Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If it's any comfort, I had twilight anesthesia for my wisdom-teeth extraction and remember none of it. "They're running an IV; I thought they were knocking me out?! oh no" to done.

Good luck and safe recovery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

binged all of this in like 2 days and now i kinda feel like all my neurons are mutating too haha

so yeah incredibly good writing all around, and i wish the author a smooth procedure and swift recovery.

also this might just be wishful thinking but i really want to believe that this is going to be a story about an impossible victory in the face of overwhelming odds and a confusing and terrifying world. i want to have everything be ok. thats the kind of story i want to see. ive kind of had enough of tyrants in this the year of our lord 2020 tbh

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Sitting here thinking about referring to a chicken as a "chibby baby" and how that is probably the most correct way to refer to a pet chicken.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
All the luck in the world to you, August. Having my wisdom teeth pulled was a pretty lovely experience, not so much because of the process (gotta love drugs!), but because of the recovery period after (not enough drugs!)

Moral of the story: get drugs.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I had the wisdom teeth on my right side pulled as a teen, literally begged my doctors to just pull em all while they were at it because while the left ones weren’t compacted (yet) they’d probably need to be pulled eventually, and then oops I had to get the left ones pulled at 27.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just read this all over the last two days and it's been a fantastic ride - super excited to follow along from here, and fantastic work so far!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

thank you everyone, I am home and healing with a very successful procedure and will be back in the saddle soon

Razakai posted:

idk, 6 different kinds of medications seems like it'd be perfect for an update from Dancer's perspective

the development team regrets to inform you that, using this drug cocktail, such an update would be two sentences of Burner sitting bored next to a campfire while she pokes Dancer with a stick, who now has a reaction time delay of 20 seconds and falls asleep halfway through sentences

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Black August posted:

thank you everyone, I am home and healing with a very successful procedure and will be back in the saddle soon

the development team regrets to inform you that, using this drug cocktail, such an update would be two sentences of Burner sitting bored next to a campfire while she pokes Dancer with a stick, who now has a reaction time delay of 20 seconds and falls asleep halfway through sentences

lol - well glad it went well and hope you're feeling 100 percent better soon!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I got lucky when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and didn't need the painkillers they prescribed. Then again, I had just finished working 20 days in a row before that, with a 16-hour shift that ended literally a few hours before the operation was scheduled for, so maybe that was just the universe throwing me a bone. I'm pretty sure I was asleep before they had even put the gas mask over my face, and I just spent the rest of the day alternating between sleeping on a laz-e-boy chair at my parents and being woken up every hour to change out the swabs.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Black August posted:

It's at times like this I wish I could draw. :allears:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
from what i've heard, demanding four teeth before the game will continue counts as getting off easy here

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Randalor posted:

I got lucky when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and didn't need the painkillers they prescribed. Then again, I had just finished working 20 days in a row before that, with a 16-hour shift that ended literally a few hours before the operation was scheduled for, so maybe that was just the universe throwing me a bone. I'm pretty sure I was asleep before they had even put the gas mask over my face, and I just spent the rest of the day alternating between sleeping on a laz-e-boy chair at my parents and being woken up every hour to change out the swabs.

Hey americans in the thread

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

placid saviour posted:

Hey americans in the thread

I'm Canadian, I was a site supervisor at a security company on a site that had one guard per shift. One guard had to take a leave of absence because of family issues, and another was just flaky as all hell. The company was dragging their feet on actually giving me people to train to fill those positions. Considering the changes that had been happening in the upper management and how the new management both had previous ties to another security company (that later on bought out an entire division of the company) and was actively hostile to both myself and the contact for the site, I'm 99% certain they were just trying to lose the contract though.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
drat, that's super rough. I hope you're at a friendlier place right now!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Posting to say the surgery healing is going well, and as soon as I stop falling asleep 7 times a day from meds and needing to heal, I'll have an update finished.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

placid saviour posted:

drat, that's super rough. I hope you're at a friendlier place right now!

Oh yeah, the last person in upper management that was actually willing to communicate with the client (and who straight up came to the site one day to apologize to me for how the company had been treating me when the new management came in) jumped ship to another security company and that company got the new contract when it was time to renew (turns out that if you can't get ahold of anyone at the security company to talk about renewing the contract, it's really hard to actually renew the contract). I switched companies and now have a firm "no supervisor positions" stance. I've since switched companies again but would gladly apply to the second company again in the future (site that before COVID-19 I worked full-time M-F 9-5 with no shifts before or after that need coverage changed security companies and I went with the contract).

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Does this count as "fanart"...?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I ended up being allergic to the pills they gave me to help reduce the swelling. Took us a while to figure that out, because it was a cycle of "Hmm, the swelling is getting worse, better take one of those pills..."

Glad you're recovering smoothly, Black August!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

wha? oh!

You shake your head after wandering in thought for far too long, and decide that you don't want to go boating again so soon. East is where you explored first, and it's easier to traverse and escape from than a lake. You pack food, clean your shoes, straighten your tie, and buckle your sword. After one last check on everything you take off, cutting over to follow the river east. It remains sullen grassland along the edge of the dullchill waters, wet and cold around the ankles as you disturb the occasional thrush of birds. You thank Red for the hundredth time for her cloak, its hood and heat giving you a sense of security that allows you to take your time in travel.

An hour passes without event, your heart lulled to quiet as you listen to the river flow past. As you approach the fork north of the Flowering Forest, the midday gloom parts to reveal a towering structure that prickles your neck. It was an immensity of wooden scaffolding bound together with metal and rope, creaking whenever the wind runs through it. It connected all three points of land, the center suspended high above the river's center.

You walk towards it slowly, eyes racing across the wooden networks, straining to see any signs of movement among the visual noise. You come out of the thickets to the open field under it, and race quickly to hide under the base of the west tower. The already-absent Sun is diluted further under the wood mass, leaving you comfortable in deep shadow. Resting there, you gently probe your mutant neurons, listening to them flare from blue to silver while the mushrooms blossom in sympathetic response. Good. You could open your third eye if you had to.

There also was that weight inside- that gravity black sitting in repose. You only glance at it before looking away, allowing no acknowledgement to come or go. One small snack later, you stand back up, and begin to ascend the slanted side of the wood network. Not even a minute after you begin though, you spot something unusual in the center of the river, flashing off a stray beam of pale light. A long thin wire dangled from the center-bottom of the scaffolding; attached to it was a single coin, glinting with color. If not for the light catching it, you wouldn't have noticed at all.

You keep climbing up until you get to the first stable standing space, where the wood starts to spider out in crazed patterns for traversal across the raging waters below. You fight vertigo and focus, nails digging into the wetsoft wooden beam beside you. No sign of anyone... but it was a big structure with a lot of scaffolding obstructing your view. From here, you can work your way across to the northeast end. But maybe a detour was in order.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
The river fork is bridged by a massive haphazard network of scaffolding. It looks like something tiny and shiny is dangling just above the water by a string suspended from the center-under of the structure.

What's the call?

(Voting will end sometime tomorrow afternoon. Still not quite 100% but would like to make progress.)

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

voting climb to the top - that way we can see what's dangling the thing and probably pull it up easier if it's not a trap (lol) plus can get a good view of the surrounding area if nothing else

e: also wb OP!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I should be more clear than my addled brain can write- this is what you're looking at.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

ah okay - hmm looks like maybe a measuring device for something? either way still voting to climb to the top of that bad boy and check out the view

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah let's get up top before we start actively loving with stuff.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
i voted to climb, but i wonder if we couldn't trigger the trap remotely via the tyrant if need be

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Just caught up on this OP, this poo poo is crazy good.

My wisdom tooth story is I never had 12-year old molars, so my wisdom teeth just grew in as my back molars. :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - New Structure Wat Do

Continue crossing to the northeast. - 0
Work your way to the center to investigate the dangly. - 9
Try climbing to the very top for a better view. - 23

...LOADING

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh hey, that spell would kick rear end for us if we could find it, our super-maxed out WL would mean it'd demolish fools. Maybe one day.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Only if we shout out about "UNLIMITED POWER" while using it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your eyes draw upward, shadows criss-crossed over your visage. There was enough wood to make a climb to the very top, which would give you a good view of the area, and the security of higher ground. But it was so rickety and creaky, you don't know if...

[LIONHEART]

No, no you're not scared. You climbed sheer rock, you can climb this just fine. You begin your ascent, keeping inside the structure while slowly working your way up. A half hour later you've reached the peak, clutching on tight to the enormous wood beams as you swing up to perch atop the tower.

The wind picks up with a light rain passing through.

It wasn't the immensity of view that the mountain climb had been, but it was a lot clearer what lied to the east at this elevation. You take in the view under the rainwind, resting against a sturdy wood nook.

East. There was that red bloody froth again. It was much clearer to see from here; a swamp resting into the nest made by the mountain, wetlands alive with unclean color. Its gravity pulled you again, your eyes drawing to how it fed into the river. There... was... the occasional little discolored spot of purple in the river's flow beneath you. Now that you've acknowledged it, it wasn't going to avoid your thoughts.

ANXIETY: [ X ][20%]

You look away and to the iron sky, skirting around the unease. Your mind unfolds again, neurons clamoring for your third eye to open to the sky, the height aiding their constant search for psychic sound. You take a deep breath, and allow your hearing to reflect off the infinite of inner silver.

You startle and hold down a titter of surprise, clinging to a wooden beam; your mind expands with unexpected strength of silvance, the inside of your skull warming with a surge of electric action. You lie your face against the damp wood, hugging tight as you close your eyes and open the third to the reflection infinite.

The Silver Mind posted:

[Your brain was the Holy Valley, spread and draped in silver curtains, capturing the radio waves expelled in patterns across the sky, each broadcasted from inside someone's skull.]

...*loud continuous unbroken meow*...

...hope they're ok. I have such a bad feeling about this. Oh Mary, why did I put us into so much risk just to...

...[Heavy Monstrous Breathing]...

...my Emperor Divine, I pray this day to you and mine, for your deliverance from the humiliation of your slavers who...

...UCH COIN®©™, you can buy what no other tender can afford! Our kiosks accept blood donations, valuable minerals, anomalous objects in need of containm...

-a strange thought wiggles with rainbow through your brain mushrooms, having been caught by them and relayed to the silver neurons-

Mushroom Brains! posted:

[MUSHROOM TALK TO MUSHROOM HI HI]

HI HI YES HI HI IS PLU-TO PLU-TO HI HI WEL-COME HI HI
CRUSH?
CRUSH!!

You drift in silver static for a moment, trying to understand what the hell you just picked up. Why are you thinking about orange crabs? But the rainbow gloss sound fades back to the north end of the valley, vanishing into the fungus as the Silver Mind grasps one last signal, pulling your third eye upward.

The Silver Mind posted:

The Kni-

Well, ok. He wasn't The Knight. He was just The Squire. Home was full of Knights, but this young man had not yet, despite many lifetimes, managed to earn his nobility. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Though it had been smoothed softer by his torments, he was still arrogant, bitter, prideful - afraid. You could hear the bells ringing every time he scowled or insulted. Like he was doing right now.

"...you really are a peasant, aren't you?"

He was staring at the scripture you and Aitvaras had written together, after your little lakeside makeup dinner. You were beaming with pride past his disdain, with the proof there and clear- the signatures of the entire Council, giving the document a genuine blessing from authorities divine, royal, and more. Not to mention THE Holiest Knight In The World. You know he noticed, because he was grinding his perfect teeth. Aitvaras wasn't saying anything as he cooked omelets, but you could see how he sashayed and hid his smug look.

No lie- it did feel a little good to rub your peasantry in his noble face. But you genuinely meant it when you told him you wanted him to become the first student. You had something you made with Aitvaras that you believed in and you wanted to share it, beloved with clumsy as it was. A philosophy, a hope, a promise.

You were smiling again. It made your cheeks hurt and you loved that. It felt so good so smile sincerely, and the Squire could see it. The bells behind his eyes- they ring louder for a second, and then go lovely still as his mind makes itself up.

He put the charter down and sipped his coffee with a resignation that accepted how low it was ready to go.

"Fine. I accept. Now, I'm going to have SAY-"

You nod, biting your lip to stop the smile. Yes yes.

"I'll acknowledge your authority but you WILL take advice-"

The smile breaks past your bitten lip. Yes! You will! So, will you?

He hesitates. He almost stands up to walk out. But he relents, and sinks to one knee.

"...then I pledge my fealty. To the Holy Chicken Knights."

A hyena's cry tears you from the sky, back down into your skull to grip for dear life onto the wooden beam.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

The hell?! Something is going on down below. You shake the silver static out of your brain, and look through the beams. Two figures were ascending through the tower with worrying skill and speed. You wonder why your psychic senses didn't pick this up, until the Silver Mind reaches down and quickly recoils from the reason why - Holy Iron sings from one, while it retreats to hide from the attentions of the other. Carnelian flares up to lance out in search of what it thought it saw - with a mental hand clamped over your third eye, you try to hide.

(SILENCE THE SILVER MIND!!) 9 - [5]+[2]+[2] = 9 - JUST Made It...

The silver dims a neuron-flash before the carnelian pierces through black, finding nothing as it weaves back to its war against the Holy Iron.

You know these coloursounds. Merkja and Deimos are at war below, and the Saint was on the retreat. You can make out her brightness, as she finishes her climb and begins a heavy tearthrough of the structure's heart. Deimos moves not far behind her with faeric grace, soaked in sweat and without his hat. Neither spoke, save for one taunt he screams - "YOU'RE GETTIN' REAL OLD, BITCH!"

The flare of carnelian in his voice tells you that this was something he's been reminding her of a lot, and is his repeated mantra to assure himself this isn't a suicide mission. You cling to your hidden spot with animal attention, but dread reintroduces itself when the two of them stop to catch their breath at the tower's heart. They circle each other across the wooden platforms. Merkja's prior catch of your scent and Deimos' overactive psychic thoughts means you were going to be noticed sooner rather than later. They're in a lull, and you managed to hide your thoughts quickly enough to have the stealth advantage. You have to make a decision, fast. You hope your clearer thoughts won't let you down.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE - Gotta Act!
Merkja and Deimos are at a standoff, and you're stuck up top. You hid your thoughts fast enough that you can try to be sneaky, but the second you use any psionics or obvious power you'll be noticed.

What seems smart?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I have no love for McD, especially if you know how they operat in the SCP universe where the namesake originates from. Also capitalism sucks. Let's help the holy underdog.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

We weren't exactly on speaking terms with Deimos anyways, so Merkja it is.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I want to side with Merkja just to spite Deimos, but at the same time, bringing the tower down on both of themis so, SO tempting. Just a shame that we happen to be AT THE TOP OF IT and that would mean either dropping into a river full of probably very pointy debris, or landing on top of a pile of sharp, pointy debris, and probably having at least one much more powerful entity very sore and very angry at us. So I voted to turn the tide for Merkja. She at least has some respect for us from the first encounter (or at least respected what we did), whereas Deimos... was Deimos and gently caress the Fey.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Merkja seems like the type to remember favours and hold grudges, and we have a feeling from our glitch-memories that she’s a good person somewhere deep down. Deimos already thinks we’re a complete loving psycho, is several fries short of an MC&D-Brand Ecstatic Combo Meal himself, is working against the cults we’re trying to ally with, and likes to hang out at the MC&D store we rely on. This is an easy choice - we help out Merkja and try to get on her good side while hopefully removing a threat.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
fey in a suit: can go establish a trademark claim in the woods the wise speak little of

hyena ken-oh: can tank one of those huge moloch things

i know whose friend i want to be

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

*PULLS GUN* You smell a three-way stand off!! - 2
Try to sneak away unnoticed while you can. - 3
Try to turn the tide for Deimos. - 0
Try to turn the tide for Merkja. - 13
[Murderous Intent] Destroy the tower and take them both down. - 4

Deimos... you really dislike thinking about your first encounter with him, and wish it had been the last. Maybe if you risk helping Merkja, you can keep the message of that encounter going with him. It makes sense. It could work in your favor. You could kill them both, but it wouldn't be a guarantee, and it'd put you at too much immediate risk. Getting past the both of them would be difficult and risk-prone over them knowing the score while still in a lull.

But how to help?

Deimos was a powerful psychic. Enough to be causing Merkja a problem. The Silver Mind felt brighter than ever, but you knew you weren't at a level of power capable of reliably assaulting his Carnelian Chance. Neither did you have magic that could challenge him without expending a great deal of your vitae. No promise anything you did would actually help, either. There was always the... other option, as well.

You can work down to them quickly, but you'd have to act before you could get within melee range. Sword and gun dangle at your side, as silver and sable rest behind you in wait of your thoughts. You're hot and itchy with the anticipation of noise and violence.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%]

How do you attack the wound-up Agent of MC&D?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
we all different masks in life, and contain multitudes never seen by most who know us. unlike deimos here who will always know us as a crazy terrifying madman

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Remember, we have a healing spell now - one that runs off IQ, no less! So I'm actually OK with spending a lot of our HP here. It's not great, but it's better than relying on the tyrant to solve our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He's almost certainly gonna be rolling with a penalty against Tyrant-based psychological attacks, so let's use it to our advantage.