Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A quick search in the US of Lowe's website shows every gas blower they sell under $300 has a two-stroke engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333141226946768898

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

B33rChiller posted:

If the trend has continued from other smaller gasoline engines like motorcycles and outboard boat engines down to the really small sizes, I would suspect many of the gas powered tools are now 4-strokes. eta: much of this trend was initially started due to tightening restrictions on emissions. A 4 stroke is likely to put out less in the way of unburnt hydrocarbons.

Lawnmowers are four stroke but basically all the other yard tools are still 2 stroke engines.

e: 4 stroke leafblowers are actually way more expensive than 2 stroke ones, running hundreds of dollars for even the cheapest ones I can find.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

loving unbelievable, man.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Goddamn that crash :stare:

I haven't followed F1 in a while but Gross Jeans was always a fan favourite so it's great he is mostly ok just a little singed up.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FCKGW posted:

Lane splitting is "technically" legal in California insofar that's it's not explicitly illegal. There's nothing on the books saying you can't lane split in CA but there's also nothing on the books that govern what constitutes "safe speeds" or when it's legal to split.

That being said, lane splitting is so common in CA that most riders I've seen do it safely and a large chunk of drivers will scooch over in the lane to make more room and get the little rider wave :3:

And then there are the people that get pissed off about bike riders and will open their door on the highway to make them crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsxRhbuwfI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvxaLRnLFwA

ded fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 29, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
that poo poo right there is why you keep a couple of 3/4" ball bearings in your jacket pocket

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

this guy was being an absolute dick though he doesn't deserve a car door, seems like he's lucky to be alive

e: at one point he's lane splitting at almost 60mph between stopped cars and he's weaving in and out of lanes and between vehicles, ignoring lane change signaling, etc..

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 29, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
And going right through a merge point just to cut off an extra second. That dick is going to get his just desserts whether it's right or not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the fact that someone is being a dick on the road does not justify an attempt to murder them

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

that poo poo right there is why you keep a couple of 3/4" ball bearings in your jacket pocket
the two on the tank aren't enough??

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

KoRMaK posted:

the two on the tank aren't enough??

Gotta leave something for the surgeons to pull out of your torso so they have a funny story to tell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/Gdsis09.mp4

I assume/hope it's fake or edited because :yikes:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Sagebrush posted:

the fact that someone is being a dick on the road does not justify an attempt to murder them

I feel like there's a disonnect here between different factions of being a dick

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ded posted:

And then there are the people that get pissed off about bike riders and will open their door on the highway to make them crash.

Apart from the whole "attempted murder/manslaughter" thing, wouldn't getting a biker to collide with your door you know, damage your door?

So best case for dick driver is a dinged door and a pissed off biker. Worst case is a dead biker and a spell in prison, and a dinged door.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Z the IVth posted:

Apart from the whole "attempted murder/manslaughter" thing, wouldn't getting a biker to collide with your door you know, damage your door?

So best case for dick driver is a dinged door and a pissed off biker. Worst case is a dead biker and a spell in prison, and a dinged door.

It's dumb as poo poo to do. But people do it all the drat time. Those 2 vids I posted were a 5 second search.

People hate motorcycle drivers especially when they are in traffic and the bikes zip past.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just dislike motorcyclists for upping the probability that I will have to see a gruesome death at some point.. Already seen 2 dead motorcyclists - one his own fault, the other technically the car's fault but the bike was going too fast. Both were pretty gnarly. And I'm not an EMT or anything, they probably gotta see that every week at least!

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

seems like these guys have their expecations set by Fallout - deep, dangerous abandonded mine: must have treasure at the bottom!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If you've ever bicycled it's really funny the number of people who'll try to block you from passing while they sit in stationary traffic. At first I thought it was just a coincidence how people would start moving over to narrow the gap but now I'm convinced they're impatient weirdos who have some sort of bizarre queuing mindset and feel like if you get in front of them you're somehow being rude.

It's insane

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hemale in pain posted:

If you've ever bicycled it's really funny the number of people who'll try to block you from passing while they sit in stationary traffic. At first I thought it was just a coincidence how people would start moving over to narrow the gap but now I'm convinced they're impatient weirdos who have some sort of bizarre queuing mindset and feel like if you get in front of them you're somehow being rude.

It's insane

:lol:

If you've ever been riding down a country road and had someone roll coal on you then it gets exponentially funnier

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

the fart question posted:

seems like these guys have their expecations set by Fallout - deep, dangerous abandonded mine: must have treasure at the bottom!

Maybe they're taking their cues from Lord of the Rings and are trying for a balrog to just settle this whole mess once and for all.

edit: This is the volcano eruption from last year that ended up killing 22 people as tourist groups were still being taken to the island, even though the regulators had heightened warnings about three weeks earlier.

https://twitter.com/sch/status/1203893996566634496?s=19

WorkSafe New Zealand charges 13 parties over White Island volcano eruption tragedy

NZ law says they can't name who they are, but going by the quotes in the article, it's the tour operators.

quote:

WorkSafe NZ said in a statement that those charged could not be identified as they had the right to seek a suppression order on their names at their first court appearance on December 15.

Ten parties faces charges which carry a maximum fine of $NZ1.5 million under New Zealand's Health and Safety at Work Act.

"There are three individuals charged under section 44 of the act which requires directors, or individuals with significant influence of a company to exercise due diligence that the company is meeting its health and safety obligations under the act," the statement said.

"Each charge carries a maximum fine of $300,000."

In the 36 hours after that happened, my old volcanology professor was on about eight different television channels, as he's basically the first result if you google "Australian volcanologist". Every time he said some variation of "it's my job to go to places like that, and I wouldn't have been there, no one should have been there".

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 30, 2020

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sagebrush posted:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Z the IVth posted:

lol if you think a driver is going to jail for killing a bicyclist or motorcyclist in the US. The cops probably won’t even charge them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ded posted:

People hate motorcycle drivers especially when they are in traffic and the bikes zip past.

hemale in pain posted:

it's really funny the number of people who'll try to block you from passing while they sit in stationary traffic. At first I thought it was just a coincidence how people would start moving over to narrow the gap but now I'm convinced they're impatient weirdos who have some sort of bizarre queuing mindset and feel like if you get in front of them you're somehow being rude.

some people feel that traffic is a competition, and anyone in front of them is beating them. they cannot abide this.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Sex Skeleton posted:

lol if you think a driver is going to jail for killing a bicyclist or motorcyclist in the US. The cops probably won’t even charge them.

So, uh, you're saying we should run over people on two wheels because it's a freebie?

Look, I think the guy in the spandex Tour de France cosplay hanging around in the middle of the road at like 15 miles per hour during commuting hours is an rear end in a top hat as much as anybody does, but that's no reason to kill somebody!

(People obviously do get charged for killing bicyclists and motorcyclists in the USA. To suggest that they never do is asinine.)

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 30, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ojT0g0Y.gifv

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a :piaa: if I ever saw one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

2/2 people featured in this video are assholes who should not be allowed on the road.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sex Skeleton posted:

yeah, the only way they don't chalk it up to "tragic accident" is if the murderer literally confesses to someone at the scene and said confession is recorded on a cell phone or dash cam. even then, it'd probably take the person recording literally forcing their hand with a "do your jobs or I give this to the victim's family and the media, see how that goes for you"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
OH. MY. GOD.

CAN WE PLEASE NOT HAVE THIS DERAIL IN THIS THREAD AGAIN?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

spookykid posted:

OH. MY. GOD.

I mean, of all the threads for a derail..

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It just pops off like every 6-8 months, lasts for 6-10 pages per flareup, and is the same 10 people arguing past each other until someone else pokes their head in and goes "well imo it's everyone that's an rear end in a top hat in this vid/gif" and it sparks it off with a new round of players. It's tedious, accomplishes nothing to change driving/motorcycle/bicycling culture, and everyone hates most everything about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to have a bike flare off every once in a while or the whole thread will blow.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Yeah you're right I'm sorry. Won't happen again.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Thank you everyone. Very much appreciated.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's amazing how quickly they were on the spot (2nd video)
https://twitter.com/wesleyfollon/status/1333104338588344320?s=20

He was safe literally 30 seconds after the crash.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
That big fire was handled very well.
Unlike this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku7TdLeEGsQ

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

spookykid posted:

OH. MY. GOD.

pictured: that derail every time it happens

https://i.imgur.com/WaKo2F2.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kennel posted:

It's amazing how quickly they were on the spot (2nd video)
https://twitter.com/wesleyfollon/status/1333104338588344320?s=20

He was safe literally 30 seconds after the crash.
I haven't watched an F1 race in a while, but they probably had that car follow the racers on the staring lap, which is always a huge mess. Which is obviously a good idea and probably saved his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day