Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Niric posted:

Also, thanks to everyone for their interesting London comments. I've already accepted the job offer, so good to know it wasn't a completely stupid decision to do so

one of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if anyone lives outside london and wants to live in zone 2 ill trade with you on the caveat that you are happy to live in a block that might go up like the towering inferno if you look at it funny

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

kecske posted:

if anyone lives outside london and wants to live in zone 2 ill trade with you on the caveat that you are happy to live in a block that might go up like the towering inferno if you look at it funny

kensington is zone one i thought

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

Mornington Crescent

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Could be worse, you could live in an expensive apartment and have to look out at other peoples' tower blocks with unpleasant cladding. Like, ewww, cover it up, Fifi needs a nice view as she pisses off the balcony.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mornington Crescent

close!

its ok though the housing association that owns the building has installed thermal imaging (which the residents have to pay for) and set up a waking watch (which we also have to pay for) :homebrew:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

close!

its ok though the housing association that owns the building has installed thermal imaging (which the residents have to pay for) and set up a waking watch (which we also have to pay for) :homebrew:

Pure guesswork seeing as I used to see three tower blocks from one of our offices at the top end of Hampstead Road. Yellow, red and blue trim IIRC but it was over 20 years ago!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is a laughably naive interpretation of, for example, illegally suspending Corbyn and suppressing CLP motions.
I feel like Keith is just an average intelligence MP who has fallen in with the right of the party, and honestly believes that what they / guardian journos want is what the average sensible Briton wants.

In politics there is an artistry to statistics bending when putting out messaging to the public to convince them that the thing you want them to do is popular / a good idea.

The problem is when you have someone at the head of the party who can't tell the difference between internal polling and external polling.

Corbyn was a guy who has been an MP long enough to know what his constituents want, even if he wasn't ruthless enough to pursue it fully.

That's what makes Keir so dangerous to Labour, the fact that he is willing to be ruthless and play hardball in pursuit of absolutely baseless poo poo that the public don't want, while ignoring any policies they actually do want.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Can't wait until May and the local election results. I don't imagine Labour will do well so what'll be the fallout from the press reporting it as 'Labour have struggled to shake off the baggage of the Corbyn leadership which had a series of bad local elections and a disastrous general election in 2019...'

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The only possibly-good side in Syria is Rojava, I don't know how credible the accusations against them are but they seem to be the only ones even trying to not be semi-genocidal cunts at the least so you take what you can get

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

namesake posted:

Can't wait until May and the local election results. I don't imagine Labour will do well so what'll be the fallout from the press reporting it as 'Labour have struggled to shake off the baggage of the Corbyn leadership which had a series of bad local elections and a disastrous general election in 2019...'

Yeah, Labour are going to get monstered at the Local Elections.
They tend to do worse anyway, as lower turnout favours older voters, who lust for the carnage that voting Tory brings with it. Next year, though, I can see lots of Labour voters just not bothering to turn up.
I think how the media spin it will be determined by how shaky the PM is (whoever it is by that point). If Keir's been doing reasonably well, it'll all be his fault, but if he's a laughing stock they'll blame it all on Corbyn because why blow your load on a lost cause.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It'll be a good way to gauge how bad the media has got because I imagine turnout will be incredibly low on the Labour side. So look to how many report the 99.99999% Tory win was with 20% of the country voting.

Pessimistically I predict it'll just be reported as the country finally being united behind a strong and stable government.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can't see any dubbed in arabic only subtitles.
But this is appropriate for this thread: Mary Poppins in arabic is "ماري بوبينز" (Mary Boobeenz) " (which is where using the persian letter for p which is the arabic one for b but with 3 dots underneath instead of 1 would help!)

And her sister, Mary Baksaidbeenz.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1333166855020818434?s=19

Typical Paedo Mandelson

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like Keith is just an average intelligence MP who has fallen in with the right of the party, and honestly believes that what they / guardian journos want is what the average sensible Briton wants.

In politics there is an artistry to statistics bending when putting out messaging to the public to convince them that the thing you want them to do is popular / a good idea.

The problem is when you have someone at the head of the party who can't tell the difference between internal polling and external polling.

Corbyn was a guy who has been an MP long enough to know what his constituents want, even if he wasn't ruthless enough to pursue it fully.

That's what makes Keir so dangerous to Labour, the fact that he is willing to be ruthless and play hardball in pursuit of absolutely baseless poo poo that the public don't want, while ignoring any policies they actually do want.

This seems a dumb take, Starmer is obviously very clever. There's a huge number of people that want to be PM but he's the dude that's probably going to be the next one, even with the proviso that perverting Labour to neutered centrist is pushing at an open door in terms of the broader power structure there is still a reason why it's him not Smith or Philips or Ummuna or whoever, he has obviously outsmarted them that it's him wearing the crown when all of them are identikit for the role.

You make a lot of good points though, the way he's playing ruthless hardball on Party speech is absolutely unprecedented in non-wartime UK political history and it's clearly being done for factional purposes. But you're massively underestimating Starmer, and doing it exactly in the way he wants; he's clever, he has a plan, he wants to remove the left from the Party and is happy to play the gormless neutral chump for as long it takes for that to be achieved.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

He’s on thin ice, I’ve heard Keith doesn’t like people who refuse to unequivocally accept the EHRC report in its entirety

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

You probably have to click on the image to see the whole thing. Someone on the Redbridge Labour account posted a response to Corbyn's tweet saying he was just anti-Jewish.

https://twitter.com/Watson4Helen/status/1333162976149434370?s=20

Here's the Redbridge tweet:

https://twitter.com/th00m4s/status/1333174349562580994/photo/1

Followed by:

https://twitter.com/redbridgelabour/status/1333170305083314179?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 30, 2020

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Cool. The EHRC investigation into that should be interesting.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Person who tweeted that gonna get a pat on the head and a job in Starmer's office

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Taking a step back, it’s really weird that the Israel/Palestine continuing nightmare is an issue in British politics (and it is, even absent all the Corbyn stuff).

For the 90+% of the UK that has no personal stake, it’s a strange confluence of the BBC covering it therefore it’s at the front of mind for lots of people therefore when atrocities happen* people have normal human sympathy for it and react like it’s two families in the same village. As a species we are really really not built to handle the world we inhabit.

* these days usually by Israelis, although when I was a kid the atrocities were as often carried out by Palestinians, and that shift probably explains something about why Israel is pretty tolerant of fascists in TYOOL 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(Mary Boobeenz)

I've seen that film. You don't want to know about the spoonful of sugar.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've seen that film. You don't want to know about the spoonful of sugar.

I just threw up a little

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dick van Dyke definitely says Merry Bobbins in the film anyway so I think that's close enough.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Beefeater1980 posted:

Taking a step back, it’s really weird that the Israel/Palestine continuing nightmare is an issue in British politics (and it is, even absent all the Corbyn stuff).

For the 90+% of the UK that has no personal stake, it’s a strange confluence of the BBC covering it therefore it’s at the front of mind for lots of people therefore when atrocities happen* people have normal human sympathy for it and react like it’s two families in the same village. As a species we are really really not built to handle the world we inhabit.

* these days usually by Israelis, although when I was a kid the atrocities were as often carried out by Palestinians, and that shift probably explains something about why Israel is pretty tolerant of fascists in TYOOL 2020

I've figured it's because its the one international situation you're not supposed to talk about. Like there is no controversy on the left or the right about criticising Saudi Arabia and Muslim groups won't start kicking and screaming about islamophobia if you do, so it gets put on the list of bad things that should probably be sorted and people move on. But with Israel any substantive criticism of it gets attacked as antisemitism, so if you're an anti-imperialist on the left you're going to have to spend a hugely disproportionate amount of time on Israel because that is really the only one where you have to continually make the case for your position's legitimacy and defend yourself from accusations of racism. I think most people would rather be able to put it on the bad list and move on but that just isn't an option in the UK

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

I remember a few weeks ago someone posted a link to some statistics lining up the chances of covid to a one in ten chance of someone being in the room? I can't find it for the life of me.

My next door neighbour apparently had 30 odd people around on Saturday and I would like some maths for the intervention and being able to break it down to that small a size feels like it might be more impactful...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Apologies for the mail link but anyone who hasn't seen this should

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7412517/Peter-Mandelson-Jeffrey-Epstein-Ex-Labour-minister-shopping-depraved-financier-2005.html

And

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10173...mentary-claims/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

I've figured it's because its the one international situation you're not supposed to talk about.
There's also the aspect that, as viewed by Palestinians, it was Britain who gave their land away to a bunch of zealots who started killing them, so it's a bit like how Republicans view the Northern Ireland situation, especially in that if you start discussing anything other than the status quo it makes you an IRA sympathizer according to the press.

And of course how much of concern for the rights of such or another religious minority is just sectarianism dressed up in political language.

So I guess like many things (Jammu and Kashmir, Rohingya Muslims, Hong Kong democracy, land reform in Southern Africa) it's a taboo issue in Britain because the last external world power responsible for creating the tension was Britain.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mandelson is a dude who fucks kids for the networking opportunities.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You probably have to click on the image to see the whole thing. Someone on the Redbridge Labour account posted a response to Corbyn's tweet saying he was just anti-Jewish.

The guy who posted the initial tweet was a moderator at the jlm conference

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1333363794039410689?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Priti makes the nazgul look like boy scouts

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Why is this idiot woman still employed by anyone :ughh:

oh right

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Convex posted:

Why is this idiot woman still employed by anyone :ughh:

oh right

I think it's more because as a non-white Tory she's completely expendable, and because she is non-white - and a woman - there is no evil she won't do to prove that she is worth keeping around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She might also just think evil poo poo is good, actually.

I mean I guess you could suggest people come to think that sort of thing because of societal pressures to conform to their dominant peer group but like, that's everything everyone thinks ever.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

happy saint andrews day to all the scots on here :scotland:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jedit posted:

I think it's more because as a non-white Tory she's completely expendable, and because she is non-white - and a woman - there is no evil she won't do to prove that she is worth keeping around.

I don't know how you can say she's completely expendable when Johnson just went to the mat to save her career.

Patel is just one of the most cold blooded and ruthless operators in the Tory Party and the genuinely seem to respect her power.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1333373423469420545?s=20

(it's just the comment that's relevant, not sure why it's posting the poll too)

Don't know if other people follow Jack Monroe on twitter but over the course of the year it looks like supermarkets have been phasing out products from their economy ranges (the assumption being this will be a way to protect themselves from the impacts of pandemic and upcoming brexit supply chain disruption/price hikes in a way that largely impacts the people that the national press care about the least)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Danger - Octopus! posted:

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1333373423469420545?s=20

(it's just the comment that's relevant, not sure why it's posting the poll too)

Don't know if other people follow Jack Monroe on twitter but over the course of the year it looks like supermarkets have been phasing out products from their economy ranges (the assumption being this will be a way to protect themselves from the impacts of pandemic and upcoming brexit supply chain disruption/price hikes in a way that largely impacts the people that the national press care about the least)

Food inflation is pretty insidious, but everyone does seem to be noticing that their weekly food shop is increasing in price. Will be interesting to see the reaction when Brexit hits and onions cost £2 each.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Don't worry guys the bank of england still says inflation is 0.5% everything is fine. Please ignore the reality in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Nothing has made me giggle harder during the covid pandemic than the article on the bbc implying you can order a scotch egg and use it as an excuse to drink as it is a "substantial meal"

You can keep your booze but i really fancy a scotch egg now