Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I would rather not level up Tyranny. We're good at it, and it's useful, but it's not our friend. It wants to rule everything, including us, and I'm very nervous about making it stronger before we're in a better place mentally. Remember how hard it tried to stop us from making that promise to Blue.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Skills can be upgraded as well as stats. No Perks or techs are available for purchase yet.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

iq and perception seems like a solid bet at the moment. leveling can be a lot more sexy than boosting some stats, but our fundamentals kinda do need shoring up.

This

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In that case, I vote we upgrade IQ and the glitch skill. What can possibly go wrong by upgrading a skill that's already broken the game once?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm seeing consensus surround the idea of raising IQ, PE, or !Tyranny, with some secondary consideration for ![ER_INVALID].

For clarity, The Silver Mind is both a technique, as well as the !PSI ESP a skill.

EDIT: We'll give this a few more hours, following the current consensus majority that seems to be increase PE and IQ by one Rank each.

Black August fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 27, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Perception and ![ER_INVALID]. Will it do something good? Will it eat the point we put in for no gain? Let's find out.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Of those, I definitely prefer IQ and Perception. I think ![ER_INVALID] is going to be important late-game, since the sun symbol seems to be tied up with the glitches towards singing and beauty, but I don’t think we can afford to raise it right now. It’s a reasonable choice, though. I think raising Tyranny this early will actively hurt us.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

pumpinglemma posted:

Of those, I definitely prefer IQ and Perception. I think ![ER_INVALID] is going to be important late-game, since the sun symbol seems to be tied up with the glitches towards singing and beauty, but I don’t think we can afford to raise it right now. It’s a reasonable choice, though. I think raising Tyranny this early will actively hurt us.

yeah, come back around to this idea - I think you might be right about Tyranny, good as it would seem to raise it could make certain choices harder. Getting our brain working better should help with a lot of things and has no real drawback imo

e: so yeah IQ and PE

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Why is Dancer's name green at the bottom of the character sheet, and Burner's orange? Weren't they calling each other Red and Blue? ...Are they colorblind? Is this a red an orange herring?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

XkyRauh posted:

Why is Dancer's name green at the bottom of the character sheet, and Burner's orange? Weren't they calling each other Red and Blue? ...Are they colorblind? Is this a red an orange herring?

Burner's color is the one that's wrong, actually. Her name should be colored teal, and Dancer's more of a jade. Why is it inconsistent with their personal theme?

The Island knows why.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

Blue called herself Blue and called Red Red after they became councilors. Red just sorta was quiet the entire time. Also, just looking back at Blue's descriptions, the only time we're told a color on her that wasn't pitch-black (top hat) or "rainbow" was that she had blue makeup on after she vomited after becoming a councilor. So mostly just "We're going off of what she told us while under the influence of the camp" and partially "Blue and Red" are easier to type than "Crazed drug-lord cabaret dancer covered in burns" and "Red-cloaked masked person who accidentally lights themselves on fire".

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

CONSENSUS REACHED

Level Up! - Intelligence from D-Rank (8) --> C-Rank (10).
Level Up! - Perception from C-Rank (11) --> B-Rank (13).

!First-Aid now rolls for a Base Task against a (10), and a Trained Task against a (4).
!ESP ɑ now rolls for a Base Task against a (15), and a Trained Task against a (9).

Level 6 achieved.

...LOADING

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Jandoubi Crew posted:

and they're be happy with that
I *knew* this was some kind of crudely translated import!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

XkyRauh posted:

I *knew* this was some kind of crudely translated import!

funny story, this was actually originally released as boku no doki doki doreamon! in japan

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Dancer pulling the fantasy world equivalent of accidentally locking herself out of her apartment, as a lore-significant plot beat, has cemented her as my favorite character.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DAWN OF THE SEVENTH DAY.
ONE WEEK HAS PASSED.

HP: [ 19 / 19 ]
FP: [ 14 / 14 ]

[Maxed Out!]

ANXIETY: [ 10% ]
[Will is restored.]
[Tyrant power restored.]

ooouuughghgnhh

*peck*

what

*peck* *peck*

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Your eyes creak open, gunked with sleep. Oh! You left the cage open after you both passed out from so much food last night. You hug her and get up, washing yourself and quickly gathering the empty food boxes.

You pause once ready for the day, touching your sore eyes and hand. You didn't want to think about yesterday, for all the cheer it ended with. It's been an entire week. Seven days, and you haven't a single lead on any of the Lords. Granted, you have to leave the holy valley to go out and actually find them, but you still wish you had something more to show after surviving so far. Then again, to get out of the valley, you had to actually explore it. The school could still stand to be explored in full, as well as secured, but you could put that off for a few more days.

Outside was cool and overcast, the stone surfaces still damp from the rainfall. You massage your closed eyes, following the phosphorescence, and spend a while in a hidden corner to think. You... actually feel a LOT more clear headed today. The air was significantly sharper in smell, the clean waterscents calming you. Thinking isn't as riddled with gaps and blanks that fill with worry, and you feel as though someone had taken a scrubbing cleaner to your ears, eyes, and nose. Maybe the mushrooms changed your brain?

You want to slip into the Silver Mind, eager with how clear its infinite reflection feels, but hold off on pushing your psychic senses until you've fully woken up, left the hideout, and had the day planned. Kwiat would be safe for a long time with your current supplies, which was a lead weight of stress off your neck. You rest and eat a small breakfast, allowing your neurons to sparkle over the wealth of scouting information gleaned from the Camp area. ...how did you end up at the Camp to begin with? You hope Red and Blue are ok.

Scouting Report! posted:

You got quite the view from your climb up the first third of the great mountain at the valley's heart. That, and the kayak journey gave you a good look at the center-third of the sanctuary land.

Isla de Jella
On one side of the mountain, you could make out a lone island near the frothy Red. It looked like it was shifting and sliding on its surface, glistened... but did so with mostly green, blue, and some other colors. A long time spent squinting left you pretty sure it was some kind of slime.
[Grinding Dungeon]
[Level 1]

Keytooth
It only stood out from far above. where you could see the shape of the field. A long swathe of grassland with right-angle treeline. You weren't able to make out what could be in there, but something was up.

Stillwood
While searching the mountain perimeter of the hidden forest, you managed to discover a crevice in the northwest dead end. It seemed to go as far as your shadowsight allowed, the inside overgrown with shrubs and moss. You didn't go inside, but you did see later, when climbing the mountain, that it likely terminated in a smaller hidden forest surrounded on all side by stone. Its trees looked enormous and broad, much more gray in color than the ones behind you.

Thunder City
It was indistinct from the hidden coast, but as you kayak'd out into the waters, you got a better look. There was a city to the west, clustering with hundreds of skyscrapers. Every single light in every single building was on, and flashed with surges of power in a dazzling pattern. It looked like it was all precariously perched and bisected with a small archipelago.
[Grinding Dungeon]
[Level 20]

THRONE
An island of dirt.

Jandoubi Pass
There it was... that storm which never went away, forever swirling over the west mountains of the valley. It would sometimes simmer, most often boil. You watched it as it watched you during your climb and your swim, and you saw that it was only the edge of a much greater storm that stretched out to the west and beyond, in a towering mass of pitch black that sometimes heartbeated with a flash of lightning far within.

Riverbell
You weren't sure of it when you saw it during your escape from the Flowering Forest, but now you were sure after this mission. There was a weird structure where the river bent to feed the forest and then down towards the Hideout.

You have a kayak. You're in as good shape as you could be. You have a lot of food, and the chance to secure even more. Best to keep ahead of schedule in all things, which meant you needed to go check out the central third. But... which half of the third? Should you begin the arduous process of securing a safehouse away from the Hideout, so you could begin to make longer leaps away?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
You're in pretty good shape for your seventh day. Staying at the Hideout isn't a comfortable option, so now it's a choice of exploration- check out the EAST side of the central valley, or take the kayak to the waters to explore the WEST side?

Weast Or Eest?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PROTIP posted:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safehouses are an integral part of survival. They include securing a location to create a space to sleep through the dangerous nights, hide and heal while on the road, make caches of necessary goods, and to piggyback supplies slowly but surely to the Hideout. Any location, even Grinding Dungeons, can be turned into a Safehouse. However, many locations are MUCH better suited to being a Safehouse than others. Creating a Safehouse is a matter of time, skills, and some luck. Using one made in a dangerous location may incur severe penalties or provoke an attack, but sometimes you absolutely need to stash goods and restore HP close to a bad place. There are a handful of locations that are perfectly suited to become a Safehouse, and can be secured with little to no resistance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well... Meeting up with Dancer seems like an important thing to do.
Unfortunately, we don't know where they are other than "probably not at home/Paradise" wherever that is.
Best lead I can think of would be to head to Jandoubi, but uh. Ha hah, yeah, not happening any time soon.

Throne sounds like an important place to drop by once we're in the level 20 range and have decent transport, if we're good for thunder city we're probably safe to look around.

The Solar Woods are likely where Burner and/or their cult hangs out, so if we wanted to meet up we could try?
Might learn something, might get shooed off, dunno.

Ended up voting West since I'm curious about that grave.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Three notes for player choice clarity - exploring the west means going out into the waters, since you're checking out the CENTER west of the valley. The other is that Grave is where Śmiercią can be found when you want to Level Up. The last is that no cultist will ever willingly come into the holy valley - only Lords dare that. And even the Lords do not go to the Holy Land.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with west because we have the kayak, and at the very least, we can see if Throne is viable for setting up a safe house, and we know camp SHOULD be safe to use as a base now that the Spider of Leng is banished.

Edit: Wait, 2ould we be able to use the kayak if we went east because of the rivers?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You could, just not very efficiently, since the waters flow downhill towards the sea.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Heading East sounds good to me, now that we have a solid stockpile of resources jumping into a level 1 grinding dungeon like Isla de Jella for a while seems like a smart thing to do.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

JT Jag posted:

Heading East sounds good to me, now that we have a solid stockpile of resources jumping into a level 1 grinding dungeon like Isla de Jella for a while seems like a smart thing to do.

This, we ought to gain some strength now that we have resources. Maybe a couple of days spent grinding can tell us exactly how much we get out of it.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I voted east because I think Isla de Jella would be perfect for us right now. All we’ve encountered is overwhelmingly powerful threats, and we could us some extra confidence in our abilities by grinding an easy dungeon. Also, maybe a decent safehouse.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I think the Isla de Jella would be a terrible safehouse. Every time you went to sleep jellies and slimes and such would eat your food and start growing on you. Great place to grind... if there wasn't a time limit. One trip there to try for the grand prize, then onto richer fare.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

habituallyred posted:

I think the Isla de Jella would be a terrible safehouse. Every time you went to sleep jellies and slimes and such would eat your food and start growing on you. Great place to grind... if there wasn't a time limit. One trip there to try for the grand prize, then onto richer fare.

This also sounds sensible.

For real though this whole experience is one of the coolest I have ever had the pleasure of having on this forum. I hope for much more to come!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Flip A Coin And We Go...

West - 8
East - 12

...LOADING

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Black August posted:

VOTING CLOSED - Flip A Coin And We Go...

West - 8
East - 12

...LOADING

this is disconcerting, because we always slay it :c00lbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sometimes we just stand there looking pretty while other people banish it, or we just hurt it so it leaves us alone.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'd say becoming a vampire would suit our Tyrant nature better than becoming a werewolf.

Although a lordly, crowned werewolf is a pretty metal imagine now that I think of it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Sounds like all we have to do is to pummel the werewolf hard enough that we were *clearly* never near-death in the first place. :smug:

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

placid saviour posted:

I'd say becoming a vampire would suit our Tyrant nature better than becoming a werewolf.

Although a lordly, crowned werewolf is a pretty metal imagine now that I think of it.

Psychic lich maybe?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DEVELOPER NOTICE
Posting to inform all players that I have a double shift of work today, followed by getting all four of my wisdom teeth violently extracted tomorrow morning. Supplemental material will be posted in the following days, but no updates until I'm in a state of mind that isn't drooling blood and rocked on 6 kinds of medications.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You say that like it will be a bad thing?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Not at all! I just have high ANXIETY over the procedure, since I won't get to be knocked out, just twilit. Be on the lookout for absolutely incoherent meltposts.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

:gonk: At least you'll never have to get a wisdom tooth extracted again? And for that sort of thing they'll probably break out the good painkillers, the sort Blue takes recreationally. It will just be like a very surreal dream filled with strange men in white coats who ask you to please stop biting them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

:gonk: At least you'll never have to get a wisdom tooth extracted again?

A friend of mine has had his tonsils removed a half dozen times, they just keep re-growing. Never say never.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Black August posted:

DEVELOPER NOTICE
Posting to inform all players that I have a double shift of work today, followed by getting all four of my wisdom teeth violently extracted tomorrow morning. Supplemental material will be posted in the following days, but no updates until I'm in a state of mind that isn't drooling blood and rocked on 6 kinds of medications.

Thanks for letting us know, you didn't even have to do that! Sorry bout your wisdom teeth, been there with a couple of badly impacted ones but four at one sounds like all kinds of 'fun'. Wishing you a speedy recovery and not just cause this thread kicks rear end. Be well and try not to worry yourself too much, it sucks but it feels like it's over quickly in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
idk, 6 different kinds of medications seems like it'd be perfect for an update from Dancer's perspective