stick with the whole "no required items" thing. It meant that all puzzles in the game had to be solvable with the tools you get on the starting plateau - there couldn't be obstacles that required a hookshot to get past, and accordingly, there couldn't be a hookshot. The lack of game-changing things like that to find is a big part of why I found the exploration to be unsatisfying. If just occasionally I explored an area and came away with something that made me think "whoa cool, I have <x> now, I can't wait to go try this out and see what new possibilities it opens up" then I would've stayed excited about exploring, because the next cave or mountain peak could've had another one of those game-changers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s me, the guy who likes the modern stuff

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morpheus posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Once you beat the game, it's beaten, and frankly I applaud the game for giving more incentive to beat it repeatedly (via plot and character development) over just, like, having the pride of beating it 10 times on 50 heat or whatever. But yeah, once I beat the game four times or so, I fell off of it quickly. I still want to play it to see more, and I do enjoy the combat still, but I am a fan of games that unlock new mechanics, and now that I know I'm more or less done with that in this game (I think), there's less incentive.

Also Age of Calamity came out.

You haven't actually beaten the game until you've beaten the final boss ten times and seen the credits roll. Which doesn't require any specific heat level though you might as well keep pumping it up as you go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Splinter cell blacklist. I grabbed the game for a couple of bucks looking for something to fill the action stealth hole in my heart after my third run through MGSV. I have never met a game that seems so competent on the surface and yet is such a chore to play. The reticule sucks absolute rear end, and I can't use iron sights to make good shots. Sometimes trying to take cover makes me jump over cover getting me spotted. The guards have just enough randomness that I can't trust they'll do the same thing they did last time. It's incredibly frustrating after how smooth MGSV is to play.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

christmas boots posted:

It’s me, the guy who likes the modern stuff

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zoig posted:

I busted out Evil Within 2 for the first time in forever and it's kind of open world in spots. I've come to realize that I actually prefer the approach that game took. I've never played BOTW but more and more I find that the more popular open world games in the genre (Witcher, Fallout, Skyrim, RDR2, GTA) take me out of the fun by just offering too much. I know that's the idea and the attraction but at a certain point, for me, it becomes a chore.

I much prefer stuff like the Arkham games that dial down the scope a little and Union City in EW2 was a motherfucking blast to explore and clear out. It FELT open and was just big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Horizon Zero Dawn is really pretty but playing it for the first time now makes it feel less impressive of a gameplay loop.

Its also really hard for me to see at night in game, which based on the internet is a common issue and feels like something where future games need to tune the HDR better. Its realistic to not see well at night but not as much fun to play.