Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

It's possible to earn 120,000 reward points in a year for free, but it can take some effort...

Our you just set up a script on your PC to 30 bing searches a day and get 100 reward points every day for basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I really hope not, I just bought it a few days ago on the Black Friday sales in the Microsoft Store. I should have known of course, I've developed a habit of buying games that end up on Game Pass within a month.

Trying to resist playing Control, to wait for the next-gen update, but I'm wondering if there's merit in playing it now and then again with the update.

Same. Maybe it won't include the DLC, which if so would still make the $20 worth it-ish.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Tsietisin, from 8 days ago posted:

You know it's weird. There's this big sale on right now but I'm holding off on purchasing things on the chance they may end up in game pass.

That said, is Control any good?

I loving KNEW it!!!!

Edit: I completed the game about 5 minutes ago and I'm itching for more content, so having bought the ultimate edition is fine with me.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I guess that's the thing with Control. Either they put up the original release version that won't get the Series updates, or they put up the Ultimate version which includes the dlc, which they don't usually do.

I'll keep my purchase from this sale for now, haven't downloaded/played it yet we'll probably get clarity on it soon.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Red Warrior posted:

I guess that's the thing with Control. Either they put up the original release version that won't get the Series updates, or they put up the Ultimate version which includes the dlc, which they don't usually do.

I'll keep my purchase from this sale for now, haven't downloaded/played it yet we'll probably get clarity on it soon.

Or maybe they do a new Series SKU for control that doesn’t have the DLC, who knows.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

its on gamepass go play it and then talk about it

But I don't want to because as I outlined in my post, I do not think it looks "great" but I do however enjoy occasionally having a Halo 5 multiplayer Twitch steam on half the screen while I'm doing something else and can appreciate how good the movement system is. It's the same as watching a Titanfall stream of someone who's really good at traversal and sure I could go fire the game up right now but I don't need to to be able to say that Titanfall has sweet movement mechanics when it's so plain to see.

Really, you can tell a lot from just catching a stream, like my comment on Halo 5 not having good map variety and relying too much on forge mode. You don't need to play it to acknowledge that - you can just see for yourself in a stream. I'll happily fire up Halo 4 multiplayer when I have the time to shoot some people, though :twisted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got SotTR for about 50% off a week after it came out on PS4, I think it tanked sales-wise

Wasn't that made by the same devs who made the recent Deus Ex games? I really feel sorry for them because they got screwed by the publisher and had to chop the last Deus Ex game to pieces and never got to finish the story and SotTR looks awesome as well and I want to pick it up sometime but I really hope we get more Deus Ex. They're a talented studio that are criminally underrated, second only to Arkane in my opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider was pretty bad tbh. I loved the reboot though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have never played a Yakuza game but I see there are some on game pass. If you had to choose between Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, which one would you take?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

0 no question.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is Rise the one where she wants to have sex with Jesus Christ?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rise is the snowy second game isn't it? With Shadow being the third and final game made by the Deus Ex guys? They set it in a tropical jungle location?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John F Bennett posted:

I have never played a Yakuza game but I see there are some on game pass. If you had to choose between Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, which one would you take?
0 is the best Yakuza game period, and also a perfect entry point into the series. Kiwami is a new coat of paint on a PS2 game and feels incredibly dated in comparison (but still rules because all Yakuza games are good).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sleng Teng posted:

0 no question.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

0 is the best of the old games, 7 is the best overall

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I tuned into a Cohh stream when he was playing a Yakuza game and it had Takeshi Kitano in it which was awesome :aaa:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's 7!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

teagone posted:

I've only paid ~$4/month for my Game Pass Ultimate subscription. :colbert:

Been getting pretty good mileage out of Game Pass, since it currently has games I've been itching to play that I don't have on Steam. Currently going through Route B in Nier, and plan to play Fallen Order after that before I do the other Nier routes. I've also played a fair bit of Streets of Rage 4 and Tetris Effect. Might start Ori depending on how much I enjoy Fallen Order. I also like doing all the Game Pass quests for Reward Points :)

I got in on that Target game pass deal and they screwed up and sent me 6 3mo codes and I only paid for 3.
Best Black Friday deal I’ve gotten this year 😂

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thanks guys, Yakuza 0 it is then.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The second tombraider game had input lag and it mad the stealth parts unplayable.

how/why games get released with input lag on the scale of TR/Prey/Dishonored 2 is beyond me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Laserface posted:

The second tombraider game had input lag and it mad the stealth parts unplayable.

how/why games get released with input lag on the scale of TR/Prey/Dishonored 2 is beyond me.

Metro Exodus was horrific to play. I couldn't get more than a few hours in.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

Yeah I tried playing RoTR again on PS4 Pro about a week ago and the input lag was atrocious

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

John F Bennett posted:

Thanks guys, Yakuza 0 it is then.

Just remember...no auto saves in the game.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tomb Raider series naming is worse than the xbox naming this generation.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yakuza 7 got a 2GB update. Wonder if it's just bug fixes or something more. I don't suppose there's a way of checking patch notes save for googling the version number and hoping the dev cares to share?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

Yakuza 7 got a 2GB update. Wonder if it's just bug fixes or something more. I don't suppose there's a way of checking patch notes save for googling the version number and hoping the dev cares to share?

It's up to the developer to release notes on whatever platforms they have.

I loaded it up and I noticed that the cursor in battle is now telling me whether an enemy is weak to an attack now. That wasn't working before.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My one gripe about yakuza 7 is that i cant move around to ensure ichi grabs an item for an attack he just kinda wanders around on his own away from the bicycles i want him to go to.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Laserface posted:

Tbf the serious input lag was only a thing on the One S version, which being the original timed exclusive version naturally got a lot of attention. The One X patch fixed it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

My one gripe about yakuza 7 is that i cant move around to ensure ichi grabs an item for an attack he just kinda wanders around on his own away from the bicycles i want him to go to.

I really enjoyed the game, and the battle system adapts to the Yakuza framework better than I expected, but anything involving the positioning of enemies or player characters is bad. I was not surprised when that interview came out saying they made the battle system in the last 11 months of development.

I hope they keep it for 8, though. It shows a lot of promise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zerot posted:

I really enjoyed the game, and the battle system adapts to the Yakuza framework better than I expected, but anything involving the positioning of enemies or player characters is bad. I was not surprised when that interview came out saying they made the battle system in the last 11 months of development.

I hope they keep it for 8, though. It shows a lot of promise.

I loved when an enemy would be behind a corner and i would attack them and nanba would run into the wall for a long time before warping to the enemy eventually

I think they have to keep it for all the ichi games. Also if they stick with the dq theme they can just rip off the plots of dq games with all the sequels.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zat posted:

Tbf the serious input lag was only a thing on the One S version, which being the original timed exclusive version naturally got a lot of attention. The One X patch fixed it.

Speaking of One X patches I saw Tekken 7 on sale and was kinda tempted but it runs 720p even on the One X which is wild. Considering it's sort-of a service game with seasons still ongoing I'm amazed that it hasn't had an Enhanced patch for One X to bring it up to 1080p or something. Apparently it's only using Unreal Engine as well so I'd have thought it would be simple, they've moved on from the custom engine they had before (which weirdly enough when upscaled through emulation looks more detailed which is crazy) but the main guy behind the series (Harada?) says it's a lot of work and they don't know if they can do it which is :bang: If it wasn't Unreal Engine I'd give them benefit of the doubt but yikes. No idea how they managed to get the PC version working and supporting multiple resolutions if this is such a monumentally difficult task for them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They are never going back to patch that, so yeah itll be 720p until next gen when the Xbox Series One 2 can upscale it natively

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It's lame because tekken has a decent player base on xbox and is on gamepass.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FunOne posted:

I still don't understand how you generate enough rewards points to ever pay for a month, much less an ongoing subscription.

I was sitting on ~42k points I made in like 3-4 months? And then stopped doing rewards for about a year up until just a few weeks ago. I've made 15k points in a little less than 3 weeks doing the bing dailies and game pass quests. Bing dailies when you're level 2 always nets 270 points each day (sometimes more depending on any extra quizzes/bonus email points or whatever). Completing various punch cards can net 50 to 1000+ points, depending on the tasks.

You can also get 60 points every day from opening the game pass mobile app (5 points), playing any game pass game (5 points), and earning an achievement in whatever game (50 points). There's also the game pass quest streak bonus thing that maxed out gives a bunch of points (not sure how much). It all adds up, but it's a fair bit tedious. I don't mind it though. 3 months of Xbox Live Gold costs 20k points, and I believe 3 month Gold codes converts to 2 months of GPU. I'll probably average around 20k points a month, maybe more maybe less.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 30, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

I was sitting on ~42k points I made in like 3-4 months? And then stopped doing rewards for about a year up until just a few weeks ago. I've made 15k points in a little less than 3 weeks doing the bing dailies and game pass quests. Bing dailies when you're level 2 always nets 270 points each day (sometimes more depending on any extra quizzes/bonus email points or whatever). Completing various punch cards can net 50 to 1000+ points, depending on the tasks.

You can also get 60 points every day from opening the game pass mobile app (5 points), playing any game pass game (5 points), and earning an achievement in whatever game (50 points). There's also the game pass quest streak bonus thing that maxed out gives a bunch of points (not sure how much). It all adds up, but it's a fair bit tedious. I don't mind it though. 3 months of Xbox Live Gold costs 20k points, and I believe 3 month Gold codes converts to 2 months of GPU. I'll probably average around 20k points a month, maybe more maybe less.

I’ll just pay the 14.99 or whatever.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

teagone posted:

You’re well into hobby territory if you max out the Bing daily tasks and always keep a streak going, and getting an achievement every day also takes some thinking.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’ll just pay the 14.99 or whatever.

A lot of people do! I don't blame them. $14.99 is cheap and convenient for basically Netflix for games. There are ways to get GPU cheaper or for free, but yeah, most people would rather not bother I'm sure.

[edit]

Twerk from Home posted:

You’re well into hobby territory if you max out the Bing daily tasks and always keep a streak going, and getting an achievement every day also takes some thinking.

Daily bing searches are a breeze if you just do images searches. You don't even have to type since bing spits out a bunch of search suggestions for you to just click/tap on based on the first search term you input. I'd say it takes me no more than 5 minutes each day to get the 270 bing points. The 50 point achievement thing isn't something I'm actively always trying to get, personally. I usually just let that one come naturally when I'm playing whatever game I feel like.

[edit 2] I also get the 10 points every day for logging into the game pass app/launching an xCloud game just on my phone (don't have to play it).

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 30, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I was happy to max out my XBL Gold subscription then convert the 3 years into GPU for a dollar.

3 years from now I'll see how I feel about it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Moey posted:

I was happy to max out my XBL Gold subscription then convert the 3 years into GPU for a dollar.

This is the cheapest route, yeah. I already used my $1 upgrade back in 2019 but I didn't know about maxing out an XBL Gold sub back then before converting. When I tried it this year, I had to pay $15 to convert my XBL Gold code, which still isn't too bad!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Moey posted:

3 years from now I'll see how I feel about it.

Microsoft has dozens of first party studios cranking right now.

Right now it’s like when Netflix had tons of blockbuster shows and movies from all creators. In 3 years, game pass will be full of MS first party stuff, like Netflix originals. I hope some of them are good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wait til e3