Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

berenzen posted:

The only dud on that banner really are the bell and the codex though? and even codex isn't that bad. Dragon's bane is great for support xiang. Warbow is the second best support bow in the game, Lions roar is a good 4* weapon for keqing and bennett carries. Hell, if Xinyan has HP scaling, the bell might end up being good for her

Xinyan is defense-based, and ties with Noelle for the best defense in the game, so the Bell sadly is useless to her as well, despite a music-based sword being appropriate for a rockstar like her. One that doesn't quite match her aesthetic, though.

Overall it's kind of lackluster, I think. 4* weapons, the Bell aside, aren't bad, but they aren't really anything you'd actively want bad enough to roll for specifically. Definitely not as appealing as the Sacrificial weapons (which also had to have Dragon's Bane since they don't have a spear, but as you say it at least fills a role that nothing else does better so getting one isn't bad). The whole draw of the banner is the 5* weapons, and a banner where you only really the 5*s is a banner that's going to be largely disappointing.

Anyway, re: Zhongli, I see people speculating that he might be a great support for Noelle and help her teams deal with their usual difficulty of shield-breaking in the Abyss, plus he seems like he definitely has burst support potential. We'll see if he can hack it as a main DPS with Bolide or not too; people are going to be testing the heck out of him once he drops.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oh hey, Sucrose has been a staple on my team so long that she leveled up naturally.

You've come a long way from being a level 1 miner overshadowed by Venti. Happy belated birthday :unsmith:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oh man, just hit C6 on Diona. Got my pity at 78 on the character banner as of that pull. I've been holding off on using her until I get a good set of artifacts to put on her but the C6 bonus looks extremely tempting. At this point, am I better off running her in my main party over Qiqi C0? I mostly just use Qiqi as a healer lately, but I realise her cryo application is quite lacking.

gandlethorpe posted:

Oh hey, Sucrose has been a staple on my team so long that she leveled up naturally.

You've come a long way from being a level 1 miner overshadowed by Venti. Happy belated birthday :unsmith:

I started after Venti's banner and even with Sucrose at C0 she pulls a shitload of weight in the Abyss. I'm so grateful I lumped her in with my "main characters to level to world cap level" priority group because she's so goddamn good. Anyone who hasn't got Venti but has Sucrose should feel good because she's a near-perfect replica.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 29, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

nightwisher posted:

Oh man, just hit C6 on Diona. Got my pity at 78 on the character banner as of that pull. I've been holding off on using her until I get a good set of artifacts to put on her but the C6 bonus looks extremely tempting. At this point, am I better off running her in my main party over Qiqi C0? I mostly just use Qiqi as a healer lately, but I realise her cryo application is quite lacking.

Depends on what your main sources of damage are. If you cause a lot of damage reactions, then she would definitely provide a lot of offensive support on top of her already adequate defense. Qiqi is a more reliable healer, though.

I'm jealous as gently caress. Pair her with Sucrose and fill out the rest with your favorite reaction spammers and watch the numbers go up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Roland Jones posted:

Anyway, re: Zhongli, I see people speculating that he might be a great support for Noelle

Wait what? Do you mean Ningguang?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

gandlethorpe posted:

Depends on what your main sources of damage are. If you cause a lot of damage reactions, then she would definitely provide a lot of offensive support on top of her already adequate defense. Qiqi is a more reliable healer, though.

I'm jealous as gently caress. Pair her with Sucrose and fill out the rest with your favorite reaction spammers and watch the numbers go up.

I usually run XQ/Klee/Qiqi/Beidou as my regular main party for most world/domain stuff outside the obvious element-immune enemy encounters and I'm pretty satisfied, though Qiqi picks up a lot of slack as I'm not great at dodging the big nastly enemy hits reliably. I love freeze as a CC mechanic even if I don't fully utilise the damage bonuses for phys damage with Beidou, so if Diona's better at that at the expense of some healing then it sounds like a better fit overall. I realise I've gotten extremely lucky to max her out over 70 wishes over the month but at the same time, I'd love just one goddamn Sucrose/Bennet/Ning C2 constellation :v:

edit: wait gently caress does Beidou's skills convert phys to electro? I was under the impression she did so that phys damage increases would scale her counter damage but I just realise now that I have no basis to make that claim on and oh no

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 29, 2020

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ashenai posted:

Wait what? Do you mean Ningguang?

No, Noelle. Besides generating energy for her and his petrification giving her extra damage, depending on how his Geo resonance works some people think he might be the thing that lets her work in the Abyss when otherwise she struggles with Fatui due to their shields; Jinx goes into it here, but basically his channel partner, who mostly plays Noelle teams, has some ideas (including three Geo people, Noelle, Zhongli, and the Traveler to provide more energy and extra structures for Zhongli's stele to resonate with) and is going to be testing the gently caress out of them once the banner arrives. I don't play Noelle much beyond co-opping with a lower-level friend and having used her a fair amount in the previous phase of this event, though I have her at C6 and have been building her up to try her in harder content.

Maybe he'll be good with Ningguang too, though. Wouldn't surprise me. But the Noelle thing is what caught my attention.

Meanwhile, C6 Diona is great, and fills almost a different role from Qiqi really; latter is mostly there for the healing, former focuses on other stuff with the heal being a nice bonus. Both just happen to be short Cryo characters.

I got my first Diona after getting Tartaglia even, meaning mine is still C0 because I need to save for the next banner at this point, so add me to the list of people jealous of the C6 one, meanwhile. Instead I got C2 Beidou and C3 Ningguang.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 29, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking of Geo stuff, I recently got Nigguang up to 80 with the intent to use her as a carry because why the hell not, what artifact sets are considered best for that? I got a boss Geo damage Noblesse goblet so I've currently got her with 2p Noblesse and 2p Petra, but would something like 4p Bolide and people to react off of to drop crystals/Noelle for her shield be better in the long run?

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Bussamove posted:

Speaking of Geo stuff, I recently got Nigguang up to 80 with the intent to use her as a carry because why the hell not, what artifact sets are considered best for that? I got a boss Geo damage Noblesse goblet so I've currently got her with 2p Noblesse and 2p Petra, but would something like 4p Bolide and people to react off of to drop crystals/Noelle for her shield be better in the long run?

This google docs is a good source of best builds and sets for each char depending on if you're looking for support or main DPS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14KezgHl7VHzKS4XazrzgUTanF7W9WQZz/edit#gid=809817204

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

nightwisher posted:

I usually run XQ/Klee/Qiqi/Beidou as my regular main party for most world/domain stuff outside the obvious element-immune enemy encounters and I'm pretty satisfied, though Qiqi picks up a lot of slack as I'm not great at dodging the big nastly enemy hits reliably. I love freeze as a CC mechanic even if I don't fully utilise the damage bonuses for phys damage with Beidou, so if Diona's better at that at the expense of some healing then it sounds like a better fit overall. I realise I've gotten extremely lucky to max her out over 70 wishes over the month but at the same time, I'd love just one goddamn Sucrose/Bennet/Ning C2 constellation :v:

edit: wait gently caress does Beidou's skills convert phys to electro? I was under the impression she did so that phys damage increases would scale her counter damage but I just realise now that I have no basis to make that claim on and oh no
I'd experiment with a level 1 diona or whatever to see how meaningful the 200 EM on her ult is for XQ/Klee. I suspect it could be quite meaningful but if you're happy with Qiqi it's a lot of resources for another cryo healer.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wang posted:

This google docs is a good source of best builds and sets for each char depending on if you're looking for support or main DPS.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14KezgHl7VHzKS4XazrzgUTanF7W9WQZz/edit#gid=809817204

Xingqiu is such a support god that he has a link to his own guide and is the only character without a DPS build. Even Barbara gets one lol.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Wang posted:

Er, what the hell is a Kunwu's Iris Rift, I've never even heard of that spear.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ashenai posted:

Er, what the hell is a Kunwu's Iris Rift, I've never even heard of that spear.

It's the Vortex Vanquisher, for some reason the leaks referred to it by that name instead. The wiki still calls it by that name and has the wrong effect as well even.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I have a question about team levels. I saw a guide somewhere that said to max your carry and only level your supports to 50 or so in order to hit endgame quickly and have enough resources to do so.

At AR32 I'm already getting warnings in domains about my party being lower than the recommended level, this is with a carry at 60 and the rest of the team at 50.

How are people running bosses, domains and abyss with a level 80 carry and level 50 supports? How does that work with co-op if somebody already has your main?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Hexel posted:

I have a question about team levels. I saw a guide somewhere that said to max your carry and only level your supports to 50 or so in order to hit endgame quickly and have enough resources to do so.

At AR32 I'm already getting warnings in domains about my party being lower than the recommended level, this is with a carry at 60 and the rest of the team at 50.

How are people running bosses, domains and abyss with a level 80 carry and level 50 supports? How does that work with co-op if somebody already has your main?

You'll get the domain level warnings anytime your average party level is below the recommended level. As long as your main source of damage is on par (or even slightly below) that mark you will be fine as long as your supports aren't getting one-shot.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
You should consider taking your supports to level 60, so they can get their fourth ascension--the passive they get from it is often very high value. But a lot of the things that a good support unit can provide don't care that much about your stats: Vaporize and Melt are a flat multiplier even if the hydro/cryo was applied by a level 1 character, a level 80 kaeya or amber is no better at knocking out fatui/abyss mage shields as their level 1 selves, and nothing outside of Abyss deals enough damage that your healers can't keep up even if they're 10-20 levels lower.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hexel posted:

Since the Spiral Abyss demands two teams eventually, you should have at least two usable DPS characters. Plus sometimes in co-op domains you might need to be the person playing healer, in which case being a lower level isn't a problem as long as you can still survive, since you won't be able to swap out.

Also, for a lot of people the stopping point is 60, rather than 50, because that's when they get their second ascension passive, though not all supports actually need it to support well (such as when the passive only matters when in a DPS role).

It's a very context-dependent thing; Sucrose and Venti support, for example, do have value in being leveled past 60 because it helps their reaction damage scale, but it's not nearly as important as leveling your main DPS, while as people have pointed out Amber and Kaeya can run around at level 1 and achieve most of what people use them for without any less effectiveness, as long as they don't get hit. (Though it's so cheap that you may as well being them to 20/40 at least.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 29, 2020

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I run Keqing, Xingqiu, Fischl and Bennett. I understand Xingqiu really benefits from his 4th ascension so I'll hit that and leave the rest of my supports at 60, thanks guys.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Fischl's 2nd passive is incredibly good especially with something like Xingqiu burst on Keqing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Fischl's 2nd passive is incredibly good especially with something like Xingqiu burst on Keqing.

Understood. I'll grab that too, thanks dudes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's awkward for electro comps because reactions scale with character level but nobody seems to know the formula. So it's hard to actually give good advice.

EDIT: Also if anyone was curious, AR55 might as well be a soft cap for now:

That's two months with full resin refreshes every day and I'm assuming it only goes up from there.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 29, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Man, I wonder if I'm going to be kicking myself for not picking up Ningguang while I had the chance, what with the potential Zhongli synergies. Dammit, the Wish screen... it calls to me...

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is level 70 StormTerror broken? Was every platform was damaging to stand on? I had to give up and do one lower because I couldn't justify wasting all of my food.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

UltraRed posted:

Is it just me or is level 70 StormTerror broken? Was every platform was damaging to stand on? I had to give up and do one lower because I couldn't justify wasting all of my food.

Did it start out like that? Because that eventually happens at every difficulty level, if you don't kill him in time. The fight is designed to keep escalating, so you can't just dodge his poo poo forever and keep plinking away at him.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

UltraRed posted:

He'll do it on a timer but also seems like he'll do it randomly sometimes, I had bad luck this week where he did it three times in 30 seconds and was in full enrage for like 60% of the fight. You don't take damage if you're on riding the air currents though, and most of his attacks won't hit you in the air either. You can sustain your way through enrage for a long time like that

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
How many cycles is it taking you to kill Stormterror? Stormterror feels like it repeats the same pattern every time, unless it is just coincidence from a small sample size. For me it seems the first time you get him down he burns the platform and you need to move. Then when you move to a non-burning platform it seems like it allows you to knock him down 2 times before he burns the platform. Typically that is when I kill him, though I there are still some open ones for another few cycles. I am not sure what you mean by enrage? He does not seem to do much and at least for me is by far the easiest weekly:
Fly by - iframe dodge
swipe/land/tornado breath - iframe dodge and then run to the hand his head is pointing away from and beat it up, can knock him down from one of these cycles
a different swipe where you can beat up his hand - can typically only get the hand to half health before he pops up, but he does not do much here so it is still free damage to his hand
shoots balls - just run to dodge, it seems like he always burns the platform after this

Does he do anything else?

Realizing I could climb his neck massively sped up the fight for me, when I first started playing I thought you had to use the air things or venti to fly up there and wasted a lot of time with that.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 29, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
According to the wiki, there's no randomness involved: he does it on a timer or after you break his shield a set number of times.

If you break his shield 6 times, he goes to full enrage regardless of the time. So there is a DPS race aspect to the fight.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Normally it's a very predictable fight for me idk what happened this week, I broke him and he did the first roar as I'd expect, and then as I was gliding over to the next platform he roared again (and made me fall to my death since I was between platforms) and then did the third roar after I got to the safe spot. Never seen it go that way before

I have seen real enrage before when I tried to fight him way undergeared the first time, and the real full enrage he'll hit all the platforms with one roar, not roar three times

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
The little official documentaries about the music in this game are really really good.

https://youtu.be/JsDRUNFAcyo

Watched that one earlier and it was awesome.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Pain of Mind posted:

Fly by - iframe dodge

You don't even need to do that, just stick to either side of the platform. The attack doesn't track you at all, he always goes straight down the middle.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had trouble last time with Stormterror because like 2-3 of the times I knocked him down I ended up falling off or clipping through his head and getting stuck in his neck

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
On level 60, I can usually break his shield every time he puts his mitts down. I think 6 cycles sounds about right for how long it took me to kill him.

70 was longer, so I guess I just kinda took too long dang. Do people do procs on his tainted blood crystal? I've just been throwing down a fire bear and whacking on it.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Sure, why not do procs? You can switch chars just fine while standing on his neck. It's the most important DPS window of the fight, you gotta go all out.

(You also wanna make sure your damage bursts are ready when you get up there, so you usually want to hold them even if it means taking a little longer to break his shield.)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
chongyun seems like he'd be decent support with my childe/beidou/bennet crew? childe wouldnt get the + sword/claymore bonuses but the other two would. Not sure if making beidou's attacks into cryo would be synergy or anti-synergy tho - does it overwrite the electro attribute from her e, or would it give everything superconduct and be amazing?
e: looks like it's only 2 seconds so it barely matters

Tangerines
Apr 25, 2016

Anyone who's played this type of games before know if we can expect to see something over the holidays? I'm hoping for some varied banners, but have no idea if this would be a usual thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Depends if China celebrates Christmas that much. Mihoyo got some poo poo at the start for skipping a chinese holiday and are actively avoiding any western holidays (like halloween) to avoid "bias."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Man this weapon banner looks terrible. Both 5*s are abysmal (atk secondary on a 5*, twice???), the bell is bad, Lion's Roar doesn't work on anyone with Black Sword so easily available, Dragon's Bane is a spear, everyone owns Favonious Warbow, and Favonious Codex is only really right on Mona with Mappa Mare f2p for Sucrose and Solar Pearl so easy to get for Klee/Ninguang. Really makes me appreciate the BP.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 29, 2020

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

awesmoe posted:

chongyun seems like he'd be decent support with my childe/beidou/bennet crew? childe wouldnt get the + sword/claymore bonuses but the other two would. Not sure if making beidou's attacks into cryo would be synergy or anti-synergy tho - does it overwrite the electro attribute from her e, or would it give everything superconduct and be amazing?
e: looks like it's only 2 seconds so it barely matters

Chong is a great support for dps bennet but doesn't really synergize with childe/Beidou due to cryo's best reactions being Superconduct and Melt which they can't take advantage of.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Figured out today that the trick to Stormterror is that the neck isn't corporeal until the yellow target icon around the corrupted thorn is present. You can climb as soon as you see that, before, and you clip into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tangerines posted:

Anyone who's played this type of games before know if we can expect to see something over the holidays? I'm hoping for some varied banners, but have no idea if this would be a usual thing.

Almost certainly not, mihoyo straight-up said that they don't think real-world holidays belong in Teyvat, and won't be doing holiday events. Apparently Teyvat will have its own holidays, though.