Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Just turn your prison planet into bureaucratic hell, prisoners love being responsible for making sure all the eyes are dotted and tees crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Yami Fenrir posted:

Just submit to them. I don't know how the Khan behaves currently, since that seems to change every drat patch, but last I know they just doomstacked from hell and there's like no way you can fight it back at that point.

Yeah I didn't realize submitting was a good option until it was too late, when another empire submitted and seemed mostly intact

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SkySteak posted:

Oh I like the game but the pop management, whilst a cool idea, became extremely tiresome when your Empire got to any real size. Additionally the AI's complete inability to manage the system, whilst completely expected me, left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I've found Carrying Capacity (the mod) to mostly deal with the whack-a-mole element of the late game, which is nice. They're heavily reworking the way the pop system works for the next big release, which will also be nice. The AI is also better, but still not as good as Glavius or StarNet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I had one swings-and-roundabouts game where I started with the Doomsday origin. I found no good planets nearby but expanded to them anyway because it was that or have my species explode, and that left me weak. My advanced neighbour next door demanded my vassalisation so I figured, "Why not - I'll stay their vassal and expand and nobody will mess with me 'cause they'd have to declare war on this tough power next door", and accepted. I didn't realise that vassals can't expand, so I kicked off a war to get out of the vassalisation, hoping the AI would run into a bastion and my fleet and get destroyed. Unlucky for me, they did do that and I did technically win the engagement, but they had a second just-as-powerful fleet coming the other way that conquered most of my empire.

In the end I was still a vassal but only had a couple of 20% habitability planets to my name. I stuck it out though (was a multiplayer game) and when the Great Khan came around I submitted to him. That freed me from vassalisation (like a year before my overlord was due to finish integrating me) and the Khan beat up my overlord and I took their space.

In the end my empire ended up competitive again, once the Khan died of old age and his empire collapsed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

Oh I like the game but the pop management, whilst a cool idea, became extremely tiresome when your Empire got to any real size. Additionally the AI's complete inability to manage the system, whilst completely expected me, left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
Next patch should be hopefully reducing pop micro a lot. They're moving alloys and CG to districts, replacing the pop requirements for unlocking buildings with unlocking via city districts, changing pop growth from a flat rate to one that will slow down as your planet fills up, and adding some auto migration.

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
How much data is stored for each pop, how many calculations are being done for each pop, and how much of either of those are necessary?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Splicer posted:

Next patch should be hopefully reducing pop micro a lot. They're moving alloys and CG to districts, replacing the pop requirements for unlocking buildings with unlocking via city districts, changing pop growth from a flat rate to one that will slow down as your planet fills up, and adding some auto migration.

I thought the pop growth will slow as your empire population grows? Does planet population affect it as well?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

I thought the pop growth will slow as your empire population grows? Does planet population affect it as well?
Both. They're doing the carrying capacity thing where your planet pop growth scales positively with planet population and negatively as the planet fills up, so a full planet will grow slowly due to the no space. They're also scaling negatively with total empire population, so a non-full planet in a empire with 1000 pops on other planets will grow slower require more growth points per pop than a similar planet in an empire with 100 other pops.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 30, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

And Carrying Capacity will probably remain the better option because it removes the pop growth penalty for new colonies, which Paradox refuses to address.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been (possibly foolishly) assuming they're getting rid of that since the low population of a new colony comes with an inherent penalty to growth. Stacking a 50% penalty on top of that would require some serious what the christ thinking.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Splicer posted:

I've been (possibly foolishly) assuming they're getting rid of that since the low population of a new colony comes with an inherent penalty to growth. Stacking a 50% penalty on top of that would require some serious what the christ thinking.

Lol if you think paradox thinks things through properly.

*cough* Spiritualist Fallen Empires *cough*

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If they got rid of the growth penalty it would be a serious indirect nerf to the already weak machine or hive mind empires. :downs:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Poil posted:

If they got rid of the growth penalty it would be a serious indirect nerf to the already weak machine or hive mind empires. :downs:

Hiveminds? Weak?

You may be a few patches behind :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Maybe it was just because I was playing a necrophage empire (shamelessly stole the vampire/human origin idea from someone a few pages back, hello Vampire Hunter D-meets-Stellaris), but the Carrying Capacity mod was a huge quality of life improvement for the late game. I'd go off to war in another part of the galaxy for a few decades and come back and maybe one? planet had population issues since they had all been approaching "full" when the wars started.

I also loved roleplaying that despite having full genetic mastery over every aspect of the vampires' and humans' lives, the vampires just simply chose not to gene-edit the hematophagy out of themselves.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 30, 2020

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Tried the game and it's super fun! I played for 100 years or so with humans and then realized how to upgrade buildings. I did them all at once not realizing they upped the number of jobs in them so all my miners and farmers ran to become scientists and my economy washed up so I started a new game where I would upgrade properly as galaxy-curious and friendly Geckos I designed. The empire designer is really fun.

In this game a black hole started being all weird about a worm and asking for my scientists so I figured hey a pre-destination paradox never hurt anyone so I sent em in but then the admiral I hired from mercenaries showed up halfway across the galaxy as some future version of himself, my scientists starting trying to alter their own genetics for some weird ascension thing so I had to put an end to that, and then eventually a giant planet-sized worm appeared in my space demanding I submit to him which was not what my friendly space geckos were all about so I said no way and he just starting tearing my poo poo up.

I had a fleet of about 4k strength popping around fighting crystals and pirates but this guy was something like 15k strength. I threw my force at him but he just shrugged it off, though badly wounded, destroying my fleet. But good news! Some of them survived and I regrouped at another starbase while my economy was floundering, managed to repair them, and threw the remainder back at the worm and killed him! drat worm. This broke the predestination paradox so now my empire seems like they're gonna be OK but after throwing multiple scientists into a black hole and half my fleet into a giant worm I got like a small science boost to physics. I was really hoping I'd find my old scientists cryogenically frozen in the Loop Temple but no such luck.

Also ANOTHER one of my scientists tried to become god to a pre-flight race of dudes like come on. Space is hosed up.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Only a monster says no to the worm

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You choose poorly. The worm loves you! It has always loved you!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If the worm had just explained itself I’m sure we could have worked it out

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hiveminds? Weak?

You may be a few patches behind :v:

Whenever I run test games machine AIs do much better than biological ones

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Thats because machine empires have no separate food resource for the ai to screw up / mismanage and stall out on growth

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Thats because machine empires have no separate food resource for the ai to screw up / mismanage and stall out on growth

Nor consumer goods. Nor any habitability problems.

Their only real drawbacks to offset these massive bonuses are no trade, and bigger amenities requirements, both of which are pretty AI-friendly.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Gort posted:

Whenever I run test games machine AIs do much better than biological ones

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah it's easier for AI to manage, but the AI is by no means a good measure of power of an empire.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, that seems fairly obvious now that you've said it. If it had happened earlier on I might have done that.

Giving things as valuable as populated planets away in a 4X is insanely counterintuitive, don't feel bad for not thinking of it. Every strategy gamer's reflex in that situation is that if you've got 'em you're keeping 'em, rather than ownership being only step two of three.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
do we still do SA stellaris games? we should have a stellaris game with the guillotine penalty for people who miss scheduled game times. yes

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Nor consumer goods. Nor any habitability problems.

Their only real drawbacks to offset these massive bonuses are no trade, and bigger amenities requirements, both of which are pretty AI-friendly.
No trade just means more anchorages.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I ran my fleet to one side of my empire for an event and then got an alert that on the far side of my empire an asteroid was going to hit a new colony! I routed my fleet there but had no idea if it would make it in time when all of a sudden I get an alert that the asteroid was destroyed! My first contact, another xenophile race who are my Super Space Friends, sent their fleet over and destroyed it for me!

I can't remember many games with friendly collaborative AI that worked this well, I didn't expect it at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You never actually need to do anything about the asteroid now, the base outpost design has enough firepower to take it out.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

You never actually need to do anything about the asteroid now, the base outpost design has enough firepower to take it out.

That does depend on the placement of the relevant planet in its solar system though, I've definitely had cases where the outpost couldn't fire far enough to target the asteroid.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

PittTheElder posted:

Ah maybe that happened then I thought it was my Space Buddies

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, an alternative to sending your fleet is simply building a platform with long-range weapons now. :v:

(This is what I do to make sure the planet is not out of reach of the basic platform weapons.)

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm sure everyone with more than 30 hours in this game is familiar with an event like this, but I just had a black hole emit information that turned out to be love poems, and, well, frankly, I am for it

hulk hooligan
Jun 13, 2020

buy my pasta
I just had the Gray Tempest happen for the first time with an L-Gate activation, which conveniently is three jumps away from my capital system. What's the best way to deal with them? I've got just one 80k power fleet. Some of the smaller empires are getting creamed bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I read that as "Gay Tempest".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Do nebulae speed penalties apply to missiles or strike craft?

(I've got a chokepoint nebulae which somehow doubled up on speed penalties lmao)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Nebulas don't penalise speed, they just block sensors from outside of the system.

You thinking of a space storm, or a neutron star, maybe? You get double the speed penalty in a neutron star system while a space storm is ongoing.

To actually address your question - I don't think missiles or strike craft are affected by the speed penalty, but I never use 'em anyway so I could be wrong.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

hulk hooligan posted:

I just had the Gray Tempest happen for the first time with an L-Gate activation, which conveniently is three jumps away from my capital system. What's the best way to deal with them? I've got just one 80k power fleet. Some of the smaller empires are getting creamed bad.

How tough are the grey tempest fleets? 80k should be enough to move into l-space. Ideally a 2nd fleet would hold the portal while the 80 claims space. If you can get a shipyard in the first lspace system it gives you a good place to fix fleets

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New Dev Diary - introduces intel. Seems like new patch/expansion might be espionage based?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
So far, this seems like a reasonable coupling of existing inter-empire interaction mechanics with information availability, much the way that the previous DD about first contact integrated that mechanic with the digsite system. They're also explicitly saying that the details are non-final and apparently subject to change based on feedback?

Well then.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
"REDACTED" is almost certainly your spy infiltration level, I'm assuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

This is just about the best case scenario for an espionage system imo so I'm going with cautious optimism.