Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Demonicpoodle posted:

For me the difference is, with Doflamingo I felt like he never should've been able to do that. The only way, to me, those strings should've been basically unbreakable is if they were coated in Haki unless I'm severely misunderstanding something about strings, I'm no string connoisseur.
And if they were coated in Haki, that should've drained Doflamingo's Haki reserves very fast. All of that with him not focusing on it either.

With Kaido, the guy's literally just so physically strong, and has the mythical power to do it, that it works for me.
Not only that, there's even a precedent for him being able to do this about 300 chapters ago! A dragon producing clouds.

Yeah basically an unbeatable, indestructible cage of strings that not even a loving Navy Admiral and someone in contention for best swordsman in the world can do anything about is not something that should have just been casually done by a Warlord.

Like in my eyes the strength of Birdcage is actually more absurd than making Onigashima float. And even if the principle of "gotta beat the source" remains the same between them, this also has the narrative benefit of not having at least two people present who should by all rights be able to directly counteract it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If it had just been whenever you cut the string the birdcage fires down EVEN MORE strings, it would have worked out perfectly for "beat the source"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
And the chapter is officially out!

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007923

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Viz link

I think this chapter does tip the scales more toward Kaido being a dragon who transforms into a human/oni, but I wouldn't say it's all but confirmed.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Zoro is officially done with this poo poo and is about to cut a bitch. And all it took was an ally he respected losing her arm. I love how his initial reaction to seeing Kiku's severed arm is to quite calmly walk forward towards the Apoo-Drake clash, cut one mook down without even looking and then without any hurry prepare one of his killer moves and then destroy Apoo so fast that X Drake is left wondering what the gently caress just happened. He does start shouting at Queen a bit later, but that initial reaction of murderous serenity is just so great.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Moments like these were Zoro gets to be a complete and total badass are why he's my favorite Strawhat after Luffy. There are other characters with great emotional payoffs too, but I can't help the fact that People Being Badass is my favorite thing about shonen.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Let's not forget Brook making sure Zoro doesn't get a big head about it. You beastly man!

Also I know that Sanji is problematic but his declaration of love for Black Maria was a pretty good bit. Fingers crossed by the end of this arc she pulls a Viola and switches sides for Mr. Prince.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

God drat what an amazing chapter. That last page is amazing.

Although I'm worried we don't see any of the samurai in it. :ohdear:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Once again, Zoro has cut another worthless object.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
This chapter hurt me on a personal level.

But Black Maria might have a Black Widow Zoan fruit, that's pretty cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ancient black widow dinosaur

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

oddium posted:

ancient black widow dinosaur

Oda read about some really cool prehistoric spider and drat it, he's going to use that information somehow

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Seeing Zoro just dominate Apoo was pretty great, I feel like he may go after Queen next, hopefully he doesn't try to get to the roof because he'll end up on mainland Wano somehow.

And poor Sanji, he just can't catch a break.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'd have really liked it if we had a King and Queen vs Zoro and Sanji showdown in the finale. Looks like Sanji is stuck a tier below though. I imagine Jinbei will get one of the two big, non-kaido fights if it's not a group effort to take them down.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'd have really liked it if we had a King and Queen vs Zoro and Sanji showdown in the finale. Looks like Sanji is stuck a tier below though. I imagine Jinbei will get one of the two big, non-kaido fights if it's not a group effort to take them down.

Seems like Marco is going to come into play helping to counter King's aerial control

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Warden posted:

Zoro is officially done with this poo poo and is about to cut a bitch. And all it took was an ally he respected losing her arm. I love how his initial reaction to seeing Kiku's severed arm is to quite calmly walk forward towards the Apoo-Drake clash, cut one mook down without even looking and then without any hurry prepare one of his killer moves and then destroy Apoo so fast that X Drake is left wondering what the gently caress just happened. He does start shouting at Queen a bit later, but that initial reaction of murderous serenity is just so great.

Have we even seen Zoro in a life or death fight since the time skip? It feels like it's been years at this point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Thoren posted:

Have we even seen Zoro in a life or death fight since the time skip? It feels like it's been years at this point.

It took until that fight with Killer and the fox that happened while he was trying to protect two people, after a week of eating/drinking poison, for him to even take damage in a fight, so no.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I find it amusing that Zoro and Apoo are both "Supernovas". Of course so is X Drake, but he's an undercover marine so it doesn't really count.

Also amusing in the context of X Drake calling himself "An army of one" a few chapters ago.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the image of zoro's panel needs to be the thread title i don't care what has to get done to make it happen!! get me jeffery or the nebula av guy and get it done !!

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Zoro having his moment to show how he's above the level of having to care about chaff like Apoo is my favorite thing in a long time

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Zoro going "wish I could fly up there" and then Marco flies in going "hello strawhats, it's me, the guy who can fly" seems like a slam dunk that he's going to carry at least zoro up to the roof.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Zoro going "wish I could fly up there" and then Marco flies in going "hello strawhats, it's me, the guy who can fly" seems like a slam dunk that he's going to carry at least zoro up to the roof.
additionally there's
Chopper: we need heat, such as from fire, to stop the spread while i make an antidote

Marco, the magic fire bird man: sup

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

They're gonna pull that thing Guts and Zodd did to kill ganishka

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Chopper is getting to do some doctoring. This is :bignews:

Also, Zoro just casually and comfortably placing his trust in his friend to handle the problem he can’t cut with a sword was a very nice moment.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zoro is so cool and I def think that was a little breadcrumb or his conquerors haki showing up this arc

Also his proud dad moment with chopper must be acknowledged

I was pretty dismissive of kaido being just a dragon but with the Yamato teeth transformation last chapter and now this I think maybe he is. Also no fruit box on his intro of dragon form. Dragons can take human form in this kind of story imo

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Thoren posted:

Indiana_Krom posted:

I find it amusing that Zoro and Apoo are both "Supernovas". Of course so is X Drake, but he's an undercover marine so it doesn't really count.

Also amusing in the context of X Drake calling himself "An army of one" a few chapters ago.

Well, Apoo did use his bullshit DF powers to cut Zoro during Onigashima raid. And when he and Drake rushed Apoo, he managed to hold them both off for a bit. And while Apoo was getting driven back, he wasn't insta-stomped by Drake's hybrid form. Drake fighting Apoo gave Zoro an opening and he took it and it was bye bye Apoo.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I'm of the opinion that Kaido has no devil fruit powers. He's a dragon and dragons can just do that. I mean, he's never shown a hybrid form, only human (pretty much) and dragon. I don't think he's a Zoan!

I think that in chapter 1000, someone is gonna try to dunk him in the sea, or smack him with seastone and they will be SHOCKED that it has no effect. Then Kaido will say something like "Who ever said I was a Devil Fruit User?"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I said before in the spoiler tags I think, but it’s pretty telling that Kaido is lifting the entire island with dragon clouds even though he’s not a dragon right now.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I said before in the spoiler tags I think, but it’s pretty telling that Kaido is lifting the entire island with dragon clouds even though he’s not a dragon right now.

Is it? Because Marco was like healing dudes without being a bird.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I believe Kaido is just a dragon with no fruit power, because it'd be cool as gently caress.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
In a surprise twist Monkey D. Dragon is also just a dragon, somehow

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

At this altitude he almost qualifies as a celestial dragon.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wudz posted:

In a surprise twist Monkey D. Dragon is also just a dragon, somehow

It was loving RIGHT IN FRONT OF US THE WHOLE TIME

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
or as some call me, monkey the dragon

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm of the opinion that Kaido has no devil fruit powers. He's a dragon and dragons can just do that. I mean, he's never shown a hybrid form, only human (pretty much) and dragon. I don't think he's a Zoan!

I think that in chapter 1000, someone is gonna try to dunk him in the sea, or smack him with seastone and they will be SHOCKED that it has no effect. Then Kaido will say something like "Who ever said I was a Devil Fruit User?"

Turns out Kaido is Yammy.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I'm also of the opinion of Kaido being just a dragon with no fruit. But i've been thinking that since about a year ago and for reasons:

Kaido's human form seems to have properties of his dragon form, including the horns and his ridiculously tough skin, and possibly the dragon scale tattoo. No other zoan that I am aware of has properties of their zoan fruit transferred to their base form.

Kaido, unlike all other zoans, prefers to chill around in his supposed transformed mode (dragon) and switches to his base form (human) when poo poo gets serious. No other zoan I can recall does this. I don't think it's likely he's a dragon who ate a human form, so that would also point to not being a zoan at all.

When Kaido was introduced, either during the narration describing all his failed death/suicide attempts or at some later point, I feel like I can clearly recalling a line going "He tried to drown himself, but his body would not let him." This would mean he is either the only human with a fruit able to swim, which would be a pretty Kaido feat tbh, or he doesn't have a fruit and that's why he can't just drown himself.

But my main reason is that he just doesn't seem to act an think like a One Piece human. His personality is very off-the-charts for a One Piece villain, with reluctant/apathetic tendencies, barbaric displays of violence and then displaying remorse over them, suicidal thoughts, and just the general feeling that he doesn't want to be here doing this. He wants to see the world burn, but also he... would love to... die heroically in battle?? Compare to Orochi who wants to see Wano burn and would, like, prefer not to die so he can see his vengeance through. To me it's just such a split character that it's hard to get a read on, but it makes a lot of sense for a member of an ancient almost-extinct race with a mix of sadness/apathy/hatred/revenge motivation.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bisse posted:

I'm also of the opinion of Kaido being just a dragon with no fruit. But i've been thinking that since about a year ago and for reasons:

Kaido's human form seems to have properties of his dragon form, including the horns and his ridiculously tough skin, and possibly the dragon scale tattoo. No other zoan that I am aware of has properties of their zoan fruit transferred to their base form.

Kaido, unlike all other zoans, prefers to chill around in his supposed transformed mode (dragon) and switches to his base form (human) when poo poo gets serious. No other zoan I can recall does this. I don't think it's likely he's a dragon who ate a human form, so that would also point to not being a zoan at all.

When Kaido was introduced, either during the narration describing all his failed death/suicide attempts or at some later point, I feel like I can clearly recalling a line going "He tried to drown himself, but his body would not let him." This would mean he is either the only human with a fruit able to swim, which would be a pretty Kaido feat tbh, or he doesn't have a fruit and that's why he can't just drown himself.

But my main reason is that he just doesn't seem to act an think like a One Piece human. His personality is very off-the-charts for a One Piece villain, with reluctant/apathetic tendencies, barbaric displays of violence and then displaying remorse over them, suicidal thoughts, and just the general feeling that he doesn't want to be here doing this. He wants to see the world burn, but also he... would love to... die heroically in battle?? Compare to Orochi who wants to see Wano burn and would, like, prefer not to die so he can see his vengeance through. To me it's just such a split character that it's hard to get a read on, but it makes a lot of sense for a member of an ancient almost-extinct race with a mix of sadness/apathy/hatred/revenge motivation.

So you're saying he's too complex a character to be an OPverse human? :v:

Failing to drown himself doesn't necessarily mean he can swim; maybe he can breathe underwater (like Jack) or can survive without breathing entirely.

The horns aren't necessarily a dragon thing; there are both giants and humans who naturally have horns in One Piece.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I’d almost bet my life kaido has a fruit and chapter 1000 is gonna be the island dropping onto the capital as an act closer

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

A thought regarding Kaido being a dragon. Big Mom prides herself on having representation from every human race in OP, except for giants. But she doesn't have an oni child or crewmate of any sort that is similar to Yamato or Kaido. Might be more evidence they aren't "human"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

All the big players get to the roof by chapter 1000, Kaido stares them all down and looks so loving done with this poo poo, none of these fucks are Oden, why are there so many, god my feet hurt. And so begins his flashback.