Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Thought you map nerds would appreciate my latest interior design acquisition, an old french school map I date roughly to the 60s, owing to Oriental Pakistan and to the United Arab Republic (RAU in french) :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chikimiki posted:

Thought you map nerds would appreciate my latest interior design acquisition, an old french school map I date roughly to the 60s, owing to Oriental Pakistan and to the United Arab Republic (RAU in french) :eng101:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Chikimiki posted:

It also labels Xinjiang as "Sin-kiang (Chinese Turkestan)".

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

People knew how to have fun back in the day :v:

Also note that a lot of the spellings are obsolete, like Chang-Haï instead of Shanghai for instance.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Aleppo is probably the oldest continuously built and rebuilt city in the Mediterranean (or maybe Byblos or Jerusalem)

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 29, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

Aleppo is probably the oldest continuously built and rebuilt city in the Mediterranean (or maybe Byblos or Jerusalem)

I think it’s Damascus

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Hate to be that guy, but again this comes down to how you define a "city" and "continuously settled." There are a lot of contenders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_continuously_inhabited_cities

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

The old city of Jerusalem appears quite old. It isnt fully classical in the Roman sense, but it is still old.

it is amazing to walk through the old city and see all those landmarks youve heard about all your life in such close proximity.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think it’s Damascus

Byblos is older than Damascus

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Chikimiki posted:

Political map of Asia... includes France.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OddObserver posted:

I mean with that projection its hard not to and it is probably one of the better ones to show Asia in detail

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Europe begins at the Pyrénées

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OddObserver posted:

*Ho Chi Minh voice* that's the political part

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I demand high res for avatar purposes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

MeinPanzer posted:

This kind of gets back to the "oldest X in Y country" debate, but however you take things Constantinople isn't really exceptional in this regard for a large Mediterranean city and I think you're greatly underestimating how much Byzantion/Constantinople was constantly rebuilt through history. In this regard, Rome is just as "classical (keep in mind that tons of structures in Rome have ancient foundations).

Yeah, those pesky humans who live in a place keep knocking down crappy old buildings before they become old enough to be really special, and building new things on the sites.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Library of Constantinople was the last of the great ancient libraries, though. For as much as Alexandria gets the fame, Constantine actually moved a lot of its stock to his new capital city before it was destroyed.

Then the slobbering barbarians burned it in 1204.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Grand Fromage posted:

For complete preservation, 1204. The Venetians were the first to truly ransack the city, loot all the great treasures, burn down whole sections. 800 years is a while ago but still, that's a hell of a lot longer than anywhere else made it. In 1453 it was already by far the longest surviving classical city. I don't know enough about the Ottoman era but my understanding is that they didn't change the city a ton, I know Mehmed II didn't allow mass destruction. Churches became mosques, new mosques and a new palace built, but otherwise not all that different until well into the 1800s when it was "modernized".

There's still a fair amount of the old city intact though, I really want to go.

The sultan lamented how much had to be rebuilt when he took it over. The Roman state didn't have enough money or people to maintain alot of their monuments, especially the palace which was abandoned instead of repaired. Constantinople was a depopulated wreck by the time it got conquered. And alot of structures never got fully renovated after the end of the Iconclasm, so there are fewer mosaics and other decorations than might be expected.

If you ever do come, drop me a message, I'll make sure you get a proper guide instead of one of the half dozen varieties of bitter nationalists that hang around major sites to give their sides myths and slanders. Also the actual good restaurants/bars (basically none in the Old City).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that it was impressive that Constantinople maintained itself as the same state for so long, but I can't help but think that it was probably better for people under its dominion after the city finally fell and a new regime got established. An invincible city is great if you can afford city living, but not so much if you're living in the territory where the next round of invaders are coming through.

In a very real way, the city fell to its own aristocracy maneuvering for power, both because the fourth crusade was directed by a claimant to the throne and because the crusades themselves were the result of a ploy by the greek orthodox to get the catholics to help reclaim territory that they lost in the last round of conquests (one of the prominent crusaders even having come from a family who pushed the Byzantines out of Italy for good, that's a lot of wheeling and dealing).

Byzantine posted:

The Library of Constantinople was the last of the great ancient libraries, though. For as much as Alexandria gets the fame, Constantine actually moved a lot of its stock to his new capital city before it was destroyed.

Then the slobbering barbarians burned it in 1204.

It's not an ancient library if it lasts long past the ancient era. :v:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not an ancient library if it lasts long past the ancient era. :v:

I mean, it burnt down in the 5th century. Then was probably rebuilt and probably destroyed in the 4th crusade. Then it was destroyed again by the Ottomans. So it's not like the Imperial library was one building that existed intact.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
People love the idea of an ancient place that's never been altered by anything other than weather and erosion. That's the main draw of Stonehenge. And Stonehenge is bullshit because they literally "reconstructed" it last century.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

People love the idea of an ancient place that's never been altered by anything other than weather and erosion. That's the main draw of Stonehenge. And Stonehenge is bullshit because they literally "reconstructed" it last century.

hey dont fetish shame

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

something tells me the ottomans thought crimea was sorta neat

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
So much so that if the Ottomans died out the Khans of Krim took over. Although that was mostly the Ottomans deep institutional loathing of Turks.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I find funny that the USA citizens refer to their country has "America".

It would be like germans refering to themselves as "Europe".

Anyway, if USA=america, then the people living on the south of USA are south-americans..

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

Anyway, if USA=america, then the people living on the south of USA are south-americans..

Inhabitants of the Federal Republic of Germany are called germans
Inhabitants of the United States of America are called...

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Tei posted:

It's because their country is called United States of America. Did you ever wonder what "USA" stands for? Well now you know!

Similarly, we call people from the Republic of South Africa "South Africans" even though, technically, a person from Botswana is also a South African. It's all pretty straight forward and easy to understand.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

US American. :cool:

That's a silly comparison though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

unitedstatesperson

unitedstatian

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

naming your country with colonialist ambitions has unfortunate implications, news at 11.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

cebrail posted:

It's because their country is called United States of America. Did you ever wonder what "USA" stands for? Well now you know!

Similarly, we call people from the Republic of South Africa "South Africans" even though, technically, a person from Botswana is also a South African. It's all pretty straight forward and easy to understand.

Going by your example they should be called “U.S. Americans” to avoid being confused with the continent.

That’s a little unwieldy though, we should go with “yank” or “gringo”.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

The continents are referred to as North America, South America, or just The Americas, and the denonynms for the first two do not get confused with the US (although “North America” is also ambiguous for terrible reasons as well).

You have a similar problem with other countries with similar naming issues. The adjective and demonym for the Central African Republic is “Central African” in English, despite the ambiguity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And both are the result of Europeans showing up somewhere and drawing a bunch of lines.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

The continents are referred to as North America, South America, or just The Americas, and the denonynms for the first two do not get confused with the US (although “North America” is also ambiguous for terrible reasons as well).

Old article but still applies, it’s definitely confusing in Latin America:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/06/what-does-american-actually-mean/276999/

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Words can have specific and general meanings at the same time.

Or do you think everyone who says they're gay is a male homosexual.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DuckHuntDog posted:

You have a similar problem with other countries with similar naming issues. The adjective and demonym for the Central African Republic is “Central African” in English, despite the ambiguity.

It being 2 continents is an english-speaking convention. Its one continent in Spanish language and French language cultures iirc. The real reason is just dibs. First to revolt got America, second to revolt got Colombia, everyone else has to name themselves something weird like Little Venice because theres a lot of houses built on the water or Silver place because of silver's mined here but in latin to make it fancy or Equator because we're really close to the equator :effort:.

Should've overthrew Spanish tyranny faster Bolivarailures :agesilaus:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Some suggestions for how to fix this problem. Ideas for alternative demonyms for people from the USA:

North Central American
Non-Latin American (may be confusing with Suriname and Belize)
Americxn
United American
Vespuccian

When you think about it it's pretty weird that everything here got named after Amerigo's given name rather than his surname.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

South Canada and North Canada (with an eventual reunification of our peoples of course

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've always thought that the United States of America was the Central African Republic of the Americas, such an incredibly generic name. And their main political parties are called the Democrats and the Republicans? Jesus Christ. Why not the Federalists, too.

However, they make up for it by using various measurement units that no one else uses.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I've always thought that the United States of America was the Central African Republic of the Americas, such an incredibly generic name. And their main political parties are called the Democrats and the Republicans? Jesus Christ. Why not the Federalists, too.

However, they make up for it by using various measurement units that no one else uses.

Don't you disrespect my empire like that. I'll have you know that for every great city in Europe we have an even better one in the US. Where would you rather go; Paris, France or Paris, Texas. Put your cowboy hat on and stop lying to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Americs