Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

On my list of things to get to, except every time I check back with it there's another new one out and it makes the idea of tackling the series ever the more daunting

Just hop in wherever. Yakuza zero is a good place to start. Like a dragon just came out with all new protagonist and story but is very rpg inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
TY for all the advice and suggestions!

gohuskies posted:

I'm interested in suggestions for singleplayer shooter open world games for PC, especially recent ones since I haven't played many new games over the past several years. Having a stealth element is a nice added bonus, and I prefer first person but third person is okay too. What I like are Stalker (this was perfect) and Far Crys 3 and 4. Fallout New Vegas was good for me but it's leaning towards the RPG side so not perfect. Splinter Cell Blacklist wasn't open-worldy enough but still close to the ballpark because of the stealth/shooter element. I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution a lot, not too much RPG there but still not really an open world even though the levels were big.

What I already have on my radar to play - Metal Gear Solid 5, Far Cry 5, and Dying Light. My questions - what am I missing that I should look at? Ghost Recon: Wildlands seems like it could be right up my alley but does it work single player? The Outer Worlds sounds good but how much is it an RPG and how much a shooter? Same question for Fallout 4, which I kind of know what to expect from after playing New Vegas. Is Red Dead 2 the one for me?

Ghost Recon: Wildlands works in single player -- i.e., you can do everything in the game still -- but it's not really a good enough game to play without coop imo. Unless you really enjoy just loving around in the sandbox, there isn't much there. The writing and story is extremely bad, and the missions mostly just feel like they could have been random open world events anyway. It's fun with a team, but I would definitely play Far Cry 5 before it (or a lot of the other games you've listed).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Man, hearing Ghost Recon makes me think about "diamond formation!" from Future Soldier, in which four soldiers group hug a VIP and walk down the middle of the street. The game takes this completely seriously.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I didn't play Wildlands but I did play Breakpoint for quite a while as I have a broken brain. I don't remember much from it other than being a large open world settlement shooter with loot, that was meant to be taken on co-op, but was doable solo from what I remember. Might be worth a try if you can find it cheap but there's also a bunch of good recommendations you should try first.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's older and smaller scale, but Far Cry Blood Dragon is still a real good time.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Thanks all for the open world shooter suggestions!

Fruits of the sea posted:

How about Borderlands 3?

How was 3 compared to 1 and 2? I put like 30-40 hours into both those and I'm not sure I even actually finished them. A fun setting but kind of repetitive gameplay.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wildlands works just fine as a single player game.

tildes posted:

Ghost Recon: Wildlands works in single player -- i.e., you can do everything in the game still -- but it's not really a good enough game to play without coop imo. Unless you really enjoy just loving around in the sandbox, there isn't much there. The writing and story is extremely bad, and the missions mostly just feel like they could have been random open world events anyway. It's fun with a team, but I would definitely play Far Cry 5 before it (or a lot of the other games you've listed).

Knightmare posted:

I didn't play Wildlands but I did play Breakpoint for quite a while as I have a broken brain. I don't remember much from it other than being a large open world settlement shooter with loot, that was meant to be taken on co-op, but was doable solo from what I remember. Might be worth a try if you can find it cheap but there's also a bunch of good recommendations you should try first.

I'm inclined to go for it on Wildlands, albeit probably after Far Cry 5, MGS 5, and maybe GTA 5. I played a bunch of the early Operation Flashpoint and ARMA games in the 2000s and it seems a lot like those but without the scripted missions, and dealing with the AI in Wildlands can't be much worse than dealing with Operation Flashpoint AI.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Man, I find every single of those boring as hell except sleeping dogs.

Dishonored while not open world is big on stealth and creativity. Stalker isn't recent, but is really interesting and big on thinking about ways to approach enemies that aren't just charging in guns blazing.

Dishonored 2 is supposed to be as good as 1, right? Might go on the list, I liked the first one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

gohuskies posted:

How was 3 compared to 1 and 2? I put like 30-40 hours into both those and I'm not sure I even actually finished them. A fun setting but kind of repetitive gameplay.

I'll be honest I didn't play it for long because while I think they perfected the formula, I was kind of done with fps Diablo after the previous games. Ymmv, I loved the gameplay but hated the setting so that didn't help either. It shines in multiplayer, of course.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gohuskies posted:

Dishonored 2 is supposed to be as good as 1, right? Might go on the list, I liked the first one.

Better. A pure stealth playthrough in Dishonored 1 is perfectly doable but boring and poorly supported, in Dishonored 2 the powers and level design are way more cut out for it.

The story's kind of mediocre but that wasn't really the series' strong point to begin with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

It's basically more of the same. There's some minor refinements but they're not really straying from their lane.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Great, now I have Sleeping Dogs installed.

Weird I've had it for awhile and have never played it.
Always another unplayed game in the old Steam library.

It'll give me something to do until CB2077. One day

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

gohuskies posted:

I'm interested in suggestions for singleplayer shooter open world games for PC, especially recent ones since I haven't played many new games over the past several years. Having a stealth element is a nice added bonus, and I prefer first person but third person is okay too. What I like are Stalker (this was perfect) and Far Crys 3 and 4. Fallout New Vegas was good for me but it's leaning towards the RPG side so not perfect. Splinter Cell Blacklist wasn't open-worldy enough but still close to the ballpark because of the stealth/shooter element. I liked Deus Ex Human Revolution a lot, not too much RPG there but still not really an open world even though the levels were big.

What I already have on my radar to play - Metal Gear Solid 5, Far Cry 5, and Dying Light. My questions - what am I missing that I should look at? Ghost Recon: Wildlands seems like it could be right up my alley but does it work single player? The Outer Worlds sounds good but how much is it an RPG and how much a shooter? Same question for Fallout 4, which I kind of know what to expect from after playing New Vegas. Is Red Dead 2 the one for me?

It's not a traditional open world, but if you like Deus Ex and Dishonored then the answer is PREY. Play PREY.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

OgNar posted:

Weird I've had it for awhile and have never played it.
Always another unplayed game in the old Steam library.

It'll give me something to do until CB2077. One day

Sleeping Dogs is good poo poo.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

OgNar posted:

Remember that you're a cop, and like Kiryu, have never killed anyone.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's basically more of the same. There's some minor refinements but they're not really straying from their lane.

Having recently jumped straight from BL2 to BL3 with some friends, the shooting in 3 is definitely tighter and more fun, there's more weapon variety, and traversal and map design are better I think. The writing somehow got worse though, which is a real achievement.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OgNar posted:

CB2077. One day
CyberBunk

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I'm inclined to go for it on Wildlands, albeit probably after Far Cry 5, MGS 5, and maybe GTA 5. I played a bunch of the early Operation Flashpoint and ARMA games in the 2000s and it seems a lot like those but without the scripted missions, and dealing with the AI in Wildlands can't be much worse than dealing with Operation Flashpoint AI.

The ai in wildlands is totally passible. Your team mates are literally invisible to the enemy until you get detected, so they will never screw up your stealth. They are relatively competent fighters as well, and really exist for you to give them orders on stealth kills and stuff. This game is a lot more arcade and a lot less simulator than something like operation flashpoint.

I didn't care for Dishonored 2, but I barely liked the first one so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

thekeeshman posted:

Having recently jumped straight from BL2 to BL3 with some friends, the shooting in 3 is definitely tighter and more fun, there's more weapon variety, and traversal and map design are better I think. The writing somehow got worse though, which is a real achievement.

How the gently caress did it manage to get worse after getting rid of loving Anthony Burch

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

kirbysuperstar posted:

How the gently caress did it manage to get worse after getting rid of loving Anthony Burch

1. Hire writer with distinctive (and terrible) sense of humour
2. Fire said writer, pay interns to write in first writer's style
3. ???
4. Profit

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Burch's vomit of monkey cheese sometimes had a good gag or two in it, and he usually kept things brief and moving so you could get back to shooting things. The writing in 3 is like a bad writer tried to write a serious plot, then remembered it was a BL game and went back and sprinkled in the monkey cheese. The cutscenes are way too long and way too boring. Doesn't help that the main villains are not "I hate them" annoying, but more "I'm genuinely thinking of just turning the game off" annoying.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I downloaded the Shadow of War demo. In 10 minutes I saw like 50 symbols and 10 game mechanics with no idea what any of them mean and I had no idea why I was doing anything. It is the opposite of a "press left to move left" tutorial.
Should I start with Shadow of Mordor? Or is it worth it to jump directly into Shadow of War?
Is it even a game for me? I imagine it is open world with fun skills and I can command some minions. Something like Assassins Creed meets Overlord?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's no real RTS or pseudo-RTS elements at all. You can assign a bodyguard who you can call in to help you out, you can set up some skullduggery where orcs stab other orcs in the back, and there's some basic pre-planning when it comes to sieges/defenses. That's really it. The rest of the orc stuff is incredibly hands-off, to the point where a not insubstantial part of the game is watching the AI fight itself.

Starting with Mordor is probably a good choice. War is arguably better, but at the expense of also often being too much of a good thing and it really leans whole hog into the sandbox elements over anything else.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I found Shadow of War to be a downgrade to Mordor in almost everything except "amount of content", and even that can be a downgrade sor some people.

I don't know how they managed to make the UI so much worse and clunkier for War when it worked and looked so well for Mordor.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Alright, thank you both! I got the goty edition of Mordor.

It comes with 20 DLC. Are the ones with the runes paid cheat codes? I want to avoid things like the sniper rifle and shotgun in DE:HR.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

RabbitWizard posted:

Are the ones with the runes paid cheat codes? I want to avoid things like the sniper rifle and shotgun in DE:HR.

Yes. The runes you get from some of these are pretty OP for the early game.

Edit: some of them modify the combat system in ways that might or might not make it more fun, depending on how good you are at the game. I personally liked the unlimited combat finishers one, since I'm bad at 3rd person action games and it makes the combats shorter.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 20, 2020

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Ok, I'll start with Bright Lord, Lord of the hunt and the GOTY Upgrade (the 3 big ones) and deactivate everything else. The warbands seem to be also poo poo, according to the steam reviews. I'll look at the other DLCs if/when the difficulty gets too hard.
Thank you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One thing with Mordor, do story missions until you unlock Branding. That’s the last major ability granted via story missions

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's similar to the Arkham games where it eases you into the mechanics over the course of the game, but the second game starts you off where the first game ended, so it's a lot more to take in all at once.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Better. A pure stealth playthrough in Dishonored 1 is perfectly doable but boring and poorly supported, in Dishonored 2 the powers and level design are way more cut out for it.

The story's kind of mediocre but that wasn't really the series' strong point to begin with.

John Murdoch posted:

It's not a traditional open world, but if you like Deus Ex and Dishonored then the answer is PREY. Play PREY.

I played and really enjoyed Dishonored when it came out. You guys convinced me to go check out Dishonored 2 and Prey, and I found out that if you buy them both together on steam, you get an 86% discount.

That price seems insanely good. Now I just need to find enough time to beat them both before Cyberpunk comes out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, any recommendations for a game like Freelancer? Kind of an arcade flight model, a plot to follow, but also some exploration and options in terms of what ship I want to fly?

Got rebel galaxy on sale on steam. Liked the atmosphere, but being stuck in 2d kinda killed the joy in flying. I've also had a lot of fun with X3, but that's an entirely different beast.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, any recommendations for a game like Freelancer? Kind of an arcade flight model, a plot to follow, but also some exploration and options in terms of what ship I want to fly?

Got rebel galaxy on sale on steam. Liked the atmosphere, but being stuck in 2d kinda killed the joy in flying. I've also had a lot of fun with X3, but that's an entirely different beast.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Yeah, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is literally the game you're looking for.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
Looking for a game for my dad. He's a fan of turn-based strategies - he likes Panzer General, Civilization, EU, Crusader Kings, stuff like that, and is looking for something new. Doesn't like space/fantasy settings though, so something more contemporary or historical,

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Evig Vandrar posted:

Looking for a game for my dad. He's a fan of turn-based strategies - he likes Panzer General, Civilization, EU, Crusader Kings, stuff like that, and is looking for something new. Doesn't like space/fantasy settings though, so something more contemporary or historical,

Already got Crusader Kings 3?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Evig Vandrar posted:

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Evig Vandrar posted:

Humankind is under development and looks like it'll be his jam, but it's not out yet.

If he likes Crusader Kings, then Imperator: Rome would maybe also be up his alley.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

sunaurus posted:

I played and really enjoyed Dishonored when it came out. You guys convinced me to go check out Dishonored 2 and Prey, and I found out that if you buy them both together on steam, you get an 86% discount.

That price seems insanely good. Now I just need to find enough time to beat them both before Cyberpunk comes out.

If you like dishonored play death of the outsider too it's great.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa?

Deltasquid posted:

Humankind is under development and looks like it'll be his jam, but it's not out yet.

If he likes Crusader Kings, then Imperator: Rome would maybe also be up his alley.

All of these sound good, we'll try one of those probably. Didn't know about Humankind, I loved Endless Legend but he wouldn't play it because of the fantasy element. I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out.

Evig Vandrar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 1, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evig Vandrar posted:

I hear good things about Mobius Front '83 although it's also supposed to be really hard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I hear good things about Mobius Front '83 although it's also supposed to be really hard.

It’s terrible. Great story, but the combat isn’t tactical. It’s random, and it’s slow as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It’s terrible. Great story, but the combat isn’t tactical. It’s random, and it’s slow as heck.

Well, that sucks, but thanks for the catch; I mention it because I was strongly considering picking it up myself on the strength of previous Zachtronics titles.