Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Brawnfire posted:

Is that just cotton batting lit from the top? Daaaaaamn

Yep. It's basically just that display snow you can buy at craft stores.

I followed this guys example for mine.
https://imgur.com/gallery/aQ9FJtm

Only difference was, I used a pvc pipe as my stand and glued that to a wood base. The rockets sat perfectly on top of it so it so there was no need to make a secondary platform or anything. The dowel with the fishing line is just insurance that if my cats bump into it, the rocket doesn't fall right over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

veni veni veni posted:

It's a space costume. I guess it's space police.

Yeah it's space police clearly, but who's got time for reading or context? :)

PriorMarcus posted:

The lower left kid is a plane counterpart to the kid in the sports car costume from past seasons.

Maybe it'll come with a little rc plane or something, that would be badass.

Edit: VVV Agreed, nice job!

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 30, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yep. It's basically just that display snow you can buy at craft stores.

I followed this guys example for mine.
https://imgur.com/gallery/aQ9FJtm

Only difference was, I used a pvc pipe as my stand and glued that to a wood base. The rockets sat perfectly on top of it so it so there was no need to make a secondary platform or anything. The dowel with the fishing line is just insurance that if my cats bump into it, the rocket doesn't fall right over.

Not sure why, but yours looks better to me

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Brawnfire posted:

I'm sure it's just how the lighting on mine came out in the photo, but I'm really happy with how it came out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brawnfire posted:

I think it's because the exhaust is shaped so it looks like it's coming out of the engines where in the original it's just lumped up cotton.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AllisonByProxy posted:

Decided to mess with stud.io for the first time. This was the result:

Nice! I love how instantly recognizable it was. Lots of good details.

What immediately comes to mind though is trying to think of some way you could achieve the way the big tree raises to reveal the Channelwood book. There's probably not enough space underneath to get a lot of height (if any at all) but I wonder if there's some way you could achieve a small lever where you press down on a nearby tree to make the big tree raise a bit?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

This is annoying; both Bricklink and Brickset appear to have mistakes in their inventories so this isn't as quick to check as I would have hoped. That said, tan is good to go assuming 3063 is replaced with 85080 (updated mold). Dark tan, dark orange, and medium nougat won't work - far too many pieces unavailable. Not sure what else would be remotely copper-y.

You're a saint

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/creator-expert

The only sets they have in stock are the Man U stadium and the $10 mini london bus. Everything else is out of stock.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/architecture

Architecture only 4 sets in stock.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/ideas

Ideas? Central Perk.

So of the 49 or so adult geared sets, they have 7 right now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s still a pandemic going on. Just about every company with high-volume manufacturing overseas has seen constant delays since March. Then, you factor in that it’s 1) the busiest shopping week of the year in the US and a larger than normal number of people are doing exclusively online shopping and 2) there’s a sale going on and a $150 GWP offer. It’s not really surprising that stock is very low across the board.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So i bought some xmas presents during double VIP and qualified for the Charles Dickens set.
Today i got a shipment from Lego, just the Dickens set.
Kinda weird, im assuming the other sets are sent from a different warehouse or something.

Carbohydrates posted:

This is annoying; both Bricklink and Brickset appear to have mistakes in their inventories so this isn't as quick to check as I would have hoped.

Another method is to put 1 of each piece into Stud.io, select them all then go to the color selector in the top right, that should only display colors available to all the selected bricks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Fiat 500 has so many different shades of the same yellow, it’s amazing. This is especially egregious.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It moves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsv_fSJrto

I guess I miscounted the track-pieces on the rear leftwhere it catches the outer panel all the time. Gonna add another track piece.

This is such a fun MoC, I'm grinning all the time while building it.

e: does anyone know what the name or piece number is for the 1x1 round rubber things that you can put on the tracks? Because with them, it might even be able to turn when both sides run in opposite directions. Currently, it doesn't have enough grip. Then again, there's like 20 pounds of pieces still missing, so maybe that'll add enough downforce....

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 30, 2020

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

tuo posted:

e: does anyone know what the name or piece number is for the 1x1 round rubber things that you can put on the tracks? Because with them, it might even be able to turn when both sides run in opposite directions. Currently, it doesn't have enough grip. Then again, there's like 20 pounds of pieces still missing, so maybe that'll add enough downforce....

Extremely dope.

Are you looking for these?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Btw, VIPs can redeem one half cost $20 award today. One for in store and online. 1300 points instead of 2600.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nth Doctor posted:

Extremely dope.

Are you looking for these?

Exactly, thank you very much! I just saw that it turns when I put it on the floor (stupid me trying it on a glas table, also adding that one track link helped a lot) but I still might add those rubber things. But I'll wait till everything is finished...maybe the weight of the other parts is enough (or maybe it won't move at all then :lol:)

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
What do you all do with your boxes? I definitely don't see these as an "investment" or anything, but I do know that there's an aftermarket for Lego and it'd be nice to have the option of reselling sets if I wanted to. Does having/not having the box have a big effect on resell price?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Couple years ago, I sold my UCS Falcon, UCS ISD and packaged Super Star Destroyer. I never really cared about the boxes, so just had them somewhere in the basement, and also never really cared about the instructions while building (the older UCS sets still had the ring-binded stuff, so couple of pages also kinda ripped and stuff), and basically everyone interested in them tried to lower the price because the packages weren't in perfect shape and the instructions weren't goos as new. So yeah, people care about them. Still managed to sell the stuff off at pretty good prices, and the boxes from stuff I build nowadays I just - of possible - fold at their seams so they become small and put them in the basement, but only for stuff that might be interesting for collectors.

Everything else, I mostly just archive the instructions and throw away the boxes, or stuff them one into each other so they take up less place...but it still takes up so much space :/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

garfield hentai posted:

What do you all do with your boxes? I definitely don't see these as an "investment" or anything, but I do know that there's an aftermarket for Lego and it'd be nice to have the option of reselling sets if I wanted to. Does having/not having the box have a big effect on resell price?
It can have a significant effect, yes. Doubly so if there's an insert, like a lot of old sets such as the Mega Core Magnetizer had a big plastic clamshell insert that would like, display a bunch of pieces inside the flip-up flap cover, show artwork, etc. If you had that too, it can dramatically increase the value, but also dramatically increase the space it takes up. Meanwhile, just the box still gives a value boost, and can be flattened(I recommend carefully breaking it down so it can be easily glued back to its former shape without being obvious, or in the case of a lot of newer sets, just cut the tape with a skill knife and flatten it). Flattened boxes take up basically no space besides the surface area, I have a single big box where I keep all my flattened lego boxes and it fits almost everything barring the super gigantic sets.

I would say, even for smaller sets, if you have the space where you can have a box you can put all the flattened boxes in, it might be worth keeping the smaller set boxes too since most people will chuck those and thus they'd be a bit rarer. I remember trying to find a with-box M:TRON small set, the Vector Detector, was basically impossible when I went looking for one at the time. Hell, even looking right now, there are only five listings(sold or otherwise) on ebay that have the box, and one is super jacked up.

edit: I had bought a big lot of lego sets from the 80s/early 90s a while back that had boxes and instructions included, and when selling them I was getting a solid 25-50% boost by having the instructions and box with the pieces for the set. So it can make a big difference depending on the set.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 30, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Grocery store update: made a meat cooler

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Whenever I buy a used set I specifically seek "no box / no instructions" because the box means nothing to me and all LEGO instructions are online by now. The fact that I do this in order to pay a lower price does indicate that people care about those things though, I guess!

Personally, I try to keep all my instructions, but I get rid of most boxes because I live in a 1b1b with limited storage. I keep boxes for IDEAS sets and other ~fancy~ boxed sets, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Normally I wouldn't post so close together but I swang back through on my way to checkout and they just stocked beef liver, and it's an amazing deal!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

Whenever I buy a used set I specifically seek "no box / no instructions" because the box means nothing to me and all LEGO instructions are online by now. The fact that I do this in order to pay a lower price does indicate that people care about those things though, I guess!

Personally, I try to keep all my instructions, but I get rid of most boxes because I live in a 1b1b with limited storage. I keep boxes for IDEAS sets and other ~fancy~ boxed sets, though.

I keep my instructions, but usually ditch the boxes after I use them to ferry the built sets to my office. I haven't brought myself to give up the UCS Falcon box, though. I like too many of the box details.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

I have a few classic space sets with their boxes, imo they add something to it when displayed alongside the set.

my original space police lock-up base is being overrun by bananamen

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

my original space police lock-up base is being overrun by bananamen
Yeah, that'll happen. That's why you need several of those monkeys-with-guns from the old Pirates sets.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Brawnfire posted:

Normally I wouldn't post so close together but I swang back through on my way to checkout and they just stocked beef liver, and it's an amazing deal!
What do the grabby bits on top and the robot arm represent?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just general chops I guess, lol. Little meat, little bone. The three-year-old gets the idea so that's good enough for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Brawnfire posted:

Just general chops I guess, lol. Little meat, little bone. The three-year-old gets the idea so that's good enough for me.
Ah I can see that now! That's not bad, given the scale. I was anticipating it was some feature of the cooler and I'm thinking, maybe where you are all meat coolers have racks of spice packets on them or something. With that image on my mind, I couldn't see the obvious.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

Fun fact: the last two UCS sets I built (Y-Wing and Batmobile) I actually didn't apply the UCS sticker because if I ever plan to sell it again, that's another point that influences the sale price. Walking past them with the blank slate I realized how stupid that is and now I can't find the stickers because I can't remember where I put them. So I bought new ones from that one site that sells all the bootleg original UCS stickers plus the UCS stickers for the MoCs and everything is fine. I know I'll find the original stickers at one point, but it was another kick in my rear end to not follow that "it's a precious collectors item"-thing.

I know I'm pretty alone with that opinion though. When I have people around that also build Lego and they look at all the MoCs I built (because that's kinda my thing now) and they are all "wow this is awesome, how did you get all the pieces?" and I say "it's chinese non-Lego", their interest drops in a second, and they kinda look at it in disgust. I'll never really understand this. What makes Lego unique to me is the quality of the design behind the sets, the stories they tell. This is something you won't get from most of the MoCs, or other building block series. But if something is a nice thing once beeing built, I totally don't care from what it's made, as long as I know that the guy that designed it got his share (buying the instructions for a MoC from the creator, and never buying a 1:1 Lego-copy like the stuff Lepin sold).

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
What site has the ucs stickers? I have 10019 but it got water damage and the stickers got wet.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

The Fiat 500 has so many different shades of the same yellow, it’s amazing. This is especially egregious.

The left side is darker. That’s really hard to tell without you pointing it out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ah I thought he ment the distinctly brighter yellow around the stud base

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Earth posted:

What site has the ucs stickers? I have 10019 but it got water damage and the stickers got wet.

I buy mine here:

https://www.ultimatecollectorstickers.co.uk/online-store

they are of course not the original ones copied to not eat a cease-and-desist, but better than a blank piece

here's the one you are looking for, and which I got for the new non-UCS-Tantive IV after building a stand for it (and it looks so much better on that stand, especially since the center-of-weight allows most of it to float at the front)

https://www.ultimatecollectorstickers.co.uk/product-page/lego-star-wars-ucs-sticker-for-tantive-4-10198

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 30, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Regarding the colors, I think it's sometimes hard to judge it on a piece-vs-piece shot, but looking at the Sian here...it's really bad, and my brother told me his Fiat looks also bad (haven't seen it yet...Corona etc.)

Could also come down to the display showing it, the two pieces in that picture look like pretty off on my office Eizo, but way less off on the phone. Yellow is also pretty prone for Metamerism, so slight changes in the formula can yield drastic results depending on the light.

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 30, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yellow has been problematic for a long time. It's like the light grey / light bluish grey problem but as far I know lego only has only one official shade of yellow. If you put old yellow pieces up against modern ones, the new ones are super pale like they aren't fully opaque. Then when they started running factories in China it started going all over the place, I haven't seen two shades of yellow in the same set but I definitely got at least four shades of yellow rolling around in my bins.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks everyone for the input about keeping the boxes! Related followup question - for the bigger sets that have the separate plain white box inside, do those matter at all when it comes to resell value or can I safely throw those away? It doesn't seem to me like those would matter, but I've also seen the blank white cardboard insert that was in the Earthbound retail box sell on its own on eBay for a not insignificant amount of money so I don't want to make assumptions.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

garfield hentai posted:

It doesn't seem to me like those would matter, but I've also seen the blank white cardboard insert that was in the Earthbound retail box sell on its own on eBay for a not insignificant amount of money so I don't want to make assumptions.

What? Is it somehow distinguishable from the insert that was in every other SNES game box?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What? Is it somehow distinguishable from the insert that was in every other SNES game box?

Yeah, Earthbound came with a players guide included and a proportionally large box (and thusly insert) to match. Still though, I love Earthbound, I have my original cartridge and players guide and an Earthbound tattoo and I still wouldn't spend money on a blank cardboard insert so I'm definitely not taking anything for granted in terms of what a collector may or may not find valuable.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For anyone who cares, my local Costco (Bolingbrook, IL) has the Technic Land Rover Defender for $160. Normally $199 on lego’s website.

I am a weak person who likes the LEGO vehicles so I bought one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Ok, since we're talking about color variation issues, I'm gonna make my pitch here: dark red is the worst color LEGO has ever made.

It was originally introduced in 2001 as 154 Dark Red. In 2010, it was updated a bit to be more vibrant and its color name was changed to 154 New Dark Red. Borrowed a couple pics from New Elementary; definitely read their article about this too.

In 2018, it was updated yet again, but this time without any color name update. It's a little more vibrant still, but also slightly more translucent now.

So three distinct versions of this color exist, and only two of them are officially recognized, and in the aftermarket (Bricklink and such) none of them are distinguished at all. If you buy a used 1 x 1 dark red plate, you could get one of three distinct shades of dark red, but then again, it might not be exactly correct to any of those three. Like some other colors (tan, lime green, and dark blue especially), dark red had a ton of inconsistency from batch to batch. If you bought a set in the mid 2000s with a lot of dark red, you likely saw the worst of it.

Dark red is also victim to the infamous brittle parts issue from the 2010s too, since that affected dark colored pieces with red dye: in order of severity, I think I'd rank it 1) reddish brown, 2) dark brown, 3) dark red, and 4) dark orange. All were extremely prone to turning brittle and breaking with age. The correction of this issue is what caused the color to change yet again in 2018.

Please observe this car I built out of dark red. It uses used pieces from as far back as the early 2000s, as well as brand new pieces. Even in flattering light, you can see tons of different shades here. Look at the C pillars especially to see the oldest dark red right next to the newest.

So in conclusion: gently caress you, dark red. You're awful.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

obi_ant posted:

The left side is darker. That’s really hard to tell without you pointing it out.

Sorry, it's more visible in real life (and on my phone). But yes, you're right.