Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

calandryll posted:

Our daughter has been waking up around 2 and walks mostly silently and stands outside our bedroom. I guess she's trying to decide if she wants to wake us or not. This is what it's been like for the last few nights:

Minus the puking part. It's nightmare inducing.

oh yea. that was always fun. wake up to a silhouette. my daughter used to grunt a lot in her sleep, and i'd have dreams where (before she could walk or crawl) I could hear her grunting and getting closer and closer, but never see her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My middle daughter has long dark hair and when she comes in the room in the middle of the night to tell us she needs to poop she has a lot in front of her face so it’s like being woken by the evil girl from the ring movie.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommendations for a multi camera baby monitor system?

We’re currently using the eufy space view monitor, which is fine, but with the second kid on the way, we’re looking for a camera in each of their rooms.

Eufy will sell you an extra camera, but we don’t like how it mounts. You have two options-put it in the corner of the room on the wall, or use an adapter to hook it on the crib. Putting it in the corner doesn’t let us see right over the crib, and if we hook it in the crib the kid will just knock it right off once they can stand.

Ideally we’d be looking for a two-camera setup that allows us to mount the camera right over their cribs. Just last week, our son got a stomach bug and was puking in his sleep. He did that two nights in a row but slept through the entire night and we couldn’t see it on the camera because he was too far away.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Save yourself the trouble and expense. Put the new baby's crib in your room.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/safe-sleep/Pages/Safe-Sleep-Recommendations.aspx

AAP posted:

Infants should sleep in the parents’ room, close to the parents’ bed but on a separate surface (room sharing). The infant’s crib, portable crib, play yard or bassinet should be placed in the parent’s bedroom for at least 6 months but preferably a year.

(Yeah I know I've posted this before so you've probably already read it. I just like repeating this recommendation for any other new parents reading the thread.)

BTW I'm surprised your 2-year old could vomit in his sleep without waking up! I had no idea that was possible, he must be a heavy sleeper. When ours has puked, she's woken up and complained about it loudly.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 30, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Save yourself the trouble and expense. Put the new baby's crib in your room.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/safe-sleep/Pages/Safe-Sleep-Recommendations.aspx

(Yeah I know I've posted this before so you've probably already read it. I just like repeating this recommendation for any other new parents reading the thread.)

BTW I'm surprised your 2-year old could vomit in his sleep without waking up! I had no idea that was possible, he must be a heavy sleeper. When ours has puked, she's woken up and complained about it loudly.

Thanks-you’ve posted that before and I have read it in the past.

With our first kid, our pediatrician recommended moving him out to his own room after the first or second month. With all the noises he’d make in the middle of the night, we were hyper sensitive and got no sleep. The doctor told us to move him to his own room for our own sanity, and it worked.

Regardless, I’d still need a dual camera set up after the 6-months, so the question still stands.

As for my toddler, he might have woken up and then passed right back out. He also never complains when he leaks through his diaper or poops himself. It’s a bit frustrating since we never know something has happened until we go in there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

With our first kid, our pediatrician recommended moving him out to his own room after the first or second month. With all the noises he’d make in the middle of the night, we were hyper sensitive and got no sleep. The doctor told us to move him to his own room for our own sanity, and it worked.

Regardless, I’d still need a dual camera set up after the 6-months, so the question still stands.

Yeah, I understand why in your case the move made sense.

I'm honestly not trying to be confrontational here, but it's "at least 6 months but preferably a year", not "can't stay in your room after 6 months". Still, I see why you'd still want a baby monitor solution for whenever baby moves out, so your point still stands. Just saying, you can wait if there are no good options on the market right now.

For comparison, we're blessed with a quiet sleeper and still got her in our room at 2. We'll probably move her out in the next few months, though there is really no need for it until she starts climbing out of her crib so I wouldn't bet we'll go to the trouble until then.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
edit: this was dumb

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, I understand why in your case the move made sense.

I'm honestly not trying to be confrontational here, but it's "at least 6 months but preferably a year", not "can't stay in your room after 6 months". Still, I see why you'd still want a baby monitor solution for whenever baby moves out, so your point still stands. Just saying, you can wait if there are no good options on the market right now.

For comparison, we're blessed with a quiet sleeper and still got her in our room at 2. We'll probably move her out in the next few months, though there is really no need for it until she starts climbing out of her crib so I wouldn't bet we'll go to the trouble until then.

Yeah no offense taken-I just know what worked for us in the past with our sample size of 1-so it’s entirely possible the next kid will be different.

We don’t need a new setup right now but I must be in nesting mode so I’m trying to get poo poo done ASAP.

There’s a Motorola lux 65 connect that comes with two cameras and a monitor and also can connect to Wi-Fi which checks all the boxes, but it’s not on sale and reviews seem mixed, so we can wait a bit.

I’ve got a Wyze camera installed in the kids room now and I did that so we could keep tabs on him when we go out and leave him with our parents or a sitter, so I might just add another Wyze camera. Both of the kids rooms are on the same floor so we’ll hear them cry regardless. My wife said she’ll try and start using the Wyze app instead of the monitor to see if she can use that instead...those cameras only cost $30 or something instead of $200 on a new Motorola setup.

Sidenote: with your quiet sleeper still in your room, how do you guys move around and stuff after they go to bed? I can’t imagine my son being in our room still. We put him down around 8 and then we’re up for another two hours. Our master bathroom isn’t in a great location so he’d at least see the lights come on and hear us brushing our teeth before bed.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Does anyone use ABC Mouse or other similar "learning" subscriptions? I started a month trial for my 5yo daughter, and she seems to enjoy it. My 2.5yo son doesn't really care for it. They're running a sale right now, so since she enjoys it, I'm thinking of buying a year even if there isn't a ton of actual educational value in it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nwin posted:

Sidenote: with your quiet sleeper still in your room, how do you guys move around and stuff after they go to bed? I can’t imagine my son being in our room still. We put him down around 8 and then we’re up for another two hours. Our master bathroom isn’t in a great location so he’d at least see the lights come on and hear us brushing our teeth before bed.

Yeah I guess it depends a bit on the layout of your home, too. Our bathroom is in the hall so doesn't connect to our bedroom directly. After she goes into deep sleep (30-40 minutes after falling asleep), she doesn't wake for regular everyday sounds or low lights. We just tiptoe a bit as we go to bed and didn't manage to wake her up once so far. (Don't ask me where the lovemaking happens. It's not in the bedroom...) As for noise from the baby, it was weird at first and we did do a lot of false alarm wakeups in the first couple of months, but I still wouldn't hesitate to try the same again with another one.

I did regret not getting a baby monitor a couple times, when we were traveling/visiting people. We made do with setting up one of our phones next to baby and calling the other one, but that's impractical as hell.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 30, 2020

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Does anyone use ABC Mouse or other similar "learning" subscriptions? I started a month trial for my 5yo daughter, and she seems to enjoy it. My 2.5yo son doesn't really care for it. They're running a sale right now, so since she enjoys it, I'm thinking of buying a year even if there isn't a ton of actual educational value in it.

My kid does a lot of ABC mouse, I think the learning path is pretty OK. It definitely leans into the gamification of learning or whatever with the tickets and store. I think the main thing it has going for it is just an absolutely insane amount of lessons in the learning path proper along with all the other activities. It does have a kind of quantity over quality thing going, but repetition is probably useful for learning, and nothing really feels low quality just repetitive. My kid's only 4 so I'm not sure how the lessons are for older kids though, but probably fine. We subbed for a year back in March when her school closed and it's felt like a pretty good value. I think Khan Academy Kids is better in some ways, but there's definitely just not as many things to do so the lessons scaled up past what my kid has learned faster than she was able to grasp the material. In a situation where she's using the app less frequently and doing most of her learning in school it wouldn't matter, but well here we are.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Thanks-you’ve posted that before and I have read it in the past.

As for my toddler, he might have woken up and then passed right back out. He also never complains when he leaks through his diaper or poops himself. It’s a bit frustrating since we never know something has happened until we go in there.

I understand the noisy baby thing so well. Didn’t get it with baby number one, she was quiet when she slept until she needed a feed. Baby number two, so much snorting and grunting and snuffling. Took a long while not to get woken every night.

We had both our kids room share in a bassinet overnight until they started rolling at 4 months, then they were moved to the cot in the nursery. They did day sleeps there anyway. We have an Arlo baby camera set up in both rooms and that is manageable with one app that we both have installed. It works for us.

I always thought I would room share for longer, but we don’t have space in our bedroom for a full sized cot, and everyone’s sleep improved once we were in different rooms as I wasn’t waking to feed when the baby just needed a grunt and to resettle.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
When our kid was a newborn he would make sleep sounds that were the exact noise from the Predator. We expected baby to cry, not come for us with his heat sensing vision.

We tried to start potty training a couple of weeks ago and so far the results have been very discouraging. He will go on the potty if you put him there but shows zero inclination for telling us when he has to go. He has told us a grand total of one time that he needed to pee, and that got him and extra super special reward that he loved, but that apparently wasn't enough motivation to get any repeat notifications.

He's not even 2.5 yet and I am starting to wonder if we are jumping the gun? It's hard to tell if he's there maturity wise, because he is super duper verbal for his age (like, 5 word sentences) but he just does not care about any of this

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

John Cenas Jorts posted:

When our kid was a newborn he would make sleep sounds that were the exact noise from the Predator. We expected baby to cry, not come for us with his heat sensing vision.

We tried to start potty training a couple of weeks ago and so far the results have been very discouraging. He will go on the potty if you put him there but shows zero inclination for telling us when he has to go. He has told us a grand total of one time that he needed to pee, and that got him and extra super special reward that he loved, but that apparently wasn't enough motivation to get any repeat notifications.

He's not even 2.5 yet and I am starting to wonder if we are jumping the gun? It's hard to tell if he's there maturity wise, because he is super duper verbal for his age (like, 5 word sentences) but he just does not care about any of this

This was us on our first, abortive attempt right around 2. He'd go on a schedule, but never gave us any indications, so we just let it go and tried again a few months later. Is your kid in daycare? We switched to a new one where he was finally put in the 2's classroom with other kids who were training/trained, and they'd keep him in diapers but give him the opportunity to go on the potty as well. Our old daycare hadn't moved him up after his birthday due to lack of spots. Once he settled in, we did 2 naked weekends as a refresher, and lo and behold, he started going to the potty and not in his diaper at daycare, and like a week later was more or less trained. Unless he's heavily distracted with screens or whatever, he does tell us "uh oh pee pee" now. I chalk it up to just having a lot more practice at realizing that he's peeing/needs to pee, and the peer motivation to do it in the potty in the first place.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Is yours waking up with a dry diaper some mornings? If he is, he has the physical capacity to hold his pee, and it's "only" a psychology/behavior matter, so you could consider it.

2.5 is not necessarily too young to start. From what I've read, you could have success anywhere between 18 months and 3 years. It might be too soon for your particular kid but you won't know until you try. Some kids at our daycare have been fully trained before 2.5. Ours is barely 2 and I think it's a little too soon to start pushing it. She will happily sit on the potty when I read her a story book, and most of the time she will pee&poop if she needs to. But from there to having her tell us when she needs to go, seems a while to go yet. Unless prompted by us, she will still happily play until she shits her diaper.

Seconded on the peer pressure thing. If he's in day care, ask them to have him sit on the toilet/potty before and after meals and naps, or whatever schedule they prefer.

It could be mentioned that in some cultures (notably in China), the average age to have a kid potty trained is way lower than in the US and Western Europe. Like, between 18 and 24 months, instead of 24 to 36. And back in the 1940s, most American children were out of diapers by 18 months.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 30, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pretty sure our son has fully entered the terrible twos. I don’t think he’s teething, but he’s just pushing every single boundary imaginable: he won’t eat what we offer, he throws his blanket if we so much as look at him the wrong way, he makes this cringe inducing whine, and he won’t sleep for a nap.

It’s 1 pm and I need a drink.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

My kids use ABCMouse and Kidtopia. Kidtopia is definitely feels less academic though it can help with writing letters. ABCMouse at least has videos that helped my kids with pronunciation and in recognizing colors because they watch it on repeat. ABCMouse also has books where some of them have voiceovers which helps a little with reading.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

This is probably going to be us

Baby decided it was going to read war and peace (or whatever) after night feeding #2 around 3am, after an hour of waiting for her to go back to sleep, ended up sleeping on the floor in another room while mom dealt with baby. Luckily she's on maternity leave and doesn't need to be functional in the morning, and I can already tell she's gonna be a zombie today until I can take the kid later

I don't know how anybody with a day job sleeps in the same room with an infant, seems ruinous for sleep/functionality at work. I think maybe one day in seven does both parent get more than 4 hours of continuous sleep

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

nwin posted:

Pretty sure our son has fully entered the terrible twos. I don’t think he’s teething, but he’s just pushing every single boundary imaginable: he won’t eat what we offer, he throws his blanket if we so much as look at him the wrong way, he makes this cringe inducing whine, and he won’t sleep for a nap.

Welcome buddy. It loving sucks.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
My 2y 9mo kiddo (who refused to even sit on the potty) has given up nappies and appears to have completely toilet trained herself in a week, motivated entirely by Bluey underpants.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

pseudomonas posted:

My 2y 9mo kiddo (who refused to even sit on the potty) has given up nappies and appears to have completely toilet trained herself in a week, motivated entirely by Bluey underpants.

Holy crap I need a set of those for each of my kids now. Even the potty trained ones.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nwin posted:

oh man, here too. full meltdown because I gave him some milk in the wrong cup the other day. has started looking at me and grinning then doing all the things he knows he is not supposed to do. refusing all options for what to wear or eat, lol. 'no no not lamb chops for dinner no'. mate you picked them in the supermarket 🙄

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

my stepdads beer posted:

oh man, here too. full meltdown because I gave him some milk in the wrong cup the other day. has started looking at me and grinning then doing all the things he knows he is not supposed to do. refusing all options for what to wear or eat, lol. 'no no not lamb chops for dinner no'. mate you picked them in the supermarket 🙄

He loving wore me down today. There’s no reasoning with him, he’s just testing everything and it’s like he doesn’t understand consequences. I’m seriously at the end of my rope today with him. He skipped his nap so now we’re trying to put him down early and that’s going about as good as one would expect.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 2.5 year old is like that too, she is absolutely exhausting. Everything is a massive struggle. She does it for fun too with me and her granddad because she knows we are not as strict as her mom and grandmother and more tolerant of her crap. I just don’t like getting sharp voiced with her but if I have to I will eventually and then it is just tears and compliance. By then I’m usually way frazzled.

The other two were not like this at all, they were very very easy so it’s a real change.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

This is probably going to be us

Baby decided it was going to read war and peace (or whatever) after night feeding #2 around 3am, after an hour of waiting for her to go back to sleep, ended up sleeping on the floor in another room while mom dealt with baby. Luckily she's on maternity leave and doesn't need to be functional in the morning, and I can already tell she's gonna be a zombie today until I can take the kid later

I don't know how anybody with a day job sleeps in the same room with an infant, seems ruinous for sleep/functionality at work. I think maybe one day in seven does both parent get more than 4 hours of continuous sleep

We set up a twin bed in the nursery that I slept on for the first 12 weeks while I was on maternity leave. I moved back to my big bed after that and we set up a video monitor. It let my husband get a little more reliable sleep when he was working vs having to deal with the noises and me getting up and down with the kid. He got up early with the baby three mornings a week (both weekend days and one weekday when his schedule was light) and I would sleep all morning to catch up. He did nights the next month while he was on paternity leave but it was 1-2 wake ups at that point so a little bit of a different story.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 2 year old learned the phrase "It's mine!" which is fun.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Ok, here's a weird one. Anyone have experience with odd soothing/idleness behaviors? Little dude can't stop, won't stop playing with his nipples, especially when bored. Daycare finally noticed, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something about it or just wait till he grows out of it. My instinct is to not make it a Thing unless it gets to the point that he's actually hurting himself. He'll play with his junk when he's naked or just in undies too, but that's easily solved by pants. The nips are just way more accessible I guess. It makes him look like a hilarious tiny pervert.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Goofball son is learning to make fun of me, I swear. This morning at 6:20 he woke up and did his usual "call for parent" thing, but usually he waits til around 7. So I grab my caffeine and head in there and see him sitting up in the crib staring at the door shouting.

The moment he sees me he just grins, giggles and flops back down and is asleep again instantly and I'm too caffeinated to go back to sleep.

Serves me right for trying to be ready for his usual morning playtime.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

My 2 year old learned the phrase "It's mine!" which is fun.

I’m particularly fond of my 2.5yr old saying, “but I want iiiiiit”

Until he loses his poo poo because if he’s saying that he’s been denied the thing he wants at least twice already. It’s just the calm before the storm. Usually it’s something he’s seen on the counter but decided not to ask for, instead going the route of “ima climb in this bar chair and just go for it and OOOH WHAT’S THIS?!”

He still thinks “no” can be overcome by “but I want it”

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 1, 2020

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

life is killing me posted:

I’m particularly fond of my 2.5yr old saying, “but I want iiiiiit”

Until he loses his poo poo because if he’s saying that he’s been denied the thing he wants at least twice already. It’s just the calm before the storm. Usually it’s something he’s seen on the counter but decided not to ask for, instead going the route of “ima climb in this bar chair and just go for it and OOOH WHAT’S THIS?!”

He still thinks “no” can be overcome by “but I want it”

Mine goes PLISPLISPLISPLISSSSSS because we’ve been trying to encourage more please and thank you. Then when the answer is still no it’s screaming, stomping, and if you try to intervene, hitting and biting.

Mondays and Tuesdays I just have my 5 month old and the toddler is at daycare and I swear it’s like I’m on holiday.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

Mine goes PLISPLISPLISPLISSSSSS because we’ve been trying to encourage more please and thank you. Then when the answer is still no it’s screaming, stomping, and if you try to intervene, hitting and biting.

Mondays and Tuesdays I just have my 5 month old and the toddler is at daycare and I swear it’s like I’m on holiday.

Besides the lack of sleep (to which you can adapt), babies are easier IMHO than toddlers. Toddlers are little balls of spite over half the time.

But they can also be sweet and hilarious and you can’t stay mad at them. Ours does please and thank you also, most of the time without a reminder. But man, getting him to sit still is impossible and I dread every instance where he wants something, because 90% of the time it’s a “no” and he doesn’t take “no” well at all

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

life is killing me posted:

Besides the lack of sleep (to which you can adapt), babies are easier IMHO than toddlers. Toddlers are little balls of spite over half the time.

But they can also be sweet and hilarious and you can’t stay mad at them. Ours does please and thank you also, most of the time without a reminder. But man, getting him to sit still is impossible and I dread every instance where he wants something, because 90% of the time it’s a “no” and he doesn’t take “no” well at all

She truly is hilarious when she wants to be. The other night she was being fussy at dinner time, not unusual, so we had made her some honey toast, at her request. Even then she wasn’t eating much. We said ‘eat two pieces’ of the four triangles we had cut. She took half a piece, ripped it in two and said ‘look, two pieces’ and ate it. Very hard to stifle the laughter there.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
^^^ that's hilarious and precious :3:

Ours just learned how to tantrum this month, which is really making me dread the next 2-16 years. But tonight we had a communications breakthrough that kind of floored me. She has a sound of grunting displeasure that she uses to indicate when a toy is missing from where it's supposed to be. This evening when she was unhappy about starting bedtime she pointed at her mouth and made that sound to say "a smile is missing here". Eventually with some back and forth it morphed into her silently touching her chin.

We'll see if she keeps it up consistently tomorrow, but it was a real surreal and gratifying experience to negotiate a form of communication like that, putting together signs to make something new rather than using them for a single purpose.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 1, 2020

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
The other day I was shuffling a few of the toddlers toy cards and he thought that was amazing. Now he goes and picks up two, hits them together repeatedly and goes "fff fff fff fff" (his word for shuffle), while walking around excitedly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

nwin posted:

Parenting Megathread: It’s 1 pm and I need a drink.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
This morning was a straight-up tantrum from the moment I announced we were leaving until she was out the door. Unluckily she was right in a middle of playing with her "dinner playset", setting a table on the living room table, and she did not take well to being interrupted. *sigh* I guess this is my life now? A full week after she turned two, too...

On the way from our front door to the elevator, she managed to calm down and the walk to the daycare was just uneventful small talk. It's like as soon as she was past the threshold she could just let it go.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 1, 2020

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh hooray my little one just turned two and is starting to be a little brat at times. Yaaaay.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

2DEG posted:

Ok, here's a weird one. Anyone have experience with odd soothing/idleness behaviors? Little dude can't stop, won't stop playing with his nipples, especially when bored. Daycare finally noticed, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do something about it or just wait till he grows out of it. My instinct is to not make it a Thing unless it gets to the point that he's actually hurting himself. He'll play with his junk when he's naked or just in undies too, but that's easily solved by pants. The nips are just way more accessible I guess. It makes him look like a hilarious tiny pervert.

This is hilarious, and will make for a great story when he’s an adult. Would he wear onesies that snap at the crotch so he can’t pull up his shirt?

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Koivunen posted:

This is hilarious, and will make for a great story when he’s an adult. Would he wear onesies that snap at the crotch so he can’t pull up his shirt?

His onesie days are long behind him, he's almost 2.5 and starting to grow out of 3T shirts. Either way, up the shirt, down the collar, between buttons, he'll get at 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

nwin posted:

He loving wore me down today. There’s no reasoning with him, he’s just testing everything and it’s like he doesn’t understand consequences. I’m seriously at the end of my rope today with him. He skipped his nap so now we’re trying to put him down early and that’s going about as good as one would expect.

that sounds like my 3 year old. a couple months ago i felt so out of control dealing with her i started therapy, lol. sometimes she's just being a wang because she thinks its funny. My MIL bought us a book called No Drama Discipline which, while I think it's a little too far on the woowoo scale, does encourage you to get into what they're thinking and why they're being a wang. this morning i think it's the post holiday letdown. the imagination thing is so real at this age too, when she's in her head playing she will literally zone us out. it took a while to realize that while sometimes she's just ignoring me, sometimes she really literally didn't hear me because she's playing with her real family: peppa pig.

for those that answered my questions earlier, thanks -- she and her friend had a nice playtime last weekend and the other parents admitted they were a little apprehensive about how it would go also. i think they know what's going on but are at a bit of a loss on what to do when your kid is the hitty one.

majestic12 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 1, 2020