Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Slimnoid posted:

Gloss is a lot tougher a varnish than matte. This isn't to say matte isn't protective (it is!), and if your models are in a cabinet 95% of the time you could probably just stop with that. But if they are being handled/transported regularly, gloss is something you want to consider first--especially for metal models.

Eej posted:

Gloss also provides a smooth surface for your matte varnish. Matte varnish can get cloudy if it ends up being applied unevenly either due to the method of application or surface texture of your model.

Thank you both. I'm nearing the point where I'm going to start varnishing things and this is super helpful to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Matte over gloss also has the benefit of a visual change when/if the varnish gets rubbed off. Your models will get shiny before the paint will come off.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Why does the Imperial Knight Canis Rex box, which apparently contains weapons to make every configuration of knight, cost less than the individual knights?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does anyone have any good videos or tips on how to mix together paints on a wet palette? I see some videos where they can get a really nice gradient mixed together in a few shakes of their hand but apparently I skated through kindergarten because I can only blend together one intermediate color at a time.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
How do I paint a good orange? I'm trying to paint up the ork Start Collecting box with construction orange shirts and armor, and the issues I'm coming up with are:

-the orange paints I've tried are all pretty transparent, so the undercoat has to be light, and I need 2-3 coats to get good coverage, and
-the base color is pretty bright, so shading and highlighting are tricky

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I've also been doing orks with an orange theme. I'm using wraithbone as the base and doing lots of thin layers of trollslayer orange. Its tedious but it does end up looking very construction worker orange.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If you put yellow ink over pink you'll get orange. The lighter the pink the brighter the orange. It's easy mode orange/yellow painting!

Communist Walrus posted:

What's the reasoning behind gloss + matte instead of just matte?

Also you can use very cheap gloss varnish (like the Klear cleaning product I always mention!) to "save" your progress. I'll gloss varnish after base painting, before edge highlighting and even before weathering (and before matt varnishing as mentioned). Also before decals. Decals LOVE to stick to a glossy surface. Then lock everything with matt or satin.

The idea is that you could use an acrylic cleaner product if you make a mistake - if you locked what's underneath with a varnish, you'll remove only what's over it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ineptitude posted:

Why does the Imperial Knight Canis Rex box, which apparently contains weapons to make every configuration of knight, cost less than the individual knights?

why do necron warriors cost more than a recruit box?

GW counts on people buying what they need instead of what's a good deal

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Furism posted:

If you put yellow ink over pink you'll get orange. The lighter the pink the brighter the orange. It's easy mode orange/yellow painting!

Also you can use very cheap gloss varnish (like the Klear cleaning product I always mention!) to "save" your progress. I'll gloss varnish after base painting, before edge highlighting and even before weathering (and before matt varnishing as mentioned). Also before decals. Decals LOVE to stick to a glossy surface. Then lock everything with matt or satin.

The idea is that you could use an acrylic cleaner product if you make a mistake - if you locked what's underneath with a varnish, you'll remove only what's over it.

Speaking of satin varnish, I never hear about it for miniature use and I'm curious what it ends up actually looking like - mostly I'm wondering if it might not be a good compromise for mostly metallic paintjobs where gloss just makes it look wet and matte completely kills the metallic qualities. Seems like it might have some interesting uses for spot brush-on varnishing too, like adding extra visual texture to a piece of cloth that is meant to be velvet / silk, etc.

Mirthless posted:

Yeah there's all sorts of weird stuff like this - for $50 on their webstore you can either buy a box of 10 Squig Hoppers or a Warcry band that is a box of 10 Squig Hoppers + 3 Sneaky Snufflers. Just straight up either free minis or $20 off buying the two units separately. The trick is that you have to dig for them since the Warcry unit doesn't show up if you just search "Squig Hoppers." Warcry and Underworlds in general seem to have a lot of stuff that is just literally a cheaper version of regular AoS products, often with extras included.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 28, 2020

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Huh, I need to try that pink+ink suggestion. Painted up a couple of ebay rescue orks as a tester the other week and, even though it was only for their armour panels and minor details, brushing on orange suuuucks. I'd only really airbrushed orange in the past so hadn't realised how poor the coverage is when doing things by hand.

Still need to figure out what to do basing-wise and scuff them up a bit more, but I do quite like the Tic-Tac ork scheme:

I really want to play a custom clan just so I can easily mess about with the various faction rules - and orange seems like it's rarely-used, in favour of purple (probably because of the Tic-Tac thing...)

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

It is weird. Orange seems like it should be a perfectly orky color.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
IDK why but green and orange remind me a lot of halloween.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Mirthless posted:

More likely it's to stop other armies' players demanding a price reduction because that's what the miniatures "really" cost.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Mirthless posted:

I don't know what that means.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ineptitude posted:

Necron warriors sell for about $50/box give or take five bucks depending on what the supply and demand looks like in the moment

The 40k Recruit Box has the entire Necron Warrior box in it, plus five assault intercessors, a royal warden and a primaris lieutenant, and has the same MSRP, but is generally cheaper online because it has higher availability

GW didn't make a mistake on pricing here, this was deliberate, and there's no reason to believe they're going to discontinue the recruit box; they are literallly taking advantage of the fact that people who want a specific unit will just search for a box of that unit, buy it, and not think too hard about what the best deal actually is. Good deal bundle boxes and packages that are clearly a superior offering for whatever reason are there for the consumers who are willing to do research because some consumers won't buy into the game unless those kinds of deals are available in the first place.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ineptitude posted:

Necron Warriors box: $45 USD. Contents: 10 Necron Warriors, 3 Scarab Swarms
Warhammer 40k Recruit Edition box: $50 USD. Contents: 1 Necron Royal Warden, 10 Necron Warriors, 3 Scarab Swarms, 1 Primaris Lieutenant (w/Storm Shield and Neo-Volkite Pistol), 5 Assault Intercessors (monopose), Space Marines transfer sheet, double-sided paper play mat, Recruit Manual rulebook, dice, range rulers, interior cardboard tray designed to be flipped over to turn it into a little building

It's not actually lower priced -- it's a whole five bucks more! -- but yeesh.

EDIT: I think it is safe to assert they will eventually discontinue the Recruit Box -- when they launch 10th Edition. And then there will be a similar situation, except it'll be five new Space Marine troops guys and ten, I dunno, World Eaters? Tyranid gaunts? Whatever enemy faction they pick to refresh for the 10th edition launch five years from now or whatever.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
God forbid they sell a discounted starter box. Those bastards.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Looks similar to the AoS Start Collecting boxes but with an even lower gap.

The Start Collecting! Ironjawz is $90 but a single unit of Gore-Gruntas is $79. Ugh.

I'm probably better off buying the Start Collecting and resell the rest. The Warchanter alone can go for $15.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mirthless posted:

Necron warriors sell for about $50/box give or take five bucks depending on what the supply and demand looks like in the moment

The 40k Recruit Box has the entire Necron Warrior box in it, plus five assault intercessors, a royal warden and a primaris lieutenant, and has the same MSRP, but is generally cheaper online because it has higher availability

GW didn't make a mistake on pricing here, this was deliberate, and there's no reason to believe they're going to discontinue the recruit box; they are literallly taking advantage of the fact that people who want a specific unit will just search for a box of that unit, buy it, and not think too hard about what the best deal actually is. Good deal bundle boxes and packages that are clearly a superior offering for whatever reason are there for the consumers who are willing to do research because some consumers won't buy into the game unless those kinds of deals are available in the first place.

lol, this is entirely because warehousing stock is a significant chunk of operating expenses so by offering 9th Edition Starter Packs at significant discount it keeps inventory moving briskly so they don't get hosed over when 10th Edition hits and they've got shelves stacked with starter kits still

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Gotcha!

Kinda odd but im not going to complain. I really like the aesthetic of the Imperial Knights so getting the whole array of weapons in 1 box and getting to play around with a bunch of different loadouts, and getting a whole bag of kitbashing bits to boot is a good deal.

Kitbashing is actually my favorite part of this hobby so far. Painting isn't bad, i get results that look like the youtube tutorials when i follow the tutorials but as soon as i try to do something on my own i am like a fish out of the water.
Assembling is heckin fun but i have a rule this time around that i don't get to buy more stuff to assemble before the previous stuff is painted.

I bought the recentmost box of generic spacemarines and for one of them i kitbashed another bolt rifle, he ended up looking really cool. The hand that comes with all the bolters are the right hand but i took the left hand from one of the extra magazine accessories, filed off the hand on the bolter and put the left-hand-holding-a-magazine in its place. Not the most advanced bashing but im kinda proud of it, being my first kitbash and all.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ineptitude posted:

Incidentally, the actual answer to this question is that Canis Rex costs less than Knight Valiants and Knight Castellans because you can't build Valiants or Castellans with the Canis Rex box; that box builds the Canix Rex named character knight or a Knight Preceptor, a Knight Paladin, a Knight Errants, a Knight Warden, or a Knight Crusader. Collectively, these are all the Questoris-class Knights. If I recall correctly, when Canis Rex was announced, Questoris-class and Armiger-class knights were the only knights available for Imperial Knight armies, with the Armigers very recently having been added in Forgebane, so at that time GW advertised Canis Rex as being able to build all the Questoris variants, which people remembered as "It can build all the Knights (except for the Armigers which don't count for the purposes of this statement because they're obviously a different thing, so I don't need to remember that)." But then between previewing and actually selling the Canis Rex box, GW also previewed and then started selling the new Dominus-class knights, the Valiant and the Castellan, which Canix Rex can't build because it's a different body frame. (Canis Rex went to sale weirdly late compared to when it was previewed; there was like a six month gap. Previewed in summer, but didn't come out until I think Christmas, while the Dominus variants were previewed just a bit later but went up for sale in I think fall.)

And, indeed, if you check the GW online store, you'll see separate entries for Canis Rex, the Knight Warden, the Knight Crusader, and the Knight Gallant, all with the exact same price, because if you buy any of the latter three you're just going to get the former. It's easier for stock purposes for GW to just only have one box. Kinda like how there's store entries for both Space Marine Infiltrators and Space Marine Incursors even though they're the same product.

(The Castellan and Valiant kits can't build each other, by the way -- those kits have three sprues each, two of which they share in common and which are also, hilariously, the same sprue doubled, and one unique sprue per kit that has that specific variant's weapon options.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 28, 2020

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Squiggly Beast posted:

Huh, I need to try that pink+ink suggestion. Painted up a couple of ebay rescue orks as a tester the other week and, even though it was only for their armour panels and minor details, brushing on orange suuuucks. I'd only really airbrushed orange in the past so hadn't realised how poor the coverage is when doing things by hand.

Still need to figure out what to do basing-wise and scuff them up a bit more, but I do quite like the Tic-Tac ork scheme:

I really want to play a custom clan just so I can easily mess about with the various faction rules - and orange seems like it's rarely-used, in favour of purple (probably because of the Tic-Tac thing...)

Your orks do great. Was the pants and skin done with an airbrush?

nostrata posted:

It is weird. Orange seems like it should be a perfectly orky color.

Orange and green always reminds me of Teenage mutant ninja turtles. Your orks look very orky!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another Iron Star Alliance model down.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Skails posted:

Hey, finished up some death stuff over the last month or so:

Armored Skeletons/Grave Guard

What models are these fellas? They kick rear end (mostly thanks to your paint job)

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

yum posted:

Your orks do great. Was the pants and skin done with an airbrush?

Yep - I just copied the process from elsewhere. This dude's videos are fantastic for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBj1W0YnI37E6cJJzHLs76g/videos

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Nolzur's young gold dragon with some young goldfish:

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Not a paint job yet but I thought this thread may enjoy it.

Scratch built Thunderhawk project. I finished the paper prototype today.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Dienes posted:

Nolzur's young gold dragon with some young goldfish:

I love this. I really want more pictures with the resin pour fishies

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I said come in! posted:

Another Iron Star Alliance model down.

These dudes are looking dope.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Squiggly Beast posted:

Yep - I just copied the process from elsewhere. This dude's videos are fantastic for example: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBj1W0YnI37E6cJJzHLs76g/videos

These vids are great, thanks for the reference. I guess that's an excuse to finally try my airbrush

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

protomexican posted:

How do I paint a good orange? I'm trying to paint up the ork Start Collecting box with construction orange shirts and armor, and the issues I'm coming up with are:

-the orange paints I've tried are all pretty transparent, so the undercoat has to be light, and I need 2-3 coats to get good coverage, and
-the base color is pretty bright, so shading and highlighting are tricky

Vallejo model colour light orange is 100% opaque, and easily the best orange I've used. It is bright as you mention, so I mixed with red as a base coat.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

What models are these fellas? They kick rear end (mostly thanks to your paint job)

Old GW metal skeletons!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok squad done. That was pretty fun, I really like painting these guys.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Knight stuff

Aye, i caught that Valiant/Castellan was a separate class, but couldn't quite decipher why the Canis let you build all the other in its class.
Looking at the GW page, Canis,Crusader, Gallant and Warden all have 250 pieces in the box. Do they ALL let you build all the other variants? What about the pilot that comes with Canis, do they all contain that as well? If not, which pieces do the Canis miss out on?. At an initial glance the Canis seemed the better deal but if the Canis comes with a pilot i have no interest in but i miss out on mechanical components instead then i might swap to one of those instead.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

Aye, i caught that Valiant/Castellan was a separate class, but couldn't quite decipher why the Canis let you build all the other in its class.
Looking at the GW page, Canis,Crusader, Gallant and Warden all have 250 pieces in the box. Do they ALL let you build all the other variants? What about the pilot that comes with Canis, do they all contain that as well? If not, which pieces do the Canis miss out on?. At an initial glance the Canis seemed the better deal but if the Canis comes with a pilot i have no interest in but i miss out on mechanical components instead then i might swap to one of those instead.

They are all the exact same box. The only reason they're separated on the website is so people can search more easily.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

Vallejo model colour light orange is 100% opaque, and easily the best orange I've used. It is bright as you mention, so I mixed with red as a base coat.

I'll look for this on my next trip to the FLGS, thanks. And thanks everybody for the good advice. I might splurge on that Liquitex multi-ink set.

My inspiration for the orange orks was a tree service company in the New Orleans area with a very orky aesthetic. They're called Yeah Trees.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

protomexican posted:

I'll look for this on my next trip to the FLGS, thanks. And thanks everybody for the good advice. I might splurge on that Liquitex multi-ink set.

My inspiration for the orange orks was a tree service company in the New Orleans area with a very orky aesthetic. They're called Yeah Trees.

Those guys rule. I love how they last minute added in the area code on the boom arm. That's a pretty drat orky cherry picker.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ineptitude posted:

Booley posted:

They are all the exact same box. The only reason they're separated on the website is so people can search more easily.

Indeed. And if you click on the Warden or Crusader store entries and scroll all the way back to the end of the image gallery, you'll see a picture of the box they come in... and it's a picture of the Canis Rex box. And, confusingly, if you click on the Gallant store entry and scroll to the end of the image gallery, you'll see, first, an image of the Warden box, and second an image of the Canis Rex box.

Questoris Knights have a weird retail history. GW originally put them out in an Imperial Knight box with just three sprues, and they only had weapon options for a chainsword, battlecannon, and thermal cannon. This became the best-selling kit GW ever made. (Uh. For a time. Maybe something else has surpassed it? I haven't kept up.) GW then released a new, slightly higher-priced kit, the Imperial Knight Warden, which was just the original box with a new sprue added that included the gatling cannon, gauntlet, carapace weapons (the big gun or missile launcher on top), and a bunch of new customization options (new faceplates and tilting shield and a bunch of little cogs for if you want to make a Mechanicus-aligned Knight). For a short time both boxes were available for purchase with the Warden box being a bit more expensive, and then for an even shorter time the two boxes had separate GW online store entries and the old kit even had a lower price but if you bought it GW would ship you the new box. Eventually that got corrected and their prices were set to be the same, and there were still separate store entries but no matter which you purchased, you'd just get the Knight Warden box.

Then, like... two years ago? GW announced yet another Questoris variant, the Canis Rex box, which was just the Knight Warden box with another new sprue added, which contained the las-impulsor weapon and all the cockpit bits (and another new faceplate and hanging chad flag). And they added an online store entry for Canis Rex, discontinued the Knight Warden box without the new Canis Rex sprue, and increased the prices of all the Imperial Knight store entries so they match the Canis Rex's price.

Basically every few years they kept adding a new sprue, discontinuing the old box that didn't have it, and increasing the price to account for it having more stuff. And all the old store entries are there but no matter which one you purchase GW will ship you the latest version with all the sprues in it. And I guess this makes sense to GW for search engine optimization purposes, and it makes sense to people who saw the whole thing unfold step by step, but is indeed hella-confusing to people just trying to figure out which entry to purchase, especially if they spend any time trying to figure out whether it means anything that the Gallant entry has two different box art images or why the Canis Rex and Warden store entries have pictures of all five sprues while the Crusader and Gallant entries only have pictures of two of them (it doesn't, it's just detritus from the store entries getting revised over and over).

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 29, 2020

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Goff Burna Bommer done.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a light box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
A question on sealing miniatures. I have always used the short spray can of Testors Dullcote on my figures and it has always been fine. The other day I sprayed some figures and they wound up shiny. I double checked and yes, it was dullcote and not a gloss spray. I sprayed them in the same basement room I have always sprayed in, never a problem until today.

Is there any way to take the shine off the figures?