Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

xtal posted:

Of course. Dunno about theirs but mine goes to nearly 500 degrees on max setting.

Stir fry might be tricky depending on how you make it, since the heat immediately stops if you lift the pan up and cools rapidly as well. So you can't do the lifting saute motion that might be familiar.

I'm not huge on that motion, so probably it's fine. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Induction stoves boil water in like two minutes. I prefer a gas range but they seem plenty powerful.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
But how am I supposed to toast a single marshmallow on fork over an induction stove???

J/K my friends have an induction rangetop and I love cooking on it. Get one.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The fact that it boils water nearly instantly is neat but the fact that those cooktops require specific kinds of pans and require direct contact to work consistently seems like a major downside to the point of not making it worth it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you can’t have gas they seem nice.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Nobody should be doing new natural gas installs, natural gas is a fossil fuel.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sextro posted:

Before I had NG, my furnace was powered by a six-month oil tank contract. Pretty sure burning straight oil is worse than NG.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Sextro posted:

As I said earlier, if power in your area is provided by coal you're almost definitely generating more emissions with an electric range vs. a gas one. If you have emission-free energy this is definitely relevant though. Even with that being said though, your range is only about 4% of the energy consumption in your house, so it wouldn't be the first place I'd start optimizing if I wanted to be as green as possible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Almost anything newly built has a thin magnetic layer on the bottom, even most non sticks, for induction compatability.

That should only be a factor if you're still using old stainless that may not me magnetized or something like a copper set.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If we ever remodel to induction, the only thing I'll miss is our carbon steel wok. I guess that's a reason to get an outdoor wok burner :homebrew:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What? Steel should work fine on an induction hob. The pans themselves don’t need to be magnetic.

I use all our old enamelled cast iron Le Creuset on our induction hob, it works great.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can you use cast iron on induction?

How does an induction stove top react to the shaking motion required for popping corn? Does the burner stay on so long as the pot is just sliding back and forth and doesn't lift up?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
You can absolutely use cast iron and copper on induction hobs. Replacing pans is a non issue really, since almost universally the ones that don’t work on induction are cheap non stick ones you won’t miss anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

What? Steel should work fine on an induction hob. The pans themselves don’t need to be magnetic.

I use all our old enamelled cast iron Le Creuset on our induction hob, it works great.
I was under the impression that woks are bad since their flat bottom is small and the thinness doesn't allow big eddy currents. I could be wrong.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Csst iron will be fine, same with caron steel. I have some pans with, I presume, nickel in them and despite being 18/10 stainless otherwise do not work on induction. Magnets don't stick to them either.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

I was under the impression that woks are bad since their flat bottom is small and the thinness doesn't allow big eddy currents. I could be wrong.
Flat bottom on induction isn't great, but you can get one of these:

...which is probably better (in terms of dumping heat into the food) than any (US residential) gas hob. They also make them for built-in cooktops, although good luck finding one in the US.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sextro posted:

Used my new 48” eight burner range for the first time on Wednesday night. Was glorious.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The hell is a hob god dammit. Just say fire circle like a normal human.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We want to mail out a variety of cookies to friends and family for Christmas but we have to reconcile form and function. I want to avoid the cookies turning into stale cardboard, but my wife wants to also make sure it presents well. This apparently takes the thunder out of using vacuum sealer. My suggestion of drawing a smiley face on the bags to make them "cute" didn't cut it either. We're down to red/green plastic wrap further enclosed in plastic bags. Then we still have to pack them so they can take some blows in shipping because tis' the season to dropkick packages in and out of trucks. For the packaging, I'm just wondering if anybody found anything particularly cool for protecting stuff like that in the past the worked out.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The fact that it boils water nearly instantly is neat but the fact that those cooktops require specific kinds of pans and require direct contact to work consistently seems like a major downside to the point of not making it worth it.

Virtually everything works with induction, I don't own anything that doesn't (glass and aluminum?)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We want to mail out a variety of cookies to friends and family for Christmas but we have to reconcile form and function. I want to avoid the cookies turning into stale cardboard, but my wife wants to also make sure it presents well. This apparently takes the thunder out of using vacuum sealer. My suggestion of drawing a smiley face on the bags to make them "cute" didn't cut it either. We're down to red/green plastic wrap further enclosed in plastic bags. Then we still have to pack them so they can take some blows in shipping because tis' the season to dropkick packages in and out of trucks. For the packaging, I'm just wondering if anybody found anything particularly cool for protecting stuff like that in the past the worked out.
Put them in a cardboard box, decoratively wrap the cardboard box, vac seal the wrapped cardboard box, put vac sealed wrapped cardboard box in mailing envelope/shipping box/whatever.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

How long will you keep your stove, and how long do you think it will be "OK" to be burning any amount of fossil fuels? Deciding to purchase something that you use as long as you use any appliance dependent entirely on a fossil fuel in the year 2020 is, while incredibly normal, is entirely stupid. Especially considering that viable price comparable alternatives exist.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Natural gas is the #1 heat source in the nation. If we're all going to shift away from that in the next 10-15 years, those costs will be so huge that a $1k stove isn't even a noticeable drop in the bucket.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

SubG posted:

Put them in a cardboard box, decoratively wrap the cardboard box, vac seal the wrapped cardboard box, put vac sealed wrapped cardboard box in mailing envelope/shipping box/whatever.

Would the inner-sealed cardboard box have some effect on everything?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Induction is great. I love mine. I’d say the majority of high level restaurants I’ve visited in the past 5 years are now using them too.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has there been an improvement in the load bearing for induction cooktops? The main reason I haven't switched to one is I will do 5-gallon stuff with pressure canning and stock making. I wasn't confident between the pot and the contents that I would stay below the rated weight limit for the cooktop--when they actually even note it.

I did get some portable, commercial induction cooktop in the past two years that had something like an 80 pound weight limit, and that thing rocks hard.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would the inner-sealed cardboard box have some effect on everything?
It wouldn't prevent the vac sealer from evacuating the air (as well as it would have anyway) unless the box is airtight.

And if it is, you don't need the vac sealer.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This is a slightly weird question and I have been forgetting to ask it for months. This happened slightly pre-pandemic. I have a second drip coffee machine on top of my "main" one. Neither is particularly expensive, they are the same model Hamilton Beach. It's useful because I can (or could, pre-covid) have both a pot of decaf and a pot of regular when entertaining. As you can imagine, the second one gets used much less frequently than the first, and not at all since covid.

Anyway, several months back, while I am normally diligent about cleaning the coffeemaker shortly after use, I apparently thought I had cleaned out the pot and filter basket on the secondary coffee maker, but had not. The carafe and filter basket both had mold in them. I washed them out extremely thoroughly -- I think I used the dishwasher on both, don't remember, it's been months -- and I looked up the vinegar cleaning/descaling process and did what it suggested, running the vinegar solution through the machine and then running several full pots of water through.

I have not used the coffee maker since. I'm satisfied that the carafe and filter basket were both cleaned adequately. Do I need to be concerned about mold colonizing the coffee maker itself? I am aware that auto-drip machines get pretty gunky during the course of normal use. I'm not worried about that, just whether the mold could have transitioned from the basket and carafe back into the internals. I would not like to poison myself or any future guests. I can always just chuck the machine and replace it (~$40) or not, I just hate to throw out a good machine.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It sounds like you did a pretty thorough job. If it's been a while since you last used it and there's no evidence of mold on anything you can see (there's not that much to a drip machine that isn't visible), I think you're probably fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubG posted:

Flat bottom on induction isn't great, but you can get one of these:

...which is probably better (in terms of dumping heat into the food) than any (US residential) gas hob. They also make them for built-in cooktops, although good luck finding one in the US.

Glad to know that I can wok onto electric avenue

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, I need one of those. But doesn't it seem like you'd need a certain shape of pan to fit properly?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah... a wok. It has a round bottom like a bowl with no ridge or lip to steady it. That's why woks often sit inside of stabilizer rings.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I understand how woks work, that burner just isn't how they work

xtal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

Glad to know that I can wok onto electric avenue

Let mein take you higher

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah... a wok. It has a round bottom like a bowl with no ridge or lip to steady it. That's why woks often sit inside of stabilizer rings.

I guess it's more of how well do you have to match the radius of curvature for it to work properly. I'm not sure how standard wok curvature is anyway.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Has anyone seen a video lately of someone spatchcocking (and then further flattening) a whole chicken so that it can be cooked in a pan? The end result is insanely crispy and the chef even drags a fork across it to prove it. I have no idea where I saw it because it isn't in my youtube history.

I wanted to watch it again to try to get the temperature right for some bone-in thighs I want to cook the same way. I stopped pan-cooking chicken a long time ago because the texture of broiled stuff is so much better but I wanted to try her method out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GF and I are holing up in a suite for our birthday weekend, but w/ covid and all, restaurants are not gonna be a thing. The room has a small fridge and a microwave, gimme ideas for foods for 2 days.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Corla Plankun posted:

Has anyone seen a video lately of someone spatchcocking (and then further flattening) a whole chicken so that it can be cooked in a pan? The end result is insanely crispy and the chef even drags a fork across it to prove it. I have no idea where I saw it because it isn't in my youtube history.

I wanted to watch it again to try to get the temperature right for some bone-in thighs I want to cook the same way. I stopped pan-cooking chicken a long time ago because the texture of broiled stuff is so much better but I wanted to try her method out.

Carla (formerly?) from BA did it earlier this year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuEJH-99q4

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

There are dozens of Foodtube personalities doing this recently. Spatchcocking is weirdly trendy right now it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Corla Plankun posted:

Chef John loves to drag forks across food, but I couldn't remember one involving spatchcocking in particular.