Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AdmiralViscen posted:

What does he say in the broadcasts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShoDj5DpLI

He's doing the usual politician speech of "I fully support this person or cause (in public) while throwing them under the bus."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

I have to confess, I never much cared for Ahsoka. I got through the first four seasons of Clone Wars and found her to be the worst. I watched three seasons of Rebels and she was a lot more tolerable. It's been yeras now and after watching her in Mandalorian I thought maybe I was too harsh. I am rewatching the Clone Wars (skipping the movie) and holy poo poo no she is really the worst I can't imagine suffering through multiple seasons of this poo poo to get to where she ends up it's not worth it.

Others have said that she’s a kid who grows up over the course of the two shows. Also they didn’t know how serious to make they show until the later seasons.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AdmiralViscen posted:

What does he say in the broadcasts?

quote:

I have no doubt the Jedi are doing their very best to ensure the safety of every citizen in the Republic.

The accusations that the Jedi created the Clone War to give themselves more power over the government is absurd.

I think there are a few more too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Season 1 is just eh (and is only slightly above the level of what Resistance always is). Its basically Space Aladdin and friends. By Season 3, its really good, you just have to get past the establishment and get to where the connective tissue really starts coming together.

I've seen some suggested for Clone Wars but is there a watch/skip list for Rebels?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
Lmfao the martez sisters arc was beyond terrible and that's not even due to my crippling sexism and misogyny but just honest to goodness terrible dreck lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
To think they were going to make a whole season about that poo poo LOL

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not that different except that nu Thrawn is implied to have some pretty bad repressed anger issues. Theyre both confident in their abilities to the point of arrogance and they both have ulterior motives for serving the Empire beyond blind loyalty to Sheev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5N1r_dn_s is one of the only times in Rebels we see Thrawn showing genuine rage at somebody. There's a few things going on. First the Kalikori is a unique piece of art. Second, the Empire is and always has been racist as gently caress, so Thrawn had to endure more than of lot of their poo poo on his way to becoming a Grand Admiral. Third, Thrawn clearly respects and admires Hera Syndulla, so that asshat calling the Kalikori - and by extention Hera herself, "Twi'lek trash" was enough to provoke a response from Thrawn that likely left that Imperial with poo poo in his shorts.

Sekhmnet posted:

He seemed more cruel in the Rebels arc; but he's always kind of been space Hannibal Lector but without the cannibalism and into military strategy. Same kind of creepy upper-crust love of art though.

In the "Legends" canon, Thrawn could use examples of a species's artwork to do a kind of psychological profile of them which helped him determine the best strategy to use against them in battle. I don't recall that being as much of thing in Rebels, but Thrawn did collect art from various worlds.

As for being cruel, Thrawn didn't really strike me as being cruel. Harsh, certainly, but not cruel. In one of the Rebels episodes, Thrawn figures out that engines for speeder bikes are being sabotaged in such a way that after it hits higher speeds it explodes, killing the driver. So, after hearing a worker assure a supervisor that an engine is safe, Thrawn forcing the guy to get on it and revs the (stationary) engine to a high speed/power - at which point it explodes. It's a pretty dark moment.

However, Thrawn didn't have the guy's village burned or have his family executed while he watched. He made an example of and punished the person who was guilty of the sabotage by killing him the same way that unsuspecting Imperial soldier would have died.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like Thrawn's art aficionado tendencies make him more of a colonialist kind of rear end in a top hat, got no problem with wiping out a culture so long as he has some of its nice art in his personal display room.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kanine posted:

most of the normies i know and talked to after rogue one came out literally didnt realize that tarkin wasnt real until i pointed it out.

Did they think Peter Cushing was still working at 102 years young.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like Thrawn's art aficionado tendencies make him more of a colonialist kind of rear end in a top hat, got no problem with wiping out a culture so long as he has some of its nice art in his personal display room.

Hi welcome to the Chiss Ascendancy, one of the big colonial expansionist powers in the Unknown Regions.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Substitute conquering/subjugating for "wiping out" and I think that fits him pretty well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Most people don't really think about actors, especially someone who played a relatively minor part in an old movie most of them have likely seen only once or twice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Everyone posted:

Substitute conquering/subjugating for "wiping out" and I think that fits him pretty well.

And his tacit endorsement of the Empire's gassing campaign to keep the Noghri compliant. Vader promised to cure their world of an environmental disaster in exchange for service to the Empire and then secretly kept poisoning the planet to extend their term of service. Thrawn knew about this and did nothing to stop it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maybe they thought Tarkin was real but played by a different actor. Or that he was real but done with old-age makeup in the originals and was actually old now (like with the Emperor).

Or they didn't think about it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Everyone posted:

As for being cruel, Thrawn didn't really strike me as being cruel. Harsh, certainly, but not cruel. In one of the Rebels episodes, Thrawn figures out that engines for speeder bikes are being sabotaged in such a way that after it hits higher speeds it explodes, killing the driver. So, after hearing a worker assure a supervisor that an engine is safe, Thrawn forcing the guy to get on it and revs the (stationary) engine to a high speed/power - at which point it explodes. It's a pretty dark moment.

However, Thrawn didn't have the guy's village burned or have his family executed while he watched. He made an example of and punished the person who was guilty of the sabotage by killing him the same way that unsuspecting Imperial soldier would have died.

Callous might be a better word, Thrawn's intro in Rebels has Kallas (heh) mentioning Thrawn's victory that got him promoted to Grand Admiral had more civilian casualties than insurgent.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Its Rinaldo posted:

Callous might be a better word, Thrawn's intro in Rebels has Kallas (heh) mentioning Thrawn's victory that got him promoted to Grand Admiral had more civilian casualties than insurgent.

That does fit him well. I recall one episode of Rebels when Ezra stole one of the TIE Defenders. Thrawn sent something like 2-3 regular TIE Fighters after it expecting the regular TIEs to be destroyed (with their pilots) but wanting to evaluate the Defender's capabilities when it was flown by even a mediocre pilot.

As for Kallas' statement, that's true. Still Thrawn has a better insurgent/civilian casualty ratio than Shreev "Blow up the whole loving planet to get rid of Jimmy Smits" Palpatine. Hell, Thrawn probably has a better insurgent/civilian ratio than the U.S. Military in the War on Terror.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Neo Rasa posted:

I've seen some suggested for Clone Wars but is there a watch/skip list for Rebels?

Not really, mostly because it's not a giant ensemble with various story arcs that can be skipped like Clone Wars had. There might be some inconsequential standalone episodes in Rebels, but it's basically one large arc with a core cast of characters that evolve as the series progresses.

Best I can say is if you like the series right out the gate, then you'll be delighted to know it gets a lot better as it moves into the latter half of season 1 and into season 2.

And if you don't like the series at the beginning, then you'll be relieved to know that it gets a lot better as it moves into the latter half of season 1 and into season 2.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm surprised they went the route of 'I can't train him because he's too attached to you' for Ahsoka rather than the readymade 'I'm literally not a Jedi and I don't subscribe to all their teachings, I think they did a lot of things wrong'

Cool to see her in person, thought Rosario Dawson did a great job

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

I'm surprised they went the route of 'I can't train him because he's too attached to you' for Ahsoka rather than the readymade 'I'm literally not a Jedi and I don't subscribe to all their teachings, I think they did a lot of things wrong'

She could train him even if she wasn’t a Jedi

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Smythe posted:

Lmfao the martez sisters arc was beyond terrible and that's not even due to my crippling sexism and misogyny but just honest to goodness terrible dreck lol

They play the one sister like she could have autism but it's not quite clear if that's actually the case so you are left wondering if you are supposed to feel sympathy for her or just hate her (because all of the drama of that arc is caused by her terrible actions).

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShoDj5DpLI

He's doing the usual politician speech of "I fully support this person or cause (in public) while throwing them under the bus."

That’s pretty cool. I’ve been watching the show the last few months (never saw it before) and that seemed like a fluff episode so I barely paid attention to it. I haven’t been using an episode guide

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Cartoon Man posted:

Others have said that she’s a kid who grows up over the course of the two shows. Also they didn’t know how serious to make they show until the later seasons.

Clone wars and Rebels are still shows for kids. 12-14 year olds, maybe, but still kids.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Glass of Milk posted:

Clone wars and Rebels are still shows for kids. 12-14 year olds, maybe, but still kids.

So, the entire franchise’s target demo since ‘77 then? Let’s not suddenly pretend Star Wars is just for adults.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So, the entire franchise’s target demo since ‘77 then? Let’s not suddenly pretend Star Wars is just for adults.

Exactly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's not like shows whose target demo are kids can't have strong narratives and character arcs either.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mike N Eich posted:

It felt a bit like Ahsoka was having a bit of PTSD in that moment from the memories of Anakin - and what Anakin became. She's taking something of the opposite tact as Obi-wan at the end of The Phantom Menace. Part of it could also be that Ahsoka was rejecting was she perceived as her own temptations to start a training someone who could eventually be the beginning of a new, better Jedi Order and to becoming a Jedi Mom with Din's Mando Dad.

Also, she's got the Thrawn stuff to deal with so her plate isn't exactly empty right now.

teagone posted:

It's not like shows whose target demo are kids can't have strong narratives and character arcs either.

poo poo, just off the top of my head, Steven Universe, Gravity Falls and Ducktales all come to mind.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I guess my only hang up with Rebels at the time is it really came off as low budget compared to Clone Wars.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Koirhor posted:

I guess my only hang up with Rebels at the time is it really came off as low budget compared to Clone Wars.

It's a lot less bombastic and much more understated, plus the new art style really doesn't help.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

teagone posted:

To the point of the discussion, I think they didn't know where to land on those things early on (assuming a younger demographic?), but to me they caught on and got some nice arcs.

And every sci fi show seems to have those goofy "aside" episodes. The drat holodeck episodes in Star Trek leap out at me, but I think every show has them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Glass of Milk posted:

To the point of the discussion, I think they didn't know where to land on those things early on (assuming a younger demographic?), but to me they caught on and got some nice arcs.

And every sci fi show seems to have those goofy "aside" episodes. The drat holodeck episodes in Star Trek leap out at me, but I think every show has them.

Black Market and Boxing Night hell yeah.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Black Market and Boxing Night hell yeah.

How the hell do you run a child trafficking system in a fleet of less than 50k people anyways.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

There's a joke in one of the more recent Doctor Who novels or prose collections that the Doctor was so impressed by the way Peter Cushing played them in those TV movies that as thank you they brought him forward in time to 2015 to he could appear in Rogue One and then whisked him back to the 70s when it was all over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've given the clone wars like three or four tries now because people always insist they're great. I could never manage more than a few episodes. This time, though, I just jumped straight to a random episode in season three, and I gotta say it is better. Ventress getting dumped and plotting revenge felt like a decent EU story. Like if this was the plot to a Lucasarts game, it'd probably be beloved. I am surprised at how okay I was at the batshit direction it was taking (talking about mr torso).

Like it's not all great, and some stuff just sucks, but you could do so much worse if you're looking for a SW fix.

Also the good side guys still kinda annoy me, especially cartoon obi wan, and I don't just mean his looks.

e:oh and the show just looks better in season 3

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 30, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

plus the new art style really doesn't help.

Honestly I prefer Rebel's art style for characters over Clone Wars exaggerated, chiseled/carved look for everyone with the harsh lines.

Clone War's much more painted look to its textures is better though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly I prefer Rebel's art style for characters over Clone Wars exaggerated, chiseled/carved look for everyone with the harsh lines.

Clone War's much more painted look to its textures is better though.

Yeah, they could never settle on something that is just all round good. It's always this weird set of pros and cons that you just have to get used to.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Din and Ahsoka should get together and raise their adopted green child as they adventure through the galaxy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That reminds me, The Mandalorian has a lot of moments where backgrounds sometimes feel wrong/"fake" in a way that my mind goes "that feels like a matte painting" even though its almost certainly not. There is also stuff like IG-11 and some creatures occasionally looking not-quite smooth like they're emulating stop-motion camera work. I can't tell how much of this is intention or just my brain seeing want it wants to see.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That reminds me, The Mandalorian has a lot of moments where backgrounds sometimes feel wrong/"fake" in a way that my mind goes "that feels like a matte painting" even though its almost certainly not.

It’s probably the volume wall. If you really look for it, you can sometimes tell. Usually it’s when the real foreground scenery props end and the background is filled it. It’s generally pretty seamless though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hi welcome to the Chiss Ascendancy, one of the big colonial expansionist powers in the Unknown Regions.

Chiss are weird, they call their navy like the "Chiss Expansionary Defense Force" but then they have strict cultural and legal rules against being the aggressor in conflicts so they'll claim unoccupied/unclaimed systems then basically bait enemies into attacking them.

The old EU had a huge shadow game of this in the Zahn book where they visit the Outbound Flight wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teagone posted:

Children's cartoons are all made by grown up nerds now, every single one's trying to have those things or at least make an effort. See also She-Ra, The Owl House, probably not a coincidence both are also as gay as they think they can get away with.

The Mandalorian's difference from the Clone Wars and Rebels shows is more medium than tone or content.